Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

[quote name='timesplitt']ending talk
so alan killed himself for his girl and yet she seems alone and yet the darkness still seems to be out there!! way to go alan
[/QUOTE]

Woah... woah... woah... Lois, this is not my batman cup :
I don't think Alan killed himself... maybe he exchanged his place in the darkness with his girl (keeping balance), switched Jagger with the FBI guy, Rose had the lantern (right?) for potential lamp-lady duty or the cop may play this role... I think he is still potentially writing stories and trying to figure out how to destroy the darkness but it is a much bigger (ocean not lake) problem than he initially thought. Dude did alright.

damn! i just beat the game and heres what i got from it,
i think we're just begining to see how he's writing the ending, up until this point the story was not finished so he re writing it, made sure alice didnt die and the whole town of bright falls was ok. was that him standing behind rose? kind of like hes the new darkness leader. see to me the DLC seems to make total sense now, we'll be playing as someone else maybe even alice? while we play what alan will be writing. i need to watch it a few more times but thats my take. and by the way best ending song ever!!!! i was like aww yeahhhh :applause:

my overall stats werent so bad either i only missed 1 radio and tv show, found 71 thermoses, 82 manuscript pages, 8 can pyramids, 23 chests.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sublime90']damn! i just beat the game and heres what i got from it,
i think we're just begining to see how he's writing the ending, up until this point the story was not finished so he re writing it, made sure alice didnt die and the whole town of bright falls was ok. was that him standing behind rose? kind of like hes the new darkness leader. see to me the DLC seems to make total sense now, we'll be playing as someone else maybe even alice? while we play what alan will be writing. i need to watch it a few more times but thats my take. and by the way best ending song ever!!!! i was like aww yeahhhh :applause:

my overall stats werent so bad either i only missed 1 radio and tv show, found 71 thermoses, 82 manuscript pages, 8 can pyramids, 23 chests.[/QUOTE]

It's Nightingale standing behind Rose as the new embodiment of the Dark Presence.

Just started it today and got through Episode 2.. Definitely digging it. I think the episode structure is really cool and done really well.

I had to stop playing after a while because, I'll admit it, this game is scaring the crap out of me. :D

Just finished Episode 3.

Damn, there was this one part on Episode 2 where
I just left Barry and went to all the cabins, and in the first one I was looking around and I saw a Taken walking outside through the window, so I ran 3 laps around the cabin but couldn't find him.

[quote name='menikmati']Just finished Episode 3.

I just left Barry and went to all the cabins, and in the first one I was looking around and I saw a Taken walking outside through the window, so I ran 3 laps around the cabin but couldn't find him.
[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too. Messed me up.

[quote name='menikmati']Just finished Episode 3.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, hell yeah. That part was awesome... I wish they kept up with that a little more through the rest of the game.

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']Im at the beginning of Chapter 4. Getting better now that I've got the hang out things. But sheesh, Chapter 3 was sooo long.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that one really dragged on.

[quote name='faceturd']Woah... woah... woah... Lois, this is not my batman cup :
I don't think Alan killed himself... maybe he exchanged his place in the darkness with his girl (keeping balance), switched Jagger with the FBI guy, Rose had the lantern (right?) for potential lamp-lady duty or the cop may play this role... I think he is still potentially writing stories and trying to figure out how to destroy the darkness but it is a much bigger (ocean not lake) problem than he initially thought. Dude did alright.
[/QUOTE] i guess,
sucks for both alan/alice

kind of hard to picture a guy underwater staying alive

I am still in Chapter 1, but I am liking the atmosphere a ton. They really nailed it. The gameplay isn't as bad as I thought it would be when I was watching some trailers a year or so ago either. The controls so far have been very responsive and the flashlight has brought a cool dynamic to the game, rather than being some annoying gimmick.

