Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] $97.99 Amazon

Any idea if this is just the quadrilogy or if it will also include the AvP movies? I only ask because they're using the term Anthology which sounds more encompassing than Quadrilogy.

Nevermind, posting from iPhone and just read 1st review which outlines the 6 disc set of 4 movies. Anyone else find this to be a tad on the pricey side? I would think 60-80 sounds a bit more reasonable, though I do love these movies (well 1 & 2 ... I hate to pay anything for 3 & 4)

[quote name='etcrane']Nevermind, posting from iPhone and just read 1st review which outlines the 6 disc set of 4 movies. Anyone else find this to be a tad on the pricey side? I would think 60-80 sounds a bit more reasonable, though I do love these movies (well 1 & 2 ... I hate to pay anything for 3 & 4)[/QUOTE]

Worth every penny IMO, but expect it to drop closer to probably 80ish. $20 per title is reasonable enough for me.

[quote name='etcrane']Nevermind, posting from iPhone and just read 1st review which outlines the 6 disc set of 4 movies. Anyone else find this to be a tad on the pricey side? I would think 60-80 sounds a bit more reasonable, though I do love these movies (well 1 & 2 ... I hate to pay anything for 3 & 4)[/QUOTE]

overpriced....

[quote name='Dustin Echoes']It retails for $140, Amazon has it for $98...[/QUOTE]
Retails for $140?:hot: They are out of their fucking minds!

It does sound overpriced to me. I'll wait for reviews because if it is handled like Predator (i.e. crappy transfer) then I'll be staying away from this too.

[quote name='shrike4242']Don't assume this will be the final price by release time.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the retail price is $139.99. Amazon doesn't state it (yet) but this set is supposed to come with this....

alien-anthology-20100714025510884.jpg

Check IGN for more information:
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/110/1106154p1.html

:::

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, I hate that case. How much you want to bet they're shitty transfers, too.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the egg/alien is a case or a statue/bust (I think it might be a statue pack-in). The transfers are going to be quite good - sounds like they are going balls-out on this one - read the IGN article for some in-depth info.

Yeah, I don't need the statue, just the movies please. The reason why that case is so bad is because it's designed to fit in the base of it. Hopefully they offer just the plain case like Amazon has featured as well.

[quote name='Lord Humongous']Actually, the retail price is $139.99. Amazon doesn't state it (yet) but this set is supposed to come with this....

alien-anthology-20100714025510884.jpg

Check IGN for more information:
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/110/1106154p1.html

:::[/QUOTE]
I would glady pay 100-150$ for that, for just the films in a normal box i wouldnt pay more then 50-60$

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, I hate that case above; Amazon has the better one. How much you want to bet they're shitty transfers, too.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm glad it's not all about you because the majority of people love the case. And what are you basing the shitty transfer comment on? Or are you just looking for things to complain about?

As long as the quality of the egg case is good and the case the discs go in is good I'm all over it. Hell I will buy it for just the first two movies as the last two I really didn't like. I hope if they put the deleted scenes in 3 like they did in the last box set the clean them up and make it watchable. The last set had sound issues and the cg looked like ass. I know they put up that the sound was bad before the movie started but still.

[quote name='opterasis']Well I'm glad it's not all about you because the majority of people love the case. And what are you basing the shitty transfer comment on? Or are you just looking for things to complain about?[/QUOTE]
That case is awful because all the discs are loose and it's smaller than a normal case, which makes it look out of place on the shelf. The transfer comment comes after they screwed up Predator, arguably twice now.

[quote name='sendme']As long as the quality of the egg case is good and the case the discs go in is good I'm all over it. Hell I will buy it for just the first two movies as the last two I really didn't like. I hope if they put the deleted scenes in 3 like they did in the last box set the clean them up and make it watchable. The last set had sound issues and the cg looked like ass. I know they put up that the sound was bad before the movie started but still.[/QUOTE]

The egg is supposed to be illuminated and is done by Sideshow. So, I'm sure the quality will be up to par.

