AFA ( Action Figure Authority) now to grade video games!!!??!! (coupon code)

cag1000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Ok to get them out of the way...

1. If repost delete
2. If you find the coupons do not work move to another forum. But I think this might belong in the deals forum especially to get the word out on this.

AFA grades toys and seals them in acrylic cases to be sold for 1.5 million times the current value. Now they are accepting video games at www.vggrader.com.

It will take some time, but just as toys have multiplied in % return on sale, if graded video games come even a little close to graded toys and comics we will see a huge change in selling sealed rare games on ebay and elsewhere. Not sure if these work for video games but here are the March deal coupon codes....

March’s Spectacular Specials!
$$$$

• [*]Submissions in March - In order to thank our loyal customers, we will be offering a 15% discount on all Premium and Express submissions received in March. Simply print this page and include it with your submission form. Remember that your box must arrive at the CGA facility by March 31 to receive this spectacular discount.
    [*]Sliding Bottom Case Orders - In order to celebrate the grand opening of the CGA Online Store, please enter coupon code MARCH2395 at checkout prior to March 31 in order to receive a 20% discount on all on-line orders.
*please note that these offers cannot be combined with any other discounts or special offers*

Not a shock. I was just marveling at the size of the ad Brian's Toys has been placing in the latest toy/comic magazines with his buy prices for old sealed Nintendo games. Must be the Star Wars market isn't what it used to be. Now he can jack up the prices on games even more

I could understand doing this with cards, comics and toys but not video games. SOmething about sealing a video game just doesn't make sense to me.

On another note. If i get all os my still packaged Star Wars toys from 1996 - 1999 does that mean they'll finally be worth the millions I thought they would by now?

I'm sure there will be people who will overpay for a Gem Mint 10 sealed copy of some game. But if you're not buying the game to play it at some point, I don't see the point.

Wow - this seems sort of odd to me. Must be for the guys who would rather display their games on a trophy wall instead of playing them. I know people do this for action figures, but video games seems a little odd.

What person is going to fork out big $ without actually being able to grade them themselves. High end art might require a serious appraiser, but to be honest, any person can learn to grade comics/toys/games/cards.

so what is a 10.0 ps2 game, one that has perfectly unblemished cellophane?

people with too much spare cash get their games/toys graded.

edit: ok you pay to have your game graded and sealed up. You must have a lot of trust that no one at the company might decide, wow I never played this game. oh WTH , it is going to get sealed up anyway.

I am convinced it is just a silly idea.

Makes absolutely no sense.

If you're looking to make an investment, then do so. Video games isn't the way to invest your money.

If you're looking to have a nice display, there are easier and less cumbersome ways to do so.

Ugg...

Ahh grading the reason I stopped collecting cards, and comics. This is just pure BS come on at least I can understand grading a card or comic based on edge, pages, color etc etc. But a sealed game any idiot can see if the box is in good shape and if the original wrapping is on it.

EDIT: The only thing I could see is a used CD based game to grade if there are scratches and how bad. Otehr than that I see no use.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Ahh grading the reason I stopped collecting cards, and comics. This is just pure BS come on at least I can understand grading a card or comic based on edge, pages, color etc etc. But a sealed game any idiot can see if the box is in good shape and if the original wrapping is on it.

EDIT: The only thing I could see is a used CD based game to grade if there are scratches and how bad. Other than that I see no use.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. My favorite is in Previews they list NEW comics immediately graded at roughly 15 times the cover price. The fact that they continue to do it means SOMEONE is making money on it somewhere...

Here is some more info directly from AFA to add to my first post.

First, we have announced the launch of the Video Game Authority, VGA, to begin grading factory sealed video games from select game systems. Initially, we will offer grading for games designed for Atari, NES, and SNES as well as games presently in release. The website for this new service will be located at www.vggrader.com.

This doesn't seem strange to me at all. Not sure what the argument is with the "why buy it if you're not going to play it", because most collectors already have an opened copy of the game in their collection to play. It's not like they're hoarding all the copies of Chrono Trigger and no one else can play it because 95% of the copies of Chrono Trigger are already opened.

True collectors buy sealed games for the nostalgia. Buying graded games just ensures you're actually getting a sealed game since most transactions occur online.

I think you guys are getting true collectors confused with investors - which probably won't ever be a problem like it was/is in trading cards and comics.

[quote name='jaybird']
I think you guys are getting true collectors confused with investors - which probably won't ever be a problem like it was/is in trading cards and comics.[/quote]

I disagree, part of the reason I stopped collecting was because of grading that attracts investors. I am someone who collects for the reason of I just want to own the rare stuff. However introduce this BS grading system then people with more money then they know what to do with it start buying up the rare high graded stuff and use it as an investment.

I wonder when they will be expanding to PSOne, as I am sure people will want their sealed FF7 black label, Valkyrie Profile, or suikoden 2 graded

[quote name='62t']I wonder when they will be expanding to PSOne, as I am sure people will want their sealed FF7 black label, Valkyrie Profile, or suikoden 2 graded[/quote]

True dat. I think they saw the sealed Chrono Trigger on Kotaku and said "Hey, people will pay ridiculous mark ups on old video games too. Let's grade those."

It was bound to happen, but it doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it.

With cards grading and the like makes perfect sense to me. With sports cards (and unless you want to violate them with your bike) there's no real use for them anyway. You look at them, that's about all you can do so putting them in plastic, grading and so on makes perfect sense.

Comics, I think it got way away from the point which is reading them. Now the goal is to not read them which kind of sucks if not for the fact you can get like 500 Spider Man comics on one DVD now that sells for 30 bucks, so you can put the comics in the slab and still enjoy them...

However, video games? Part of the issue I have with grading them is that a responsible person should be able to play them without causing additional harm, but if you think you have a gem mint 10 (or would that only apply to sealed) copy of Final Fantasy 39 and you feel you can't play it because it might become a 9 and thus become worthless... well that seems like it would suck because I don't think they have a format yet that will house all 40 Final Fantasy games.

bread's done
Back