Afterfall: InSanity (preorder) for $1* (if 10 million people pre-order it)

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!
* If the game is pre-ordered 10 million times, it will only cost
you $1. Otherwise, it will cost $34.

http://www.afterfall-universe.com/en/index

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/afterfall-insanity-will-be-1-if-it-hits-10-million-pre-orders/

As of October 15, there are 16,826 pre-orders.

You can pre-order more than once, and for each one, will get
an access key. Pre-order it 10 times, and add 10 to the counter.

Um, is it okay to post about this kind of deal?

For the record, I am in no way connected to the dev's nor pub's. I don't have any sort of
friendship with them, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GlassAgate']* If the game is pre-ordered 10 million times, it will only cost
you $1. Otherwise, it will cost $34.

http://www.afterfall-universe.com/en/index

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/afterfall-insanity-will-be-1-if-it-hits-10-million-pre-orders/

As of October 15, there are 16,826 pre-orders.
You can pre-order more than once, and for each one, will get
an access key. Pre-order it 10 times, and add 10 to the counter.

Um, is it okay to post about this kind of deal?

For the record, I am in no way connected to the dev's nor pub's. I don't have any sort of
friendship with them, either.[/QUOTE]

Lol... good luck with that.

its an interesting idea i saw the video however the fact remains that there is about a 0 chance of this happening.

the game looks decent but its not going to get 10 million preorders... i doubt even call of duty gets that many preorders.

Its easy to pull the trigger on a $1 donation, but I highly doubt it will reach 10M.. the game will release 11/25 so they have roughly 40 days. So they have about 16,000 right now..

... and they would need to average 250,000 pre-orders per day.. that would need a massive PR initiative and I highly doubt they will put any money or effort into that :) .. and like vashtheowner said, for most of us this would be the first time hearing about this game.

The game looks like it has Dead Space feel on it..

[quote name='FlipSide']Its easy to pull the trigger on a $1 donation, but I highly doubt it will reach 10M.. the game will release 11/25 so they have roughly 40 days. So they have about 16,000 right now..

... and they would need to average 250,000 pre-orders per day.. that would need a massive PR initiative and I highly doubt they will put any money or effort into that :) .. and like vashtheowner said, for most of us this would be the first time hearing about this game.

The game looks like it has Dead Space feel on it..[/QUOTE]

I thought the same about the Dead Space feel to it. I don't know if it's just me, but that voice acting in the trailer sounded terrible. I think they'd be lucky if they hit 1 million preorders..

Someone is setting some unattainable goals methinks. Nice way to get some buzz going, and to be honest, the game looks pretty darned good for what it is (Unreal Engine 3).

If they wanted more people to do this, they really should've set a more realistic goal. Chances are most people will look at that site, see that they aren't even 1% of the way to this happening and move on.

I might've been tempted if he number was (much) lower. 10 million though? Let's keep in mind that that many preorders would make it the 7th most sold PC game ever, right behind StarCraft and right ahead of Half-Life.

But then, this is good advertising for this game, which is likely all their going for. Like vashtheowner, I had never heard of this game prior to this post either.

Sorry but this isn't happening. I doubt they hit 1million; which is what their goal should have been in the first place. 10 million is absurd

[quote name='sunghost']I thought the same about the Dead Space feel to it. I don't know if it's just me, but that voice acting in the trailer sounded terrible. I think they'd be lucky if they hit 1 million preorders..[/QUOTE]

Its not just you.

The graphics also look...pretty underwhelming.

Will they be e-mailing you with confirmation that your $1 went to charity? Would that be enough proof to claim on your income tax return next year?

They expect pre-orders to exceed 10 million copies? They want to sell more copies than Final Fantasy 7, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1/2, any game in the Halo series, any game in the Gears of War series, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, any Saturn game, any Atari game, any Dreamcast game, any Xbox game, any Gamecube game, any PSP game, and any PS3 game before it's even released?

Good fucking luck, you shitty developers.

I love the dev/pum/marketing's stupidity in saying 10 million.

"Hey lets do some type of promotion to get some preorders and buzz online"
"uhhh, well we could do like a kickstarter thing"
"I dont know"
"what if we say if this many people preorder, they get a discount"
"How much of a discount?"
"How about if we say if a million people preorder, they all get it for $1, than we make 1 million guaranteed and a lot of buzz online?"

marketing director sleeping in corner finally wakes up
"No you idiots, make it 10 million preorders, that way it will never be reached and you get all the online buzz for free while not having to sell the game for $1. Add some charity BS in there too so you dont look like total assholes."

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I love the dev/pum/marketing's stupidity in saying 10 million.

"No you idiots, make it 10 million preorders, that way it will never be reached and you get all the online buzz for free while not having to sell the game for $1. Add some charity BS in there too so you dont look like total assholes."[/QUOTE]
Bingo. As much as I like indie devs doing innovative things, this is absolute nonsense that I refuse to support. There's no way that they'll hit 10 million and they know it. The Humble Indie bundles haven't come close to that number of units or dollars, but their title selection has been superior and they support actual charities and causes.

