All in one protection ? [Anti Virus,Malware,etc..]

PR0BLEMZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Microsoft released an all in one protection program not too long ago.
Microsoft Security Essential.
Just wondering, is it good enough to keep your computer protected ?
Heres the link btw,
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/

I just got my laptop today and want to keep it as protected as it can be.
Im using firefox with add ons such as WOT, ABP, and NoScript.
But will that protect me from all the adware on the web ?

What do you guys use ?

Im thinking of trying Microsoft Security Essential since it is free. But it sounds too good to be true. A free product from MS that does everything? Hmmm.
I wonder.

If anyone has tried this before, please let me know what you think about it.

Thanks

Myself, I use a couple that each specialize in their own thing.

Avast Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy
MalwareByte Anti Malware
Auslogics Disk Defrag
Ad-Aware

As far as the microsoft security essential, can't say I ever heard of it, so dunno if it would be good or not.

For avast though, it's easily my favorite. Real time protection, and if you somehow stumble upon an infected site, it'll pop up with a warning so you can get out of there safely. Plus, all the programs I listed are free. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Microsoft Security Essential and I have to say its pretty great. It offers decent protection without using too much memory like some of the others. It's definitely worth a try.

[quote name='JStryke']Myself, I use a couple that each specialize in their own thing.

Avast Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy
MalwareByte Anti Malware
Auslogics Disk Defrag
Ad-Aware

As far as the microsoft security essential, can't say I ever heard of it, so dunno if it would be good or not.

For avast though, it's easily my favorite. Real time protection, and if you somehow stumble upon an infected site, it'll pop up with a warning so you can get out of there safely. Plus, all the programs I listed are free. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice. Ill be sure to check out some of those. Thanks !

[quote name='MrFixit66']I use Microsoft Security Essential and I have to say its pretty great. It offers decent protection without using too much memory like some of the others. It's definitely worth a try.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. So it protects you from sites with adware and malware and all that junk ? If so, I might be getting this.
So many to choose from. I might just try all and see which I like best lols.

[quote name='guinaevere']Any input on AVGs free service? http://free.avg.com[/QUOTE]

Their paid program sucks, I can tell you that much.

I'm currently using Norton 2009 Gaming Edition, and it's pretty good. Though once my subscription runs out, I'll be switching to the MS solution.

I thought AVG was decent, but I remember version 7 (I think) had some sort of weird compatibility issue with vista. But in my exp, avast is superior to it.

I've got avast and like it too. I use TuneUps for all of my PC maintenance and optimizing needs but I paid for that one, fairly cheap though.

[quote name='guinaevere']Any input on AVGs free service? http://free.avg.com[/QUOTE]
I used to swear by AVG, but ever since they went to version 8, it's been nothing but bloated garbage, and every time there's a program update it always fails and I end up having to rip the entire thing out, download the entire installation package, and reset everything. I finally gave up on it and just keep the virus definitions up to date until I have the motivation to rip it out for good and try something else.

Im also using Microsoft Security Essentials, quite a nice piece of software. Can't wait until Microsoft makes it mandatory to have it running on Windows. Then, with everyone who uses Windows using a (at least marginally, if nothing else) good AV and anti-spyware program, the Internet should become a safer place for Windows users, and why not, *nix user too.

The thing with Windows security is: if you are careful to not visit suspicious sites like warez and p0rn, all you really need is Windows Firewall.

For all you people who likes security related topics, I'd like to recommend the Security Now! podcast, with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte, @ www.grc.com/security now. They have a iTunes version too. Always a great joy to listen to it, and very informative too.

PS: As a GNU/Linux guy, I can't drop the chance to say: "drop Windows and use Linux!" ;)

Hmm it seems my avast subscription is going to run out and I hate it when it always bothers me to renew. Might try Microsoft Security Essentials than.

I Use The Following On My System Personal In Order Of What I Use
In Order Of Strength / Protection:

Windows Defender
MalwareByte's Anti-Malware
SuperAntiSpyWare

Best fix for hard to remove re-directs in searches
GooredFix

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Tried out Microsoft Security Essentials, so far working very good and make sure you use windows defender as well and keep both up to date.[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm using it (also feel the same) as well but not defender, using Spybot Search & Destroy instead.

bread's done
Back