Activision shafts Fans; cancels Marvel Ultimate Alliance DLC...

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Activion Statement:
"The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Downloadable Content was a limited time offer, expiring on December 31, 2009."

L I N K

I know it's been a month, but there maybe some CAG members still not aware of this, regarding Activision lapsing on it's Marvel deal.

DLC packs featuring Juggernaut, Psylocke, Magneto, Carnage, Black Panther, and Cable for MUA 2 which were up for download on Xbox Marketplace and PSN Store on November 1st, 2009 are no longer available; The Gold Edition characters for MUA 1 have also been taken down (but somehow their 2007 Spider-Man 3 game's DLC is still available).

What's worse is that people who do not have these downloaded characters, will not be able to play and join those who do have them online, because you would need a compatibility patch downloaded by Activision to join their missions, however Activision has also removed that compatibility patch along with the bonus character content.

So whoever buys the game now, not only can't they download the extra characters mentioned above, they can't also play alongside players who already own them.

To add insult to injury, Activision added Xbox 360 Achievements and PS3 Trophy Support for the 6 characters above, but since you won't be able to download those characters, you will be stuck at 1000 out of a possible 1250 achievement fulfillment.

However, Activision's statement above was also a lie.

Activision released this statement on January 6th, 2010 a whole week AFTER the service had already been canceled. Meaning, there was no consumer warning about this at all. Also, the content was removed at least a week before the 12-31-2009 date they had stated. I personally checked on 12-26-2009 after I had received some points for Christmas the day before, and it was no longer there. A lot of people on Activision's message boards (HeroHQ) have said that the content was taken off even before Christmas.

The online servers are currently down too, but said to be only temporary as they are trying to move it to another server. With what's been going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised if this too was canceled.

Activision has really dropped the ball on this one. Way to shaft your fans.

On a side note; if you feel it would make a difference, you can contact Activision's Community Manager on Twitter:

[quote name='jkanownik']

Activision has a new Community Manager.

I encourage you to express your frustration with him here:

http://twitter.com/oneofswords

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
if thats true then theres always a chance another version of the game will be released with all that content on it ( a gh version).

[quote name='lokizz']if thats true then theres always a chance another version of the game will be released with all that content on it ( a gh version).[/QUOTE]

:applause:Exactly. It seems like it's the norm nowadays to release 2 versions of a game. One where the early adopters who want it have to buy all of the 'extra' shit via the PSN store or XBLM and the 'Game Of The Year' edition where all of that extra crap is included.

Either way, consumers get fucked over. Most of the garbage released as 'add-ons' is shit anyway and most of it is worth nowhere near the highway robbery prices they want for it($10 for some extra missions in many games, for example).

Totally fucking ridiculous. I didn't even know the MUA2 DLC had been put up until it was taken down.

Combine this with the utter fucking debacle of the MUA1 DLC (where it was broken to the point of breaking your save file upon release), and they can just fuck off.

It's Activision, what did you expect? This is the same company who wants to fill your house full of plastic equipment for their $100 dollar games. Who said they wanted to take the fun out of making games and raise the prices on their games much higher.

So this was like a 1 month dlc deal or what? shitty on their part to release the dlc for sale for about a month then pull the plug for whatever reasons. I know it hasn't sold alot lately but it does have a fan base. But honestly, I found mua2 used for $16.99 and it's only been out for around 3 months I think so that sucks.

I don't fucking believe this.
I'd gotten MUA2 for christmas and was pretty much waiting on tax returns and the like to buy the DLC. (Yay job hunting) Now it's flat out removed?

Here's to hoping / praying that this is all a mistake or misunderstanding, or that Activision at least goes back and makes these available again. We're still paying money for the content, I don't see what more they want.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I wanted 2 boost this.
I need the online achieve o's.
So the only way2 get dem is with other peeps dat have the DLC.
horseshit.jpg

Something just crossed my mind. This one's only for 360 users sadly, but still something.

Anyone remember the golden lancer fiasco way back? How you could use the link from someone's download history to see the Golden Lancer and download it even without the Gears of War 2 LE? They "fixed" it by adjusting the price for LE items to stupidly high prices. That said though, this wasn't LE. This was a legit item. Would the price still be there, unchanged?

This has me wondering. Could we use someone's link to MUA2 dlc (from xbox.com) while logged into our own gamertags to purchase it in a roundabout way? If anyone did grab the 360 DLC, please post if you can still get a link to it in your download history or not.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Something just crossed my mind. This one's only for 360 users sadly, but still something.

Anyone remember the golden lancer fiasco way back? How you could use the link from someone's download history to see the Golden Lancer and download it even without the Gears of War 2 LE? They "fixed" it by adjusting the price for LE items to stupidly high prices. That said though, this wasn't LE. This was a legit item. Would the price still be there, unchanged?

This has me wondering. Could we use someone's link to MUA2 dlc (from xbox.com) while logged into our own gamertags to purchase it in a roundabout way? If anyone did grab the 360 DLC, please post if you can still get a link to it in your download history or not.[/QUOTE]
Sadly, it doesn't work on MUA 2 (but works for MUA 1).

