Aliens: Colonial Marines (Xbox 360)

Think about all the $$$ they spend on hyping it up... very dissapointed on how bad of a review it got. Guess it'll be a rental for me.

[quote name='GUNNM']The graphics are on par with PS2[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing that the bulk of development on this game was done back in 2008 when it was first announced. Since then it's just been sitting around while they worked on modernizing the demo, but not the game itself, apparently.

after watching that video, the demo looks soo better lol. maybe they can do Aliens for real on ps4 and xbox 720. im stilll playing this game now though, its pretty fun so if u wanna do coop add me: snakemaster2389

the only reason any1 would be buy this game at day one for the retail price is, because they are fans of the alien franchise, LOL

haha... I'm going to wait on this one but I went into GS for something earlier this evening and just to make conversation I asked the employee how sales were for Aliens: CM and he said something to the effect of "Awesome... It's going to be a game of the year contender".

My insides hurt from trying to control the laughter.

Like most, I was really wanting to like the game. I picked it up on my lunch break yesterday, but held off opening after reading some reviews. I decided to rent it from Redbox and give it a whirl and I do not like it. The glitches, gameplay, etc etc was enough to make me take my sealed copy back to Bestbuy. It's really a shame they dropped the ball on what could have been a good game.

Holy crap, I watched an actual release copy gameplay video and I was absolutely shocked at the graphics. I normally don't care that much about graphics but the textures on the faces were absolutely atrocious, they almost looked like a crappy cartoon face.

ZwUzYbj.gif

Good god, that looks atrocious. Are those Xenomorph zombies?

So anyway, I decided to say "fuck it" and actually sought out spoilers to the story after reading the GiantBomb review. This website has a pretty brief writeup of the full storyline if you want spoilers: http://www.denofgeek.com/games/alien/24459/a-closer-look-at-aliens-colonial-marines-story

At any rate, HOLY fuck, it wasn't just the gameplay and graphics they massively screwed up, but the story as well
Major spoilers ahead:
They brought back Hicks... No, not just that opening video, which is a great excuse for a cameo. Instead, they bring him back under the premise that he never left the Sulaco in the first place. He shows up as a "hooded figure" who joins the hero to fight Weyland-Yutani.

Fight them, because apparently they were up to no good experimenting on the xenos. Oh wait, before I go too far, I should mention that they actually reference Hicks's corpse from Alien 3. The explanation they give? "Oh, that's a story for a different time..." fuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkk you That's not just a lame attempt at fan-service but rather just sloppy, lazy storytelling.

So yeah, apparently the story ends up being that the "human" Michael Weyland shows up personally to try to experiment on the xenos. The "twist" at the end though is when Hicks puts a bullet in Weyland's head it turns out that he's an android too.

I really thought the scaling back of an explosion "the size of Nebraska" so as to allow Hadley's Hope to survive was going to be the extent they were stretching the story. Instead, that was probably the smallest stretch they ended up making in this game.

Seriously, if you're thinking about playing this game just for the storyline, think long and hard if you like your intelligence insulted.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']shut the fuck up, that has to be fake (not just the captioning)[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you believed it was fake since it was directly from the game. Sucks that the game turned out like this though,would be nice if someone could make an Aliens game that was as good as AVP2 (2001).

[quote name='themaster20000']I don't see why you believed it was fake since it was directly from the game. Sucks that the game turned out like this though,would be nice if someone could make an Aliens game that was as good as AVP2 (2001).[/QUOTE]

I thought it was fake because I was shocked that a major video game release could look so unprofessional and sloppy. Many indie release games have far smaller budgets and manage to look better than that.

Considering the game has been going in & out of cancellation for around 9-13 years through multiple developers,is it surprising that its another Duke Nukem?

I'm so bummed about how bad this game turned out. I had such high hopes after seeing the "game play" demo. What makes this even worse is that I don't see any other developers revisiting this franchise anytime soon.

/sidenote: That DS game looks kind of fun. I might have to check it out.

[quote name='themaster20000']
ZwUzYbj.gif
[/QUOTE]

I would like to note that I got through that part of the game last night and that is supposed to happen. That's not a result of poor AI or anything. Having said that I will say the game is nowhere near as bad as the reviewers make it out to be.

[quote name='bill123']I would like to note that I got through that part of the game last night and that is supposed to happen. That's not a result of poor AI or anything. Having said that I will say the game is nowhere near as bad as the reviewers make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Is that you Brandon?

[quote name='bill123']I would like to note that I got through that part of the game last night and that is supposed to happen. That's not a result of poor AI or anything. Having said that I will say the game is nowhere near as bad as the reviewers make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='matrix9280']Is that you Brandon?[/QUOTE]

hahah...

Bill123 just out of curiosity can you explain why on earth they would program the alien to walk like that?

I bought 3 copies of this game. One for me, and one for 2 of my friends who are having birthdays. We like to do co-op and I thought this would be a great opportunity. I bought them before the release date from a place I know that does things like that. Anyway, because I picked it up before hand I hadn't had a chance to read any reviews. The only thing I had heard is that it played a little like Left 4 Dead.
We will be playing this game soon, and I will report back with a good and honest opinion for you all. From what I do see so far though...I am going to say it Does Not play like Left 4 Dead LOL. Also for the dude that made the comparison to Doom 3, I have heard that multiple times!

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']I bought 3 copies of this game. One for me, and one for 2 of my friends who are having birthdays. We like to do co-op and I thought this would be a great opportunity. I bought them before the release date from a place I know that does things like that. Anyway, because I picked it up before hand I hadn't had a chance to read any reviews. The only thing I had heard is that it played a little like Left 4 Dead.
We will be playing this game soon, and I will report back with a good and honest opinion for you all. From what I do see so far though...I am going to say it Does Not play like Left 4 Dead LOL. Also for the dude that made the comparison to Doom 3, I have heard that multiple times![/QUOTE]Really don't think there is anything else that can be said about this FAIL of a game.