[quote name='Jodou']That case is awful because all the discs are loose and it's smaller than a normal case, which makes it look out of place on the shelf. The transfer comment comes after they screwed up Predator, arguably twice now.[/QUOTE]

So all of Fox who has had some very respectable transfers should be based on 1 movie that was going to look like shit no matter what? And the discs are loose? Wtf are you talking about?

Not sure I'm digging the case .. I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm bothered by the scale issues ... if you're going to do an Alien Egg, don't put a little Alien holding on to it ... it just looks silly.

Either do something Alien related or something with an egg and add a facehugger, but don't try to do both and create something that will look as ridiculous as that does when it's sitting on my shelf.

Still too steep. I'll bite for $59.99. $20 for the first three movies, Alien Resurrection at no cost because it's a mess (Ron Pearlman and Michael Wincott made it tolerable). Fincher's movie I actually enjoyed, even factoring in that his cut was shit on by the studio.

You could always wait it out for them to be released individually. I know since it's a different company, it's not a great guide to follow, but it's very possible it will end up like the Lord of the Rings, the box set now, then individual releases 6 months down the road, and those are up for preorder for under 19$ each.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Still too steep. I'll bite for $59.99. $20 for the first three movies, Alien Resurrection at no cost because it's a mess (Ron Pearlman and Michael Wincott made it tolerable). Fincher's movie I actually enjoyed, even factoring in that his cut was shit on by the studio.[/QUOTE]

Fincher was an asshole who took a dump on the Alien franchise by totally disrespecting what Cameron accomplished in Aliens and basically giving everyone who enjoyed the second film's ending the finger at the start of the third film.

Fincher's movie deserved to be shit on by the studio because it was a piece of crap that ruined the Alien franchise and even 4 couldn't salvage the damage done by 3 ... just my 2 cents .. and even the dog alien didn't redeem his "effort" as first time director. Fincher has made better films since Alien 3 but god knows that was not the high point in his career.

So is this the set with the egg statue or what? I'm not gonna preorder unless it is, but I can't find anything in the description about it. So again does anyone know if this is the one with the statue?

I'll have to wait and get more details. I don't want a statue, or weird case etc.

Also don't really want the 3rd or 4th movie much, so I may just wait and see if they sell the movies individually.

I had the original Alien Legacy boxed set (the one before the quadrilogy) on DVD but got rid of it recently. Definitley want to replace the first 2, but would only buy a boxed set if it's in standard sized packaging and $60 or so in a deal as I'd rarely ever watch Alien3 or Resurrection.

[quote name='Mixer236']The egg is supposed to be illuminated and is done by Sideshow. So, I'm sure the quality will be up to par.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sold then. Sidshow always makes quality products.

[quote name='etcrane']Fincher was an asshole who took a dump on the Alien franchise by totally disrespecting what Cameron accomplished in Aliens and basically giving everyone who enjoyed the second film's ending the finger at the start of the third film.

Fincher's movie deserved to be shit on by the studio because it was a piece of crap that ruined the Alien franchise and even 4 couldn't salvage the damage done by 3 ... just my 2 cents .. and even the dog alien didn't redeem his "effort" as first time director. Fincher has made better films since Alien 3 but god knows that was not the high point in his career.[/QUOTE]

3 was trash and I don't even coun't it as cannon. I don't count the 4th one as cannon due to 3. I have not seen 4 in so long. I would like to see an AVP that takes place after Aliens with an adult Newt that is now a marine and they are looking for a weapon to take down the Xenomorphs and that weapon is the Predators or their gear. I'm sure they could get it to work.

[quote name='etcrane']Fincher was an asshole who took a dump on the Alien franchise by totally disrespecting what Cameron accomplished in Aliens and basically giving everyone who enjoyed the second film's ending the finger at the start of the third film.

