Air conditioner advice

ChibiJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I moved into a new apartment last month, and it doesn't have air conditioning. To add to the troubles, the windows are slider/casement, so a normal AC isn't going to fit. They made ACs that fit into these types of windows, but I was wondering if anyone had these? Or maybe portable ACs that have the hoses that go out the window? Any advice?

Thanks.

Just expect a hike in your electric bill. You have to leave those window A/C units running all the time if you want to keep your room cool.

I know. The only utility I pay is electric, and my first bill was less than $20. Even if it doubles, I'm not worried since it'll only be for 2-3 months.

If you can stomach the room being warmer than usual but still not *too* hot, get a big fan and stick it on the windowsill, and leave the window open. Of course if you're on the first floor, only do this when you're there, but it actually really helps to keep the place cool. I used this in my college dorm sophomore year that had no AC and it actually worked fairly well, especially since I like the room to be cool when I sleep at night. This would be a lot cheaper than using the AC too.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If you can stomach the room being warmer than usual but still not *too* hot, get a big fan and stick it on the windowsill, and leave the window open. Of course if you're on the first floor, only do this when you're there, but it actually really helps to keep the place cool. I used this in my college dorm sophomore year that had no AC and it actually worked fairly well, especially since I like the room to be cool when I sleep at night. This would be a lot cheaper than using the AC too.[/QUOTE]

hes right it does work i did it in college too and growing up in the apts ( until we got air conditioners installed). in college we also kept our doors open and this amazing breeze would woosh through the halls into the dormrooms but we all trusted each other and knew everyone on the floor i wouldnt do that this day and age.

having a cold drink around can help to or keep ice packs around.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']If you can stomach the room being warmer than usual but still not *too* hot, get a big fan and stick it on the windowsill, and leave the window open. Of course if you're on the first floor, only do this when you're there, but it actually really helps to keep the place cool. I used this in my college dorm sophomore year that had no AC and it actually worked fairly well, especially since I like the room to be cool when I sleep at night. This would be a lot cheaper than using the AC too.[/QUOTE]

I do that. It works great at night, but not so great during the day. I also like to have friends over somewhat frequently, and it gets sweltering whenever there are a couple people over watching a movie or playing video games.

shit i cant imagine playing a ps3 or 360 in a non airconditioned dorm room lmao that has to fucking suck and add to that people.

My grandparents had one of those portable ACs with the window tube thing. It seemed to work fine. Only thing I noticed is that because it's on the ground, the upper part of the room took longer to get cool. Also, i think those have to have the water emptied out because of condensation but i might be wrong.

I live in an older apartment with slider windows like you describe and I just had to install 3 window units as a temporary fix until my central ac can be repaired. If you check at Sears they have a 5000 BTU kenmore ac for $99.99 that will fit into those type windows. They work quite well so far in the most challenging climate imaginable- southern Louisiana where we have gone for 13 days with 100% humidity, temperature over 100 every day, and no rain.

[quote name='Chronis']My grandparents had one of those portable ACs with the window tube thing. It seemed to work fine. Only thing I noticed is that because it's on the ground, the upper part of the room took longer to get cool. Also, i think those have to have the water emptied out because of condensation but i might be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Some of the better ones, that we picked up, actually has a hose to spray the water out the window, like a mist sprayer.

It works quite well but cumbersome because of the large unit and hose attached.

Was able to keep a 40x25 room comfortable while we watched a movie.

Not 100% sure what slider/casement means... but my dad just made a wooden frame that fit in our windows to stick the air condtioners into. A bit cumbersome, but it works.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Not 100% sure what slider/casement means... but my dad just made a wooden frame that fit in our windows to stick the air condtioners into. A bit cumbersome, but it works.[/QUOTE]

It basically means the window slides left and right instead of up and down.

Wow, you made the right thread pal. I too was puzzled with my predicament with air conditioning and a cheap electric bill. So, I youtubed, D.I.Y Homemade air-conditioner and I came across this amazing video.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2s_1A8Sc20

I made one, and it does work, but......you might want to try getting more copper tubing because it helps the cooling process much faster. Or, trying getting a great fan.

Do you put ice in the cooler?

