*addtional 15 off for 7800gs!* Some Graphics card for dead end AGP users

Mad-B-Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
'Kay, I normally just lurk around, never starting a thread, so be gentle if I'm doing it wrong here.

Anywho, I was lurking around Tom's hardware and there was a post about some AGP cards on sale at newegg.

While the X850XTpe, X850XT, and 7600GT are long gone, there is still some hope for AGP'ers.

BBA X850 pro dropped to $130 no rebates:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102606

For those who want better, 7800GS prices are on the move down: Considering 7600GT AGP is MIA, the BFG below looks good.

$193 AR+ $15 code BFG7800GS BFG 7800GS OC (400/1250):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

$239 AR eVGA 7800GS (reference speed):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130269
Also, Fry's has the BFG 6800GS for 129.99 after rebate. Though the X850 Pro might be better if you plan to flash it. Not that it's that great of a price though, just thought I'd mention it.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5008015

Many will probably view AGP as a dead interface, though for Dead end users like me, running off a Prescott Socket 478 (or AMD socket A or whatever), it's a pretty nice deal. You can flash the X850 Pro to an XT and Overclock the 7800GS OC for about 10% percent more power or so.

I personally jumped on the BFG 7800GS OC, pushing back my "upgrade" (buying an entire new box basicly) from Q2 2007 to proabaly well into 2008. By then, Vista and DX10 cards would probably be pretty decent.

If you can still salvage your CPU to a new PCI-E mobo, don't bother with this deal.

(Edit 1 : Fixed link that was wrong and updated the BFG rebate)
(Edit 2 : Fixed BFG price. Went up 20 bucks)
(Edit 3 : Added the BFG 6800GS)
(Edit 4 : Added 15 off Coupon "BFG7800GS" for BFG 7800GS OC)

I highly recommend BFG. Awesome lifetime warranty. Had to use it. No questions asked. What are you upgrading from? I currently have a bfg 6800gt 256 agp. Probably hold off until next year when I upgrade my comp to dual core.

[quote name='scoobyx2']I highly recommend BFG. Awesome lifetime warranty. Had to use it. No questions asked. What are you upgrading from? I currently have a bfg 6800gt 256 agp. Probably hold off until next year when I upgrade my comp to dual core.[/quote]

An Asus 9600XT, so it's a HUGE jump. Worth it IMO, but we'll have to see how the card really is. I'm sure it'll be great, it is the second or third fastest AGP card on the market after all. Newegg basicly has it for 70 bucks cheaper than what other places offer AR (80 if you don't have to pay tax).

The 9600XT been a working hard for me for the past 2 years though. I'm just going to put her in the small box, if I ever get that thing running agin, as it won't boot, and really to lazy to trouble shoot it.

I'm a bigger loser. I have only PCI, not PCI-X, just plain old PCI!

Any suggestions for me other than new computer?

2.6 celeron 256 megs, GRAPHICS ON THE MOBO!

[quote name='robbyH']I'm a bigger loser. I have only PCI, not PCI-X, just plain old PCI!

2.6 celeron 256 megs, GRAPHICS ON THE MOBO![/QUOTE]

What games do you play or want to play in the future?

I think that original poster on TH jumped the gun a bit. One of the reasons that Leadtek's 7600GT AGP disappeared from Newegg's site last week was because of a memory timing problem in the latest batch. They are supposed to have a memory clock of 700MHz (1400MHz effective) but they started getting in some that were only running 350Mz (700MHz effective). We have not seen the last of the 7600GT by a long shot. They could never keep them in stock for more than a handful of hours! I know XFX recently announced their AGP 7600GT and hopefully it will show up on the market soon. The 7600GT just seems to be a better all around card than the monsterous and crippled 7800GS.

[quote name='icecubedx5']9800 Pro to X850 Pro, worth the jump? Is X850 Pro close to an X850XT PE in performance?[/QUOTE]

Worth the jump but not close to the XTPE. More pipes and more clocks on the XTPE gives it an advantage.

That's really funny. I just bought the BFG card yesterday from NewEgg and thought the rebate was nice, and now it's the first thread I see on here.

