Adam Sessler quits G4

[quote name='Broken Cage']Any gamer hardcore enough to watch an entire station about video games is going to be playing video games on his TV, not watching people talk about video games.

It really seems like a bad idea at its core to me.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Back when they did quality reviews it let you avoid some stinkers. Of course now we can all just goto IGN, so it kind of makes a videogame station moot. Hence the crap shows full of buxom babes and fan service.

[quote name='epobirs']The really hardcore gamer has two HDTVs side by side. He still hasn't forgotten that Sony promised dual screen support on the PS3. So he can game and watch G4 simultaneously. Plus, if he crosses his eyes just right it's almost free 3D![/QUOTE]

:lol:

Not that I have cable, but that eliminates the final reason I had any interest left in G4. I miss the old Tech TV days, back when The Screen Savers and Call For Help and so on were still on TV. Only good thing is that between Revision3 and TWiT, technology shows are plentiful online now and more interesting and focused than the old Tech TV shows. Gaming and technology shows are really too niche for television but a great fit online.

damn id never thought hed leave must be something going on internally but without him there theres really only morgan webb left.maybe she will host all the shows lol.

[quote name='camoor']I disagree. Back when they did quality reviews it let you avoid some stinkers. Of course now we can all just goto IGN, so it kind of makes a videogame station moot. Hence the crap shows full of buxom babes and fan service. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was really only useful back before I had broadband as it was the only way to get video reviews and get glimpses of games in action in general.

Haven't watched G4 (or TechTV before it) in probably a decade. Was never interested in the tech shows as I'm not much of a techie. So all I watched were the review shows occasionally back in the day.

Holy shit @ Kevin leaving too. I never thought that would happen. Definitely agree that there's something seriously screwed behind the scenes. GGPO AOTS as that was one of the main reasons anyone was even remotely interested in watching G4.

It was only a matter of time before the dominoes fell. The network will implode as a result of this, which sucks because nobody will ever try making a channel like this again. Looks like Cartoon Network will remain my go-to channel when there's nothing on (90% of the time).

I stopped watching AOTS for a while before DirecTV and G4 had that fallout and then I literally had no choice but to not watch it. Still, I was saddened to hear Sessler was leaving and almost just as sad to hear Pereira's leaving as well. RIP G4.

Not surprised G4 is dying. G4 became Spike TV Lite and the only show that I would actually watch on the damn station was x-play (when it was still carried by DirectTV). I hated AOTS and Kevin Pereira with a passion. Even then x-play is still terrible compared to back in 2003/2004 ish when I started watching it.

I feel bad for everyone working there though. It's tough seeing people lose jobs in this economy. Best Wishes for Sess though, but I feel like there is better opportunities for him.

I do feel like x-play could continue on another network though. I mean the premise of the show in theory is still valid. As long as it stopped being as retarded as it became on G4.

I use to watch G4 a lot when they were TechTV. I actually got interested in computers by watching some of the shows with my brother. I'm sad to see the network pretty much in free fall right now.. but it was never the same after it became G4.

[quote name='Katsumi']I use to watch G4 a lot when they were TechTV. I actually got interested in computers by watching some of the shows with my brother. I'm sad to see the network pretty much in free fall right now.. but it was never the same after it became G4.[/QUOTE]
TechTV is the reason I took Computer Science in college. I just watched it and got really interested in computers and such. To this day I am still pissed TechTV got bought and became G4.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Holy shit @ Kevin leaving too. I never thought that would happen. Definitely agree that there's something seriously screwed behind the scenes. GGPO AOTS as that was one of the main reasons anyone was even remotely interested in watching G4.[/QUOTE]

Well you can look back as far as late 2010/early 2011 as G4tv.com lost first Patrick Klepek (who broke the biggest story in G4's history with the IW firings) then Abbie Heppe. Olivia as well I guess can be related to this since I'm sure they weren't going to pay her what Comedy Central and NBC were going to do.

Adam and Kevin just scream cost-cutting measures to me. This is just like how the Pittsburg Pirates and the Kansas City Royals are run in baseball.

Talk about the imminent death of G4 soon... if G4 created more original shows and not reruns of Cheaters and Cops then they would be great.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Talk about the imminent death of G4 soon... if G4 created more original shows and not reruns of Cheaters and Cops then they would be great.[/QUOTE]

agreed i still think they should do some kind of call in discussion show on things like games, movies, tv and such but with all the name brand people leaving itll probably be hosted by interns and cleaning people.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Talk about the imminent death of G4 soon... if G4 created more original shows and not reruns of Cheaters and Cops then they would be great.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lokizz']agreed i still think they should do some kind of call in discussion show on things like games, movies, tv and such but with all the name brand people leaving itll probably be hosted by interns and cleaning people.[/QUOTE]

They used to have tons of game related shows. Hell, there was a time when they'd show nothing but a montage of games old and new. But I'm guessing the network simply wasn't getting any viewers. My guess their core audience, gamers, simply don't care to watch TV all that much.. if you're sitting in front of a TV, why not play games?

