Activision Planning Pay to Play Call of Duty & UPDATE 3rd Development Team Created

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Activision Hints at Call of Duty Online Plans

Gamers demanding additional services and innovations, publisher says.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1044965p1.html

The online business models for many of Activision's key franchises could start to change in the near future.

During today's BMO Capital Markets Conference, CFO of Activision Blizzard Thomas Tippl was asked if the successful World of Warcraft online business model will ever translate into the publisher's other major franchises, such as Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. While Tippl said WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new montization models for its other titles soon enough.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added. "I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

Tippl added there is a demand from its core fanbase willing to pay for additional services and content.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," Tipple explained.

A supposed
leaked online
survey from June possibly hints at what Tippl is driving at.The survey centered around the idea of a monthly service that gives subscribers additional multiplayer and gameplay enhancements for future Call of Duty titles.
-------------------------
What a load of crap again from the great Activision. Bobby Kotick needs to make another 20 million off selling stock in a few years...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239827.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;11
Modern Warfare 2 launch window sees Bobby Kotick exercise nearly 2 million stock options for $1.99 million--which he immediately sells
for $22.2 million.

Minus the nearly $2 million strike price, the executive cleared nearly $20.2 million in just three days. The figure comes atop his normal compensation package, which totaled $14.95 million in 2008, according to Forbes magazine. Following the sale, Kotick still retained 3,109,729 shares of Activision Blizzard, which ended trading today at $11.44--making said shares worth $35,575,300.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can say without a doubt that if they do this MW2 will be my last CoD game. I mean I like the multiplayer and all but not enough to pay for it.

Same, I'm not enough into online gaming to pay on a per game basis.

Plus, I suck terribly and a pay service would worsen that as it would really only cater to the hardcore players and make it harder to get matched up with other sucky players. :D

I'm surprised they haven't done this sooner,given how millions of people play these games for months if not years on end. Yet unlike an MMO they only pay a one time upfront fee of 60 dollars. That's a lot of money activision is missing out on.

I won't be surprised but I also won't bother paying for it.

WoW and other MMORPGs can justify a monthly fee based at least partially on the variety that the games offer. Within the same persistent game world you can (at least in WoW)...

1. Go soloing and work on levelling up, completing quests, and the like.
2. Participate in small group or larger raid adventures.
3. Enter several different PvP game types ranging from relatively small 10 on 10 capture the flag scenarios to struggles for control of a major chunk of Northrend.
4. Work on levelling up various non-combat skills like blacksmithing or tailoring.
5. Play amateur stock trader by buying and selling stuff on the auction house.

...and so on. With a CoD online game, I don't see what your options are outside of just playing against other players. Whatever, I hope it doesn't involve MW2 so that way I haven't accidently helped Activision.

Assuming they won't be abusing a subscription plan for premium players to gain an advantage over others or fragment the community, it wouldn't bother me... I think there's a justifiable market for subscribers to play in exclusive tournaments (at least half of the subscriptions fees should reward the winning 10%). And then give subscribers a chance to beta test DLC.

This is absoulte rubbish. WoW works within it's business model because it appeals to the dungeons and dragons dregs of society. The middle aged losers that still live in their parent's basements charging their monthly subscription fee to their mother's debit card who rarely see the light of day let alone another real human being that are content with solely playing that one game and that one game alone. COD is a totally different animal and caters to a whole different genre of gamers. I play a little bit of everything (EXCEPT WoW) and gaming is not my life. As is the case with the vast majority of COD players I know.

I agree that if they do, do this I will not be purchasing another Call of Duty game. Xbox Live is expensive enough as it is. I will not be paying an additional fee.

