All Game Crazys Are Closing

stonetoad

CAG Veteran
Found this on my local Craigslist.

Bend Game Crazy Closing: First and foremost, a heartfelt and whole hearted "Thank You" to Central Oregon for choosing us for the past 6 years. In approx. two weeks ALL Game Crazy and Hollywood Video stores will be entering liquidation. As the store manager, and employee since (almost) inception till the last day I wanted to thank all the many, many, many people who have been like our extended family. You have made a job a 2nd home. We will miss all of your faces and down to earth kindness. We have always striven to be your "neighborhood" game store and provide you with excellent customer service and I feel we have done a pretty good job. Your loyalty has inspired us to provide you with the best possible experiences when in our store (CoDMW2 Midnight Launch chest flasher, HALO 3 Megaline around the store, Super Smash Bros. Tourneys and many many more). You have made the long waits till midnight launches and the 4AM Black Fridays well worth it. I also thank the many employees who have been with us over the years, the part time seasonals to the full timers who have moved on. We wish to see your faces all one last time before we close that gate for the final time. So come on down, pick up that game you've been wanting or just come down and shoot the breeze with Dan, Cody, Chris or myself. We would love to see you and say thank you and goodbye.

Bend Game Crazy Store Director,
Glenn J.

Bend Game Crazy Shift Leads (and a better group of employees than I could wish for),
Cody J. & Dan H. & Chris M.

P.S. As I'm sure many of you have some questions I'll try to answer what I know here and save our phone (and sanity) from blowing up.

Q. I have deposits on preorders, credit on my account, a gift card to GC and Hollywood. What do I do?
A. All cash deposits can be refunded for cash or used towards a purchase. All credit deposits/trade credits must be used up, credit is not transferable to cash. I recommend using your gift cards as there wont be any other location to use it at.

Q. Are you still taking preorders?
A. No, we will no longer be taking preorders on future titles, nor offering the MVP membership, offering game guard or console service contracts.

Q. What if I purchased one of those things?
A. Preorders see answer to the first question, as for MVP's and game guard I assume those will be unrefundable. In the case of service contracts I am unsure at this time how the company will handle them. I will have more information after my conference call on Monday.

Q. Are you still taking trades?
A. Yep, most definitely, however, we are no longer doing cash for trades. We still guarantee the best trade price in town and if we come in lower we'll top our competitor by 5% as always. But, if it wasn't obvious, you'll want to use that credit same day.

Q. What/When are your liquidation sales?
A. The sales wont start until the liquidation firms finish bidding on the company's assets *apx. 2 weeks. As for what the sales will be I couldn't tell you at this time. However expect by the time they begin some of our stock may have been shipped out, and expect much of the "better stuff" to go fairly quickly, so don't expect the good/decent/rare(er) games to last past the first or second weeks. Moral of the story, best to just come buy it now rather than try to wait for it to hit bottom dollar pricing as it wont be in stock then.

Q. What do you guys have in stock?
A. Honestly, everything up to date including a few Splinter Cell Elite 360 and Bowsers Inside Story DSI bundles. We have a pretty awesome selection of used games right now (I raided one of the Eugene stores that absorbed a lot of product from another closing store a few weeks ago so we have a lot of hot stuff in). A bunch of refurbished Wii's for $150, a ton of refurbished 360's $160-250 and a bunch of new consoles/handhelds as well.

Q. So what now?
A. We are kicking around a few ideas about a Store Closing BBQ when all is said and done and we'd really love to have anyone who has been a regular or has a fond memory to come down and write it down or sign on the store banner. We might also practice moonwalking and juggling and putting a video on YouTube, we'll see. :)

THANK YOU CENTRAL OREGON, YOU'VE MADE IT AWESOME!

Found that the store nearest me still has consoles left. There is a halo edition 360 for 270. Is that a decent price?

[quote name='trailmix10']Found that the store nearest me still has consoles left. There is a halo edition 360 for 270. Is that a decent price?[/QUOTE]

Not a good price, plus they have the old chipset in them. I wouldn't pay $100 buck for one IMO

[quote name='trailmix10']Found that the store nearest me still has consoles left. There is a halo edition 360 for 270. Is that a decent price?[/QUOTE]

Well, I just had to send mine in for an E74 error and it was less than 2 years old from purchase. Plus, new consoles can be had, for what, $150 if you have patience .. so ... I'll add another HELL NO.