What they need to do is merge with FX or something and just produce some real gaming shows, rather than try to run an entire network. But they'll likely just be shut down.

thats why you need some level of live interactivity just watching shows can be boring so if you can join in live and talk directly with hosts and guests that could up the interest and popularity. but you need to have people on who truly know and love the topics.

one thing about olivia munn i couldnt stand was how she always went on about how she was into this or that but cmon really? gotta give her props for using the nerds to up her fame.

[quote name='lokizz']thats why you need some level of live interactivity just watching shows can be boring so if you can join in live and talk directly with hosts and guests that could up the interest and popularity. but you need to have people on who truly know and love the topics.
[/QUOTE]

Actually both G4 and TechTV had shows like that. TechTV had Call for Help, The Screensavers, and I am sure there might have been more (although they were computer related, but still). G4 had G4tv.com which was a community oriented show with live chat and such with the community. No clue if they had call ins.

I think the real problem here is just getting viewers. I mean if the subject at hand is too in depth, you lack the viewers who actually want to watch because your show is so niche, yet if it's too broad you end up with G4 today.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually both G4 and TechTV had shows like that. TechTV had Call for Help, The Screensavers, and I am sure there might have been more (although they were computer related, but still). G4 had G4tv.com which was a community oriented show with live chat and such with the community. No clue if they had call ins.

I think the real problem here is just getting viewers. I mean if the subject at hand is too in depth, you lack the viewers who actually want to watch because your show is so niche, yet if it's too broad you end up with G4 today.[/QUOTE]

when tech tv merged with that one channel there was a show like it with 2 blonde chicks and i believe tommy tallrico or maybe he came on a few times i dunno but i liked that show ok. right now thers nothing on tv that really talks about any of those topics but i guess with all the shows online it may be a moot point to even try.

[quote name='lokizz']thats why you need some level of live interactivity just watching shows can be boring so if you can join in live and talk directly with hosts and guests that could up the interest and popularity. but you need to have people on who truly know and love the topics.

one thing about olivia munn i couldnt stand was how she always went on about how she was into this or that but cmon really? gotta give her props for using the nerds to up her fame.[/QUOTE]

How would you pick and choose who gets to go on the air when it comes to random gamers without blowing up your budget and working under time constraints? How many gamers would you need to screen on a daily basis just to get 1 person who truly loves the topic? How would you even qualify someone who "truly" loves a topic? How do you know that people would even add anything constructive to the discussion?

And fine, lets say you figured all of that out. How long is the show going to be? I doubt it'll last more than 1 hour at max. What do they do the remaining 23 hours?

The idea sounds fine on paper but realisticly, I don't think it would be possible... the next best thing would be to get established bloggers and industry "experts" like GT does... but that shit sucks.

What could have worked is competitive gaming (which I find laughable that they're passing it on as a sport) which is getting more and more popular... but even that probably couldn't be a year-round thing.

I remember when they had a show about nothing but video game trailers for 30 mins and had a theme behind it and it was entertaining. Now we get cop re-runs.

[quote name='Vinny']How would you pick and choose who gets to go on the air when it comes to random gamers without blowing up your budget and working under time constraints? How many gamers would you need to screen on a daily basis just to get 1 person who truly loves the topic? How would you even qualify someone who "truly" loves a topic? How do you know that people would even add anything constructive to the discussion?

And fine, lets say you figured all of that out. How long is the show going to be? I doubt it'll last more than 1 hour at max. What do they do the remaining 23 hours?

The idea sounds fine on paper but realisticly, I don't think it would be possible... the next best thing would be to get established bloggers and industry "experts" like GT does... but that shit sucks.

What could have worked is competitive gaming (which I find laughable that they're passing it on as a sport) which is getting more and more popular... but even that probably couldn't be a year-round thing.[/QUOTE]

youre not inviting gamers to the show they just call in the people coming to the show would be those who are a part of each respective industry i mentioned( comics, movies, games, tv). webb, sesslar, the comic chick and that movie guy could be the hosts .

all people who call in would be screend and i wouldnt worry about someone being stupid because the show could easily be on a delay so if someone acts stupid it can be easily blocked out.

it shouldnt be to hard for them to find guests to come in.

