All Game Crazys Are Closing

stonetoad

CAG Veteran
Found this on my local Craigslist.

Bend Game Crazy Closing: First and foremost, a heartfelt and whole hearted "Thank You" to Central Oregon for choosing us for the past 6 years. In approx. two weeks ALL Game Crazy and Hollywood Video stores will be entering liquidation. As the store manager, and employee since (almost) inception till the last day I wanted to thank all the many, many, many people who have been like our extended family. You have made a job a 2nd home. We will miss all of your faces and down to earth kindness. We have always striven to be your "neighborhood" game store and provide you with excellent customer service and I feel we have done a pretty good job. Your loyalty has inspired us to provide you with the best possible experiences when in our store (CoDMW2 Midnight Launch chest flasher, HALO 3 Megaline around the store, Super Smash Bros. Tourneys and many many more). You have made the long waits till midnight launches and the 4AM Black Fridays well worth it. I also thank the many employees who have been with us over the years, the part time seasonals to the full timers who have moved on. We wish to see your faces all one last time before we close that gate for the final time. So come on down, pick up that game you've been wanting or just come down and shoot the breeze with Dan, Cody, Chris or myself. We would love to see you and say thank you and goodbye.

Bend Game Crazy Store Director,
Glenn J.

Bend Game Crazy Shift Leads (and a better group of employees than I could wish for),
Cody J. & Dan H. & Chris M.

P.S. As I'm sure many of you have some questions I'll try to answer what I know here and save our phone (and sanity) from blowing up.

Q. I have deposits on preorders, credit on my account, a gift card to GC and Hollywood. What do I do?
A. All cash deposits can be refunded for cash or used towards a purchase. All credit deposits/trade credits must be used up, credit is not transferable to cash. I recommend using your gift cards as there wont be any other location to use it at.

Q. Are you still taking preorders?
A. No, we will no longer be taking preorders on future titles, nor offering the MVP membership, offering game guard or console service contracts.

Q. What if I purchased one of those things?
A. Preorders see answer to the first question, as for MVP's and game guard I assume those will be unrefundable. In the case of service contracts I am unsure at this time how the company will handle them. I will have more information after my conference call on Monday.

Q. Are you still taking trades?
A. Yep, most definitely, however, we are no longer doing cash for trades. We still guarantee the best trade price in town and if we come in lower we'll top our competitor by 5% as always. But, if it wasn't obvious, you'll want to use that credit same day.

Q. What/When are your liquidation sales?
A. The sales wont start until the liquidation firms finish bidding on the company's assets *apx. 2 weeks. As for what the sales will be I couldn't tell you at this time. However expect by the time they begin some of our stock may have been shipped out, and expect much of the "better stuff" to go fairly quickly, so don't expect the good/decent/rare(er) games to last past the first or second weeks. Moral of the story, best to just come buy it now rather than try to wait for it to hit bottom dollar pricing as it wont be in stock then.

Q. What do you guys have in stock?
A. Honestly, everything up to date including a few Splinter Cell Elite 360 and Bowsers Inside Story DSI bundles. We have a pretty awesome selection of used games right now (I raided one of the Eugene stores that absorbed a lot of product from another closing store a few weeks ago so we have a lot of hot stuff in). A bunch of refurbished Wii's for $150, a ton of refurbished 360's $160-250 and a bunch of new consoles/handhelds as well.

Q. So what now?
A. We are kicking around a few ideas about a Store Closing BBQ when all is said and done and we'd really love to have anyone who has been a regular or has a fond memory to come down and write it down or sign on the store banner. We might also practice moonwalking and juggling and putting a video on YouTube, we'll see. :)

THANK YOU CENTRAL OREGON, YOU'VE MADE IT AWESOME!

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']I wish the one in marysville would start discounting. they have two copies of the metroid prime trilogy just sitting there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I drove by there today to see if they started the festivities. They'll probably start next week.

my local store has 3 days left. everything is 90% off. i picked up about 20 games for $20, but its slim pickings. guides were 30 cents, and a lot left still (quantity not variety)

Went to a hollywood video on its 2nd to last day and it was barren. Only games left were crapily priced ps2 and xbox games and a bunch of lousy horror movies, guess I was too late. I called a few other local ones and they said they are still waiting for the word from corporate. They said they are still renting games which I don't understand. I mean couldn't someone just rent a bunch of games and hold on to them until the places go under? Or would that shit effect your credit somehow?

Sales have not started in the Fall River, MA store but there was a shipping guy moving lots of boxes out. Clerks said the store was closing in two months.

If someone smart ran the company, they could actually compete with GS. Not overtake them as the market leader, but still profit and whatnot.

