Age restrictions on all games at walmart?

Nathan_Sama

CAGiversary!
I was at walmart look to pick up a copy of Fable 2, and I saw one of my freshmen buddy from school there. He was looking to buy a PS3 game and asked me advice on what to get.
It went like this:

John: Hey Nathan is Legendary good?
Me: nope.
John: Well what about Kane & Lynch?
Me: its so-so, but have you got Uncharted?
John: Is it good?
Me: It got really good reviews, but I haven't played it. (don't have a PS3)
John: Alright I'll get it then.

*He asks the cashier lady to get it from the case for him*

Cashier Lady: Oh, im sorry you can't buy this. You're not 17.
Me: Um, thats a rated T game. He can buy it.
CL: NO HE CAN'T. You can't buy any game here unless your 17!

So ended up he had to call his mom to get it for him.

Has this happened to any other teen CAGs?
Im 17, but I feel sorry them because I got in this situation many times.

T for TEEN. You only have to be 13 to buy it. But then again, Wal-Mart is REALLLLLY anal about their age limits. If the cashier sold a game to a 16 year old who was turning 17 in one day, the cashier would probably be burned at the stake.

Yeah this happened to me once before I turned 17. It actually happened when I was buying Guitar Hero 3. For some reason the person working was like NO YOU CANT BUY IT. I don't know at least my parents had just dropped me off there so I was able to call them.

it use to be policy that a parent could return a game if they thought the game was too violent(though thankfully retired due fraudulent returns, hell there was a couple that would buy games on GR on BlaFri then complain after the holidays...so dont even think about it)

a few/alot of stores do the nosale without id just to cover their backsides.

"You can't buy any game here unless your 17!"

The employee must be really confused about the policy. I would call the manager and complain. You mean my niece can't walk in to Wal-Mart buy Pretty Poniez or something? That's stupid.

Policies like this are really frustrating and annoying, though... I'm 24 and I always get carded buying M rated games...

I have never had that happen for games. One time I was trying to buy a copy of Napoleon Dynamite, which is rated PG, and I was told I couldn't buy it, and I would have to get one of my parents to buy it for me.

[quote name='DM7000']Yeah this happened to me once before I turned 17. It actually happened when I was buying Guitar Hero 3. For some reason the person working was like NO YOU CANT BUY IT. I don't know at least my parents had just dropped me off there so I was able to call them.[/quote]

The bigger question here is why are your parents dropping you off and leaving you at Wal-Mart when you are under age??

[quote name='THoward7382']The bigger question here is why are your parents dropping you off and leaving you at Wal-Mart when you are under age??[/quote]my dad was picking up groceries...

I just got carded at gamestop the other day when I bought orange box. I'm freakin' 35 and am starting to go gray! I just laughed at the guy and asked him if he was serious!

Never bought a game at wal mart, but I have gotten denied T rated games at Kmart.

Target always lets me buy M rated games too, which is cool.

geez,at toys r us They card you for rated T Games WTF?I Told this to my mom's friend and she said:are they serious?Carding for rated T Games?

And Wow That is stupid and that's why I Hate Wal-mart ever since they Put No More Heroes In A Bargain Bin

Target is just as bad. I'm 17, turning 18 in less than two months, and yesterday Target wouldnt allow me to buy Devil May Cry 4. The manager said that if the computer flags anything as having to show ID to purchase, then you have to be 18. She said it was Targets policy. I and the customer in line behind me argued that the game said 17+ but no deal. I ended up missing out on the last one becaus I didnt have time to get one of my parents over there to buy it for me. Ugh, Im hoping I got an idiot manager and thats not really a corporate policy.

I don't think publishers and developers would be happy to hear this, they are clearly losing sales here because of policies that should not exist or retail clerks and managers that are so stupid they don't know their own store policies. There is absolutely no reason to card for any game (E rated through Teen rated), if a kid saved their money and wants to go buy a game that is E-T rated they should be able to do that.

I would inform the publisher/developer of the game about this and what store it happened at. I would also inform corporate. Retail stores are constantly complaining of lagging sales, gee I wonder why. No wonder almost everyone is moving towards online shopping, retailers clearly make their stores places that you just don't want to be in.

[quote name='GameBoyee']And Wow That is stupid and that's why I Hate Wal-mart ever since they Put No More Heroes In A Bargain Bin[/quote]
And that is bad why?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']And that is bad why?[/quote]

1.Its An A+ Game
2.Damn kids dont know good Games
3.Cause It wasant selling Well
4.Damn employees

I take my grandpa and their like you know your buying an M game for a minor and hes like who the fuck cares its a game. Then their all ;( cuz they didn't get their way.

