Advice on getting a 97-99 eclipse, thanks for all the tips CAG's!

AzianAsspicker

CAGiversary!
im about to buy a car soon, mitsubishi eclipse GS 1999, good car? Need people's opnions and advice! anyway, i plan to rice it out but besides making it look cool with a body kit and all i want it to have a loudass blow-out valve.. like the green eclipse in the fast and the furious. How would i get something that loud and how much would it cost? people told me i need some turbo shit in order to have a blow-off valve... but anyway i dont wanna be asking this question in a car forum because i'll get laughed at... thought some fellow CAGer's can help!

edit: changed the rice title lol ;) i've decided not to get a greddy type S BOV until I am done modding the engine at first, then maybe a new paint job but definately no stickers or any sort... maybe some electronics as well

Are you being serious? If you are, to start off turbo kits or custom kits will usually run you in the neighborhood of around $1000+ unless your eclipse is already turbo you can just upgrade everything like a BOV which will usually cost around 150-200$.

[quote name='Scorch']I second your :lol: and raise you a :rofl:[/QUOTE]

:dunce::whistle2:&:wall::bs::bomb::hot::bouncy::drool::roll::lol::D;):):cry::cool::booty::wave::imwithst::boxing::whistle2:|#-o:neutral::shock::pray::oldman::shame:fuck:puke:

take your pick.. almost all of them work :]

wtf is "rice" out a car. I have been working on and built many hotrods and derby carsfor 13+ years now,but never heard of ricing out a car. As far as turbo probabbly figure around1,000 for a good one. You want it to be loud(wich makes no sense to me, loud does not make it quick only annoying) you could put like a corrise exhaust system, or even one of those 4 inch tips(that is common). I be glad to try and answer any tech questions you have while doing this

evilmojo12542, check out this link. It explains all. ;) Make sure to look at the hall of fame.
http://www.riceboypage.com/

OP, a GS is one of the shittest models of the Eclipse. Why even waste your money and not just get a GS-T or GSX to begin with?

eclipse_type-JX.jpg

Rice on baby!

I saw ( on ebay I think) a noisemaker that goes under your hood to simulate the sound of a BOV. I kid you not.

Yes, turbos/SC's are not cheap. A nitrous kit would be at least half the cost of a turbo setup, and gives a nice kick in the pants when needed.

And yes, the GS is a pretty weak Eclipse.

Keep in mind, OP, that ricing has to be of absolutely no benefit to actual performance.

Okay, I have some pretty good knowledge of DSMs (Eclipse, Talons and Lasers), and if I were you, I would go for a all-wheel drive 2G Eclipse.

If you really want to put a turbo on a non-turbo Eclipse, it will cost you a lot more in labor and parts than it would to just go ahead and find a GST or GSX. Trust me, though, you will have a lot more fun with a GSX (turbo, AWD).

Also, you won't have to buy an upgraded BOV, like someone else said. All you're basically wanting to do is vent your BOV, which will give you the loud "whoosh" sounds. But you need to know that about 90% of the time, you will get bad performance from your car. It will most likely bog down when you come to a stop and have bad performance in other areas, too, but it shouldn't do any permanent damage to your car.

The reason is because you're not circulating any air back into the intercooler. You're letting it all go, but your car is still thinking it has that much air going into the piston chamber. So basically you're getting the wrong mixture of fuel and air. At least that's the way it's been explained to me.

But there are ways to fix this whole issue with an air/fuel regulator and some other stuff.

But seriously, if you're going to get an Eclipse, don't rice it out. People in the DSM community, are very, very against ricing out their cars. Most of us usually don't do a whole lot cosmetically to our cars, with the exception of carbon fiber hoods, rims and the occasional "non-ricey" front bumper.

There are lots of good places to get info on DSMs, and more likely than not, there's probably a DSM club close to you.

Here are some places to check out. You would do yourself a lot of good to go to these places and read your little heart out. You'll learn a whole lot about DSMs.

www.dsm.org
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/
www.dsmtalk.com
www.dsmtuners.com

EDIT: Also, you should know the GS Eclipse come with a 1.8L 420A motor, which is the same as the ones you'll find in an older Neon. Only the GST and GSX come with the 2.0L 4G63T.

So even if you go through all the hard work to slap on a turbo, it still won't be as fast as a stock turbo DSM.

That is the fucking most goddamn motherfucking stupid ass dumbfuck piece of shit thing I have ever seen and/or heard of.

