AdoramaCamera via Ebay - $85 (PS4 Hard Drive) Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Ultra Slim Portable Hard Drive

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a dick OP, just a heads up... 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html

I needed a new HDD (for my PC, not gaming related) and kept seeing Seagates on sale and did a bit of digging around as to why. Seagate is not what it used to be and there's a reason why their HDDs seem to go on sale so often. The odds of there being an issue are low but still, might not be worth the risk for everyone.

You can get a WD Elements HDD for the same price if you wait around. That model does use the Green line of drives inside (which is bad because of their shit "Intellipower" technology, but you can disable that using a PC). 

Hmm interesting. So say my drive did fail for some reason...what would happen to all my PSN stuff if I couldn't recover it off the drive?

I mean most of my games would be digitally bought so they'd be installed on a broken drive. Would I still be able to buy another new drive and just redownload everything or what?

Maybe I'd have to deactivate everything from a PC to get the license back? Not sure how that'd all work.

Oh well I already ordered one so hopefully everything works out ok. I guess I'll research it more before opening it and if I decide I want something more reliable (and faster than 5400rpm) I'll just sell this one.

Hmm interesting. So say my drive did fail for some reason...what would happen to all my PSN stuff if I couldn't recover it off the drive?

I mean most of my games would be digitally bought so they'd be installed on a broken drive. Would I still be able to buy another new drive and just redownload everything or what?

Maybe I'd have to deactivate everything from a PC to get the license back? Not sure how that'd all work.

Oh well I already ordered one so hopefully everything works out ok. I guess I'll research it more before opening it and if I decide I want something more reliable (and faster than 5400rpm) I'll just sell this one.
It's more of an inconvenience than anything. AFAIK, you could just re-download everything and re-install all the games (disc or digital), there'd be no issue there, just the time required to do it all again.

I'm not sure if it's the same with PS4 games, but I know many PS3 game saves were locked to the system and there was no way to back them up except for cloud saves on PSN+.

If you can wait, I would. HDDs and SSDs are going at it hard for the storage market and there's an SSD price war expected at the end of this year, which will likely cause HDD prices to drop as well.

I can't trust Seagates at all. WD's are worth the price difference. My recommendation? If you're doing a 2TB HDD upgrade, just buy an internal drive.

I bought a previous deal for this drive from Adorama's eBay store for the purposes of upgrading my PS4's internal drive, so I can address a few things:

1. The shipping packaging was not a box but rather of the kind where the item is sandwiched between two sticky sheets. (The drive came in a retail box, of course.) Unlike Best Buy's very thin cardboard, Adorama's was bubble wrap-like, but still doesn't provide any meaningful crush protection. Given the light weight of these drives, I'm less concerned about shock protection than a full size HDD, but again, minimal protection from the packaging.

2. Assuming you're signed up for PS+ and have your saves synched up, the only thing you won't be able to simply re-download are your screenshots and video captures. You can back them up to another FAT32-formatted external USB drive (flash or hard drive), but I haven't been able to find a way to re-import them back onto the new hard drive. If you don't have PS+, you can manually back up your saves to a USB drive. (Note: For some reason one of my saves wasn't up-to-date on PS+, but I was able to plug in my old HDD and re-upload it manually. Worth a note to double-check before formatting the old drive for use elsewhere.)

Unfortunately, you'll have to manually queue up all the things you want to re-download, and you'll have to re-insert all physical discs before the system will queue up respective patches/DLC.

3. Since late last year, WD portable external drives have stopped using a separate, internal USB->SATA adapter board and simply use drives that have the USB connectors soldered directly onto the drive. If your intention is to pop the drive out of the case for internal use in your PS3/PS4/laptop, it won't have the proper SATA connectors.

4. For drives of equivalent RPM and platter count, a higher-density drive has an inherently faster read rate than one of lower-density by mere virtue of more data being crammed into the same size physical space.

Got it and installed it today. Was very simple. Took probably under an hour from start to finish. 1768GB left after the initial update to PS4 firmware 1.76. It's nice that you can just take the PS4 stock drive and put it into the Seagate casing (assuming you open the casing carefully when removing the 2TB drive) and then use the 500GB PS4 drive as an external hard drive for other stuff.

bread's done
Back