Alien Anthology Blu-Ray 29.99 @ Amazon

Okay, I finally got it today. I must say, this is an extremely nice set, especially for the price. If anyone is on the fence about getting this, I suggest hopping on the deal before it's gone, because this set is really nice.

Great price. Love the packaging for the US set and never regretted picking it up for $40 or so over the cheaper UK set since movies are the one thing I collect to some degree (and thus care somewhat about cool packaging). Unlike games that I just sell after beating and thus couldn't care less about packaging.

Did a trade in of some games at BB today and had them price match this for me from Wal Mart. My GF actually liked Prometheus so hopefully I can get her into the Alien series now.

[quote name='RyanH1229']:D I just got my set from amazon and this maybe my favorite blu ray set it's so sexy :bouncy: Worth every penny.[/QUOTE]

Between the alien quadrilogy set and the anthology set I think I've watched those alien documentaries through completely 5 times. Dan O'Bannon was particularly entertaining. God knows what angry comments they aren't showing.

Funny to see a thread about this set as I just bought it myself, but I got it from Frys for $27.99, which could potentially qualify for a PM deal for BB.

On a semi-related note, anyone else think James Cameron should direct the Prometheus sequel?

[quote name='DtotheP']Funny to see a thread about this set as I just bought it myself, but I got it from Frys for $27.99, which could potentially qualify for a PM deal for BB.

On a semi-related note, anyone else think James Cameron should direct the Prometheus sequel?[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit torn on that. On one hand, James Cameron movies are top notch. On the other, I'd like to see where Ridley Scott wants to take the franchise. Either way, I just hope they clear things up a bit in the sequel.

[quote name='DtotheP']Funny to see a thread about this set as I just bought it myself, but I got it from Frys for $27.99, which could potentially qualify for a PM deal for BB.

On a semi-related note, anyone else think James Cameron should direct the Prometheus sequel?[/QUOTE]
Nice thought, but he already stated that he is not directing any movies other then Avatar sequels and documentaries.

I bought this set back when it was on sale for $70. (and normally went for $100) I feel a slight bit of regret, as this set has been put on sale for excellent prices several times since then. At the same time, when I bought it this was the only way to get the Alien films on Blu-Ray. And I cannot stress this enough, THESE MOVIES LOOK REALLY GOOD on Blu-Ray. I mean like, really fantastically awesome. The first two films in particular benefited enormously from the re-mastering process.

Their very limited CGI elements also make for a much smoother transition to high-definition. The CGI-animated Aliens that show up in Alien 3 and Aliens Resurrection have not aged as well. I hadn't realized that there was a trivia special feature on these Blu-Rays. I love that sort of thing, I'll have to give it a try tonight.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Disc-Set/dp/B006MGB31Q/

On sale at amazon.co.uk for 9.97 pounds, 11.39 GBP shipped to US (~$18.49 US), under 20 bucks for the import not bad. Pretty sure it's region free, it is blu ray.[/QUOTE]

That's not the same set. That's the Quadrilogy set which lacks the extra 2 discs with 70+ hours of bonus content. It is region free, but you're better off waiting for this set to drop down, or spend the extra $10 and get it at amazon..com

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Antho...c_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1347919611&sr=1-1-spell

A friend of mine directed me towards the pictures for the dummies used in the Hicks and Newt autopsy scenes. Nightmarish marterial, I actually got queasy looking at them. Thank god someone had the common sense to cut that footage down from the test screening.

Ranking time!

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Prometheus (a disappointment but lovely directing/cinematography)
4. Alien Resurrection
5. Alien 3

While my urge to dispute the above poster's list is great....I will avoid doing so, and simply to say for $30 this is one of the best sets anyone can buy. Anywhere. Ever.

Do it.

[quote name='GBAstar']On Amazon someone said that the tranfers for the first two movies are the best he's ever seen[/QUOTE]

i got this set and when i watched the first 2 movies, it seemed kind of fuzzy. is that how old movies transfer on blu ray? if i watch the original on vhs it would be way worse and i should be content with the fuzziness on blu ray?

btw, i saw bestbuy put up a promotional cardboard display for promethius coming out and a lot of alien movies are on sale including this for $29.99 in store and avp movies.

You can't really make any conclusions of transfers based on just the age of the movie. For instance, movies like The Ten Commandments, and Ben Hur, and The Wizard of Oz are among the greatest looking Blu-rays available.

Many factors determine the quality of the transfer including the types of camera and film stock used, the degree of damage to the original film masters, the compression and encoding of it, and whether any restoration or tampering has been done.