[quote name='Moffman82']This is absoulte rubbish. WoW works within it's business model because it appeals to the dungeons and dragons dregs of society. The middle aged losers that still live in their parent's basements charging their monthly subscription fee to their mother's debit card who rarely see the light of day let alone another real human being that are content with solely playing that one game and that one game alone. COD is a totally different animal and caters to a whole different genre of gamers. I play a little bit of everything (EXCEPT WoW) and gaming is not my life. As is the case with the vast majority of COD players I know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah too true man, most COD players barely have time to actually play games cos they're so busy driving around in Ferrari's and banging lingerie models. WOW players though, pffft, bottom feeders the lot of them !!

Uh-oh... see what you all have done.. you kept buy the fucking game and buying the game, millions and now Activison thinks that we're pay whatever ransom they want to enjoy the game with all features engaged. lol Before its over, Activision is going to fuck up the whole joy of MW2 being greedy.

[quote name='benjamouth']Yeah too true man, most COD players barely have time to actually play games cos they're so busy driving around in Ferrari's and banging lingerie models. WOW players though, pffft, bottom feeders the lot of them !![/QUOTE]

I like the big "EXCEPT WoW" thing in there. Overcompensate much tough guy?

[quote name='Moffman82']This is absoulte rubbish. WoW works within it's business model because it appeals to the dungeons and dragons dregs of society. The middle aged losers that still live in their parent's basements charging their monthly subscription fee to their mother's debit card who rarely see the light of day let alone another real human being that are content with solely playing that one game and that one game alone. COD is a totally different animal and caters to a whole different genre of gamers. I play a little bit of everything (EXCEPT WoW) and gaming is not my life. As is the case with the vast majority of COD players I know.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

[quote name='Scorch']It'd weed out the little kids, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

What about the 27 year olds with the maturity of little kids?

absm.gif

[quote name='VipFREAK']And that's why I don't bother with anything from them. It's a clusterfuck of retards, douches, and tOOls anyway.[/QUOTE]
I concur. This will be my last MW title. Unless they do anything truly new/remarkable... doubt it.

For those that are into the game it might work out better. For players like me who play it for a few days per year, well I won't miss it.

What I've wondered is, I would love to know the demographics of the people who pay for WOW. We all make a lot of assumptions. The only thing I've been able to glean (from my friends that play) is that, the people who I know that play, that is the only game that they play. They go to work, then hop online for 2-3 (or more) hours a night.

I think there may be some cross over between this and FPS's. My brother in law plays Modern Warfare almost every night, and it has easily had 80% of his playtime over the last 6 months. I'm not sure if he would pay extra or not, but he might.

Then again, what premium services can you offer? What will they offer players for this fee (basically, why pay as opposed to playing any one of the really good fps's out there that is free)?

Gametypes: Maybe. But, if you charge for your FPS, your going to have a smaller community to begin with. Having 100 different game variations might be great, but if you can't fill more than 4-5 quickly, it'll be worthless.

Maps: Yes, but my guess is that WOW makes you pay for additional content, so Activison might expect you to buy these as well.

What else, you can already play with your friends? Scheduled tournaments with prizes? This might be fun, but a select few people will likely win most (the people that can play 60 hours a week. Will the guy that plays 10 hours a week pay a premium price for this when they can't win?

[quote name='Halo05']With a CoD online game, I don't see what your options are outside of just playing against other players.[/QUOTE]
you can see it already in the fact they make you "level up" to get guns and other gear.

you can tell they were going there, it was only a matter of time

[quote name='kainzero']you can see it already in the fact they make you "level up" to get guns and other gear.

you can tell they were going there, it was only a matter of time[/QUOTE]

I guess so. At this point I can just hope that Activision overextends itself with franchises and collapses once their games no longer pull in massive numbers.

I have no idea about WoW demographics. I'm 30 now and recently restarted although I might just finish off my current 60 day subscription. I was introduced to the game by another Marine in my unit back in 2005 so there goes the fat basement dweller stereotype. Like just about anything with millions and millions of fans, there probably isn't an easy to classify typical WoW player.

[quote name='Scorch']It'd weed out the little kids, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Hahah, that's what you think.