[quote name='lokizz']youre not inviting gamers to the show they just call in the people coming to the show would be those who are a part of each respective industry i mentioned( comics, movies, games, tv). webb, sesslar, the comic chick and that movie guy could be the hosts .

all people who call in would be screend and i wouldnt worry about someone being stupid because the show could easily be on a delay so if someone acts stupid it can be easily blocked out.

it shouldnt be to hard for them to find guests to come in.[/QUOTE]

Uh... yeah, that was the presumption with which I made my post. Obviously they're not going to fly people to their studios every day...:roll:

My point is that it doesn't work... screening people is time consuming and expensive. So is doing a live broadcast (which is why you see so few unless they're very popular, like sports). So is bringing in guests (whom G4 would have to pay all travel and room expenses for). Now think, they have do this live, at least 5 days a week, every week.

[quote name='Vinny']Uh... yeah, that was the presumption with which I made my post. Obviously they're not going to fly people to their studios every day...:roll:

My point is that it doesn't work... screening people is time consuming and expensive. So is doing a live broadcast (which is why you see so few unless they're very popular, like sports). So is bringing in guests (whom G4 would have to pay all travel and room expenses for). Now think, they have do this live, at least 5 days a week, every week.[/QUOTE]

youre really over thinking an idea that will never come to be. not to mention if they did have people come in id assume itd be locally ( as far as games go ). on top of which g4 studios is in santa monica ca so how hard would it be for them to bring in people from hollywood or any other number of places in ca that have people making films, movie, comics ect.

correction theyre in la.
and they dont have to be live in studio theres this invention called a camera and it beams images all over the planet. live even. that said as much as i thin itd work its probably too late for them to do this with all of their main talent gone and leaving. its a thought a whim nothing more so yeah relax.

[quote name='GUNNM']I remember when they had a show about nothing but video game trailers for 30 mins and had a theme behind it and it was entertaining. Now we get cop re-runs.[/QUOTE]

That was CinemaTECH, and it was AWESOME. The last time I can recall seeing that was in 2008 during the summer months at around lunchtime, when they'd have rerun marathons of it.

Even after TechTV became G4, they still had decent programming. I first got Dish Network in 2006, the first time I was able to watch the station; they showed a lot of old TechTV shows, as well as Cheat! and other fun programs like Brainiac with Richard Hammond. The biggest downfall to this network is their decision to go with so much reality bullshit over original programming or other unique and unlicensed material. Nobody wants to watch COPS or Campus PD, and nobody wants to watch 10 hours of Ninja Warrior, especially after seeing every episode already. We wanted original programming, or new programming, or even some engaging anime that other networks wouldn't dare show.

I don't blame these guys for quitting. It's just a shame that so many bad decisions were made in how this network was handled.

Wow this sucks I really can't believe Kevin is leaving aots, he was the only reason I watched it sometimes aside from Sara Underwood. I used to love Xplay when they were actually a funny show with sketches and funny reviews. Towards the end they just took themselves way to seriously. I used to love the old G4 with Icons, Cinamatech, Arena, I even used to watch cheat from time to time lol. But I'm glad G4 is dying its no where near as entertaining as it used to be with nothing but 24/7 ninja warrior and cops.

I like the cartoons that they showed recently in Blade, Iron Man, X-Men, and Wolverine. They should show more cartoons but with video games like Street Fighter Animated Movie and Fatal Fury 2.

[quote name='Blade']

I don't blame these guys for quitting. It's just a shame that so many bad decisions were made in how this network was handled.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree, G4 could of potentially been a place for learning, discovery and fun. Kinda like Tech TV was in the old days. I mean I am not saying just recreate Tech TV, it can be made more friendly to today's audience but overall, I believe that if they went more original programming catered to the gamer society (and instead of cops, do like old cartoons, anime, even old science shows or something), it could of been a great network. Instead they basically trashed the network. Although Ninja Warrior was alright, but I mean it's one of those things you don't marathon every single week. I think for me it's sad to see G4 go because well there is no Tech channel. I mean we have science channels but none of them really are for tech. It's all science, and I would like to have a channel that does things like product reviews and such. Sure there is the internet, but then again at my connection speeds, watching video is sometimes a royal pain in the ass.

Yeah, if they had expanded to shows about reviewing consumer electronics and learning how to use certain technologies (machinima tools, photoshopping, etc) they would have captured a very large market. Instead they just settled for what they had left and did nothing. They by all rights deserve to die now.

If they were smart, they would have had a gamer pawnstars/auction hunters show. That would've been a huge hit among collectors who live in flea markets/ebay.

At least we still have morgan "i'm so attractive and such a videogame fan,i'm a nerd's dreamgirl:roll:"webb.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, if they had expanded to shows about reviewing consumer electronics and learning how to use certain technologies (machinima tools, photoshopping, etc) they would have captured a very large market.[/QUOTE]

Maybe before broadband was wide spread.