NEG is just trolling for attention, and unlike other "public buys X copies for Y dollars by Z date or we'll refund the money" if they fail to hit the target they'll instead take your money and donate it to a mystery charity without giving you anything. What if this "mystery charity" is something asinine like the ECA or The Human Fund?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='V4oLDbOY']
marketing director sleeping in corner finally wakes up
"No you idiots, make it 10 million preorders, that way it will never be reached and you get all the online buzz for free while not having to sell the game for $1. Add some charity BS in there too so you dont look like total assholes."[/QUOTE]

I'll show them.. I'll order 10,000,000 preorders!

How much is the game if it doesn't work out? Do you get stuck buying the game at that price if you "bet" on this?

I've seen news for this stupid gimmick spammed all over internets message boards.

Indie games suck and crap like this is why.

I think you all forgot about the best part:

If the pre-orders don't reach 10 million, then you will have to pay the rest of the full price, which is $33.90.

10 million....really? This reminds me of that one game (wolfenstein on xbox 360 I think) that would give you the game for free if they sold as many copies as Madden except for 1,000,000 times worse.

I think the whole point of saying 10 million is because they know they won't hit it and therefore it all goes to charity.

[quote name='Guerrilla']NEG is just trolling for attention, and unlike other "public buys X copies for Y dollars by Z date or we'll refund the money" if they fail to hit the target they'll instead take your money and donate it to a mystery charity without giving you anything. What if this "mystery charity" is something asinine like the ECA or The Human Fund?[/QUOTE]

Charity is the PAD Fund aka the Pay Afterfall Developers Fund.

But yes, pretty asinine that they don't even disclose what charity all this money will be going towards. Of course, even dumber is this really doesn't incentivize giving to charity. If I was someone not interested in the game, but wanted to support the charity they picked, why would I give to them since it would get them closer to their goal of taking all that money for themselves?

Since they have to know they'll never reach 10 million preorders, it would've been a much smarter move to say all the money goes to charity regardless.

[quote name='helmet']Pfft, we'll see who is laughing when I buy 10,000,000 copies at the last minute and flip them for $2.[/QUOTE]

You know, I never really realized that. You're paying $1 for the games right now. Make 34 preorders and you have 34 copies of the game for $34 (retail price of the game) that you can flip for quite a profit, if they hit 10,000,000. If someone actually bought $10,000,000 worth, 10,000,000 copies (lol), they could easily get 15x their money $150,000,000 out of it, assuming the game was good enough, someone had enough money, every copy was sold for $15 (very reasonable imo), and one could find enough publicity/advertisement to get all of the copies sold. That's a hell of a lot of money made lol...

Wtf was I thinking writing all of that?... Worthless lol...

[quote name='atreyuevr']assuming the game was good enough, [/QUOTE]
Found the flaw in your logic.

Also assuming you could shift that many copies before it appeared in a HIB

[quote name='RollingSkull']Found the flaw in your logic.[/QUOTE]

Lol well that's why I said assuming it was good. =P Didn't say it was lol.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Also assuming you could shift that many copies before it appeared in a HIB[/QUOTE]

You think it'll be in one? Lol... You're not really the person I should be asking to answer that question. Nevermind. XD

[quote name='Guerrilla']What if this "mystery charity" is something asinine like the ECA or The Human Fund?[/QUOTE]

Or even worse: PETA.

Just the thought of accidentally contributing to the fight to take away my precious cheap meat makes me say no thanks.

I feel like I read somewhere that if they don't hit 10 million they'd charge all the $1 preorders the full $34.95...

If that is the case, they really aren't making that clear on the site.

[quote name='Doomstink']I feel like I read somewhere that if they don't hit 10 million they'd charge all the $1 preorders the full $34.95...

If that is the case, they really aren't making that clear on the site.[/QUOTE]

It says so in the video, but you're right the site is pretty misleading. I decided to go through the checkout process and the final charge on paypal is $1.11. Can they even legally charge you more than that?

I think some people are giving the game itself to hard a time. For an indie game, especially one most of us have never heard of it, it looks pretty impressive. Obviously not AAA big studio impressive but nonetheless it doesn't look bad at all. Hell, I'd say it looks better than a lot of crap that actual major studios have released

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ozqvW8KUBs

I think the dev might actually be doing more harm than good since the game could have been praised on its own merits but now is being associated with a ridiculous offer that makes people scoff at the devs

I wouldn't preorder this game for 1 cent and if they don't hit 10 million they will charge me $1... Europeans gypsys always trying to rob/spam someone...

Brilliant marketing idea. After watching the trailers for the game, I'm intrigued. I hadn't heard of the game until this. So yeah, brilliant marketing ploy.

bread's done
Back