[quote name='frpilot']i got this set and when i watched the first 2 movies, it seemed kind of fuzzy. is that how old movies transfer on blu ray? if i watch the original on vhs it would be way worse and i should be content with the fuzziness on blu ray?

btw, i saw bestbuy put up a promotional cardboard display for promethius coming out and a lot of alien movies are on sale including this for $29.99 in store and avp movies.[/QUOTE]
The movies were crisp and clean for me, no fuzziness.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']While my urge to dispute the above poster's list is great....I will avoid doing so, and simply to say for $30 this is one of the best sets anyone can buy. Anywhere. Ever.

Do it.[/QUOTE]
Heh, fair enough.

By the way, Best Buy just price-matched amazon. The 6-disc anthology (SKU: 1253546) is now $29.99 there too. In-store pickup has been blocked from the site but it is free shipping to home. I just got back from best buy where I bought it in store. The price rang up automatically, no override needed.

Price matched Fry's offer at BB and then used my rewardzone coupon and trade-in credit. This is the best collection to pick up. If you like good sci-fi movies, then these r it.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Is there a difference between the US and UK versions of the blu ray set?[/QUOTE]
I don't think there is a different content-wise, but the U.S. version has much better packaging.

[quote name='PublikDefender']I don't think there is a different content-wise, but the U.S. version has much better packaging.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will have to wait for this to go back on sale. Is $30 as good as its getting? Is that a good buy price point?

[quote name='soccerstud652']Thanks, I will have to wait for this to go back on sale. Is $30 as good as its getting? Is that a good buy price point?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is:cool:

I got this for $19.99 at BB with the Upgrade and Save coupon, plus the one from www.coupons.com. Today was the last day to get it at that price sadly. Great price, same as what I paid for the DVD version a few years ago, lol.

30$ is a decent price for this blu-ray thanks alot.

sig.jpg

[quote name='PublikDefender']Ranking time!

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Prometheus (a disappointment but lovely directing/cinematography)
4. Alien Resurrection
5. Alien 3[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm the only one who would put Alien 3 in the number 1 spot, followed by Aliens, Alien, and Alien resurrection

[quote name='unwittytitle']I guess I'm the only one who would put Alien 3 in the number 1 spot, followed by Aliens, Alien, and Alien resurrection[/QUOTE]

Considering Alien 3 is a movie that the director distances himself with, yeah, I'd say you are.

Anyway, my order would be:
Aliens
Alien
Alien 3 (Only if it's the Assembly Cut.)
Alien Resurrection

I need to watch Prometheus

EDIT: I need to watch Prometheus again to judge if I liked it more than Alien 3 or less. Definitely more than Alien Resurrection though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JasonTerminator']Considering Alien 3 is a movie that the director distances himself with, yeah, I'd say you are.

Anyway, my order would be:
Aliens
Alien
Alien 3 (Only if it's the Assembly Cut.)
Alien Resurrection

I need to watch Prometheus[/QUOTE]

Prometheus is one of those movies that you'll be scratching your head or rubbing the bridge of your nose over the sheer stupidity of certain scenes, but still enjoying the rest of it despite those flaws. At least that's how I am with it, I just can't seem to help myself from liking it :).

Now about Alien 3, I'm also of those guys who thinks highly of Alien 3. The set design/cinematography/costumes were all well done, even in light of the trials that Fincher (being the last of several Directors for the film) had to go through. The Assembly Cut has a ton of great extra footage, and totally feeds that sense of mine that always wants more to digest from these films, but the original theatrical cut is great in my book too. The reason Fincher distances himself from it is because of how Fox fucked production from the start, and basically forced the cast/crew to conform to ridiculous standards on time/quality. I still need to watch the uncut version of the alien 3 documentary on the blu, to actually hear the meat of what Fincher went on about working with Fox, since it's supposed to be really great insight on the process.

I guess I was never bothered by the fact that the set-up Aliens provided wasn't continued in the films that followed, because the Dark Horse comics continued it for YEARS before the 3rd film ever came out. I think that's most of where the hate for Alien 3 comes from (not continuing the franchise where people expected / not living up to expectations from the original teaser, etc.), and I urge those folks to go pick up /download the ORIGINAL printings of the Aliens comics from Dark Horse (numbered, NOT titled). Also don't get me started on how Alien Resurrection didn't fucking need Ripley it in whatsoever. Or the "liberties" taken with the cloning. Or how despite all that the crew of the Betty are still fucking awesome (thank you Joss Whedon :D).