[quote name='Mr.Zurkon']What's a Game Crazy? Seriously I've never heard of a game store called that...[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about it now, they're done with LOL. Seriously, though, they're basically just Hollywood Video's game section.

No's way. Avoid it and get a new one w/ the new chipset. Roll the dice on it if it's $100 or less.

I don't know how common this is with other games but I went by Game Crazy and bought a game (Wild Arms for PSP) and the price was mislabeled and it was actually 20-30 percent cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks everyone for responding to my question i had. good thing i didn't buy! it i guess ill just wait till the rumor of slim 360 is true or wait till they hit rock bottom in price. until then i am contempt with my ps3

[quote name='trailmix10']until then i am contempt with my ps3[/QUOTE]

Better trade it in or take a hammer to it, then.

I went to local Game Crazy yesterday and yes they are 25% off new 360.PS3, wii games and used also. This guy brought in a 360 that had the red ring that he bought from game crazy in April. The worker told him ahh i have no cores in stock we will call you when we get them in here.LOL, yeah right the guy is stiffed i highly doubt the store (thats going to be closing in a week or two) is going to get anymore 360 cores.

[quote name='heratio']I don't know how common this is with other games but I went by Game Crazy and bought a game (Wild Arms for PSP) and the price was mislabeled and it was actually 20-30 percent cheaper than I thought it was going to be.[/QUOTE]

You realize the discount is 25% off of the price that's marked, right?

Found that the store nearest me still has consoles left. There is a halo edition 360 for 270. Is that a decent price?

I'll quadruple the "hell no". As others said, old chipset, really high price. Was it new? Surprised a store still has a new one out there! That price doesn't make sense, though. Even if it's listed $299 new, it's 20% off hardware so it'd be $239... are you sure it was $270?

[quote name='Scorch']You realize the discount is 25% off of the price that's marked, right?[/QUOTE]

Yep, the price that was marked on the game was $17 and I got it for $8 so it was marked incorrectly.

yep, wild arms is 9.99 regularly.

the Halo LE 360 is $320 new in the pos (wtf) and with 20% off, it's $256 plus tax. still can't believe the company has new ones in some stores..

Not impressed with my local GC's inventory and prices. I mean 25% off used games isn't really that great considering their going out of business and a lot of their prices aren't very good to begin with. I did pick up Atelier Iris 2 for $6. Almost didn't get it since it was disc only, but oh well. And as far as new games go with all the deals on Amazon/Walmart/GameStop with $10-20 gift cards I didn't see anything that was a must buy. Maybe when it drops to more than 25% but by then the good stuff will probably be gone. I don't think there are many CAGs/bargain hunters who know much about game prices around my area. So anything below retail will probably get bought up quickly.

I was really hoping to get a 250 gb hard drive for the 360 even when the discount was 20 percent but the gamecrazy near me never got those size hard drives since they came out kind of recently.

When the prices dip a little more I will probably snatch up a DS and PSP case and maybe a controller since the store had a lot of those. I'm also waiting to see what they do with those guides since the clerks didn't know if they would be destroyed or sold cheap later.

Man lets just be real on this for some reason I tought this was supposed to be the shit for gamers but this closing is out to be nothing but the bull best buy has been putting out

[quote name='Dante Devil']I can't believe people in my town are buying their games and blurays. Don't they realize their prices aren't that great!?![/QUOTE]

I assume you speak of Hollywood Video? I can't bring myself to buy anything there. I scan everything I pick up with Red Laser (The iPhone app where you scan the bar code and it gives you prices off the web and from local stores) and even with the discount you can often get the blurays new elsewhere for cheaper than the discounted price. These blurays and DVDs you are buying aren't even used; they're whored out. So to charge anything other than rock bottom is ludicrous.

Their games are the same deal, you can buy their whored out titles or go right next door to the game crazy and pay 3 dollars more for a game from someone's personal collection. The Hollywood Video side of the store should have started at 40% at the least.

...kudos to them though because whenever I go in there people are buying shit.

