Alice Madness Returns Complete Collection (PC) for 39.99 at EAStore

Very interesting & thanks for posting this news. Weird if it's true that only EA's direct sales of AMA includes the first game; since both the PS3 & 360 games (new) include it...no matter where you get it.

What I would like to know is if the pc version of the original Alice in this deal is actually remastered or will they go the cheap route and just include the original Quake 3 engined game. I haven't seen any pics or videos of the remastered game for pc or console. Good deal if the game turns out to be good.

[quote name='raystorm']What I would like to know is if the pc version of the original Alice in this deal is actually remastered or will they go the cheap route and just include the original Quake 3 engined game. I haven't seen any pics or videos of the remastered game for pc or console. Good deal if the game turns out to be good.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the quality of the 360/PS3 port of the first game, does anyone have any details on that?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Great price TC!

Unfortunately this game may not be as great as expected. I was lurking around Gamefaqs and found someone had posted a screenshot of a review taken from Playstation Magazine. It's clear enough to where you can read the whole review.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/136/016un.jpg

I think I may hold off until the Steam holiday sale or something.[/QUOTE]

Well, definitely looks legit, thanks for the info. I was gonna hold off 'till K-mart post-release sale anyways. Not like anyone's offering a decent pre-order bonus.

Still curious about the quality of that 360/PS3 port of the original, if anyone has any idea.

Edit: I've been trying to factor the original game being included into the price I'd be willing to pay like I did with Chronicles of Riddick 2, but I also kinda blanked on the fact that the main game could totally suck. I just remember hearing great things about the first game and thinking they couldn't possibly fuck it up (Chr. of Rid. 2 was certainly on the same level as the original). At least that post-release sale'll happen well after the reviews come in, not sure if that confirmed sale and the semi-lower pre-order prices are a sign of faith or not (that Amazon "soundtrack" certainly doesn't seem like faith).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info on the PC version and cheaper than I have seen it for PC. Heck, I didn't even think about the reviews on this game. I just really wanted the first for my PS3. I figure it would be fun no matter what. I am waiting on the kmart sale as well.

Heard about that 5/10. I...I don't know, I just don't see it. I've seen too many demos to not like the gameplay, even if I haven't felt it in my hands which is of course a large piece of the puzzle. The art is fantastic. I can see it mistepping but that just seems like intentionally jumping headfirst off a cliff. It could be an outlier review or it could be right in the thick of a consensus, can't tell until we get more and some others get hands on with it themselves. I'm only disappointed as to that anyone could rightly give it a 5/10 in a published magazine. Even if they turn out to not be the majority, it sucks to see.

Until I had to reformat(unfortunately) losing my save, I was going through the first again. I hope to actually try to before this one comes out, again(...), but I mean I was/am annoyed with the gameplay in it. The jumping isn't precise, the weapons feel ok at best, but I still really enjoy the game. Maybe that's the mindset you need to be in this one, to a lesser extent comparing to the old one, or maybe exactly the same when comparing to current gaming.

I do not look forward to the arguments of either reviewers/review scores(paid off, biased, stupid, ignorant, know nothing etc while people who think such then turn around and ask for opinions anyway) or of the "well if the gameplay sucks in a game obviously it's worth shit" argument.

[quote name='Vortextk']Heard about that 5/10. I...I don't know, I just don't see it. I've seen too many demos to not like the gameplay, even if I haven't felt it in my hands which is of course a large piece of the puzzle. The art is fantastic. I can see it mistepping but that just seems like intentionally jumping headfirst off a cliff. It could be an outlier review or it could be right in the thick of a consensus, can't tell until we get more and some others get hands on with it themselves. I'm only disappointed as to that anyone could rightly give it a 5/10 in a published magazine. Even if they turn out to not be the majority, it sucks to see.

Until I had to reformat(unfortunately) losing my save, I was going through the first again. I hope to actually try to before this one comes out, again(...), but I mean I was/am annoyed with the gameplay in it. The jumping isn't precise, the weapons feel ok at best, but I still really enjoy the game. Maybe that's the mindset you need to be in this one, to a lesser extent comparing to the old one, or maybe exactly the same when comparing to current gaming.