I actually got asked for my age of birth when purchase this certain mature rated game at Target, at other times they asked for my ID. Most of these places seem not to care though

[quote name='dodgeme']I take my grandpa and their like you know your buying an M game for a minor and hes like who the fuck cares its a game. Then their all ;( cuz they didn't get their way.[/quote]

lol. ur grandpa is gangsta. 1 time at Target they carded me 4 buying GunGrave. I was like wtf?

[quote name='sml_mndz']lol. ur grandpa is gangsta. 1 time at Target they carded me 4 buying GunGrave. I was like wtf?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Awesome grandpa.

I got carded for Time Crisis 3 at Best Buy back when I was 18. Time Crisis 3 is rated T. It comes with a light gun, but so what? Can't sell toy guns to kids anymore? What is this world coming to?

A couple months later at that same Best Buy, I bought an anime box set there. Steel Angel Kurumi. That anime has tits galore, and nobody carded me for it. Weird.

From my experiences of working in Electronics at Walmart, the register will only prompt age checks if its an M rated game. I never had to refuse a sale if someone was buying a T rated game and was not 17.

Havent been in Electronics in 6 months (now in overnight receiving) but as far as I know its still the same.

And if they do card you even if you are like 5+ years older than the age limit, its just for their own job security. There are people out there that look far older than they really are. Heck they changed the card policy a few months ago on alcohol purchasing. We have to card everyone who looks under the age of 40 no matter if you can tell that the person is clearly over 21. It's just a store policy. Takes 10 seconds more of your time.

I'm not sure if the register still checks like it does for Tobacco products, but if the cashier clears the age prompt too quickly they can be written up for that. I think the tobacco prompts now make the cashier enter the birthdate listed on the ID so it can't just be cleared, but in the past before they made the birthday have to be entered if the prompts were being cleared too quickly it would flag it on a report printed out in the Accounting Office each day saying that the prompts were being cleared at a quick rate. If that happened too often the cashier would be coached and written up. Too often and it was grounds to be moved to another department or terminated. Wal-Mart doesn't want to get caught in a local sting for underage buyers. They've always done it for tobacco around here and they have started to do it with games/entertainment products as well.

Thank the gaming gods that I was already 17 by the time the ESRB was established, though I will say that Walmart is the only chain I know of that so stringently enforces it.

To that I have to say this: Good for them.

At least that way I don't have to worry about some 12 yr old getting GTAIV and screaming in my fuckin' ear when I'm playing Team Deathmatch online.

[quote name='gamer4432']From my experiences of working in Electronics at Walmart, the register will only prompt age checks if its an M rated game. I never had to refuse a sale if someone was buying a T rated game and was not 17.

Havent been in Electronics in 6 months (now in overnight receiving) but as far as I know its still the same.

And if they do card you even if you are like 5+ years older than the age limit, its just for their own job security. There are people out there that look far older than they really are. Heck they changed the card policy a few months ago on alcohol purchasing. We have to card everyone who looks under the age of 40 no matter if you can tell that the person is clearly over 21. It's just a store policy. Takes 10 seconds more of your time.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much the policy for buying alcohol at ANY store here, and some stores have just instituted a policy where they have to card EVERYONE buying alcohol no matter your age. That is mostly in effect at grocery stores.

[quote name='gamer4432']From my experiences of working in Electronics at Walmart, the register will only prompt age checks if its an M rated game. I never had to refuse a sale if someone was buying a T rated game and was not 17.

And if they do card you even if you are like 5+ years older than the age limit, its just for their own job security. There are people out there that look far older than they really are. Heck they changed the card policy a few months ago on alcohol purchasing. We have to card everyone who looks under the age of 40 no matter if you can tell that the person is clearly over 21. It's just a store policy. Takes 10 seconds more of your time.[/quote]

It's the same policy still. I work in Electronics and have never even been hinted at by management to not sell more games. Sure, if the customer wants to pay for it up front, I need to walk it up there to the Service Desk but that prevents $60 games being slit open and shoplifted.

This lady who refused the sale of a T game is in the wrong. Only M games have an actual sales restriction. T doesn't so you can be 9 years old buying a T game and it's legal but 16 and 364 days doesn't cut it for M. It's just policy and there's not much that can be done about it. Personally, my job is worth more than ten seconds of our time so I have no real problem with checking ID's or having mine checked.

bread's done
Back