Advice on buying a used 60GB PS3

chair_home

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
Because of our much greater than expected tax return this year (babies are awesome), my wife has agreed to let me splurge on a PS3 (have the other systems already :whistle2:D). I'm looking for a 60GB because of the backwards compatibility, and don't want the 20gb cause I still want the built in wi-fi and the memory card slots.

So, I have options, but want to know if I have any more.
- I've heard K-mart still sells new ones, but they're $500. I'm looking to spend a bit less.
- I think I can find one at some gamestops used for $420 plus tax. They have some kind of (limited?) return policy, I assume, in case anything goes wrong. Anyone know of any coupons I could use for this?
- ebay. A bit risky, can find it for maybe $400+
- craigslist: shows up every once in a while, but could be a bigger gamble than ebay. If I find a good bundle, I might go for it if its legit.
- gamefunk? I think they're out of 60gb models

Please give me some advice on what the best option would be or if there's something I missed. I appreciate it. Thanks!

gamestop doesn't do coupons on systems unless your trading them in.
kmart seems like the safe legit bet, if you want to be 100% sure your not gonna get screwed
ebay/cragslist = definite gamble, but could work out for you, maybe someone just needs the $ for rent

[quote name='Lynsanity']I would suggest buying one of mine. My girlfriend and I bought PS3s in Late October. They are in perfect working condition, and still have the receipts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160207908071&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160207908468&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006[/QUOTE]

Cool, I have them on my watch list now. No extras though, right? Just what came in the box? Would the receipt do me any good?

By the looks of the way those auctions are going, its going to be cheaper for you to go the gamefunk route which, having bought a very good condition PS3 from them, I can definetley vouch for.

[quote name='NitrousO']By the looks of the way those auctions are going, its going to be cheaper for you to go the gamefunk route which, having bought a very good condition PS3 from them, I can definetley vouch for.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but they're out of stock right now, and they said they may raise prices when stock returns :whistle2:(

The last auction I saw was about $350. Some have been higher. I have an extra controller, a ps2 memory card reader, and a PS3 wireless keyboard that I have not put up yet. I honestly forgot about them. If you win I will just throw in the PS2 memory card reader. Just drop me a line in this post or IM me.

The receipts are so you and Sony know they are still under warranty if you ever needed to call them for anything.

I picked up my new 60 gb a couple of weeks ago at the local Hastings. Saw a sign advertising that they had them, so I asked. Guy kept asking me, "Sure you don't want the 80 gb? It comes with a game." It was still $500 which stung a bit, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. I have tons of PS2 games I'd like to catch up on.

[quote name='cdietschrun']Lynsanity check your PMs.[/quote]

I was trying to win this (MGSolid86), haha. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere!

Congrats cdietschrun!

iconxbox360.gif
: COD4, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band
iconpsp_r2.gif
: MGS: Portable Ops, Castlevania: TDXC

OP, like many here at CAG I'm all about getting the best deal. However, 60 GB's are harder and harder to come by. I was hoping to wait for another price drop, but I broke down because I really wanted the Backwards Compatibility. Sure it sucked paying the $499 and not getting a game like the 80 GB bundle, but like always deals come around and I scored Motorstorm for $20 a week later at GS. If you're getting the 60 GB because of the Emotion Engine I would pay the $499 unless you can find someone reputable selling a used one. Too bad you couldn't score one last month then you would qualify for the 5 free Blu-Ray movies. Whatever you decide good luck and know you're making a smart investment.

[quote name='JMoney156']I was trying to win this (MGSolid86), haha. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere!

Congrats cdietschrun!

iconxbox360.gif
: COD4, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band
iconpsp_r2.gif
: MGS: Portable Ops, Castlevania: TDXC[/quote]

I didn't know I was battling another CAG! Sorry! Thank you! I'm pumped to get one finally, next-gen I am.

Besides Gamefunk (I think their stock is about to run out), call around your local Gamerush and see if they have any left. I just broke down and bought another 60GB ($450+tax) new as backup, it may sound insane to have 2 units now but it's a good long term plan if you don't want to switch between 2-3 consoles, now I'm really glad I did it despite the cost.

I was thinking of eBay route (trying to save a few bucks) but half of the 20GB units listed are broken or AS IS, WTF, it looks like a dumping ground for junk nowadays.

I picked one up with motorstorm from overstock.com for 470 new, with almost free shipping, so you may want to look into that.

Wow, after seeing how tough it is to get one now, I am extremely glad I picked up a 60GB from Hastings back in October for $500 + tax, with a $100 MIR and Heavenly Sword for free.

check gamecrazy if you have one. I know at mine they will hook the system up and let you test it before buying it to make sure it works. I luckily managed to snag my 60g back in Jan of '07 with that sony visa card with the 150.00 instant credit wich padded the blow as well as tradeins (with the extra year warrenty i paid around 300ish for it). You could try for the sony visa, dunno if they are still doing any promo's (it's through chase bank, interest rate was decent for me at least, but the point thing for the sony style store sucked, almost as bad as discover)

[quote name='SuperFox']Wow, after seeing how tough it is to get one now, I am extremely glad I picked up a 60GB from Hastings back in October for $500 + tax, with a $100 MIR and Heavenly Sword for free.[/quote]

Same, minus the Heavenly Sword.

bread's done
Back