This is by far the worst game I had to play. Nothing was good except the sound.
In one area I was able to get a health pack by reaching through an unbreakale window. I'm glad it rented it.

[quote name='tcrash247']It is very surprising Gearbox hasn't directly commented on this whole shitstorm yet.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine its because there is still a threat of Sega taking them to court.

[quote name='GUNNM']Don't even rent it. I got it today from gamefly its already sealed back up[/QUOTE]

I'm going to rent it just for the 3 Borderlands 2 Golden Keys.

[quote name='tcrash247']It is very surprising Gearbox hasn't directly commented on this whole shitstorm yet.[/QUOTE]
What are they going to say? This is not like Duke Nukem, where they could semi-legitimately claim that the game was of historical interest, it was supposed to be old-fashioned, it was more of an artifact of its time than a fun game in and of itself, etc. etc.

They can't exactly just come out and say, "Yeah, Aliens is just a bad game and you shouldn't buy it."

Just finished the 1K on this turd last night. Unfortunately since there is a season pass (and thus probably some DLC with achievements), I will have to hold onto it :wall:

It wasn't totally awful but I just felt bad wasting my GC from my birthday on this. So glad I passed on the CE though.

I mean who makes a fucking game where you have to do misc kill challenges in a set order? Why not have it like Borderlands where you can do them at any time. That is just fucking stupid! The campaign was just meh, very easy to complete, I honestly didn't give a shit about the story after a certain point. Thankfully I have this done. Now back to playing some adequate FPSes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention if you are an Aliens fan this game takes a gigantic shit on the Aliens lore. A few things make no sense since this is supposed to tie in with the movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Just finished the 1K on this turd last night.

EDIT: I forgot to mention if you are an Aliens fan this game takes a gigantic shit on the Aliens lore. A few things make no sense since this is supposed to tie in with the movies.[/QUOTE]

Actually, even the stuff in the AvP crossovers, I do not consider Aliens canon cause it hurts to accept them.

If you view them as 'off-shoots,' then maybe they're easier to digest.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Good god, that looks atrocious. Are those Xenomorph zombies?

[/QUOTE]

looks to be xenomorph skin and textures on a zombie mo-cap.

epic failures.

[quote name='YBX87']the only reason any1 would be buy this game at day one for the retail price is, because they are fans of the alien franchise, LOL[/QUOTE]

correction: [only] because they are [complete morons]

because even fans aren't that stupid. ;)

[quote name='Mospeada_21']correction: [only] because they are [complete morons]

because even fans aren't that stupid. ;)[/QUOTE]

Taking things seriously for a moment, it's pretty sad that this happened. Guess there's no such thing as an impartial preview anymore. Or an honest developer.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Actually, even the stuff in the AvP crossovers, I do not consider Aliens canon cause it hurts to accept them.

If you view them as 'off-shoots,' then maybe they're easier to digest.[/QUOTE]

When you look at it, this series was strung out for so many years and worked over by so many different writers and filmmakers that it's hard to really accept there being a 'canon' between them all, and especially between Aliens and everything that came after. I think most fans -- at least Aliens fans -- would be thrilled if they made an actual sequel to Aliens and just pretended Alien 3 and 4 were Ripley's fever dreams and never happened. They certainly play more like silly nightmares (killing off the whole cast of Aliens in 3, which pissed everyone off, then bringing Ripley back from the dead in the ridiculous Alien Resurrection) than logical story continuations of the first two films. This game tried to do something like that -- but it just didn't work out.

I guess in my little universe every one of the films is its own entity. The series doesn't really hang together as a whole 'franchise' except for the connection between 1 and 2, and even then the two films are, intentionally, quite different -- which is also the good thing about them. Aliens isn't just a rehash of Alien.

Not often I will not finish a campaign on a game I purchased but I have thrown in the towel on this one. Seriously, what a shame this game is. The level designs are mostly so uninspired that the game comes off like a project people were working on in their downtime or something. Literally. You can see the few times someone seemed to care, like a few corridors from Alien that looked familiar or some of the music in the background -- but that's about it.

The only level that generated some terror, ironically, is the one someone linked to above with the Youtube video. In that level you're trying to sneak past some blind aliens who can only detect you with sound -- so they shuffle around and "shut down" and then you go past them. Very claustrophobic and kinda effective, and really the only time in the game when I felt some genuine suspense. (That's not a glitch; those aliens are supposed to behave that way)

Everything else -- outside of the novelty of hearing the Aliens music and the sound effects -- is just SO lame, especially all the outdoor enviroments and such. No detail, nothing to hook you in, even the aliens jumping around get old -- fast. Then because there's obviously not enough there to sustain your interest, they throw in all kinds of human enemies who aren't any more entertaining. Very sad. The multiplayer is a total bust, I tried playing several rounds as the aliens in TDM and our team got shredded every time.

At this point I don't even think this is worth a $20 purchase. Maybe $10 if they come out with some DLC that's fun -- but I wouldn't hold my breath.

[quote name='GUNNM']Wow you were able to finish the game?[/QUOTE]

i finished it on hardened :) lol just avoid this game everyone, it all lies!!! not even a finished game -_-

Everyone saying they want to buy at $10 should just Redbox it. Spend the $2 and feel the pain for a day and be done. Buying the game actually gives someone some money somewhere and they do not deserve it.

bread's done
Back