GameCrazy's closing has nothing to do with GS or competition and everything to do with being owned by a company that's $25 million in debt. The GC division of the company was not losing money. The GC division is the only division of the company that was turning a profit.

I hate all of the store level employees are losing their jobs but I have no pity for corporate.

I worked for Movie Gallery from 2002 to 2009. I enjoyed my job before the MG/HV merger, the focus of the company was on providing exceptional customer service and the company seemed to care for its employees. After the merger though with the massive debt load the company seemed to care more about the bottom line than anything which is understandable.

The failure of the company though can't all be attributed to the debt they took on with the acquisition of Hollywood Video because corporate made several horrible mistakes.

One of the key mistakes that jumps out to me is MovieBeam. "Our acquisition of MovieBeam is the first phase of our long-term strategic plan to provide digital content to consumers," said Joe Malugen (Then the CEO and Chairman of Movie Gallery). "We have exciting plans to build upon the existing content digitization and broadcast platforms." They paid $10 million dollars for this gamble of a product and eventually ended up selling it for $2 million a year later. The store closest to mine was a test store for this and they sold 2 MovieBeams and both were returned because they didn't work in the rural area they lived. If that money had been invested in starting up an online rental service similar to Netflix and Blockbuster then maybe MG/HV would still be around.

Massive waste by the company. I remember growing up working in a grocery store and the manager would always tell me that "Each of those bags is your raise, don't waste them!" well MG/HV should have listened to that advice. The stores were required to print off massive amounts of paperwork each morning, while some of it was "essential" for paperwork other was just massive waste. Most of what I deemed was waste was normal communications between corporate and stores but the thing is that information could have just as easily been read on the computer screen as on a piece of paper. I know paper is relatively inexpensive but when you are a company that is hemorrhaging money you need to cut costs any which way you can. Other similar examples of this are excessive signage and poor inventory ordering. We would receive in so much crap inventory (pickles in a bag, 3D posters, magazines, junk candy, etc) I know some of those products could be returned for credit but some of it was a pure loss and just cluttered the stores up.

Powerplay. I remember when this was first announced and the information made its rounds around this site and the general consensus was "This is crap". It was a confusing points based program. The program was to expensive. For example the lowest level of the program I believe was $8 and it gave you 8 points. Games were 5, Blurays 4, New Release DVD 3 and Older movies 2. So assuming you only rented DVDs you could have 3 movie rentals that month. Netflix's lowest program is 8.99 and it allows you to have unlimited DVD rentals and unlimited streaming. It might have been awhile since I had a math class but I believe Unlimited rentals > 3 rentals. The "best" plan was $39.99 and it allowed you unlimited rentals each month and you could have 3 items out at a time, two of which could be games. The program was also massively confusing and required some time to explain the program to customers. I remember our district manager made us act very shady and sign people up for the program if they would benefit from the program that day and not explain the program to them and just tell them it was "Like a coupon".

So while the debt was a big contributor to the downfall of the corporation, the inability of the corporation to address the growing popularity of Netflix and Redbox as well as the poor management of the corporation was also a big contributor.

[quote name='LordVila']I hate all of the store level employees are losing their jobs but I have no pity for corporate.

I worked for Movie Gallery from 2002 to 2009.....[/QUOTE]

Great read, I know by experence working for a company watching it make mistake, after mistake and watching things crumble around me.

Future Shop (U.S.A.) Circuit City, & Good Guys. (I still have a DIVX disc I saved from Circuit City)

I noticed the change in 2002 but did know why, I loved HV before 2002, and can see why they ruined it.

So if the stores are no longer listed on their store locator is it work visiting? I have a few within my vicinity, but they're kinda far if I don't know if they'll be open.

[quote name='coppanuva']So if the stores are no longer listed on their store locator is it work visiting? I have a few within my vicinity, but they're kinda far if I don't know if they'll be open.[/QUOTE]

This means they are already closing or have closed. I have some in my area not showing up in the store locator as well, but they are still in the midst of closing.

[quote name='estofan']This means they are already closing or have closed. I have some in my area not showing up in the store locator as well, but they are still in the midst of closing.[/QUOTE]
Hmm ok. So my best bet is to get their phone number via google and call and ask how open they are?

Some guy in my area bought all the inventory in two stores when there was 3 days left. I am so bent. I went today because it would have been 2 days left, hoping to find some good deals but only fixtures were left.One store sold out for $7000.00 the other was $5000.00.

[quote name='coppanuva']So if the stores are no longer listed on their store locator is it work visiting? I have a few within my vicinity, but they're kinda far if I don't know if they'll be open.[/QUOTE]

give the store a ring, if someone picks up, they're still in business, if you get a message saying the number is no longer in service... well then you just saved a trip

[quote name='LordVila']I hate all of the store level employees are losing their jobs but I have no pity for corporate.