[quote name='ian1418']I live in an older apartment with slider windows like you describe and I just had to install 3 window units as a temporary fix until my central ac can be repaired. If you check at Sears they have a 5000 BTU kenmore ac for $99.99 that will fit into those type windows. They work quite well so far in the most challenging climate imaginable- southern Louisiana where we have gone for 13 days with 100% humidity, temperature over 100 every day, and no rain.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about this one? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...word=Lower+Prices+On+Kenmore+Air+Conditioners Because that doesn't look like it will fit into that type of window.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Do you put ice in the cooler?
[/QUOTE]

Well, initially just normal tap water can work. Though, it make the process speed up, so I'd recommend using ice, and then pour some water onto the cooler as well. You're killing two birds with one stone, water making the ice melt, plus already putting down water for the process to begin.

destructor. how much did it end up costing? my computer room is upstairs, and even thoguh we have central heating/ac the room doesnt cool down fast or as well as it does downstairs, this could be a good alternative to cranking up the AC while i play team fortress.

Chibijosh, that is the one. How wide are your windows? Mine are 22" and this one fit easily. If you have smaller windows, i believe they had even smaller units available.

[quote name='ian1418']Chibijosh, that is the one. How wide are your windows? Mine are 22" and this one fit easily. If you have smaller windows, i believe they had even smaller units available.[/QUOTE]

So, you put a horizontal air conditioner into vertical/slider opening windows? What did you do about the huge gap across the upper 2/3 of your window?

[quote name='Destructor']Well, initially just normal tap water can work. Though, it make the process speed up, so I'd recommend using ice, and then pour some water onto the cooler as well. You're killing two birds with one stone, water making the ice melt, plus already putting down water for the process to begin.[/QUOTE]

alternatively you can use water bottles that have been placed in the freezer so you can just reuse them.

i have funky windows, there's a crank that causes a window panel to open outward.. i use a portable AC with a hose and it does a decent job, but the attachment it came with didn't fit my funky window. it was pretty easy to remedy: cut a piece of plywood to fit the window frame, cut a hole in the center and attached the hose to it.

that DIY air conditioner is bunk for a couple different reasons - your fridge will generate more heat in creating the ice than the ice will absorb melting (not to mention the heat generated by the fan), and their explanation for using copper shows zero understand of physics..

but, anyway, the biggest piece of advice for keeping a cool apartment is to really conserve energy. turning off a 300 watt appliance like a PC, or conservatively using high-energy appliances (hot water heater, dryer, stove, etc) will make a huge difference in room temp. but that may not be enough if you live in an unusually hot area... i dunno what the weather's like in WV.

my windows are old wood frame windows that slide up and down with both upper and lower portions able to move. The only portion left open is a gap between the two sliding sections when the bottom is pushed up that is filled with some foam insulation supplied with the ac. I'm guessing that you believe his windows are ones that slide horizontally rather than vertically? I assumed his were ones like mine that slide vertically, but were older and smaller than modern windows. If he has ones that slide horizontally, it should be fairly simple to cut a piece of wood to fill the open space above the unit. Not the most elegant solution, but better than being hot.

[quote name='ian1418']my windows are old wood frame windows that slide up and down with both upper and lower portions able to move. The only portion left open is a gap between the two sliding sections when the bottom is pushed up that is filled with some foam insulation supplied with the ac. I'm guessing that you believe his windows are ones that slide horizontally rather than vertically? I assumed his were ones like mine that slide vertically, but were older and smaller than modern windows. If he has ones that slide horizontally, it should be fairly simple to cut a piece of wood to fill the open space above the unit. Not the most elegant solution, but better than being hot.[/QUOTE]

No. Slider/casement windows slide side to side (people refer to them as "vertical" due to the orientation of the frame in the middle..and thus, the AC unit you'd put in). They're obnoxious, and generally a horrible idea, haha. That's what the OP is talking about. Here's Kenmore's cheapest model...for a 6000 BTU.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04275063000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Air+Conditioners%2C+Fans+%26+Heaters&sName=Specialty&keyword=air+conditioner

I have the same kind of windows in my apartment, and suffer from the same problem. Trying to decide if the DIY video is a feasible option. The "swamp coolers" are worthless in humid environments, and the portable air conditioners seem like a hassle with having to ventilate (almost more of a hassle than the DIY model...not to mention probably about 10 times more expensive).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It basically means the window slides left and right instead of up and down.[/QUOTE]

That's it? Every house I've ever lived in has windows like that, along with most of my friends... I just thought that was standard.

Anyhow, yeah, all we did was make plywood frames with holes for the AC, so it fills up the whole window. It makes installation a bit harder, but not much.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']That's it? Every house I've ever lived in has windows like that, along with most of my friends... I just thought that was standard.