People at Activision's forums (HeroHQ) and the Gamespot Forums have been trying to do just that.

Usually you can get the link of the content you downloaded in your history, but when for some reason you click on any kind of MUA 2 content in your queue, it will only display "No Content Found".

See, this is actually a serious problem with all digital distribution. When the companies decide to take it down from their servers, there's absolutely no hope of buying a game--not even at inflated eBay prices.

I'm surprised there's still people that don't know about this. It does suck, most assuredly. I really wish I'd gotten the DLC back when it came out now. At least I have Juggs.

Makes me wonder if Marvel & Activision had some kind of agreement that expired at the end of last year? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause the dlc to be pulled so quickly.

This is so lame. I never got to pick up Juggs or the other DLC I was hoping for a further deal down the road or when I got time to finish MUA2 I would go back to it. But to eliminate DLC? The hell?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Makes me wonder if Marvel & Activision had some kind of agreement that expired at the end of last year? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause the dlc to be pulled so quickly.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they lost the rights to use the Marvel characters in DLC.

Son of a Thor!

And here I was hoping to use my new points for one of them blasted DLC after getting the game for cheap a few days ago!

Screw you Activision!!!

Glad I was never interested in picking this game up. I know sales were poor so that could be another reason for Activision's lack of support.

Been sitting on this since around it's release date. I got Juggs, but not the other pack.. It's really frustrating that they promise more DLC for this game than the first one then pulled this crap.

If I hadn't already played the first level (and added it to my trophy card), i'd probably just scrap it, but I guess I'll play through it anyway.

One more thing-- the fact is that now people who did buy the DLC cannot play the game with people who have not purchased it since the compatability packs are gone. That means that if i want to co-op with a friend, i'll be forced to uninstall my game data, and reload a copy without the Juggernaut DLC. So it almost negates the purchase of the DLC entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nbballard']
One more thing-- the fact is that now people who did buy the DLC cannot play the game with people who have not purchased it since the compatability packs are gone. That means that if i want to co-op with a friend, i'll be forced to uninstall my game data, and reload a copy without the Juggernaut DLC. So it almost negates the purchase of the DLC entirely.[/QUOTE]

Thats the worst. Real smart move to split the online community for a game that doesn't have the largest online community to begin with.

For similar reasons I can't play CoD WaW online anymore because I didn't buy the second and third map pack. I can technically still play, but I'll be dropped from the server every other game when a map I don't have comes up.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I actually wanted to get MUA2, but now... I can wait for a PH release with the DLC or not at all. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Same here. fuck 'em, if they want to ruin the game, have at it.

Alienating your customers is a bold strategy, I wonder how it'll work out in the long run.

I regretted buying this game before I heard about this, because the other people who bought it never really played it again after our first session. But now I miss that $60 all the more.

Activision's forum manager just announced that they'll be making X-Men Legends 3... just great. Get our money now, screw us later.

Will they at least bring back the MUA DLCs???

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Activision's forum manager just announced that they'll be making X-Men Legends 3... just great. Get our money now, screw us later.

Will they at least bring back the MUA DLCs???[/QUOTE]

Link? I loved me some Legends.

On topic though, this is pretty fucked. I bought the DLC. I dug the game, but knowing that its already been abandoned is crap. I wanted more DLC too.

He is useless:

@OneOfSwords Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 dead?

@me Define dead? The game works fine, still available unless it's sold out. DLC is offline per the limited time offer. Otherwise...?

@OneOfSwords The game being discounted and given away. Can't play with friends because DLC was "limited" - no one can get all 1250 etc. etc.

Me: Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 being abandoned by Activision?

One of Swords :I think it's just out of print. If you've got a copy, hold on to it. The DLC is not coming back to my knowledge, and I think the copies in the stores are all that's left.

Me: Thank you very much.

Just asked on Facebook a little bit ago. Its not 'much', but at least I know I've got no hopes of any more DLC, like I assumed.

Yesterday

Me: @One of Swords: With popularity of Marvel games and films lately what are the chances Activision decides to rake more money by bringing Ultimate Alliance DLC's back?

One of Swords: @Me: Just stay tuned for our amazing new Spider-Man game coming this year!

...idiot.

If anyone still happens to visit this thread, I have a question. Since Activision has pulled the DLC from Live and people can no longer download them, what happens if you have the packs purchased and downloaded and your Xbox decides to crap out and you have to get a replacement? Is that money just into the wind or are the downloads linked to your gamertag (I doubt it).

[quote name='OmegaRicochet']If anyone still happens to visit this thread, I have a question. Since Activision has pulled the DLC from Live and people can no longer download them, what happens if you have the packs purchased and downloaded and your Xbox decides to crap out and you have to get a replacement? Is that money just into the wind or are the downloads linked to your gamertag (I doubt it).[/QUOTE]
The downloads remain in your purchase history and they can be re-downloaded at any time.

bread's done
Back