Fincher's movie deserved to be shit on by the studio because it was a piece of crap that ruined the Alien franchise and even 4 couldn't salvage the damage done by 3 ... just my 2 cents .. and even the dog alien didn't redeem his "effort" as first time director. Fincher has made better films since Alien 3 but god knows that was not the high point in his career.[/QUOTE]

Fincher was brought in at the end, with a shitty script slopped together from previous scripts, and no time to start over with a quality script. Fincher hated that movie. He won't associate himself with it. You can be sure he again refused to participate in this set. He wasn't allowed any input on both the theatrical cut and the cut with 30 extra minutes, because he was a "rookie" music video director nobody thought deserved any right to final cut approval. As part of the continuity, Alien 3 is definitely a punch in the gut, but as a standalone movie Fincher polished a turd the best he could.

[quote name='Jodou']That case is awful because all the discs are loose and it's smaller than a normal case, which makes it look out of place on the shelf. The transfer comment comes after they screwed up Predator, arguably twice now.[/QUOTE]
1.It's not supposed to sit with your standard blu-ray/dvds, its meant to be show cased like other big sets
2. how are the disc loose? comes in a standard fold out case like thousands of tv show sets

and just because predator got fucked up doesn't mean the alien set will, i can show you tons of excellent fox transfers

[quote name='etcrane']Not sure I'm digging the case .. I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm bothered by the scale issues ... if you're going to do an Alien Egg, don't put a little Alien holding on to it ... it just looks silly.

Either do something Alien related or something with an egg and add a facehugger, but don't try to do both and create something that will look as ridiculous as that does when it's sitting on my shelf.[/QUOTE]

This. God damn midget Alien up on it.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Fincher was brought in at the end, with a shitty script slopped together from previous scripts, and no time to start over with a quality script. Fincher hated that movie. He won't associate himself with it. You can be sure he again refused to participate in this set. He wasn't allowed any input on both the theatrical cut and the cut with 30 extra minutes, because he was a "rookie" music video director nobody thought deserved any right to final cut approval. As part of the continuity, Alien 3 is definitely a punch in the gut, but as a standalone movie Fincher polished a turd the best he could.[/QUOTE]

Actually that's not entirely true ... and Fincher's vision for the film was actually probably worse than what we got in Alien 3 ... he was attempting to make the next "Epic Art film type" film, you know like a 2001 or an Apocalypse Now. Here's an interesting read that provides a bit of background on why I would blame Fincher for what we got and how it could have been, unbelievably, even worse if he'd had free reign by the studio -

http://www.movie-list.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7415

Either way, the guy comes off as a pompous douche and I still blame him for ruining the Alien franchise for a good decade, if not longer depending on your feelings about AvP.

[quote name='etcrane']Actually that's not entirely true ... and Fincher's vision for the film was actually probably worse than what we got in Alien 3 ... he was attempting to make the next "Epic Art film type" film, you know like a 2001 or an Apocalypse Now. Here's an interesting read that provides a bit of background on why I would blame Fincher for what we got and how it could have been, unbelievably, even worse if he'd had free reign by the studio -

http://www.movie-list.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7415

Either way, the guy comes off as a pompous douche and I still blame him for ruining the Alien franchise for a good decade, if not longer depending on your feelings about AvP.[/QUOTE]

So you're blaming him not only for what he was forced to do by Fox, but you're going to blame him for what he wanted to do but wasn't allowed to? There's no point in complaining about what might have been, but to blame him for all the restrictions Fox put on him is a bit ridiculous. I don't think any director could have pulled a good movie out of the pile of shit.

[quote name='opterasis']So you're blaming him not only for what he was forced to do by Fox, but you're going to blame him for what he wanted to do but wasn't allowed to? There's no point in complaining about what might have been, but to blame him for all the restrictions Fox put on him is a bit ridiculous. I don't think any director could have pulled a good movie out of the pile of shit.[/QUOTE]

But it was his own fault, didn't you read the link? He went way over budget and time because he wanted to perfect every shot, since he was used to dealing with music videos and commercials where they tend to overshoot and don't care about getting things right in as few takes as possible.