After that I figure most techies would rather just stream reviews and how to's online rather than watch a TV channel for that info.

Any body who says Adam is a dbag or an idiot, is an idiot. Did nobody watch his Soapbox on the G4 website? He was extremely passionate and educated about games, sci-fi, and the general "nerd" culture. He was literally the only good part about watching the E3 conference on G4. The only time I watched G4 was at E3, and only the Sony/MS/Nintendo conferences.

I'd watch E3 online, but online services always have a lag.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Any body who says Adam is a dbag or an idiot, is an idiot. Did nobody watch his Soapbox on the G4 website? He was extremely passionate and educated about games, sci-fi, and the general "nerd" culture. He was literally the only good part about watching the E3 conference on G4. The only time I watched G4 was at E3, and only the Sony/MS/Nintendo conferences.

I'd watch E3 online, but online services always have a lag.[/QUOTE]

Mostly agree, although I thought his rushed delivery was an annoying gimmick. I think that's what most people react to.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Maybe before broadband was wide spread.

After that I figure most techies would rather just stream reviews and how to's online rather than watch a TV channel for that info.[/QUOTE]
See, when I go to look for something, there's a lot of misinformation or really 'dirty' ways to do things. I'm talking about professional how-to's that really cover the subject and give you a result you can be proud of. You go on youtube and you'll find stuff that is very bare bones or sometimes not at all what you were looking for.

I've often thought about going back to school for personal pleasure in video editing, but to me it seems like a waste of money given what you can find sometimes online. There's a lot of talented people out there but they never make tutorials on stuff, which sucks. That's the kind of stuff I'd love to see on a network devoted to guys like me.

I was thinking more sites like CNET etc. for reviews. Youtube is very hit or miss as you note.

Not sure if there are any good sites with reliable how to videos. I'd think so, but I'm not a tech person so I've never looked.

[quote name='Jodou']

I've often thought about going back to school for personal pleasure in video editing, but to me it seems like a waste of money given what you can find sometimes online. There's a lot of talented people out there but they never make tutorials on stuff, which sucks. That's the kind of stuff I'd love to see on a network devoted to guys like me.[/QUOTE]
This is kinda how I feel. I feel like the internet has tutorials and such, but finding something to x subject like photoshop or video editing is a royal bitch to find. Plus usually for me, it doesn't cover what I need. On the other hand, there is things like books, but books can end up costing a lot of money (like $50+ dollars for some books easily, and I have no way of knowing how good/useful they are).

I think if they could have even like a weekly block on like a Saturday morning on subjects like how to shoot photography, how to use photoshop/video editing, etc. Stuff that well has a semi large potential user base, it could go over very well. The thing is that I am think that not everyone out there thinks hey let me go to you tube or x site for tutorials on x software (because maybe some people are like not really computer friendly but want to learn something like photography), so I think it would work nicely.

Books just annoy the shit out of me lol. There's such a mix of what I already know with what I don't and I just want to skip to the goodies. I'm too much of a visual learner to get much use from them anyway. Hands on approach is the way for me.

i loved zdtv... then tech tv....
always disliked g4...
hardly ever watch anything on g4.... last time i saw sessler.... he had changed his look... bald with chinstripe? maybe it's him from another dimension...

-----------GOOD---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
956221-VF32Z6Z.jpg
956222-B3EY0ZO.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------EVIL-----------------------

[quote name='canvasch']i loved zdtv... then tech tv....
always disliked g4...
hardly ever watch anything on g4.... last time i saw sessler.... he had changed his look... bald with chinstripe? maybe it's him from another dimension...
[/QUOTE]

If you ever watch earlier videos of Sessler and I mean TechTV/ZD TV videos of him, it's like his hair was never introduced to a comb :lol:. Then G4 came and I guess he had to look proper. I noticed the trend with Morgan. When x-play was on TechTV Morgan had a more casual, less made up appearance. Now I guess G4 forced her to how she dresses and stuff.

I still remember watching the screensavers and Patrick Norton would wear a kilt on air :lol:.

Surprised he was on that network for so long, I remember watching extended play since I was around 10-12 years old. Whatever he does now I hope he can still make a full time career.

There is literally nothing left for me on G4 now that Sessler and Periera are gone/leaving. And yes - as terrible as AotS is, I have some respect for KP.

Everyone from TechTV is gone - Patrick Norton, Leo Laporte, Yoshi, Kevin Rose, Tina Wood... The list goes on. Sure, Morgan Webb is still around but she's never commanded the respect the rest have.

Now that Sessler is gone, G4 is doomed. He was the only person keeping XPlay relevant and integral.

bread's done
Back