Advent Rising?

goergegavin

CAGiversary!
I am seriously looking forward to buying Advent Rising, but with my plethora of unfinished games (stupid WoW), I wouldn't buy it until I had finished the other games. I am willing to buy it if there's a sale of some sort going on. Anyone know anything about any deals?

Why aren't there any reviews of this game yet? It comes out tomorrow. Outpost.com is going to have it for around $38 plus shipping (they don't have it on the website yet though). I really want to see a review of this game before I go out and buy it... I'm expecting good things from it.

good question. No reviews has me worried. I am afraid what we have all hoped would be a 9.0 or better game may end up getting in the upper 7's. I have seen this before on games that had no reviews prior to launch. I seriously hope not in this situation though.

Lack of reviews is a definite red flag... And I'm a little disappointed after seeing an interview with Orson Scott Card downplaying his involvement, he only wrote some dialogue. The trailers don't look terribly good, but they didn't have any gameplay in them. I'm definitely concerned though...

Apparently the reason we aren't seeing many reviews is the game is completely bug ridden. Majesco has sent out "reviewable" copies to reviewers and there are tons of bugs. Majesco promises there wont be many bugs but they have given no copies that have been bug free. So a lot of the review sites are waiting for the retail version.

This is what a freelance writer who does work for EGM and OXM wrote in the 1up forums:

"OK IGN's is up, but there's a whole lot that people aren't talking about. Here's the skinny: I first got "reviewable" three weeks ago and, in addition to the heinous framerate you're reading about in all posted reviews, I encountered bugs and glitches of every variety imaginable. I checked in with Majesco to make sure that I was in fact playing the final product. They said no and sent me another version. Same thing with that. They said no yet again, and sent what they insisted was gold (the previous burns had been submission candidates). Same thing yet again. Now we're waiting for retail versions to arrive to verify that it's the same build, and all signs so far say it probably is.

So in short....Audio bugs. Progress-stopping bugs. Weirdness bugs. Targeting bugs. Camera bugs. AI bugs. Scripting bugs. You name it. "

Good luck making a trilogy out of this... This is one of those games I wanted to be good. Maybe they should have pushed it back and made it a 360 launch title or something.

Even if this were a gem, OXM gave it an 8/10 but they're not critical, I would wait on it. But I wait on most games now . . . the last new release games I bought were with the Zelda WW raincheck at Target . . . $16.88 for Jak 3, MP2, UpYArsenal.

Now, I wait . . . Doom 3, RE4, God of War . . . they will all be mine when I can get them for $20 or less (esp. if I can do it with my EB credit).

I'm so behind, that I'm now ready to buy Burnout 3 ($13.50 after discount PO at EBGames).

It's worth a rental but nothing more. I personally didn't like it much. It was a mix of Dead to Rights and psychic powers. I played for a couple of hours and returned it. The lock on feature is really annoying, running away from enemies has never been so hard and irritating.

I've played it for about an hour (free rental from BlockBuster)...it's okay. The skipping sound and the odd drop from gameplay to cutscenes take the luster out of the game. It's a fun blast-fest so far...but I'd wait till it drops to $20 before buying...

Edit:

I'm about 4hrs into it and frequently notice audio skipping, audio drop-out, or low volume output in weird places.

This needed about 6 more months of polish just to bring it up-to-snuff.

[quote name='goergegavin']I am seriously looking forward to buying Advent Rising, but with my plethora of unfinished games (stupid WoW), I wouldn't buy it until I had finished the other games. I am willing to buy it if there's a sale of some sort going on. Anyone know anything about any deals?[/QUOTE]

I got it for 34 dollars shipped from the trading forums here. You may want to keep your eyes open for it.

bread's done
Back