If you are an asian, that's nice. If you aren't, no amount of pimping your car will make you one.

[quote name='mtxbass1']evilmojo12542, check out this link. It explains all. ;) Make sure to look at the hall of fame.
http://www.riceboypage.com/

OP, a GS is one of the shittest models of the Eclipse. Why even waste your money and not just get a GS-T or GSX to begin with?

eclipse_type-JX.jpg

Rice on baby![/QUOTE]

ok I went in and checked it out. Now I know what all these punk driving these fake ass honda speed cars are called. I have actually had them pull up next to me with big ass exhuast tips,stickers out the wazzoooo and huge wings thinking they have a cool fast car in reality they have nothing but a image and lots of wasted cash. You can not beat a old muscle car(mustang,camaro,charger,marlin)
the money it takes to make a foreign car to go fast versus what you can do with a musclecar is no comparison. I will stick to big blocks,flowmaster exhuast systems and beat the living crap out of these wanna be's

i totally agree with evilmojo...i despise imports so i drive a 86 monte carlo ss. not the greatest muscle car but it certainly gets the job done. so save your money and go get a 69 camero ss or chevelle.

[quote name='evilmojo12542']ok I went in and checked it out. Now I know what all these punk driving these fake ass honda speed cars are called. I have actually had them pull up next to me with big ass exhuast tips,stickers out the wazzoooo and huge wings thinking they have a cool fast car in reality they have nothing but a image and lots of wasted cash. You can not beat a old muscle car(mustang,camaro,charger,marlin)
the money it takes to make a foreign car to go fast versus what you can do with a musclecar is no comparison. I will stick to big blocks,flowmaster exhuast systems and beat the living crap out of these wanna be's[/QUOTE]

Unless, of course, you're driving a twin-turbo Supra that is easily an above 500hp car with a few bolt ons. Supras are insane cars that several people have managed to get to 1,000 horses.

I agree with you that most import cars can't hang with muscle cars, but Supras are definitely the exception.

P.S. My dad has a '69 Plymouth Roadrunner and a '70 Dodge Charger, both cars are insanely loud and awesome as can be.

I am looking at buying a 66 AMC Marlin. The guy only want's 7,000 It is in top shape. Put 454 and a powerglide trans 9 inch narrowed ford rear end. Car is a daily driver with a crapload of power. He runs a local body hsop and did the body and paint to the origanall color and specs.

ill agree with grave on the supra that is a pretty nice car made for speed. AMC did make seem nice cars in the 60s and 70s and 7gs for loaded excellent condition.

Hmm...out here (NY) ricers are looked down on as hicks, its all about stock bodys & all the work goes under the hood...but I like pretty cars 2, lol

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Okay, I have some pretty good knowledge of DSMs (Eclipse, Talons and Lasers), and if I were you, I would go for a all-wheel drive 2G Eclipse.[/QUOTE]

Easy for you to say, if the guy can shop around for a couple of months until he finally finds one. I've been looking for a long time around here, and he probably wouldn't be able to pay any less than 11,000 on a 2G GSX. People jack those prices like crazy, they're rare.

If you're just looking to drive and put a few exterior modifications on your car (God, I hate ricing. But some things don't look too bad.. Slap a stock GST/GSX spoiler on your GS for instance), just get your GS. It's all power, sunroof, you could get leather seats, the works.

[quote name='red flare graf']Easy for you to say, if the guy can shop around for a couple of months until he finally finds one. I've been looking for a long time around here, and he probably wouldn't be able to pay any less than 11,000 on a 2G GSX. People jack those prices like crazy, they're rare.

If you're just looking to drive and put a few exterior modifications on your car (God, I hate ricing. But some things don't look too bad.. Slap a stock GST/GSX spoiler on your GS for instance), just get your GS. It's all power, sunroof, you could get leather seats, the works.[/QUOTE]

Paying $11k for a 2G AWD is insane. $6k-$7k tops. A fully loaded '99 GSX only Blue Books for $6,800. If you pay anywhere near $11k for one, you're getting ass raped.

Also, keep in mind OP that DSMs are notorius for breaking down. There's an old saying within the community that when one DSM comes to life, another one dies. So unless you're a very good mechanic and tuner, expect lots of things to break down once you start modding the car.