I do not look forward to the arguments of either reviewers/review scores(paid off, biased, stupid, ignorant, know nothing etc while people who think such then turn around and ask for opinions anyway) or of the "well if the gameplay sucks in a game obviously it's worth shit" argument.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Being a huge fan of the original I really would like to play it...and this price is great. But I'll at least play the demo...which I know are coming for the consoles. BTW, does anyone know if the PC will also have a demo?

In any case...I'll at least wait for more reviews (both pro and customer reviews), try the demo, and judge for myself if it's worth it for me to wait or not. Then again, with a lot of blockbuster titles hitting this holiday season, I do see this (and many other games) dropping in price fast with great deals to be had around November.

[quote name='Vortextk']Demo's coming before or after release?[/QUOTE]

Don't know for sure. There were some rumors on McGee's official site forum as June 6th for a possible release, but nothing was confirmed with any source. So I don't expect a demo on that date. I know there will be one...but whether it's released before or after I can't say.

I guess I could have summed it up by simply saying, "I don't know." ;)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Don't know for sure. There were some rumors on McGee's official site forum as June 6th for a possible release, but nothing was confirmed with any source. So I don't expect a demo on that date. I know there will be one...but whether it's released before or after I can't say.

I guess I could have summed it up by simply saying, "I don't know." ;)[/QUOTE]

But just saying "I don't know" makes you look like a tool/makes you look like a post whore (trust me).

No official demo release date, I just scoured the net for it, BUT! I did find this out:

On April 20, 2011, Electronic Arts confirmed reports that new copies of Alice: Madness Returns on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 will contain a one-time-use download code for a copy of the original American McGee's Alice, originally released on PC in 2000, playable on their console. Those who do not have the code can purchase the game through Madness Returns' main menu for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live or $9.99 on PlayStation Network. The Alice: Madness Returns game disc will be required in order to access American McGee's Alice

Well, fuck you EA. Couldn't just be nice and let everyone enjoy the first game, ey? That doesn't bode well for how much faith they have in the sequel (same with this unconfirmed demo release date). Release date of the demo (whether it's before or after release) will also determine how well they expect this to do, I guess.

That review doesn't really tell you much about the game other than the author didn't like the minigames (but not why he/they doesn't/don't like them). It's also written with the royal 'we,' which you learn not to do in college. I wouldn't let it influence your buying decision too much.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']But just saying "I don't know" makes you look like a tool/makes you look like a post whore (trust me).

No official demo release date, I just scoured the net for it, BUT! I did find this out:

On April 20, 2011, Electronic Arts confirmed reports that new copies of Alice: Madness Returns on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 will contain a one-time-use download code for a copy of the original American McGee's Alice, originally released on PC in 2000, playable on their console. Those who do not have the code can purchase the game through Madness Returns' main menu for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live or $9.99 on PlayStation Network. The Alice: Madness Returns game disc will be required in order to access American McGee's Alice

Well, fuck you EA. Couldn't just be nice and let everyone enjoy the first game, ey? That doesn't bode well for how much faith they have in the sequel (same with this unconfirmed demo release date). Release date of the demo (whether it's before or after release) will also determine how well they expect this to do, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Now that I didn't know, about needing AMR disc to be able to play the original. That sounds like a really cheesy marketing tactic.

[quote name='eastx']That review doesn't really tell you much about the game other than the author didn't like the minigames (but not why he/they doesn't/don't like them). It's also written with the royal 'we,' which you learn not to do in college. I wouldn't let it influence your buying decision too much.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, it seems that the reviewer simply found the game to be really repetitive...then again, all games have their repetitive qualities in some form or another. But he did mention that the controls for the pepper grinder wasn't good...pertaining to the manual aiming system.

But that is something I need to find out myself...hence I'll wait for the demo to release. I know I will buy the game ultimately, but since I will most likely buy on PC, I assume these control issues won't be much of a problem (aiming) with a mouse anyways...unless the sensitivity parameters are way off and there's no way to change them either in options or .ini file...which would be pretty shocking if this was the case.

And yes, Pluralis Majestatis in effect...

