Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA) - Available Now - 1200msp ($15)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be a stand alone xbox live arcade game. Alan Wake's American Nightmare is set in the south-west of America. It is expected to be more based on action then survival horror of the previous game.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare is expected to release in the Winter 2012 House party, starting on February 15th with a new game each week. No official date or price has been announced.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be releasing February 22nd for 1200msp ($15).

Released so far:

[customspoiler=Achievements]
(Property of Remedy and Microsoft, found on xbox360acheivements.org)

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Sort:
Escape!10
gp-g.png
Escape the Taken to the motel.
Rewrite10
gp-g.png
Rewrite reality for the first time.
Cool It20
gp-g.png
Make sure Dr. Meadows can take another look at the skies.
Happy Ending25
gp-g.png
Rewrite reality for the last time.
Glorious Dawn10
gp-g.png
Survive until dawn in any Arcade Mode level.
Poetry in Motion20
gp-g.png
Get a six-minute survivor streak and over 100,000 points in an Arcade level.
Enter the Nightmare10
gp-g.png
Unlock all of the Nightmare Arcade Mode levels.
Skill Beats Gun10
gp-g.png
Survive an Arcade level using nothing but the flashlight and handheld flares.
Survivor30
gp-g.png
Get 70,000 points in any Nightmare Arcade level.
Split Splat!15
gp-g.png
Take out two Splitter spawns with a single shot.
One Day I’ll Buy a Stapler20
gp-g.png
Find all of the manuscript pages. (9)
Pile 'Em High20
gp-g.png
Defeat 2,000 Taken.
[/customspoiler]

House Party 2012 Trailer .

VGA 2011 trailer.

Screenshot
wakegiteas530pxheaderim.jpg

Leaked title screen
gamnightsprings530.jpg

Announcement.

[customSPOILER=Original Post]
Alan Wake next game confirmed, full story is here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/10/new-alan-wake-confirmed-but-its-not-alan-wake-2/#continued

Original Rumor is here.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/09/alan-wake-2-appears-in-artists-resume-and-in-our-hearts/

So, the are not just going for "Alan Wake 2". What should they call it?[/customSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they should call it "Bright Falls" or something like that. I don't really care what they call it to be honest, though. I just want more Wake.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The first one did have terrible sales.[/QUOTE]

Actually no, it was a commercial success, selling over 1 million units and coming in at #2 on the UK charts.

Alan Wake: Nightmare
Alan Wake: Redemption
Alan Wake: Evolution
Alan Wake: WTF is going on??

Nope, none work. E3 will interesting.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Actually no, it was a commercial success, selling over 1 million units and coming in at #2 on the UK charts.

Alan Wake: Nightmare
Alan Wake: Redemption
Alan Wake: Evolution
Alan Wake: WTF is going on??

Nope, none work. E3 will interesting.[/QUOTE]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/remedy-defends-poor-alan-wake-sales

Even overall, world wide, it barely broke 1 million sales and barely 564k of that was in the US. That's not successful by any stretch.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/13817/alan-wake/

Very glad this is getting a sequel. Hopefully it wraps up the story as I doubt it will sell any better, so a 3rd one is very unlikely.

Good to see. This game really surprised me. When I saw the last E3 demo of it, I was not excited at all. But I really dug the atmosphere they created with this one and look forward to seeing more of that again.

Thank god. I honestly don't give a fuck what they call it. If even half as much effort that went in the first game translates to the sequel it will deserve a GOTY nomination at the very least. I still need to finish up the DLC.

I just pray it's not a crappy prequel.

You guys should read the article linked. Remedy have said it's not a sequel. They also said only a small portion of ther team have been working on it. So expect an iPhone game, PC Port or possibly a Kinect compatible version of the original game.

For me, more Alan Wake is great.

I really hope whatever they have up their sleeves sells well. Because if it doesn't, it might ruin any plans for a proper sequel.

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the article.

Well, that stinks. If it's not a sequel it will likely just be some useless iOS game, a video to wrap up the story or some other crap.

[quote name='Ashwood']You guys should read the article linked. Remedy have said it's not a sequel. They also said only a small portion of ther team have been working on it. So expect an iPhone game, PC Port or possibly a Kinect compatible version of the original game.

For me, more Alan Wake is great.

