Advice: Ps3 slim vs fat

yruluis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (90%)
Sony has the ps3 fat for 279 plus uncharted 1 and ps3 slim with game/controller bundle. I'd pick the fat because it's cheaper. Is there a reason to pick up the slim?

Unless you plan on getting another hard drive, I'd get the slim just because it has more memory. You'd be surprised at how much memory games take up when you need to install them all.

[quote name='TraBuch']Unless you plan on getting another hard drive, I'd get the slim just because it has more memory. You'd be surprised at how much memory games take up when you need to install them all.[/QUOTE]

They're both 160 gb.

I'd get the slim. Seems like a lot of the fats are starting to go. Mine personally did awhile ago.

The slim is also very very quiet. Before my old PS3 got the yellow light it was getting to be pretty loud.

Think of PS3 fats as morbidly obese people. They seem to die at an earlier age. I had my fat for two years... kept in a climate controlled AV cabinet, and regularly inspected for dust. It died and was replaced by a slim.

Get the slim, since it comes with an extra controller. I love my fat, but it's like a brick, is less efficient, and can be noisier at times (especially with big games like RDR or Mass Effect 2). Only thing the fat is better than the slim is in how good it looks.

Just bought a 320gb slim over the weekend to supplement my 60gb fattie (now the downstairs BR player+).
I'd say go with the slim. I never realized my older PS3 was that loud. Big difference. I'm missing the 4 USB ports though on the fat.
Would it hurt Sony to put a single port on the back for the Eye?
Picked up this to help. Ended up being $6.98 after the $10 coupon TD was handing out last week.

Cant really help but tell you my story.
I have a fat 80Gb. Bought from sonystyle CC offer.
Had it for almost 3 years and no probs at all.
It runs real quiet can barely hear the fans.
But i will say i only mostly play the exclusives on it.
Most multiplayer and multiplats i play on my 360 (friends list, xbox live, headset, acheivements, etc...

I would only go with the FAT if there was a good deal just for the purpose of OLD product vs. Newest product, less noise, smaller, less power consumption.
Its def. a good console so you cant go wrong buying one.

With the fat there are WAY too many IF's... Some waves have backwards compad, which enables PS2 booting, 4 usb ports, and a SD card station (I had one very nice). In the VERY likely situation you will get a newer one, the differences are minor. They both have 2 usb ports, cant play ps2 games, etc.

Overall the Slim is a better product, as stated its smaller, uses less power, and it makes less noise.

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but the slim ps3s disc drive is louder than the fat, but the fan noise is much quiter. Overall, unless you can get a PS3 fat that's BC, I'd go with the slim.

I'd get the slim. I say this because my fat just died last weekend after a little over 3.5 years of use. I thought mine was fine and would last me a lifetime and then it went. RIP full backwards compatible PS3...it's a shame that all my consoles dating back to the NES managed to outlive you...

[quote name='WatchdogXC']I'd get the slim. I say this because my fat just died last weekend after a little over 3.5 years of use. I thought mine was fine and would last me a lifetime and then it went. RIP full backwards compatible PS3...it's a shame that all my consoles dating back to the NES managed to outlive you...[/QUOTE]
I still do NOT get how people are so calm when a $300-600 piece of electronics dies after only 3-5 years. To me if I paid that much for a console I want the damned thing to last for 10+ years.

Maybe that's a little unreasonable with the complexity of this gen's consoles, but I still do not understand how people can say 'oh my launch PS3 died, I'll go buy a slim now'. I would NOT support a company for very long whose devices die with normal use.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I still do NOT get how people are so calm when a $300-600 piece of electronics dies after only 3-5 years. To me if I paid that much for a console I want the damned thing to last for 10+ years.

Maybe that's a little unreasonable with the complexity of this gen's consoles, but I still do not understand how people can say 'oh my launch PS3 died, I'll go buy a slim now'. I would NOT support a company for very long whose devices die with normal use.[/QUOTE]

Make no mistake, I'm not too happy right now that I have to get a new one. The reason I'm getting a new one is the amount of money I've invested in games already and I want to be able to play them still. In years past I may have just tried to salvage some money and sell everything off but I have the money to get a new one and just hope I can still get my saves off. I literally got to play MLB the Show 11 for just 4 days before mine broke.

These consoles should last. Like I said, my NES still works, as does my Genesis (with Sega CD), and my N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Game Gear, GBA SP, and Fat DS.

Even though I paid $500 for my PS3, I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it actually. I've put countless hours into games and other entertainment on it (blu ray, netflix, etc). If this happened earlier on in the console lifecycle I might think different. One of the main reasons I got a PS3 over a 360 was I was afraid of the 360 dying on me as that was pre-warranty for RROD.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']Make no mistake, I'm not too happy right now that I have to get a new one. The reason I'm getting a new one is the amount of money I've invested in games already and I want to be able to play them still. In years past I may have just tried to salvage some money and sell everything off but I have the money to get a new one and just hope I can still get my saves off. I literally got to play MLB the Show 11 for just 4 days before mine broke.

These consoles should last. Like I said, my NES still works, as does my Genesis (with Sega CD), and my N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Game Gear, GBA SP, and Fat DS.

Even though I paid $500 for my PS3, I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it actually. I've put countless hours into games and other entertainment on it (blu ray, netflix, etc). If this happened earlier on in the console lifecycle I might think different. One of the main reasons I got a PS3 over a 360 was I was afraid of the 360 dying on me as that was pre-warranty for RROD.[/QUOTE]
That was the reason I steered clear of the 360 myself until I was able to buy an E74 one with an intact warranty seal and a week left on the E74/RROD warranty for $20 console only from a local shop.

Now I have a fixed/refurb 360 inbound to me from MS and I have to decide if I want to buy the accessories necessary to make a complete console, which might cost $60+ total or just to sell it on CL for $60-90 console only and make a few bucks.;)

As for getting the most from a console even so early in a gen I can say that I too have played the hell out of my PS3's and it's a pretty damn good console for how many hours I've plunked onto the ones I have.

But I do wish that consoles started out priced cheaper than they did this gen.

Probably jinxing myself, but my 60 (now 500) GB BC PS3 I picked up in December of 2006 is still going strong.

I'll be heartbroken when that thing dies.

[quote name='Vader582']Just bought a 320gb slim over the weekend to supplement my 60gb fattie (now the downstairs BR player+).
I'd say go with the slim. I never realized my older PS3 was that loud. Big difference. I'm missing the 4 USB ports though on the fat.
Would it hurt Sony to put a single port on the back for the Eye?
Picked up this to help. Ended up being $6.98 after the $10 coupon TD was handing out last week.[/QUOTE]

I was forced to buy a slim after my old fat died and I was really annoyed at losing usb ports. Are they really so expensive that they can only spare 2? Xbox raised it to 4 with their slim model.

I prefer the looks of what you got but I opted for a powered usb hub because I've heard that the PS3 slim usb ports are weaker.

bread's done
Back