Beat Episode 2 earlier, this game is fantastic. I thought it looked good enough to own, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. And man, this game has some scary shit in it, I haven't been this freaked out since I played RE2.
The part with the guy outside the cabin in Episode 2 that meni mentioned freaked me out and when the taken came out of the bathroom stall made me jump really good.

I officially take back what I said about the game. Just beat Episode 5 and I'm really impressed. I have to go hang with my family for Memorial Day but anyone know around how long Episode 6 is?

If I can remember correctly I would say between 1.5-2 hours. Lots of story so make sure you can get through it all in one sitting.

Yeah, I'd say maybe an hour and 45 or so for Chapter 6.

I hate myself for being an achievement whore. I made sure to get the Gunless Wonder achievement and it really lessened my enjoyment of the first part from the last chapter :lol:

Just finished it up. Obviously the story they're going to tell is far from over, but we already knew that. I liked the ending a lot, though I'm as confused as everyone.

I also interpreted the "it's an ocean" line as meaning that the source of the darkness is far bigger than he thought and that destroying it is going to take much more effort.

Just beat it earlier tonight. I'm glad Cheapy and Shipwreck raved about it in the podcast a few weeks ago otherwise I probably would have passed it up since I never really had an interest in it. The gameplay was fun, the story was well told and there were a few funny moments as well. Looking forward to the first DLC episode.

If you start a new game after beating it, do all your stats carry over (kills, items collected, etc)?

Oh man, what is wrong me. I caved and bought the limited edition. It's sitting right next to my regular copy at the moment :lol:

[quote name='Fjordson']Oh man, what is wrong me. I caved and bought the limited edition. It's sitting right next to my regular copy at the moment :lol:[/QUOTE]

I fear the same thing may happen to me... then I could loan my regular copy out to friends. This game is one of those evangelistic games.

i finished it yesterday, i thought it was great. still debating if i will finish it through nightmare.

the CE is pretty sweet. i need to free up some Hard drive space so i can download the commentary, really interested to hear that. the sound track is awesome but lacking (none of the licensed songs from the game are on the disc) and i just started reading the book "the alan wake files" and it fills in a ton of back story and mentions a lot of places from the game. im also curious if stats carry over when you start a new game on nightmare. if not, no big deal i'll just replay some chapters where i was missing a manuscript page.

[quote name='Hoffer']I don't like being freaked out by movies or games either. By like halfway thru the game, the "spooky" parts of the game didn't freak me out anymore. I just got used to it and I played it like any other game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Maybe if they used some more enemy types, but after Episode 1 nothing even came close to being a scare or creepy for me. Nothing really scary about shadow man with an axe for the 30th time, or giant flying barrel, especially since Alan is a crackshot with multiple guns who can carry tons of ammo. That tweed jacket must have a lot of pockets.

Maybe if there wasn't as much ammo / batteries it would have been a bit scarier, but I did my first playthrough on hard and was stocked on ammo and batteries the entire game.

[quote name='animalspinners']Agreed.

Maybe if they used some more enemy types, but after Episode 1 nothing even came close to being a scare or creepy for me. Nothing really scary about shadow man with an axe for the 30th time, or giant flying barrel, especially since Alan is a crackshot with multiple guns who can carry tons of ammo. That tweed jacket must have a lot of pockets.

Maybe if there wasn't as much ammo / batteries it would have been a bit scarier, but I did my first playthrough on hard and was stocked on ammo and batteries the entire game.[/QUOTE]

I was the same way. I mostly just used the handgun. I was always trying to save the shotgun or flare gun and flashbangs for bigger enemies that might come. They really didn't so I always had tons of extra stuff for the harder parts. That being said, this is my Game of The Year, though I haven't played Mario Galaxy 2 yet.

yeah i played through on hard and most chapters you are normally stacked with ammo/gear.

every once in awhile though you are pretty low, but it still isn't very hard to dodge/run.