Anyhow, yeah, all we did was make plywood frames with holes for the AC, so it fills up the whole window. It makes installation a bit harder, but not much.[/QUOTE]

I'd be nervous about doing that on the first floor. Just a piece of plywood would make breaking in really easy.

I suppose it depends on your living situation- there's nearly always someone in my house, and it's a pretty good neighborhood (right by a church/Christan school, even).

I know my BF would never try it, that's for sure- not as nice an area.

[quote name='Destructor']Wow, you made the right thread pal. I too was puzzled with my predicament with air conditioning and a cheap electric bill. So, I youtubed, D.I.Y Homemade air-conditioner and I came across this amazing video.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2s_1A8Sc20

I made one, and it does work, but......you might want to try getting more copper tubing because it helps the cooling process much faster. Or, trying getting a great fan.[/QUOTE]

While I was taking the AC part of my automotive degree. I learned that the first AC coolant used was ammonia. I was thinking why dont you replace the water with ammonia. I would suggest using car windshield solvent. You know the large blue gallon ones you get from the automotive part stores.

This type of ammonia is cooler at room temperature than water. And it wont smell bad either.

I just installed a portable AC unit in my room today since my room doesn't get central heat and air and it's usually like 85 in my room. You have to empty the cool every once in a while, but it takes like two seconds. This thing gets pretty cold, even with my door open to the rest of the house it cools my room down a lot.

I went to some place called Elliot's, but I don't think its like a chain of stores like it, but 1/4 x 10 Copper Tubing cost about 10.99. I bought 3x just in case I wanted to add more homemade ones. Anyways, then you could buy a box fan for about 19.99 or more than that or even lower. Then you would need to get an aquarium pump that's able to fit 1/4 inch of vinyl tubing; I got my pump for about 19.99, you can probably find a much cheaper one, but I'd advise you to take a sample tubing and see if you can fit it on there first. Now, you need x2 1/4 Vinyl tubing, it ranges from 5 to 10 bucks for 1/4 x 50 ft. roll. Zippers cost about $4.00. Then water coolers cost about 5.99 and up.

Total Cost: $67.00

Box Fan- 19.99
Water Pump-19.99
Vinyl Tubing-5.99
Copper Tubing-10.99
Water Cooler-5.99
Zippers-3.99

My Cost: $69.00, the reason its that much is because I bought x3 Copper Tubing, but I didn't need to buy box fans because I already have 3 box fans and a water cooler.

[quote name='Destructor']I went to some place called Elliot's, but I don't think its like a chain of stores like it, but 1/4 x 10 Copper Tubing cost about 10.99. I bought 3x just in case I wanted to add more homemade ones. Anyways, then you could buy a box fan for about 19.99 or more than that or even lower. Then you would need to get an aquarium pump that's able to fit 1/4 inch of vinyl tubing; I got my pump for about 19.99, you can probably find a much cheaper one, but I'd advise you to take a sample tubing and see if you can fit it on there first. Now, you need x2 1/4 Vinyl tubing, it ranges from 5 to 10 bucks for 1/4 x 50 ft. roll. Zippers cost about $4.00. Then water coolers cost about 5.99 and up.

Total Cost: $67.00

Box Fan- 19.99
Water Pump-19.99
Vinyl Tubing-5.99
Copper Tubing-10.99
Water Cooler-5.99
Zippers-3.99

My Cost: $69.00, the reason its that much is because I bought x3 Copper Tubing, but I didn't need to buy box fans because I already have 3 box fans and a water cooler.[/QUOTE]

I think WM sells a cheap 5000 BTU AC for 89.99...

seems like alot of work to me.

What surprises me is that if this does work (science and all) then why haven't someone produced an AC Fan? Surely someone would make a manufactured one with a radiator and produce one of quality.

[quote name='xycury']I think WM sells a cheap 5000 BTU AC for 89.99...

seems like alot of work to me.

What surprises me is that if this does work (science and all) then why haven't someone produced an AC Fan? Surely someone would make a manufactured one with a radiator and produce one of quality.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly what you were talking about, but pretty close.

http://www.kooleraire.com/

The science is sound. This concept is used in chemical plants to heat or cool things. How well it works depends mostly on the temperature difference between the water and air, and the flow rates.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just leaving ammonia in an open container like that wouldn't work. It would evaporate much quicker than water would.[/QUOTE]

What if you put the ammonia and pump in a bag and zip tie it shut or even just ducttape the lid on?

bread's done
Back