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Now that I didn't know, about needing AMR disc to be able to play the original. That sounds like a really cheesy marketing tactic.[/QUOTE]

'Tis what I thought, glad to be of service. This is really going to bug me, I bet, especially if I ended up with a used copy of Alice: MR and have to buy the original on XBLM.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']'Tis what I thought, glad to be of service. This is really going to bug me, I bet, especially if I ended up with a used copy of Alice: MR and have to buy the original on XBLM.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the fact that if a customer, for whatever reason chooses to ever trade-in/sell AMR after completing it...they, in turn, lose functionality of the original game. Not cool. Here's hoping they revert that decision and make the original a stand-alone product somewhere down the line.

[quote name='eastx']That review doesn't really tell you much about the game other than the author didn't like the minigames (but not why he/they doesn't/don't like them). It's also written with the royal 'we,' which you learn not to do in college. I wouldn't let it influence your buying decision too much.[/QUOTE]

Totally in agreement, but I didn't want to nitpick the review here. I didn't read about clipping, broken jumps, boring combat, buggy monsters, unfair bosses. From my quick skim I can't even remember anything specific(and negative) other than something about bad or too much platforming and just an overall dislike of the game.

Oh yes the pepper grinder thing. Well, as for enemies there is classic zelda "z-targetting" for lock on, so it won't be a ton of manually aiming I assume.

For the original, yes this is project $10. Think of it as the multi-player pass instead of an entirely new game and you'll kind of see why the original disc being needed makes sense, atleast when speaking of conformity. Hopefully they'll come to their senses and release it singly down the line.

[quote name='Vortextk']Totally in agreement, but I didn't want to nitpick the review here. I didn't read about clipping, broken jumps, boring combat, buggy monsters, unfair bosses. From my quick skim I can't even remember anything specific(and negative) other than something about bad or too much platforming and just an overall dislike of the game.

Oh yes the pepper grinder thing. Well, as for enemies there is classic zelda "z-targetting" for lock on, so it won't be a ton of manually aiming I assume.

For the original, yes this is project $10. Think of it as the multi-player pass instead of an entirely new game and you'll kind of see why the original disc being needed makes sense, atleast when speaking of conformity. Hopefully they'll come to their senses and release it singly down the line.[/QUOTE]

I guess since Alice: MR won't have multiplayer (I don't think), this is how they'll combat used sales? They always come up with SOMETHING. -_- Jeez, you're 100% right about that.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Yes, and the fact that if a customer, for whatever reason chooses to ever trade-in/sell AMR after completing it...they, in turn, lose functionality of the original game. Not cool. Here's hoping they revert that decision and make the original a stand-alone product somewhere down the line.[/QUOTE]

Yep but we are talking about EA, the masters of DRM. They won't change it.

Holy crap, not only is that "review" not even a review in the slightest, but it spoils many scenarios, including the ending? I'm really upset that I read that, and I advise anyone else to not even give that amateur writing any attention if you haven't already.

[quote name='Kitoro']Holy crap, not only is that "review" not even a review in the slightest, but it spoils many scenarios, including the ending? I'm really upset that I read that, and I advise anyone else to not even give that amateur writing any attention if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

Is PSM usually that atrocious with their reviews? I never really read anything good about their magazine/reviews.

Edit: Might have to do with the fact that I'm not a PS3 owner, but I've never read/heard much about the Official Xbox Magazine either.

Yeah, there's a lot of fair criticism of certain review outlets, but there's a lot of fanboy-hate (See: CALL OF DUTY BLOPS WAS THE GAME OF THE YEAR!) as well. Just gotta learn to find the balance between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why I didn't want to nitpick the review lol. I doubt they're this "bad" in general, maybe it's just that specific reviewer. For a bigger game, atleast right now when there isn't a ton coming out and we're waiting for E3, I would have imagined a longer review too.

If you read on the internet then there is no way you read anything good about gamespot, gametrailers, oxm, psm, gameinformer, ign, eurogamer and on and on when it comes to review scores. Just a bunch of raging people that think a game is scoring too high/low constantly writing about these sites. They all do relatively well and around the same, if you look at averages.

bread's done
Back