I worked for Movie Gallery from 2002 to 2009. I enjoyed my job before the MG/HV merger, the focus of the company was on providing exceptional customer service and the company seemed to care for its employees. After the merger though with the massive debt load the company seemed to care more about the bottom line than anything which is understandable.

One of the key mistakes that jumps out to me is MovieBeam.

The stores were required to print off massive amounts of paperwork each morning, while some of it was "essential" for paperwork other was just massive waste.

Other similar examples of this are excessive signage and poor inventory ordering. We would receive in so much crap inventory (pickles in a bag, 3D posters, magazines, junk candy, etc) I know some of those products could be returned for credit but some of it was a pure loss and just cluttered the stores up.

Powerplay. I remember when this was first announced and the information made its rounds around this site and the general consensus was "This is crap". It was a confusing points based program. [/QUOTE]

EXACTLY what I think about this company over the course of my 6 years with Hollywood Video. One of the stores I worked at tried out Moviebeam...utter failure as well.

And I cannot tell you how many times I thought what a waste of paper...waste of signage! ...waste of just so much crap. I always thought the employees knew way better than them. and then...uuuuhhhg powerplay..that pretty much ruined them for good.

....haha...although I honestly loved those pickles in a bag...maybe I was the only one buying them.

Can this be changed to "All Game Crazy Stores Are Closing"? "Game Crazys" is grammatically awkward, and "Game Crazies" sounds like something you'd get from being bitten by a rabbid. This has been bothering me for like a week now. Please fix this, mods. =(

Went today, didnt seem like a lot of great prices on games, but i did pick up 3 games for $9 each, they had tons of strat guides, but they were all 50% off sticker price, which was still too much for me.

Checked the store here but they were acting like everything was business as usual. No sale prices at all. I didn't bother asking them when/if they were liquidating because the 3 nimrods behind the counter were too engrossed in the game they were playing to notice I was there. :drool:

[quote name='Bucknut']Went today, didnt seem like a lot of great prices on games, but i did pick up 3 games for $9 each, they had tons of strat guides, but they were all 50% off sticker price, which was still too much for me.[/QUOTE]

I see you are from Columbus (me too!), so did you go to the one in souther Columbus, near 270? (that is the only one left in the city, so I am assuming)
Were there any noticable markdowns? I called them last week and they and they said for now it is business as usual for the time being. So I was gonna wait and call back next week or so to see if/when the markdowns start.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']How long is the closing process going to take? I know that they will be starting the liquidation sale at my local HWV/GC next week.[/QUOTE]

2 months, or until it is all gone.

[quote name='billcom6']I see you are from Columbus (me too!), so did you go to the one in souther Columbus, near 270? (that is the only one left in the city, so I am assuming)
Were there any noticable markdowns? I called them last week and they and they said for now it is business as usual for the time being. So I was gonna wait and call back next week or so to see if/when the markdowns start.[/QUOTE]

No I went to the one on broad street, they had a good deal of 360 games but mostly older titles, i picked up Bourne, Fear 2, and Riddick all for $9 each.

yeah i live in canal winchester ohio and was going to stop in and see if they are going to start to clearance stuff, so let me know if they start...

[quote name='Bucknut']No I went to the one on broad street, they had a good deal of 360 games but mostly older titles, i picked up Bourne, Fear 2, and Riddick all for $9 each.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think that one was still open, its no on their site and the guy at store on south High said they were the last one.
I guess I should keep an eye on both spots for deals, since I work out by the airport near the Broad street one.

[quote name='billcom6']I didn't think that one was still open, its no on their site and the guy at store on south High said they were the last one.
I guess I should keep an eye on both spots for deals, since I work out by the airport near the Broad street one.[/QUOTE]

Hit up both today, the one on south high said starting next week they'll start liquidating and the one on broad all games accessories and guides were all 50% off nothing great though....

Heads up, the Burlington WA store still has one new copy of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. As well as one of Contra 4.

i talked to an manager at the e broad st store columbus, oh and she told me that the remaining stores in columbus are doing inventory right now and they should be starting to clearance stuff by thursday or friday

[quote name='prnceofpwng']i talked to an manager at the e broad st store columbus, oh and she told me that the remaining stores in columbus are doing inventory right now and they should be starting to clearance stuff by thursday or friday[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I think its cool there are so many Columbus people in this topic keeping each other updated. I still feel kinda awkward calling up the store and being like "did you mark your stuff down yet?"
Now I just wonder how they are going to do the clearance. Is it gonna start off at like 10%, then increase every week or so, or is it just gonna start off super marked down.

[quote name='theclaw']Heads up, the Burlington WA store still has one new copy of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. As well as one of Contra 4.[/QUOTE]

Crap, I was just in that area. I didn't even think about stopping there.

