Advance Gameport works on Wii (plays GBA)

ofacto

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I finally got it to work with a small hardware modification to the Advance Gameport + Action Replay ver 1.14a with Freeloader.

While researching on why my Advance Gameport wouldn't on the Wii. I stumbled on this guy's page on how to create an SD card reader for the Gamecube:

http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html

One key thing he said was that if the sense pins on the memory card aren't connected the device would not be detected.

I thought that was curious statement so I opened up the memory card adpartor on the Advance Gameport and noticed that sense pin number 12 was not connected to anything, so I took a pencil and "drew" a trace to a little metal circle at the back of the adapter (I used to overclock AMD Durons by using pencils to draw traces, so I thought what the hell). Now it works on the Wii. I don't think it will cause any damage to the Wii, but since I'm not really an expert don't take my word for it.

Steps to get it work.

1. Turn on Wii, boot Action Replay.
2. Go to Freeloader function and use it to boot the Advance Gameport disc.
3. Plug Advance Gameport, then plug in GBA Game and boot it up.

I tried it with Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and it works great.

Err.... my Advance GamePort works on my Wii just fine (with the Freeloader fix)... I didn't have to do any weird stuff to the innards of it...

[quote name='UncleBob']Err.... my Advance GamePort works on my Wii just fine (with the Freeloader fix)... I didn't have to do any weird stuff to the innards of it...[/QUOTE]

What! I have been going crazy trying to figure out why it wouldn't work and yours worked from the get go? There were 2 version of the Advance Gameport released, is yours the older one without the cheat creator or the new one (mines comes with the cheat creator and it never worked on the Wii)?

Either that or I guess I got a defective Advance Port. Well I'm glad it works now.

My version of Advance game port doesn't work. I have the version with the extra cheat creator. The disk has the number (04070501)

Also my freeloader doesn't work either, it's the "B" version that doesn't seem to work for anyone.

Buy what's this Freeloader fix you are talking about Unclebob ? I'm guessing I need the "b" version of free loader, but that would be worth getting if it let me play my GBA games.

[quote name='KingDox']My version of Advance game port doesn't work. I have the version with the extra cheat creator. The disk has the number (04070501)

Also my freeloader doesn't work either, it's the "B" version that doesn't seem to work for anyone.

Buy what's this Freeloader fix you are talking about Unclebob ? I'm guessing I need the "b" version of free loader, but that would be worth getting if it let me play my GBA games.[/QUOTE]

The Action Replay disc (ver 1.14) with the built in freeloader will also work. I picked up the AR at TRU for $10, so you might want to check there.

[quote name='ofacto']The Action Replay disc (ver 1.14) with the built in freeloader will also work. I picked up the AR at TRU for $10, so you might want to check there.[/QUOTE]

So I load the AR disk then load AGP disk and then I'm good to go then ?

[quote name='KingDox']So I load the AR disk then load AGP disk and then I'm good to go then ?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, first load the AR disc (make sure the AR is in the memory port), then select the Freeloader, then boot AGP disc, remove AR and plug in AGP, then plug in GBA game. I get a blank screen if the AGP is plugged before I boot the AGP disc. It seems like alot of steps, but I can do everything in under minute.

If your AGP isn't dected you might have to do the pencil trick I did (very easy to do).

Another thing, if you can't find AR ver 1.14a, Datel will exchange your disc to the right version for free.

We should harass Datel into selling a Wii-Compatible disc that includes the FreeLoader, Action Replay and Advance Game Port drivers... that'd be nice. :)

bread's done
Back