That's mainly why I'm pretty much leaving my 1G TSi stock. I plan on doing a little here and there, like a cat-back exhaust and some gauges, but for the most part, it's all going to stay stock.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Paying $11k for a 2G AWD is insane. $6k-$7k tops. A fully loaded '99 GSX only Blue Books for $6,800. If you pay anywhere near $11k for one, you're getting ass raped.[/QUOTE]

I definitely know it's insane, and I wouldn't pay it. It's far beyond blue book, but look around, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This guy pretty close to me wants 26k for his 3000gt VR4 Spyder. Blue book is only like 18k.. if it's rare, they'll jack it up.

Could just be my area, but when I lived in North Carolina it was the same way.

[quote name='red flare graf']I definitely know it's insane, and I wouldn't pay it. It's far beyond blue book, but look around, you'll see what I'm talking about.

This guy pretty close to me wants 26k for his 3000gt VR4 Spyder. Blue book is only like 18k.. if it's rare, they'll jack it up.

Could just be my area, but when I lived in North Carolina it was the same way.[/QUOTE]

Man, that really sucks. It's definitely not the same here in Texas. You could always check some of the DSM sites and see if someone's selling theirs close to you.

DSMers are a lot like CAGs, they are very cheap ass.

how about we never refer to customizing our cars as "ricing them out" again.. cause it sounds stupid as fuck.

[quote name='karsh']Just remember, each sticker you add gives you an extra 5-10 HP. ;)[/QUOTE]
Hah ha ha ha ha ha

Thats a good one. I love this thread by the way.

I'm a grease monkey (been fixing/working on cars as a hobby since I was 9), first and formost forget about looks first (looks take a back seat to the engine, it's the way I was tought) and if your seirous about your car soup up the engine.All show and no muscle is just lame in my book. Also try to be some what original, every where I look I see the same damn styles (neon under carriage/racer body kits/ and a huge fucking spoiler that does nothing but slow down the car).

Body kits are a dime a dozen, just google it and buy one you like for your car, if you don't know what the hell your doing i'd suggest just letting a custom shop do it for you.

Oh, and ricing means making a car look better than it acutally is, in other words all looks, no power. Basically posing as a racer.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Okay, I have some pretty good knowledge of DSMs (Eclipse, Talons and Lasers), and if I were you, I would go for a all-wheel drive 2G Eclipse.

If you really want to put a turbo on a non-turbo Eclipse, it will cost you a lot more in labor and parts than it would to just go ahead and find a GST or GSX. Trust me, though, you will have a lot more fun with a GSX (turbo, AWD).

Also, you won't have to buy an upgraded BOV, like someone else said. All you're basically wanting to do is vent your BOV, which will give you the loud "whoosh" sounds. But you need to know that about 90% of the time, you will get bad performance from your car. It will most likely bog down when you come to a stop and have bad performance in other areas, too, but it shouldn't do any permanent damage to your car.

The reason is because you're not circulating any air back into the intercooler. You're letting it all go, but your car is still thinking it has that much air going into the piston chamber. So basically you're getting the wrong mixture of fuel and air. At least that's the way it's been explained to me.

But there are ways to fix this whole issue with an air/fuel regulator and some other stuff.

But seriously, if you're going to get an Eclipse, don't rice it out. People in the DSM community, are very, very against ricing out their cars. Most of us usually don't do a whole lot cosmetically to our cars, with the exception of carbon fiber hoods, rims and the occasional "non-ricey" front bumper.

There are lots of good places to get info on DSMs, and more likely than not, there's probably a DSM club close to you.

Here are some places to check out. You would do yourself a lot of good to go to these places and read your little heart out. You'll learn a whole lot about DSMs.

haha sorry for being a noob but whats a dsm lol

www.dsm.org
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/
www.dsmtalk.com
www.dsmtuners.com

EDIT: Also, you should know the GS Eclipse come with a 1.8L 420A motor, which is the same as the ones you'll find in an older Neon. Only the GST and GSX come with the 2.0L 4G63T.

So even if you go through all the hard work to slap on a turbo, it still won't be as fast as a stock turbo DSM.
[/QUOTE]

sorry im so noob, and i did not mean to piss any1 off i just wanted some answers and opinions... anyway whats a DSM?

and.. what's the difference between GS-T and GSX? I prefer a manual car but automatic is ok.. are they both auto? does the GSX come in manual? I've also seen the eclipse look with the convertible look, i hate that!

[quote name='Quackzilla']That is the fucking most goddamn motherfucking stupid ass dumbfuck piece of shit thing I have ever seen and/or heard of.