Is the BFG 7800GS much better than the X850 pro? Currently have a 9800XT so I'd guess either would be a big step up.

Also, would waiting for restock on a 7600GT be worth it over a 7800GS? - GT line beats GS even if older model?

[quote name='Johnny Postman']Is the BFG 7800GS much better than the X850 pro? Currently have a 9800XT so I'd guess either would be a big step up.[/QUOTE]

7800GS would be in X850XT territory. Better, but not $79 better.

For AGP systems, I would just get the best bang for buck card out and save for a new system (that has PCI-E).

[quote name='spidey']Worth the jump but not close to the XTPE. More pipes and more clocks on the XTPE gives it an advantage.[/QUOTE]
Can the pixel pipes on the X850PRO be unlocked with a BIOS flash to essentially make it a X850XT? I know with my X800GTO (12 pipes) I was able to flash it to an X800XL (16 pipes).

Shit man I bought the 7800GS at the end of August for like $280 after rebate. It's an amazing card. I can run FEAR Highest Settings w/ a P4 3.0Ghz and 2 Gigs of DDR 400 Ram.

[quote name='redline']Can the pixel pipes on the X850PRO be unlocked with a BIOS flash to essentially make it a X850XT? I know with my X800GTO (12 pipes) I was able to flash it to an X800XL (16 pipes).[/QUOTE]

VIVO boards with 1.6ns ram can have the BIOS flashed to be a X850XT/XTPE. YMMV.

There was a single user review that stated that he/she was able to unlock the extra pipes. They didn't say how but said it was done.

$130 for a X850Pro is great. $130 for a unlockable card is a no brainer is you're tight on a budget. I'm pretty sure the BBA X850Pro can do it.

Look into this thread:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=188

[quote name='buttasuperb']I was planning on getting either the BFG of XFX 7800gs.

Will the 7600gt agp be cheaper and better?[/QUOTE]

Stock, they are about the same. 7600GT is older tech so it has a 128bit memory interface whereas the 7800GS has 256bit. The 7600GT also has less pipes (16vs12 and 6vs5 vertex shaders). Even though the 7600GT's clocks are higher it still performs about the same as a 7800GS. I would get the GS and overclock it as much as you can within safe temperatures.

I'm a bigger loser. I have only PCI, not PCI-X, just plain old PCI!

2.6 celeron 256 megs, GRAPHICS ON THE MOBO!

For 3D games? There is none. You could get a 3Dfx VooDoo2, which I think was the last decent PCI-based 3D card. Unfortunately, that kind of card peaked out at Quake 2.

[quote name='espy605']For 3D games? There is none. You could get a 3Dfx VooDoo2, which I think was the last decent PCI-based 3D card. Unfortunately, that kind of card peaked out at Quake 2.[/QUOTE]

Not true. There are much more recent GPUs available for use in PCI slots. Do a Google search for 'PCI video cards' and you can find something recent as the GeForce FX5500 in a PCI version from Inno3D.

The bigger issue is whether it is worth spending the money to upgrade a machine of that vintage compared to just starting from scratch.

The best deal I've seen recently for an AGP upgrade to older machines is an Nvidia 6200LE with 256MB for $25 AR at Fry's this was last month but the deal may come around again. The price before rebate was $50.

If you have AGP but don't want to sink too much into an older system, this will give some boost for cheap.

[quote name='epobirs']The best deal I've seen recently for an AGP upgrade to older machines is an Nvidia 6200LE with 256MB for $25 AR at Fry's this was last month but the deal may come around again. The price before rebate was $50.

If you have AGP but don't want to sink too much into an older system, this will give some boost for cheap.[/quote]
Don't let the 6xxx fool you, 6 indicates the generation of the card.

The 6200 is actually a very low end card, among the slowest cards marketed for gaming of the past 2 years.

The fastest 6200, the TC is unable to run HL2 at a playable speed.

I'll be posting my before with the 9600XT and After with the 7800GS OC on probably Wednesday. I might as well OC the CPU a bit. My box isn't much of a kicker, but she has a bit of hidden potential I guess.

