ADVICE: 360 S 4GB or 360 S 250GB

dv8mad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
725 (100%)
Now, I know it seems self evident right off the bat, but please hear me out.

$100 difference is a pretty big deal, so I want to know which way people on a limited budget lean.

I know that games won't be able to be installed on a 4GB system, so one big question I have is for current S owners. I have heard that the new systems are much quieter than the originals, but how much quieter? Is it OK to play a game in the DVD drive or does the sound pull you out if you have the volume at a fairly low level?

Assuming that the new 360 would be used mainly for disc based games, would the 4GB be the way to go to save that extra $100 or is there another reason that the 250GB is the best bet?

The problem with with these new xbox is that they use different Hard Drives, so if you wanted to upgrade at least for the time being, It's going to cost you if you want to upgrade. Even though you can use a usb memory stick, that is to everybody's preference, I know it wouldn't be mine. As far as the sound, I have yet to see a slim in action.

I have the 4GB model. I have it paired with a 120gb hard drive (VERY easy to do and cost $30 from newegg). Prior to adding the drive, I was unable to play coop Halo. Other than that, the 4GB model worked fine for my needs. I also have a 16gb flash drive I would be using for it if I didn't have the 120gb drive.

If you download a decent amount of content, either pay the extra $100 for the 250gB model or do what I did and save yourself $50+ at the risk of eventually being banned.

i personally would spend the extra $100 but it all boils down to how much content you would plan on purchasing wither it be games on demand or extra content or movies. it can add up quick

[quote name='rusty']I have the 4GB model. I have it paired with a 120gb hard drive (VERY easy to do and cost $30 from newegg). Prior to adding the drive, I was unable to play coop Halo. Other than that, the 4GB model worked fine for my needs. I also have a 16gb flash drive I would be using for it if I didn't have the 120gb drive.

If you download a decent amount of content, either pay the extra $100 for the 250gB model or do what I did and save yourself $50+ at the risk of eventually being banned.[/QUOTE]

Link to which HDD you got? I need one since I have the 4gb as well.

And as far as the OP goes, I have the 4gb and love it. Mainly got it since it wouldn't attract dust/fingerprints like the 250gb one would. Very nice system. Doesn't feel like junk like the old 360 did. You really can't go wrong either way.

[quote name='dv8mad']Now, I know it seems self evident right off the bat, but please hear me out.

$100 difference is a pretty big deal, so I want to know which way people on a limited budget lean.

I know that games won't be able to be installed on a 4GB system, so one big question I have is for current S owners. I have heard that the new systems are much quieter than the originals, but how much quieter? Is it OK to play a game in the DVD drive or does the sound pull you out if you have the volume at a fairly low level?

Assuming that the new 360 would be used mainly for disc based games, would the 4GB be the way to go to save that extra $100 or is there another reason that the 250GB is the best bet?[/QUOTE]

I recently upgraded to a 360 S. I went with the 4GB because I could take out the 250GB from my previous 360 and put it in the 4GB. The 4GB is a better value to me, has all the bells and whistles of the 250GB S (wifi, etc...) but has a matte finish without the tacky silver trim, which i much prefer. They don't give you any HD cables nor a headset but these days most people have a spare HDMI cable lying around in their home. You can make your own 360 compatible 250GB hard drive for less than 40 bucks too.

While the DVD drive in the S is much quieter than before its still pretty noticeable. If you install your games on the hdd however, it runs silently, same goes for when watching netflix, its completely silent. I had to make sure the fan was spinning it was so quiet. MS wisely chose to ditch the small rear exhaust fan for a larger side exhaust one and since large fans can move more air while spinning at slower speeds, they're much quieter and cool better at the same time.

bread's done
Back