If you are an asian, that's nice. If you aren't, no amount of pimping your car will make you one.[/QUOTE]

What if you make it go so fast your eyes go back?
Or turn it into a kamikaze caar

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']sorry im so noob, and i did not mean to piss any1 off i just wanted some answers and opinions... anyway whats a DSM?

and.. what's the difference between GS-T and GSX? I prefer a manual car but automatic is ok.. are they both auto? does the GSX come in manual? I've also seen the eclipse look with the convertible look, i hate that![/QUOTE]

A DSM is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (1999 and earlier), Eagle Talon or Mercury Laser. Maybe Grave will tell you the story, I don't feel like it.

The GSX is AWD, the GST is FWD. They're both definitely 5 speed manual, I don't even know that they come in automatic.

I also dislike the convertible look, but Spyders are (from my experience) the most common of turbo models. Plus, the ladies tend to like convertibles. I prefer a hardtop.. but if you want chicks..

[quote name='red flare graf']A DSM is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (1999 and earlier), Eagle Talon or Mercury Laser. Maybe Grave will tell you the story, I don't feel like it.

The GSX is AWD, the GST is FWD. They're both definitely 5 speed manual, I don't even know that they come in automatic.

I also dislike the convertible look, but Spyders are (from my experience) the most common of turbo models. Plus, the ladies tend to like convertibles. I prefer a hardtop.. but if you want chicks..[/QUOTE]

You're spot on, except it's Plymouth Laser, not Mercury.

Also, the last year of the Laser was in 1994, so there are no 2G Lasers.

OP, if you're serious about speed and racing, you will definitely want to get a GSX or TSi since it has AWD. All-wheel drive is a tremendous advantage when you're talking about street racing.

Check this vid for evidence.

http://www.ricekiller.com/RKC-codyvsviper.WMV

It's a 1G Talon racing a Viper. I bet you wouldn't guess correctly which one would win by just looking at the cars. :lol:

Little late to the thread but.....

4G63 > every other 4 cylinder ever produced

And my 96 turbo DSM has rarely ever been in the shop and is lightly modded. My 3000GT spends most of it's life on a flatbed though going to and from a mechanic. Complete waste of money.

Back to the subject, I would suggest at least a turbo DSM if you want any performance at all. I would not talk badly about the n/a ones because they are good cars (in my opinion) but they just aren't quick cars. And the AWD on the "GSX" and "Tsi AWD" are not only quick, but they handle like a dream. You should read up at the sites they already listed as a few people seem to know their DSMs.

www.dsmtalk.com
www.dsm.org

i third what grave and flare said....DSM tuning is nice but it takes alot of repairs and tuning to get it to run perfect but what doesnt need that...If your in the East coast and in jersey you should check out English town and hit the DSM event they hold every year...the tuners there are nice and can give you some good tips on tuning your ride...thats if you do get a DSM car...yeah they are all JDM styles even some OEM..IMO F&F is mostly the reason why DSMrs hate the body kit look...i dont blame them..

[quote name='AzianAsspicker'] How would i get something that loud and how much would it cost? people told me i need some turbo shit in order to have a blow-off valve...[/QUOTE]

I missed that the first time. Learn what a turbocharger is and how it works first.

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']im about to buy a car soon, mitsubishi eclipse GS 1999, good car? Need people's opnions and advice! anyway, i plan to rice it out but besides making it look cool with a body kit and all i want it to have a loudass blow-out valve.. like the green eclipse in the fast and the furious. How would i get something that loud and how much would it cost? people told me i need some turbo shit in order to have a blow-off valve... but anyway i dont wanna be asking this question in a car forum because i'll get laughed at... thought some fellow CAGer's can help![/QUOTE]

You really do need help if you want to rice out a car.. :shame:

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']sorry im so noob, and i did not mean to piss any1 off i just wanted some answers and opinions... anyway whats a DSM?

and.. what's the difference between GS-T and GSX? I prefer a manual car but automatic is ok.. are they both auto? does the GSX come in manual? I've also seen the eclipse look with the convertible look, i hate that![/QUOTE]

Wow.. you sound like you don't know shit about cars.. and I thought I didn't know anything..

Well.. in addition to the uglyass body kit, fart-sounding exhaust, 5hp decals, and 30 pound wing dragging your ass, you'll have to get a bright lime green paint job and some neon colored bass lights to go along with your trance and techno..