If anybody wants it, I bought a Radeon 9550 AGP two weeks ago, but I can't use it because it won't work with the system I want to build. It's brand new and I can let it go for cheap, just $40 shipped.

Sorry in advance if this bothers anybody.

Pm possibly forthcoming on that Radeon 9550. Makes me wince, I remember buying my 6800OC for 300 and thinking it was a deal. A bit more than I want to drop really for the listed ones, need a card for the missus to play Sims 2 at a respectable rez.

[quote name='epobirs']The best deal I've seen recently for an AGP upgrade to older machines is an Nvidia 6200LE with 256MB for $25 AR at Fry's this was last month but the deal may come around again. The price before rebate was $50.

If you have AGP but don't want to sink too much into an older system, this will give some boost for cheap.[/quote]I'm not exactly in the market for a cheap AGP card, but $25 can't be beat. Any other cards around for this cheap?

a heads up, I found the ati x1600 pro 512 mb gddr2 for agp at best buy on a sale for 180, and combined it with the monthly in the mail 10% off coupons i get to drop it to 160+ after tax, moved up from the 9800 sapphire radeon and it was a major improvement (doom 3 went from 46 fps at high to 78 fps on ultra). to bad my x850xse died, that was a sweet card (gpu shyt out, warrenty expired).

So I got the card today For some reason, the UPS guy didn't knock, just left the box in front of the door.

Anywho, I didn't really have time to tweak or whatever, all I got to do was pop it in, install drivers, and run Company of Heroes, Quake 4 and 3Dmark06. Box is Intel P4 2.8e OCed to 3.3 on a Asus P4P800SE, 1.5gigs of PC3200. I guess the PSU had some kind of effect on performance also, as it was only 350 (500 on the way).

Ran CoH fine at Max setting in 1024x768. Ran Quake fine on High with v-sync off and 2AA. Tried ultra with everything at max, but there was some minor frame drops that annoyed me. Didn't run fraps to check the FPS though.

It did give me a big jump in performance according to 3dmark (didn't have time to do any real world testing), as the 9600XT got 558 points, while the BFG scored 2955. I'll probably run some test on the 3Dmark 05 when I get home. (edit: No, I think it was only 1955, I'm not really sure now)

The box really isn't exactly ready for the card yet, so I'll hold my judgment on it until I get everything in, including a Noctua NH-U9 Heatsink for Overclock the P4 and some fans and cables for better air flow. I'm pretty new at OCing, so we'll see what happens. The stock heatsink seems to be holding fine at the 500Mhz increase.

I still kind of want to see how a flashed X850 pro would do though, since I'm a little more fond of ATI.

Sorry for bumping this, but the BFG 7800GS OC price dropped by 10 bucks. So it's 199.99 AR + 8 shipping. Just wanted to let you guys know.

I also tried OCing, Was able to get it to 500Mhz core and 730Mhz memory. Up from BFG's factory over clock of 400 and 625. Reference 7800oc clocks are375 and 600. (forgot to mention, OCing voids the warranty, I don't really care about it though, even if it's life time. You could go eVGA which allows OCing and fan swapping, but thats a bit more expensive)

The 3d06 defult setting score was boosted from about 3000 (the origina =l I mention above was actually 2995) to around 3500 (though the first score I had 1.5 gig of ram install. The second only had 1).

Temps while over clocked isn't that bad, the card ideal at about 50 and is 55 underload stocck. It's Idles and around 53-54 and under load it a tad under 60 (havn't gone over so far) while OCed.

I persoanlly think the card was a great buy. It's also nice to have the life time warraty (just don't tell them I OCed it). Overall I'm very pleased by this buy. Though I imagine the flashed X850pro would also work nicly.

[quote name='uli2000']recently, ChiefValue (part of Newegg) had a 6200 pci for about $30 (AFAIK, the most 'advanced' pci card)[/QUOTE]

You have a link? I can't seem to find it. All the ones I see are around $100

Sorry for another bump, but there's another 15 off coupon for the BFG 7800GS OC. These price drops are starting to piss me off now. Ohwell, I still think it was worth the 220 (since I had to pay tax).

bread's done
Back