Advice needed

ryan838

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So back in October I pre-ordered Gears Of War on buy.com. As it got closer to release day I figured I would just buy it at a local store since I wanted to play it right away. So I cancelled my preorder on November 3rd. I got the standard automated email from Buy.com saying that my order had been cancelled. I emailed their support to make sure and an actual human emailed me back saying it had indeed been cancelled.

Now the game comes out Nov 7 and I buy it at my local ebgames. On November 16th I get an email from buy.com saying they shipped it out. So even though I got 2 confirmations from them that it was cancelled they still ship it out almost 3 weeks after I cancelled it.

I email them to tell them about this error and they said that when I cancelled it that it was already in the process of shipping, which is impossible since it was a week before the release date. I told them I wanted to return it but that I didn't want to pay for shipping and handling since this was clearly their error. They said that since the item isn't defective I need to pay for the return shipping and handling. I've ordered from buy.com numerous times but never had something like this happen.

So what should I do? Email them again and refuse to pay return shipping? I've tried calling their support line but its in India and the people there seem to be reading from a script and won't answer any of my questions or do anything to help. Thanks for any help or advice.

[quote name='ryan838']So back in October I pre-ordered Gears Of War on buy.com. As it got closer to release day I figured I would just buy it at a local store since I wanted to play it right away. So I cancelled my preorder on November 3rd. I got the standard automated email from Buy.com saying that my order had been cancelled. I emailed their support to make sure and an actual human emailed me back saying it had indeed been cancelled.

Now the game comes out Nov 7 and I buy it at my local ebgames. On November 16th I get an email from buy.com saying they shipped it out. So even though I got 2 confirmations from them that it was cancelled they still ship it out almost 3 weeks after I cancelled it.

I email them to tell them about this error and they said that when I cancelled it that it was already in the process of shipping, which is impossible since it was a week before the release date. I told them I wanted to return it but that I didn't want to pay for shipping and handling since this was clearly their error. They said that since the item isn't defective I need to pay for the return shipping and handling. I've ordered from buy.com numerous times but never had something like this happen.

So what should I do? Email them again and refuse to pay return shipping? I've tried calling their support line but its in India and the people there seem to be reading from a script and won't answer any of my questions or do anything to help. Thanks for any help or advice.[/quote]

Couldnt you just write refused - return to sender without having to pay for postage again. I mean if you didnt open the package you should have no problem. Once they receive the item back as refused they should immediately process the charge back to your card.

I've heard it said time and time again -- the easiest way to ensure that your Buy.com order gets shipped is to try and cancel it. It's like they rush to ship canceled items in hopes that people will just accept them.

Thanks for the advice guys. The package was delivered by UPS so can I still do the return to sender thing? I would have refused shipment of it had I been home.

This problem is simple. Just return the buy.com copy to EB. Not only will that solve your problem, you'd get the game for the buy.com price. This method may be frowned upon by a few members of CAG, but I use it when there are errors; for instance, Devil Summoner was supposed to come, but Overstock screwed up and sent Avatar. Instead of waiting the near month it took to return to play the game, I bought it at EB and I saved the receipt. When I got Devil Summoner in the mail, I returned it, effectively just borrowing from EB while paying the Overstock price. Just hope you saved your receipt.

That's 'frowned upon' because it's return fraud...

Yeah, contact them again insisting they pay the return shipping. If it were me and they still won't I'd call my credit card and dispute the buy.com charge. You've tried to work with them and have offered to ship it back provided they will cover your return shipping. Now with a CC dispute you may have to end up paying return shipping anyway, but it screws them a little more.

Good to know about buy.com. I had a sort of similar situation with Amazon and they quickly agreed to cover my return shipping costs.

[quote name='icruise']I've heard it said time and time again -- the easiest way to ensure that your Buy.com order gets shipped is to try and cancel it. It's like they rush to ship canceled items in hopes that people will just accept them.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I ordered something about 6 years ago and it showed as in stock. It then was backordered after I ordered. I tried to cancel it but they shipped it anway, somehow it magically was in stock again after I tried to cancel it (still showing backordered on item page)

[quote name='wubb']That's 'frowned upon' because it's return fraud...

Yeah, contact them again insisting they pay the return shipping. If it were me and they still won't I'd call my credit card and dispute the buy.com charge. You've tried to work with them and have offered to ship it back provided they will cover your return shipping. Now with a CC dispute you may have to end up paying return shipping anyway, but it screws them a little more.

Good to know about buy.com. I had a sort of similar situation with Amazon and they quickly agreed to cover my return shipping costs.[/QUOTE]

Update: I ended up sending them one last email and they sent me a prepaid ups label. It took 3 emails but they finally did the right thing. I included their emails and told them that once I cancelled they no longer had my authorization to charge the card so I would dispute it if they didn't send me a prepaid label and my empty threat worked. I was polite in my first 2 emails but I guess sometimes you have to be some what forceful to get what you want.

[quote name='ryan838']Update: I ended up sending them one last email and they sent me a prepaid ups label. It took 3 emails but they finally did the right thing. I included their emails and told them that once I cancelled they no longer had my authorization to charge the card so I would dispute it if they didn't send me a prepaid label and my empty threat worked. I was polite in my first 2 emails but I guess sometimes you have to be some what forceful to get what you want.[/QUOTE]

Good work. If for some reason there are any other problems, call those fuckers up and be stern with them. Threaten that you'll tell everybody you know about it and see where that goes.

But anyway, glad you got it to work.

bread's done
Back