and just for the record Yes all your stats carry over on a new game, just dont save in the same spot you saved last time or it over writes. i saved the game from my normal playthrough on my hard drive and the nightmare game is on the internal memory.

just finished episode 1 on nightmare and still missed 1 manuscript page. but i ended up finding 3 more thermoses and got the flare gun achievement. the AI is a lot more vicious and swarm you like crazy. takes more flashlight power and way more bullets to drop a taken. it took 1 flare shot and 8 shotgun blasts to kill stucky. it feels more even though with ammo, makes you really need to find the secret ammo crates. on my normal play through i mainly stuck to my pistol, so far on nightmare i bust out the heavy stuff right away.

im also finding nice little things i didnt notice or even understand before on my first playthrough. like in the diner with the 2 old guys talking about the good old days of rock and roll, later in the game you understand there actually serious and not just talking. and in the cabin i didnt even notice the shoebox with tom zanes books in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
i beat it on normal and if you play on nigthmare you get more manul script pages that tell more about the book wake worte which is worth another play thorugh to me. i also heard that you still get lots of ammo in nightmare but will use most of it cause the taken are harder to kill.
also i think the soundtrack is amazing one of the best i have heard in a game in long time. the poets of the fall have 3 songs in the game and are one of the best bands you can ever listen to.

in case your interested the 3 songs are: poets of the fall: war, poets of the fall as the old gods as asgard: children of the elder god and the poet of the muse.

just another video game with a hokey story that makes no sense whatsoever..good gameplay though. It was fun.

[quote name='gsr']just another video game with a hokey story that makes no sense whatsoever..good gameplay though. It was fun.[/QUOTE]

Alot of it does if you take the time to think and take in what is said. But ill give you that some of it is really fucking confusing.

Each DLC better have a night springs episode :cool:

[quote name='sublime90'] im also curious if stats carry over when you start a new game on nightmare. [/QUOTE]

YES, all stats do carry over! :)

It's a supernatural game. I don't see any of it doesn't make sense. If you want to say the story is over-the-top or hard to buy, I'll give you that. But it made perfect sense to me. Yeah, there are unresolved plot points, but that's obviously because they want to put out DLC and hopefully make more games.

[quote name='sublime90']and just for the record Yes all your stats carry over on a new game, just dont save in the same spot you saved last time or it over writes. i saved the game from my normal playthrough on my hard drive and the nightmare game is on the internal memory.

just finished episode 1 on nightmare and still missed 1 manuscript page. but i ended up finding 3 more thermoses and got the flare gun achievement. the AI is a lot more vicious and swarm you like crazy. takes more flashlight power and way more bullets to drop a taken. it took 1 flare shot and 8 shotgun blasts to kill stucky. it feels more even though with ammo, makes you really need to find the secret ammo crates. on my normal play through i mainly stuck to my pistol, so far on nightmare i bust out the heavy stuff right away.

im also finding nice little things i didnt notice or even understand before on my first playthrough. like in the diner with the 2 old guys talking about the good old days of rock and roll, later in the game you understand there actually serious and not just talking. and in the cabin i didnt even notice the shoebox with tom zanes books in them.[/QUOTE]

Makes me wish Nightmare was unlocked from the get go... I usually play on the hardest difficulty setting the first time through and absolutely hate when games lock the harder setting for a second playthrough to force replayability. There are generally too many games out for me to warrant a second playthrough of any game, sadly enough.

I think if my first playthrough was on Nightmare I would have had a completely different opinion of the game since it sounds like exactly what I was hoping this game would be. My favorite part was Chapter 6, I went for the Gunless Wonder achievement my first time through and it was probably my favorite and most memorable part since it took a lot of creativity to not shot the gun.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's a supernatural game. I don't see any of it doesn't make sense. If you want to say the story is over-the-top or hard to buy, I'll give you that. But it made perfect sense to me. Yeah, there are unresolved plot points, but that's obviously because they want to put out DLC and hopefully make more games.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I love this game's narrative and universe.