[quote name='chaarlieee']Wow.. you sound like you don't know shit about cars.. and I thought I didn't know anything..

Well.. in addition to the uglyass body kit, fart-sounding exhaust, 5hp decals, and 30 pound wing dragging your ass, you'll have to get a bright lime green paint job and some neon colored bass lights to go along with your trance and techno..[/QUOTE]

thank you for mocking me ass hole, i just wanted some answers jeez i know i don't know sh!t about cars that's why i'm asking people you dick

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']thank you for mocking me ass hole, i just wanted some answers jeez i know i don't know sh!t about cars that's why i'm asking people you dick[/QUOTE]
You're welcome, cock sucker.

You're welcome, cock sucker.

You didn't want to ask a car forum because you didn't want to get laughed at, what do you expects going to happen here? Actually, you're better off asking in a car forum because you'll get more serious answers if there's decent people there, and just explain that you want to learn. It's a fucking forum, no one there knows what the hell you look like and nobody will even care. It's not like you're going into an auto shop or auto class in person and asking people to teach you shit. And if you really want to learn, take auto if you're still in high school.

If you're looking into a civic, try http://www.7thgencivic.com. The web site is down right now, but check it out some time. Check all the DIY's and ask questions in the forums, and SEARCH in the forums. You can learn a lot of shit there, even if you're not looking for a civic.

Seriously, go ask a car forum for some great answers. Sure, people will laugh at you and talk shit, but you'll get a lot of good information.

i didn't bother reading most of the posts but.........Dude if you don't know what a turbo is....what the hell is the point of wanting a blow off valve???? Since you don't know much about cars i'll give you the advice not to make your car look like cars in the fast and the furious please....for the love of god....riced out cars= tacky looking and I like imports more then domestic

putting a turbo on your car just so you have the blow of value sound is ridiculous

goto
www.vtec.net
The guys at the temple are really nice the forums there are seperated into each model..so they can give you a huge input on some good 4 bangers from honda...

mmm another thing if your looking into something with a K22 engine from honda get the august issue of Import 2nr when it comes on too newsstands.....they will give you good insight on what is good for the k22s...thats if you are looking at te RSX-S

[quote name='Epic Wolf']Hmm...out here (NY) ricers are looked down on as hicks, its all about stock bodys & all the work goes under the hood...but I like pretty cars 2, lol[/QUOTE]

to the people with a brain they are looked at more as jerks ;)..i mean c;mon, its 3 in the fucking morning and all i hear as VROOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!! SCREEEEECH OOOO SHIT THAT WAS PHAT YO!!! OP...i mean ..whats the deal with the loud muffler, u want it as loud as ....

i never understood the deal with guys and theyr super loud mufflers, are they trying 2 imitate a peacock in mating season?? the louder the muffler the better the guy *shudder*

anyways, ebay should have good deals on loud mufflers all i kno

http://search.ebay.com/gst-muffler_...0QQfposZ11211QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

theres a search for a few..some pretty good prices, hopefuly its wat ur lookin for..good luck, and please..dont screech and VRRROOOM up a neigborhood at 3am :(

[quote name='evilmojo12542']ok I went in and checked it out. Now I know what all these punk driving these fake ass honda speed cars are called. I have actually had them pull up next to me with big ass exhuast tips,stickers out the wazzoooo and huge wings thinking they have a cool fast car in reality they have nothing but a image and lots of wasted cash. You can not beat a old muscle car(mustang,camaro,charger,marlin)
the money it takes to make a foreign car to go fast versus what you can do with a musclecar is no comparison. I will stick to big blocks,flowmaster exhuast systems and beat the living crap out of these wanna be's[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for a similar answer form you..

There are a few cars that I will say watch out for one being Toyota Supra's... I have seen them with 1200 plus Hp under the hood with STOCK internals...

Most the other junk is purely comsetic on these imports.

had some punk kid bring in a car like this into shop today. I am a mechanic for those who did not know. He was dumb enough to take off his aftermarket air filter set up(wich eliminates mass air flow sensor) put factory back on and leave the other crap in back seat like we wouldn't notice it. Brings in for a engine light and running problem. suprise suprise had a mass air flow code in the computer. Had a wing the size of a top fuel car on the back of it and 4 inch tail pipes. bone stock engine(except for air intake system)and loads of stickers everywhere. He actually thought he had a good ride but is nothing more than a image and waster of cash. Give me a big block anyday over these garbage cars

bread's done
Back