Stopped in HWV/GC Saturday night on my way home from running some errands. Ever thing was a mess, didn't even look though half the stuff. There were some decent looking movies but I refuse to pay $6 for a used to all hell movie that I could get new for a few bucks more.

The Gamecrazy didn't have much left used game wise, still plenty of new stuff though, will prob take another look once stuff drops further.

Did get a sweet Might Thor bobble head for 5$ though.

[quote name='bgame2']Is anyone besides me wondering how much they're charging for Pipe Mania PS2?[/QUOTE]
14.99 before discounts, unless it's marked incorrectly.

Is the next discount level for games only going to be 30% or are they going to get serious about moving these games? I went the day the signs went up and then I went a few days ago and just about every game I am interested in is still there. I have my eye on a bunch of DS games that are still overpriced at 25% off. I won't make a move until 40%.

lol 25% off don't they shut down in a few weeks?

I hate hollywood/gamecrazy so much. I know the prices have nothing to do with them but I still hate them.

[quote name='dbolt']14.99 before discounts, unless it's marked incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

In other words, don't bother. It's a mere $1.99 new and $1.49 used at Gamestop. YMMV as to what stores have copies of course.

I finally stopped in the HQ HWV/GC store (Wilsonville, OR) and they are also at 25% off. I didn't buy anything. If they go to 50% off there may be a few things I'll want, but right now it is pretty pathetic. This had been a great store with really good sales numbers (so they told me) so it was really sad to see it in the half-empty condition it was today.

Popped in there yesterday and picked up Dante's Inferno.
Mostly everything good was gone as far as 360 games go. ( they still had a few copies of Bioshock 2 and FFXIII at full price($59.99 - 25% would be 52 bones)

I had a post in here maybe 4 weeks ago about how the manager told me they'd still be open in a months time. She reiterated that they'll be open till everything is gone..

I'm done tho. They have nothing worth picking up now.

[quote name='EdRyder']^I asked him straight out and he said "Plus tax 52.00 ** and some change) S'why Picked up Dante's[/QUOTE]

Where do you live that they have 15%+ sales tax? It's about 10% here but that's because there's no state income tax.

It looks like quite a few of the games are gone from one of my local HWV. I was pretty amazed when I walked in and saw that an entire wall of PS3 games had been bought.

[quote name='xDerekRx']The last Game Crazy closed in my area.

Bought their Disc Buffing machine and Re-sealing machine (they threw that in).[/QUOTE]

How much did that cost ya?

[quote name='EdRyder']^I asked him straight out and he said "Plus tax 52.00 ** and some change) S'why Picked up Dante's[/QUOTE]
Last time I checked Clarksville's taxes were at 7%, so that employee didn't know math.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']How much did that cost ya?[/QUOTE]

The disc buffer is $300.

I'm officially off of this thread. Just found out that my store is on a different percentage off than everything else and will be closing sooner than other stores. Find out your store's percentage off by calling your local store.

Well... guys, it's been fun.

So i went to visit my closest Gamecrazy yesterday and they already closed. Bummer. There's another one farther down that I'm hoping is maybe holding out, but the store locator does make any mention of it. So yeah... the store in Selden, NY is gone, the one in Ronkonoma is questionable.

Finally made my way to the local GC. I tried to buy a game on the hollywood video side, and a game on the GC side... both sides shrugged their shoulders and said "we can't find your game". Yippee. I won't ramble on, but the guy on the HV side had a bad case of "I'm getting laid off so fuck you", really pissed me off... I'm getting layoff notification this month and I'm not a douche about it so why is he?

Still seemed to be a few good things there though, might have to go back... how's a DSi at 20% off sound to you folks deal-wise?

[quote name='Scorch']I'm officially off of this thread. Just found out that my store is on a different percentage off than everything else and will be closing sooner than other stores. Find out your store's percentage off by calling your local store.

Well... guys, it's been fun.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all you did Scorch. I probably would have bought about 5% of the stuff I got at GC without you.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Last time I checked Clarksville's taxes were at 7%, so that employee didn't know math.[/QUOTE]

Clarksville TN? Nah man, try 9.5+% sales tax.

bread's done
Back