Just started Episode 4 after a couple of days of not playing

The beginning of the hedge maze wasn't as bad as I thought. At first I was nervous as fuck for dogs or something to jump out.

[quote name='menikmati']Just started Episode 4 after a couple of days of not playing

The beginning of the hedge maze wasn't as bad as I thought. At first I was nervous as fuck for dogs or something to jump out.
[/QUOTE]

Same here!
When I heard "Go into the hedgemaze" I was like oh ffffffffffffff. But it wasn't so bad, just a few parts where things seemed a little too close quarters.

[quote name='tcrash247']Same here!
When I heard "Go into the hedgemaze" I was like oh ffffffffffffff. But it wasn't so bad, just a few parts where things seemed a little too close quarters.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought that part was going to be outrageous but it wasn't too bad. The best part though I enjoyed is the "concert" sequence you will love that.

- Jason

Just finished Episode 4 and starting Episode 5, hoping to finish this game on Sunday night.

They made a typo when referencing Bret Easton Ellis, oh noes.

just finished it...crazy shit. The ending was confusing to me as well but I'm sure they will wrap up all plot lines eventually...it was very well written.

Yeah, I'm going to start a new playthrough once I finish Red Dead Redemption (honestly, I wish I was playing AW instead. RDR is a disappointment).

[quote name='Enclave Soldier'](honestly, I wish I was playing AW instead. RDR is a disappointment).[/QUOTE]

you are the first person I have seen say something negative about RDR

[quote name='Malik112099']you are the first person I have seen say something negative about RDR[/QUOTE]

I didn't like it but Im not a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto type games.

[quote name='Malik112099']you are the first person I have seen say something negative about RDR[/QUOTE]

It's just like Grand Theft Auto 4. I'm sure everyone adored that game during the first weeks, but then we all know what happened (the game with the most backlash in history). The same will happen to RDR.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']It's just like Grand Theft Auto 4. I'm sure everyone adored that game during the first weeks, but then we all know what happened (the game with the most backlash in history). The same will happen to RDR.[/QUOTE]

I disliked GTA4 at first and still do. I loved RDR having played all the way through it.

Maybe it's just the difference in the setting or in the variety of what you can do, but I think RDR was a much better game.

Just finished it, amazing game. I did not think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. I'm kinda confused by the ending
I don't really get why the lake being an ocean would change anything, but hey, that's what DLC and sequels are for!
Now I need to go back some pages and read everyone's take on it. I know the year is only half over, but damn, this is definitely GOTY, so far.

I just beat it on Nightmare. It's important to note that I hardly ever play a game after beating it, let alone playing it all the way through. Playing on Nightmare made the game different. I played it much more defensively.

Now I have just a couple of achievements to go for a full 1000 points.

Plus, if you're into the story of the game, do yourself a favor and pick up the LE/CE. The bonuses are great, making this the best LE/CE that I've come across, and I'm a bit of a sucker for LE's.

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Remedy just released a new live teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=287757ZH4oU

what could it be?[/QUOTE]

Bright Falls season 2 maybe? Notice how Alan is guarding a woman, who we can assume is Alice. Interesting.
I wonder if that's Alan, or dopple-Alan from the end of the game? Remember Zane saying "your friends will need him while you're gone."?

Just beat the game, was a great ride throughout.

At first I thought Barry was annoying as fuck, but once he showed up in Episode 5 with the headlamp and wrapped in christmas lights, I started to like him. I also liked having Sarah and Barry be functional team mates, rather than dead weight when fighting Taken.

Might do another quick Normal run for the remaining collectibles.

Manuscript pages found: 77/106
Coffee thermoses found: 79/100
Can pyramids knocked over: 7/12
Chests found: 24/30
Radio shows found: 10/11
TV shows found: 13/14
Signs found: 18/25

fucking missed the radio and TV achievements by one, damnit.

bread's done
Back