I'm gonna try to stop by the Grand Parkway store again tomorrow on my way to see my GF so I'll post if there's anything worthy.

[quote name='Jorrel56']My local Game Crazy in Frederick, Maryland confirmed that they are going out of business and will have a sale in 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I live in Frederick,MD too lol
But that sucks bc I liked Game Crazy more than Gamestop :nottalking:

Can you use your MVP card at closing Game Crazy's where Hollywood Video is selling what's left of the games?

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']I'm gonna try to stop by the Grand Parkway store again tomorrow on my way to see my GF so I'll post if there's anything worthy.[/QUOTE]

Definitely keep us posted...that's my Gamestop as well so I'd like to see if there's anything of note.

[quote name='J7.']Can you use your MVP card at closing Game Crazy's where Hollywood Video is selling what's left of the games?[/QUOTE]
I tried to do that at 2 in my area, but they wouldn't take an extra 10% off.

[quote name='dustdust']I tried to do that at 2 in my area, but they wouldn't take an extra 10% off.[/QUOTE]

and I feel that much better for never signing up for the MVP club, I knew the minute I would the place would go under and the card would be useless.

Went to the one in Hazleton, PA. Shitload of movies, most are $5 and under. They still have some PS3 and 360 games, didn't get a good look at them but they were I think 60% off. For Wii, they had a couple of conduit games and one copy of Animal Crossing for 60% off, DS has Disgaea and that Valkyre Chronicle game also some Korg DS games. No good PSP games except for Darkstalkers and Monster Hunter freedom. No good PS2 games either. That's most of the good games I found there, most were meh at best.

In all I walked out with
Bangai-O Spirits (DS, Can't believe I found this, plus it was new and complete)
Rouge Galaxy (PS2 Used)
Bruno (DVD Used)

All for $11.65

So is Hollywood Video liquidating all of their movies/games?

If so, there's still one left in my town (ABQ), so I'll run by there this weekend to see what I can't score. I'd pick up just about any mediocre PS3 game at $5-10.

Hollywood, Game Crazy and Movie Gallery will liquidate their remaining inventory at all stores. I don't know how many times I could possibly say this.

The liquidation company, as far as I know, has been chosen. It's not the same one from other closes, so I don't know how this will go. Liquidation should start sometime within the next week or so, maybe two weeks. I will post if/when it does. If your store is currently liquidating, there should be a huge banner in front of the store and guys with signs by the road. If there aren't any, your store has not begun liquidation yet.

MVP does not stack with liquidation sales.

[quote name='xXwindoverXx']Hey, I live in Frederick,MD too lol
But that sucks bc I liked Game Crazy more than Gamestop :nottalking:[/QUOTE]

Has anyone found out when they're going to start liquidating?

[quote name='chronoserge456']Has anyone found out when they're going to start liquidating?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the store. Mine is liquidating. There was last weekend a guy with a sign saying closing, all dvd's super cheap. Also there is a big ass closing sign in front of the hollywood video and they have special sale only hours.

Um I have like $40 bucks in gift cards for HV/GC and not a location within 20 miles. Any of you guys want to buy these off of me? Are they still accepting them?

[quote name='safire']Um I have like $40 bucks in gift cards for HV/GC and not a location within 20 miles. Any of you guys want to buy these off of me? Are they still accepting them?[/QUOTE]

I do not think any location that is finished renting/started full liquidation takes htem anymore per usual liquidation track records. But if I am in another HV (and find anything left) before they are gone I will ask and maybe we can work something out

My GameCrazy had a bin of 6 games for $10. I got:

Rock Band (360)
NBA 2k10 (360)
Star Ocean First Departure (PSP)
Monster Hunter Freedom unite (PSP)
X-Blades (360)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
DBZ: Burst Limit (360)
Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition (GC)
Astonisha Story (PSP)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (360)
The Bourne Conspiracy (360)
F.E.A.R (360)
Bionic Commando (360)
Afro Samurai (360)

Thanks CAG :)

Columbus, OH update
Just talked to the store on South High, they said they have not heard from their liquadators so nothing is marked down as of yet, but they expect it to happen next week.

Just checked out Killeen, Texas GC. Must have finished inventory because there was alot of papers with numbers on everything. I guess sales may start next week or so.

Bah.....wife has the car but just found out there is a liquidating movie gallery about 20 mins from my house. Guess I will just have to go tomorrow and hope for the best ;)

There is a game crazy about 45 mins or so away and another 45 mins from my moms house(who I have to visit in a week or two) that has not started liquidation yet...debating if the drive is worth the sales. If I can find some big 6 for $10 type sales as other people have mentioned it would totally be worth it.

bread's done
Back