Aion: The Tower of Eternity (MMORPG)

I really don't see why not. I'm sure they'd want to test the server load.

Although, it's not a good sign of things when the NCSoft client is downloading at a SCREAMING 5kbps.

I'm a little confused here. I'm pretty sure this client (via the links on the news article) I'm downloading, isn't just a client, but the whole freaking game. The download clocks in at over 9GB. Oh well, may as well get the whole game now rather than later.

And LoL at the download speed. Let's see here....there are 30,000+ leechers and less than 3500 seeds. Yeah, it's going to be a while.

Its very pretty from what I can see
My friend wants me to to buy it so we can play it together he's a bit of NCSoft fan boy.
I had no idea there was an open bata

After the "problems" from Warhammer Online and the apparent grind that Champions Online has adopted from CoH, I'm sitting this one out until it's completely vetted.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']After the "problems" from Warhammer Online and the apparent grind that Champions Online has adopted from CoH, I'm sitting this one out until it's completely vetted.[/QUOTE]

This game has been out since November of 08 in Korea, so they have had a good amount of time to work out any problems with it.

Also if any of you are looking for a solid Asmodian Legion at Launch, check out the guild I run with:

Recruitment Thread:
http://www.aionsource.com/forum/asm...tired-guilds-failing-deliver-breaking-up.html

Guild Website:
http://www.fistoftheempire.com/

Force PVP is a no for me so I'm skipping this game. I had it pre-ordered and played the CBT's but it's meh at best.

I haven't played an mmo game since I quit WoW. I liked playing in this one. Hopped in during the first closed beta weekend and liked it since. It feels like a mish mash of lots of mmo's. But still the same grind-fest as most. It is stunning to look at when you're playing. We could only get to level 30 during betas, so no end game stuff. Yea, I'd say if you're interested, give the open beta a spin. Either you like it or you don't :) Can't beat a free week of gameplay.

And yes, the downloads have always gone really slow. I think sometime in about the 3rd or 4th weekend my download went pretty fast and finished in a day. Other than that, it just craweled.

If you're trying to update the game, you must use BitTorrent. The NCSoft Launcher is going at a screaming 5kbps and Fileplanet can go fuck itself.

Not sure if Fileshack has it hosted also you can grab it from there. I downloaded mine from Fileplanet. Only have a free account but still 9gigs downloaded in like 2hours or so on my DSL.

Pre-ordered this a while back. I've been trying to find a PvP game that's actually worth playing, and Aion looks like the best thing out there. A lot of WAR players are moving to Aion, because of the major issues in WAR that haven't been fixed yet, one year after launch.

Definitely BitTorrent this, otherwise you'll be waiting hours.

I played the Chinese version a bit, and a bit of the closed beta as well. I thought it was pretty fun and I have it preordered.

Oh, and you can get the client at filefront as well. That site has been pretty quick for me.

And to those worried about forced PvP, don't worry, you can completely avoid it if you want to, but I think it adds to the fun. :)

There are zones with no PvP.
There are zones with rifts every couple hours, for some PvP.
And there's the Abyss, that is always PvP.
Don't forget it's not open PvP, but just against the opposing faction.

There is a small 1.5.0.3 update patch clocking in at 21MB. Run the NCSoft Launcher to download it. Speeds are a lot better now too.

I actually wanted to try this out and seems interesting that you need a key for an OPEN beta..
Any one have one for NA laying about?

I actually wanted to try this out and seems interesting that you need a key for an OPEN beta..
Any one have a key for NA laying about?

Well heres how to get a EU key for free..
http://www.hardgame2.com/www/index.html

Click foros on the top right, then register. put in a name and email obviously, use a number in your password.
once your signed up, send an email from any email account to, [email protected]
subject something like : aion beta key
and in body, something like this :
"mi nick en el foro es (then type ur forum account name)"

I got a reply with a key in 5 mins

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I found it odd that you needed a key for an open beta as well. I don't remember them even mentioning where you can get one. I just assumed they would send it out to people who already have an NCsoft account. Or at least advertise and have a page to sign up for one on the main Aion or NCsoft site.

Yea, right now I have my friend using my ncsoft account with my preorder code. It's kind of sucky that you need a key for "open" beta. To me that still seems like closed beta to me. I hope some of you can get a chance to play it this week.

Ah well, would have been nice to check the game out, but it is what it is. Don't really have the time or money to put into an MMO right now anyway (with so many games coming out this fall/winter).

Will definitely be keeping an eye on it though. Hopefully a free trial will be available early next year.

When the open beta first started yesterday, it was smooth for me too but only four servers were open at the time. Quickly they hit high capacity and lag did kick in then. Afterwords I switched to one of the new servers.