Do NOT pick up the Aliens Omnibus Vol.1 from Dark Horse (even though you probably won't find it for under $40 since its OOP now). The reason being is that the original volumes were the sequel to the 2nd films story, set some years later following Rebecca/Newt & Hicks. They kicked fucking ass (at least the first 2 do) and are some of my favorite comics of all time. The Omnibus, however, collects the REPRINTS that were made to coincide the release of Alien3, and they COMPLETELY ret-con the fact they were about Newt & Hicks by CHANGING THEIR NAMES. Yes, that it. And they did a piss-poor job at that, because the editor fucking missed at least a dozen instances (in EACH BOOK) where they USED THE ORIGINAL NAMES INSTEAD.:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

In any case, for me the films and the comics storylines deviate from one another anyways, and I accept that both continuities exist and just enjoy the entire universe for what it offers. That said, Prometheus also ret-cons the comics, but like I said it works on it's own and is enjoyable just the same.

/Rant over

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Prometheus is one of those movies that you'll be scratching your head or rubbing the bridge of your nose over the sheer stupidity of certain scenes, but still enjoying the rest of it despite those flaws. At least that's how I am with it, I just can't seem to help myself from liking it :).

Now about Alien 3, I'm also of those guys who thinks highly of Alien 3. The set design/cinematography/costumes were all well done, even in light of the trials that Fincher (being the last of several Directors for the film) had to go through. The Assembly Cut has a ton of great extra footage, and totally feeds that sense of mine that always wants more to digest from these films, but the original theatrical cut is great in my book too.

I guess I was never bothered by the fact that the set-up Aliens provided wasn't continued in the films that followed, because the Dark Horse comics continued it for YEARS before the 3rd film ever came out. I think that's most of where the hate for Alien 3 comes from (not continuing the franchise where people expected / not living up to expectations from the original teaser, etc.), and I urge those folks to go pick up /download the ORIGINAL printings of the Aliens comics from Dark Horse (numbered, NOT titled). Also don't get me started on how Alien Resurrection didn't fucking need Ripley it in whatsoever. Or the "liberties" taken with the cloning. Or how despite all that the crew of the Betty are still fucking awesome (thank you Joss Whedon :D).

Do NOT pick up the Aliens Omnibus Vol.1 from Dark Horse (even though you probably won't find it for under $40 since its OOP now). The reason being is that the original volumes were the sequel to the 2nd films story, set some years later following Rebecca/Newt & Hicks. They kicked fucking ass (at least the first 2 do) and are some of my favorite comics of all time. The Omnibus, however, collects the REPRINTS that were made to coincide the release of Alien3, and they COMPLETELY ret-con the fact they were about Newt & Hicks by CHANGING THEIR NAMES. Yes, that it. And they did a piss-poor job at that, because the editor fucking missed at least a dozen instances (in EACH BOOK) where they USED THE ORIGINAL NAMES INSTEAD.:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

In any case, for me the films and the comics storylines deviate from one another anyways, and I accept that both continuities exist and just enjoy the entire universe for what it offers. That said, Prometheus also ret-cons the comics, but like I said it works on it's own and is enjoyable just the same.

/Rant over[/QUOTE]

I meant he's the only person that thinks Alien 3 is better than Alien and Aliens. I don't think Alien 3 is a bad movie, or Alien Resurrection for that matter, but I don't think they are on the same level as the first two films.

And I have seen Prometheus, but I need to see it again to determine where I'd place it (Mostly unsure if I'd place it higher or lower than Alien 3). I forgot to add that part in my previous post.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I meant he's the only person that thinks Alien 3 is better than Alien and Aliens. I don't think Alien 3 is a bad movie, or Alien Resurrection for that matter, but I don't think they are on the same level as the first two films.

And I have seen Prometheus, but I need to see it again to determine where I'd place it (Mostly unsure if I'd place it higher or lower than Alien 3). I forgot to add that part in my previous post.[/QUOTE]

Heh, that rant wasn't directed at you btw. I was just replying to your "still need to watch prometheus again" line from above, and the rest is just general ranting.

For a long while I actually did like Alien3 more than the other films because it was so easy to digest, kind of like Return of the Jedi, at least for me if that makes sense. It was much quicker paced and (i think) has a shorter run-time than the others, more of a "broad strokes" kind of feeling with pacing where the visuals are what carried you mostly through instead of a combination of engaging character drama / tension filled horror.

I'm more or less on the same page as you as far as rating Prometheus against the others though, leaning towards a tie w/ Resurrection for me due to the facepalm inducing "lol were scientists" moments. Fassbender kills as David, and pretty much everything bad I can think to levy at the film gets balanced out by him.

bread's done
Back