I really hope whatever they have up their sleeves sells well. Because if it doesn't, it might ruin any plans for a proper sequel.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a new game. Just because it isn't a direct sequel doesn't mean it wont be a full blown game. Such as something like Halo: Reach or Fallout: New Vegas.

Also, I will update the OP as information becomes available.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I think it is a new game. Just because it isn't a direct sequel doesn't mean it wont be a full blown game. Such as something like Halo: Reach or Fallout: New Vegas.

Also, I will update the OP as information becomes available.[/QUOTE]

But it would still suck if it's not a sequel as it can't resolve the story of the first game that's still in flux after the DLCs.

Remedy, please please please don't mess this up. Alan Wake is probably in my top 5 games on the 360. I beat it 5 times, beat each DLC 3 times, and have all of the achievements. I don't replay or go for achievements often, but the first one was just soooo awesome.

The article indicates that only a handful of the Remedy team is working on this new release, and that work only started in the last few months at that. The first game will be only a year and a half old come Fall 2011. And the article states that the upcoming release is not a sequel, nor is it more DLC.

Add it up and what do you get? The above information could mean we're either going to be seeing a port on the PC, or even a PS3 release with Remedy buying their way out of Microsoft's exclusivity. But I don't think its either of those options.

Could it be a handheld device game? Not sure if publisher Microsoft would go for that, either.

I think we're headed toward a "Game of the Year" release on the Xbox 360, featuring all the DLC and a few gameplay enhancements to boot. Why? Many reasons. Aside from the facts stated above, here are two:

• First, Microsoft's Holiday 2011 release slate is pretty slim. We know there'll be a Gears of War game. We've heard there'll be a Halo 1 remake. An Alan Wake re-release would allow for one more holiday exclusive. And the growing consensus is that Microsoft needs more exclusive games to grab consumer mind share this holiday season.

• Second, the game was well reviewed but sold below expectations. Crawling over the million units mark at $30 a pop was not the plan. Releasing the game again with some enhancements and a bigger marketing push (*cough* no competing Rockstar release *cough*) would get the game more exposure, and help justify an Alan Wake 2. Remember, the goal of the video game industry now isn't to make one really commercially-successful game. The goal is to create a new IP that can be milked for years - and several game releases - to come.

All in all, another reason to be excited for E3 in four weeks. Hope the Alan Wake news is something worth talking about....

Yes. You won't find a bigger Alan Wake fan than me and I am ecstatic that we'll get anything Wake related.

But, Did you guys read the specifics of the quote in the joystiq article? He referenced a new "Wake" title but it's not "Alan Wake 2". Read = Alice Wake. If it's not a title featuring Alice, then my bet is that it's a show of sorts, either live action or animated, exclusive to Xbox Live.

I'm totally up for another Alan Wake because the atmosphere and story were so cool -- but I hope they do something more with the game mechanics, because I ultimately ran past fights because I was so bored with the combat. Walk a few paces, fight enemies, find the light, rinse, repeat...it could be improved.

It suspect that it will be an XBL spin-off.

Hopefully it fills a few gaps and leads up to AW: Season 2 (I'm jumping on that bandwagon : p)

So excited to be getting more Alan Wake.

I'm wondering if it'll be separated into multiple downloadable episodes. I think that would be really cool.

Either way, I think XBLA is the best way to go for Remedy. They're a small studio, so this will keep some costs down. Also, wasn't the original games one of the most pirated games of 2010? I'm sure I heard that somewhere. Probably the main reason they're going digital.

I became such a Wake fanboy after the first game, so yes, very very excited.
Screw the GTA V trailer!

I don't care what this is, I"m buying it. AW is one of my favorite games of all time and I'll scoop anything that adds to the universe.

Just so glad that the first game's awful sales did not stop at least some more AW content from coming out. One of my favorite games of the last five years. Such a freaking shame that more people didn't play this. I guess if you don't have some nutbag driving a hummer and cursing, people don't wanna play your game. Now, excuse me...gotta get back to Battlefield 3...

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think with the "evil twin" mechanism. On one hand, it feels like a retread of the DLC. On the other hand, it's not like we really got to any depth with the character "Mr. Scratch". Old Zane still has some 'splainin' to do particularly when it comes to Mr. Scratch.

Definitely day one purchase as I'm an Alan Wake uber-fan. I didn't get to watch the VGA's yet, but did they mention timing of the release? Also, any word if it will be episodic?

bread's done
Back