Akira Kurosawa's Ran Blu-Ray $13.99 @ Amazon

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
512rZdicytL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Ran-Blu-ray/dp/product/B002ZG4Q5W

Akira Kurosawa's epic retelling of King Lear is finally available for a cheap price. Some people can't get over it not being a Criterion release, but if you actually like the movie, it's the best you're going to do.

Hi-Def Digest review
Blu-Ray.com review

[youtube]AbbfDntoRRk[/youtube]
Fan trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a Criterion release?!??!?!

jk

Actually someone already mentioned it in the weekly BB thread. And I purchased.

M

wow great price. I already own like 2 or 3 versions of the movie so I'm not sure if I should bite on this. It's too bad Criterion lost the rights to this.

[quote name='ryosnk']Does the criterion version have better special features?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='High Def Digest']
The majority of the extras found in the Criterion release of 'Ran' did not find their way on to this release (see more about these exclusions after the high-def exclusives section). The main one did, though, and it's a damn good one.[/quote]Shame that this never got released on Criterion. I would have definitely double-dipped for it then.

Shows how out of touch I am when I didn't know that Criterion did a release of Ran. The last DVD version I knew was the Fox Lorber version.

In general, Criterion doesn't lend their special features with anyone, so the only way to get those features, usually, is to get the Criterion version. I think there have been exceptions to that, but they are very few. (I think Kevin Smith was able to get the extras for Chasing Amy for Miramax's DVD release.)

bread's done
Back