On top of that, the guy just came off as damn arrogant ... and I quote "But he occasionally drops a remark that would make a studio executive with millions of dollars on the line a tad nervous: “I’m not making this movie for 50 million people,” he says, “I’m making it for 8 people, my friends, people who know the cameras and lighting.” That works out to a budget of just over $6 million per friend."

"With Fincher signed, Fox hired Larry Ferguson to do a four-week emergency rewite on the script. The plot Fincher came up with on his own, prior to the hiring of Ferguson, left the suits aghast. “They said, ‘My God, this is four f***ing hours, it’s $150 million.’ And they were absolutely right.” He laughs. “I was just so taken with the legacy that it had to be….Apocalypse Now.”

I can understand that he had a vision for the movie, but at the end of the day, if he had a problem with the script and wasn't working well with the suits, then he should have walked. The bottom line is that he did direct Alien 3 and even if it wasn't the movie he envisioned, he created it. No matter how you edit Alien 3, it's still a huge F U to everyone who enjoyed Aliens.

Heck, I would love for you to find me a person, any person who absolutely LOVED Aliens and then found themselves enjoying Alien 3 more. I don't think it's possible, because if you love Aliens then they basically destroy everything the film accomplished from a narrative perspective in the first 5 minutes of Alien 3. It doesn't even beat around the bush enough to do a respectful transition into the plot of Alien 3 ... it just kills everyone but Ripley and says "ooo, sucks for you that you were able to kill a QUEEN but didn't check for a couple facehuggers that somehow managed to leave their eggs for a prolonged period, infect two people and then disappear before you sealed them into hypersleep"

So yeah, I still blame Fincher ... but that's just me

The only way he could ever redeem himself for Alien 3 would be for him to go back and use this script in a CGI movie and then burn all the existing copies of his old film - http://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

Last edited by a moderator:
Too damn much! I don't need a special case to stare at, I would have settled for the digipak the last set got........ err wait I hated that packaging . Dammit just release the things individually then do the super duper boxset.

[quote name='DestroVega']Fellas... there is no way in hell these transfers won't be top-notch.[/QUOTE]Normally, studios don't screw up high-profile releases, though sometimes, they still do.

I don't expect them to screw this one up, though anything's possible.

I have a feeling that is just a hunch, nothing conclusive, but I suppose these won't be amazing transfers. They will be great steps up from the DVD, but that's not that surprising.

Worth 100 dollars for four movies though? That is a bit of a killer in terms of price... brings me back to the heyday of DVDs when it was like this. I sincerely hope this drops to a more manageable price in the future.

Way overpriced. Especially considering that Alien 3 and 4 were just horrible, horrible movies.

This set will be on sale for $40-$50 this time next year. No reason what so ever to buy this at release, even if you are a fan of all 4 movies.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Way overpriced. Especially considering that Alien 3 and 4 were just horrible, horrible movies.

This set will be on sale for $40-$50 this time next year. No reason what so ever to buy this at release, even if you are a fan of all 4 movies.[/QUOTE]

Not wanting to wait a year is reason enough for me to buy them at release.

[quote name='DestroVega']yeah, i'll just get them for my birthday 2 weeks later... no cost :)[/QUOTE]

My birthday is on Nov. 2nd. That means free Alien anthology and Back to the Future trilogy for me. /highfive

I'm going to hold out to see what the production quality is on this set. From the video on the link you posted it looks like unless it is changed the discs are all in a nice case and slide out from under the egg.

I don't think I'll bite until it hits $40-50. It's just way too expensive, to the point where I wonder what the studio was thinking. People only want 2 out of the 4 movies anyway. And those hungry for extras are not a big enough demographic to warrant pricegouging.

[quote name='opterasis']Worth every penny IMO, but expect it to drop closer to probably 80ish. $20 per title is reasonable enough for me.[/QUOTE]

1 and 2 20each and 3 and 4 15each so 70

bread's done
Back