Alienware M11x

[quote name='boneless']Anyone had a look at this yet? My Dell 12010XPS is getting a little old and this would make a great gaming laptop on the go without the weight.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&oc=DKDNMG1&cs=19&kc=9&X=9&Y=6[/QUOTE]

I have one. It's awesome. It does a great job w/ Left 4 Dead 2, World At War, and Bioshock 2.

Not sure about paying $1000 for one though. I stacked 4 different coupons w/ a $100 Dell credit when I bought mine and got it for ~650.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Seems like you could get a lot more for a grand. I know it's a bit weightier but look at this Asus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0696&cm_re=asus_laptop-_-34-220-696-_-Product[/QUOTE]

True, that money could go a long way, but I like the 12" size for weight and fitting into my backpack on the airplane.

[quote name='InvaderZim']I have one. It's awesome. It does a great job w/ Left 4 Dead 2, World At War, and Bioshock 2.

Not sure about paying $1000 for one though. I stacked 4 different coupons w/ a $100 Dell credit when I bought mine and got it for ~650.[/QUOTE]

Are these public use coupons? I read about this laptop in some game magazine recently(Game Informer?) and it was listed at about $650 also, so at that price point it interests me. Not at $1000.

I looked at the Dell site again, and starting price is $799 so I was looking at a pre-configured model.

[quote name='InvaderZim']I have one. It's awesome. It does a great job w/ Left 4 Dead 2, World At War, and Bioshock 2.

Not sure about paying $1000 for one though. I stacked 4 different coupons w/ a $100 Dell credit when I bought mine and got it for ~650.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE let us know what cupons you used, and how to obtain some! this is THE computer i want, and $1500 is a ton of money for a little ol' high schooler to save for.

The coupons are expired - I ordered in early February. But --- it was one of the few times I was able to keep stacking Dell coupons and the order was not cancelled.

1 - I went through the EPP program - that saved ~$50
2 - I added a $50 off any Alienware under $999 coupon
3 - I added a $50 coupon for signing up for the EPP email newsletter
3 - I added a percentage off notebook purchase
4 - and a $100 off code that Dell gave me because they messed up my desktop order back in December.

The site for EPP purchases is www.dell.com/epp

The $50 off $799 newsletter coupon is still listed on the splash screen

Have you tried anything a little bit more demanding like Bad Company 2?

The size is nice, but I priced it out at $1100-$1200 once you add memory and step up the CPU--no thanks.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Seems like you could get a lot more for a grand. [/QUOTE]

I agree.

Alienware makes some sick machines - although they tend to be overpriced.
An 11" machine seems WAY too small for gaming too.
Another possible issue could be heat, but just about every laptop that has any balls is plagued with that.

Alienware does offer some very nice financing options if you qualify for enough credit through them.

I myself run a Dell Studio XPS 16 - the 16" screen is just the right size, it's handled most games I've thrown at it at decent settings. It gets SUPER hot, I have a zalman cooler that you HAVE to use if you dont want stuff to start melting lol.
You can probably pick up the older Core 2 Duo(what mine is) series at an outlet store for a good price, as they've upgraded the Studio XPSs to the intel i series processors.
I also LOVE the backlit keyboard, that was a huge selling point for me, and a lot of laptops do not offer that feature.

[quote name='Actionhank']Have you tried anything a little bit more demanding like Bad Company 2?[/QUOTE]

World at War is pretty freaking heavy.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']World at War is pretty freaking heavy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it still uses a older engine from a console. I was wondering how it would do on something like Empire Total War or Stalker Clear Sky, or my current favorite, BFBC2

I am really considering buying this, but I want to make sure it runs new PC games at acceptable settings. The processor they are offering is what's giving me pause. If not I'll just wait for a 13 incher (can't really go bigger than that) with an i3 and a dedicated card.

bread's done
Back