While that thread is interesting, my ping in game is averaging around 100ms to 150ms latency on a newer "Low" populated server. I'm hearing people complain about it and posting high pings in the region chat. I did try their traceroute from that thread and mine has its requests time out after a certain point too... but then why would I not be effected in game if they were one and the same?

Oh and of course a traceroute can be blocked at the server which is causing the timeout. While I don't doubt that it's happening to people, I don't believe that thread has the cause pinpointed.

I pre-ordered the LE version from NewEgg... but have yet to get an email with the beta key. Anyone know how I can claim one? Thanks :)

Try emailing or calling newegg customer support. Calling them is of course faster.

Keep in mind the Open Beta will end Sunday/Monday of next week I believe?

EDIT: Typo.

Anyone wanting a key just head over to fileplanet. All you have to do is be a registered user (not a subscriber) and you can get one. I'm downloading it now.

The game is definitely great to look at. From what I've played, it seems like it's basically a prettier World of Warcraft. One thing I don't like with the character creation is how crappy the male facial hair looks. It's just really cheap and cartoon looking compared to everything else.

[quote name='Triggerhappy14']For those who preordered, you can make 2 characters now and be ready to play for tomorrow at 12:00 PST[/QUOTE]
While I was out yesterday, I made my boyfriend log in and snag me 2 names. I have no life >.

It looks like I still can't login for some reason. I pre-ordered the LE version a few days ago and made two characters on Ariel. Is anyone else having an issue logging into the system today?

[quote name='Pck21']It looks like I still can't login for some reason. I pre-ordered the LE version a few days ago and made two characters on Ariel. Is anyone else having an issue logging into the system today?[/QUOTE]Didn't have a problem, but check your PlayNC account and make sure your Aion account type is 'Pre Order' rather than 'Beta'.

[quote name='franz ferdinand']A lot of WAR players are moving to Aion, because of the major issues in WAR that haven't been fixed yet, one year after launch.[/QUOTE]

This is my situation. I love WAR, but I came to the realization that the game really isn't going to get any better than it is right now. There's no new content on the horizon, so once you've maxed out your character, what do you do with him? RvRing over and over again gets boring eventually. Aion has a similar setup, but with 3.5 million players in Korea it's bound to be supported for a long time. WAR is already on the ropes after only a year.

I'm not sure what server I'm going to be on, but I'll be logging on over the next few days and rolling Elyos somewhere. I simply haven't had time to endure the two-hour server queues.

EDIT: I rolled Elyos on Azphel. Based on some of the guilds going there (PRX, Lucid Vision, etc.), it should be a very active PvP server.

I wish this game were free online a la Guild Wars. I'd be all over it. Or even a tiny fee for pay to play, instead of $15/mo. I'm broke!

So now that the game is out, how is it? Does it suffer like other MMOs at launch with bugs and imbalances? Everything I've read about this game has intrigued me, except for that it's a grind, but what MMO isn't?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']So now that the game is out, how is it? Does it suffer like other MMOs at launch with bugs and imbalances? Everything I've read about this game has intrigued me, except for that it's a grind, but what MMO isn't?[/QUOTE]

Very smooth launch as far as MMOs go. Only real hiccup is server queue times for some servers, which I think are getting better. There are very few bugs and the game has great balance as it has been out in Korea for almost a year I believe and has been going through constant polish. Very fun so far.

Does the game have a set story that can be beaten ala Guild Wars?

If so, could it be beaten within a month? It is my understanding that the game comes with a free month, so I would be down to buy it if it could be beaten in a month playing a few hours a day. Of course if its like other MMO's and doesn't really have an ending I wouldn't be interested in it anyway.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Does the game have a set story that can be beaten ala Guild Wars?

If so, could it be beaten within a month? It is my understanding that the game comes with a free month, so I would be down to buy it if it could be beaten in a month playing a few hours a day. Of course if its like other MMO's and doesn't really have an ending I wouldn't be interested in it anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it's like Guild Wars in that regard. Plus, I think you would need to play more than a few hours a day to get to level 50 as well. You're probably better off waiting for them to release a free trial to see if you like it.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']So now that the game is out, how is it? Does it suffer like other MMOs at launch with bugs and imbalances? Everything I've read about this game has intrigued me, except for that it's a grind, but what MMO isn't?[/QUOTE]
I haven't had a problem with it. The first two days I think was more of a wait in queue (like 5-10 minutes on Siel server). No bugs, glitches or imbalances so far. It's pretty solid. It felt that way during beta for me also.

The first day was just jam packed with people all over the place. They all moved at around the same rate for questing. I decided to go out to eat and came back an hour later to find questing a lot easier since the initial mob had moved along. Now it's a lot better that people are scattered around and all different levels.

I don't play nonstop or anything since I have classes and work. But when I do log on, there's never a shortage of people in the LFG channel. I did turn off a couple of the chat channels because on the first few days it was full of nothing but WoW comparison, and that got annoying rather quickly.

bread's done
Back