Alien Vs Predator (2000) on Steam 4.99

Burchamj

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Patched to work on Win Vista and 7. All extra expansion levels included. They say they will add Multiplayer in later as a Patch.

Great deal, bought it tonight ... ran beautifully in Windows 7 and the 360 pad support is great ... grab this if you're at all curious or nostalgic about the series.

[quote name='rhewes']Is this the same game as the old Atari Jaguar one, or is it an updated, different version?[/QUOTE]

My friend...Who was rocking a Jaguar in the year 2000?

15n2878.jpg

Might get it if they add MP although at $5, it's tempting especially since skirmish was quite fun from what I remember, been ages since I've played it though.

I am not liking this game too much so far...

To put it in perspective, I played both this and FEAR 2: Reborn back to back a little while ago, and I liked FEAR 2: Reborn more. Actually, Reborn's pretty good. It's what FEAR 2 should have been from the start. There just needed to be a lot more of it. But, I digress. I find a lot of little $$$$ling things about AVP2K that I don't like, but I am going to give it some more time to be fair.

EDIT: WTF? I can't say n!ggling? Makes me s$$$$er.

EDIT 2: OH fuck!

They need to get the second one out there with multiplayer right away. I'm thinking about picking this one up for $5 but I'm not sure I'd play it when I already have the second which I still enjoy playing occasionally.

There was an update released for this today with some nice fixes/updates.

• Proper widescreen support. Previously the game allowed non-4:3 video modes (e.g. 1920x1080) but just rendered a stretched 4:3 image. Now the game renders at the correct aspect ratio (e.g. 5:4, 16:9, 16:10), with the vertical field-of-view remaining fixed and the horizontal field-of-view changing accordingly. (i.e. 16:9 modes now render more to the sides than a 4:3 mode).
  • By popular demand, added an -unlimitedsaves command line option. By launching the game with -unlimitedsaves in the command line, players can now save as many times as they like, rather than being restricted to a set number of saves per level. To set your command line options, please right-click on the game in Steam My games browser and select Properties and then Set Launch Options. Alternatively you can edit the command line options directly if you are using a shortcut to the game exe.
  • Replaced timer code with a new high-resolution version for improved accuracy.
  • Frame-rate now locks to a maximum of 120 to fix gameplay issues when running at very high rates (e.g. when vsync is disabled).
  • Mouse sensitivity/accuracy improvements for mice with a high poll rate.
  • Fix for invalid characters in device name in video resolution menu causing rendering problems.
  • Fix for crash on machines without a sound card / where the sound drivers are invalid. (Game will now run correctly with no sound.)

Why is the STEAM version so buggy?

I have the original version and it runs with no problem.

A friend of mine loaned this to me many years ago. I didn't really like the controls all that much then and the save system sucked. I did pick up AvP2 for a couple of dollars at a garage sale last year and really like that. To me that game is better in every way. I guess I'll wait for AvP2 Gold instead, since the version I have is just the original game.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']There was an update released for this today with some nice fixes/updates.

• Proper widescreen support. Previously the game allowed non-4:3 video modes (e.g. 1920x1080) but just rendered a stretched 4:3 image. Now the game renders at the correct aspect ratio (e.g. 5:4, 16:9, 16:10), with the vertical field-of-view remaining fixed and the horizontal field-of-view changing accordingly. (i.e. 16:9 modes now render more to the sides than a 4:3 mode).
  • By popular demand, added an -unlimitedsaves command line option. By launching the game with -unlimitedsaves in the command line, players can now save as many times as they like, rather than being restricted to a set number of saves per level. To set your command line options, please right-click on the game in Steam My games browser and select Properties and then Set Launch Options. Alternatively you can edit the command line options directly if you are using a shortcut to the game exe.
  • Replaced timer code with a new high-resolution version for improved accuracy.
  • Frame-rate now locks to a maximum of 120 to fix gameplay issues when running at very high rates (e.g. when vsync is disabled).
  • Mouse sensitivity/accuracy improvements for mice with a high poll rate.
  • Fix for invalid characters in device name in video resolution menu causing rendering problems.
  • Fix for crash on machines without a sound card / where the sound drivers are invalid. (Game will now run correctly with no sound.)
[/QUOTE]

I was so excited when I saw it updating when I turned on Steam this morning hoping it was the multiplayer update. A little disappointed but still not a bad update.

Alright from what I've seen predators and marines have access to guns they can fire at their feet to kill any alien within a 30 foot radius without doing damage to themselves. Anybody have any ways around this or are aliens just worthless?

[quote name='rhewes']Is this the same game as the old Atari Jaguar one, or is it an updated, different version?[/QUOTE]

It's an entirely different game (by the same developers as the Jag game, however).

[quote name='DrFoo']Alright from what I've seen predators and marines have access to guns they can fire at their feet to kill any alien within a 30 foot radius without doing damage to themselves. Anybody have any ways around this or are aliens just worthless?[/QUOTE]
Just get better at playing as the alien, man.

Alright just found out the predator disc goes through walls which pretty much makes it an auto kill weapon since it already locks on instantly and seeks people. The balance in this game is absolutely ridiculous. Still fun to mess around in and might be good for lans, though. Also some servers just ban the over powered weapons. I found an alien tag server where predators only had spear guns and the marines only had pulse rifles that was pretty fun.

bread's done
Back