Advice for Plasma Vs LCD for gaming

Calamityuponthee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
I've visited avsforum but it didn't exactly have what I was looking for.

I've recently bought a 40 inch Samsung LCD LN40B630 TV for a pretty good price ($943 after tax) and I'm somewhat impressed but looking for some advice.

First of all, I'm more then likely exchanging or returning the set. There's a white hue on the bottom of the set only visible on black or darker screens. Probably just my set, but annoying none the less.

I could exchange for the same set or get a plasma. My primary use is games, DVD and occasionally blu-ray. I've been eying up the G10 series 42 inch Panasonic plasma set and it has me wondering. Same price range ($910) and is 2 inches bigger. I like my set, but could I have done better?

I hear plasma has better picture quality (especially for blacks), but is it really that noticeable? Any advice would be great.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']I've visited avsforum but it didn't exactly have what I was looking for.

I've recently bought a 40 inch Samsung LCD LN40B630 TV for a pretty good price ($943 after tax) and I'm somewhat impressed but looking for some advice.

First of all, I'm more then likely exchanging or returning the set. There's a white hue on the bottom of the set only visible on black or darker screens. Probably just my set, but annoying none the less.

I could exchange for the same set or get a plasma. My primary use is games, DVD and occasionally blu-ray. I've been eying up the G10 series 42 inch Panasonic plasma set and it has me wondering. Same price range ($910) and is 2 inches bigger. I like my set, but could I have done better?

I hear plasma has better picture quality (especially for blacks), but is it really that noticeable? Any advice would be great.[/QUOTE]

Plasma has probably the highest potential for the best picture quality in a dim room but it also has the highest burn in image possibilty, definately not reccomended for games.

DLP is impossible to burn in as it is just a light sent through a color wheel. Second best to plasma but not shabby by any means. The neg is that you will likely buy a new lamp every 2-3 years costing 99-199 typically. Also they are 6-18 inches deep typically depending on set.

LCD is great for thinness but i personally have never been much impressed. Thats just me though. weird thing is i have seen burn in on a LCD happen quicker that the older crt projections.

my personal recomendation is a mitsubishi DLP televison. I have 57 inch that is 2-3 years old picture is great at most angles very diverse in colors and i never see the rainbow effect some people mention.

Good luck with whatever u choose.

If you get a DLP, make sure it has a game mode or you will get lag. Not that big of a deal unless you play online alot.

Plasma and LCD do have burn in possibilities but not as much as everyone wants you to believe.

I have a 32" Phillips that's been going strong since the Steelers and Seahawks played in the Super Bowl. I pretty much game and watch sports on it and I don't have any problem with burn in.

The white hue on the bottom is the light leaking from the backlight. All Lcds have this to some degree, Some more than others. It depends on the set and the QC at the time. You can get close to none, but in a pitch black room you will see it faintly.

Plasmas do have better blacks. Burn in is not so much an issue anymore, but Image retention does have potential of happening from extended gaming sessions.

A lot of people use plasmas for games with no issues. If you are questioning your purchase then it might be a sign to give it a try.

I prefer LCD just for the fact that it draws less power, I don't want to stress out about how long something is on the screen, and I do enjoy AMP.

Thats it, its a tv, a viewing experience. And whatever you find enjoyable is all that matters. You are the one watching it at the end of the day, so make sure you are happy with your purchase.

I did a comparison between a Samsung A650 (LCD) and the Panasonic PY800 (PLASMA) in one of our local forums, and here is what I've observed:

"By request a quick comparison of the Sammy A650 vs the Panny PY800
wink.gif

Ok, this has to be the most difficult eye racking comparison I've ever made. First let me go on record by saying that both units deliver very good pictures. I'll now give a run down of how they perform.

Cable (Cinema mode)

No doubt the PY800 beats the A650 here, with no pixelations and the softer color of PLASMA tends to mask the imperfections of our cable broadcast.

DVD (Standard mode)

Source: Pioneer DV410V set to 1080p at regular RGB
Movie: Hokuto no Ken Raoh Den (Japanese Animation)

Sammy brings the charge with colors that will make you feel like your watching the animation from a glossy brochure! It's that good, and again the motion flow of both units were tested to the max when the lead character named Kenshiro does a very fast flurry of punches. Both remained steady with no signs of stutter, however with PLASMA I saw the green trails lash out, no motion blur for Sammy, so for this round and this particular movie - I'll say it's the A650! (will test LOTR and Star Wars later on)

Blu-Ray (Standard)

Source: PS3 Japanese version set to "Limited RGB" and at 1080p
Movie: Transformers

Chapter 18-25 where there were so many things happening at the same time - Heavy and fast mech transformations were done with great fluidity for both units. No pixelations, no stutters, no picture breaks or issues whatsoever.

Movie: Underworld Evolution (Used because of it's very dark backgrounds)

Panny wins here with it's great definition of blacks, Sammy displayed dark areas with shades of grey and the usual uneven backlighting that's common place with LCD.

Video Games (Standard)

Source: PS3 at limited RGB and set to 1080p
Game: Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Both units nearly have the same picture definition and input response time. Picture quality becomes subjective here, if you like "softer" "earthly" pictures then the PY800 is the unit for you. But if you like a very digitized look for your game (Which I prefer) then Sammy is the way to go for the PS3. On a side note during quick pans of Ninja Gaiden's dark game stages, the Plasma can't help but show the phosphor lag via green trails. Sammy with it's 4ms response time did not show any form of issue like "motion-blur".

Stock sound:

Hands down the BBE-Viva of the PY800 delivers crisper and clearer sound.

That's all for today and will test more movies for both units when time permits=)

Sorry, this was one rush type..."

By the way, I'm using an old PannyPX500u for both games and movies.

Not only does plasma look better and cost less than LCD, they are best for games as well with faster response rate and better upscaling of 480p/i signals. Don't listen to the LCD fanboys spreading old wives tale of burn-in. At worst there will be a temporary image retention if you left your game paused for a really long time, and that's even without turning on any anti-burn in option.

Oh yea, the new neo-pdp on the panasonic plasma uses significantly less power than LCDs.

bread's done
Back