I've been playing various play to pay online games for years, and it just astounds me the number of underage children whose mommy and daddy will let them do anything with their credit card. So having a monthly fee won't weed out the little kids...and worse case scenario you will have to deal with rich brats ingame who spent alot of their parents money for downloadable content, enhancements, or straight out bought an account with high level gear and PVP ratings.

[quote name='Halo05']I guess so. At this point I can just hope that Activision overextends itself with franchises and collapses once their games no longer pull in massive numbers.[/QUOTE]
like i can already imagine it

-way longer times to exp up
-limit unlockables, make them require more exp
-come up with more perks and more rewards, like more guns and attachments

and there you go

[quote name='lordxixor101']
Then again, what premium services can you offer? What will they offer players for this fee (basically, why pay as opposed to playing any one of the really good fps's out there that is free)?
[/QUOTE]
Well they'd take a page from WoW as they say. Doesn't WoW allow you to reach higher levels only by buying the expansions. I'd assume they'd do the same thing with CoD, normal game only gets you to level 60 or w/e, must buy expansion (or pay fee) to get to level 70. Gametypes & maps agree. Maybe certain weapons or perks. I wouldn't put it past them to make things you have to pay extra for that will force other players to pay as well if they want to be competitive...

If ever you wanted more proof that Activision just can’t get enough of the Call of Duty franchise, here it is. It now seems that two dedicated teams and a yearly sequel release isn’t enough for the publishers overactive CoD drive.

The LA Times is reporting that a third mystery team has been signed to create yet another CoD release. Could Activision seriously be considering releasing a semi-annual Call of Duty title? The option would allow them to offer three flavors of CoD; past, present, and future.

A source close to the matter believes that a massively multi-player version of the game is being considered. Call of Duty MMO anyone? The possibilities really are limitless considering Activision’s propensity to milk its franchises like a little kid trying to suck every last drop of their beverage through a straw until you finally scream out “STOP THAT!”

We’ve sent an email off to Activision requesting a comment and will definitely update you the moment we hear back.
http://www.ripten.com/2009/11/18/activision-creating-third-call-of-duty-team/

[quote name='J7.']The LA Times is reporting that a third mystery team has been signed to create yet another CoD release. Could Activision seriously be considering releasing a semi-annual Call of Duty title? The option would allow them to offer three flavors of CoD; past, present, and future.[/QUOTE]

hi battlefield 1942/2/2142

[quote name='Halo05']fuck no, hopefully the eventual saturation of CoD is enough to take them out for good.

Acclaimivision.[/QUOTE]

Everyone forgets that it's Activision Blizzard now. They have WoW money coming in all the time. I doubt they'll go under if this shit tanks, they'll just go back to the way things are now.

Though I'd fucking LOVE to see them go under.

[quote name='62t']damn did Activision learn anything from Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero?[/QUOTE]

They learned that milking the living S*** out of a game series and running it to the ground is the best strategy, that constantly spamming their crap games will make it better. I AM NOT BUYING BLACK OPS PERIOD

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Everyone forgets that it's Activision Blizzard now. They have WoW money coming in all the time. I doubt they'll go under if this shit tanks, they'll just go back to the way things are now.

Though I'd fucking LOVE to see them go under.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
:applause:
I couldn't agree more. oh wait.:applause::applause:Yes I can.

COD is dead to me. Not getting Black Ops and I don't even play MW2 anymore. So I could care less if they start charging to play online. There are enough other shooters out there and on the way for me to get my multiplayer fix on.

Why look, a new user's first action on the site is to bump a useless thread that has been dead for nine months.

Another winner, here.

i know alot of you here wont go for it bt i think sadly enough thees enough of a rabid dedicated fanbase for this series and games like it that having a pay to play service would work and be profitable. i just pray it doesnt because if it does i can see alot of other series following their lead.

btw when it comes to games like wow do you have to buy each new expansion or does that come as part of the pay service?

bread's done
Back