All six Star Wars coming out on BD - 09/27/11 (Amazon & BN.com pre-order links).

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Hell has officially frozen over:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Link-lazy:
[quote name='From Starwars.com website']
Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."
[/quote]
Amazon links:
Prequel Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMG16U/
Original Trilogy (@ $44.99, $69.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy-Episodes/dp/B000PMLFRA/
Complete Saga (@ $89.99, $139.99 MSRP): http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/

BN.com has the set cheaper, as long as you pay with a VISA card:
[quote name='phantomfriar2002']BN.com has the set for $71 plus tax thanks to a 20% off one-item code for Visa cardholders (R7V9J9N).

If you get cashback from various sites, you can save another $3, so the total was $73 for me shipped after tax. That's a nice savings over the Amazon deal.

I highly doubt you'll be seeing this set lower even on Black Friday. :)
[/QUOTE]

Coupon listed above expires on 02/07/11. Problem is, it may not work:

[quote name='arcane93']Just looked at the "eligibility requirements" for the coupon:

This coupon is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and online Gift Certificates); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of the following products and services: Barnes & Noble Memberships, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates, gift-wrapping, textbooks, video games, digital content (including but not limited to digital books, magazines, and periodicals), NOOK(TM) and related accessories, other hardware and electronics, software, products available for pre-order, products from the Rosetta Stone Series, products available for in-store ship-to-home orders, shipping or handling expenses, or products marked as not eligible for "coupons or promotional discounts;" (iv) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.COM website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.); (v) may not be combined with any other coupon; and (vi) may not be combined with the Educator program discount. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. Void where prohibited by law.
So that would probably be why the pre-orders are being cancelled. Pretty lame of them to just do it without an explanation, though.[/QUOTE]

01/13/11 EDIT: BN.com has been canceling orders left and right without any explanation to why if ordered with the coupon code.

BN.com order links:
Complete Series @ $89.59: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-The-Complete-Saga/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742180/
Original Saga @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Original-Trilogy/Mark-Hamill/e/24543742074/
Prequel Trilogy @ $44.79: http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Star-Wars-Prequel-Trilogy/Ewan-McGregor/e/24543742098/

Last edited by a moderator:
When i called on the phone about cancelling a book, I also asked about the Blu-ray cancellation. Customer service just told me to try again...so think thats what im going to do :) GAME ON B&N!

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Wasn't that Visa card promo code one time use? I wonder if it'll apply you we reorder?[/QUOTE]

I gave it a try. It failed.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Wasn't that Visa card promo code one time use? I wonder if it'll apply you we reorder?[/QUOTE]It's a one-time use code, yes.

so, i get an email, apparently theres not 75 on my card, because they just tried to charge it.. They say as soon as i fix it, it will ship out in 60 minutes...

Well mine was now canceled and I was sent 2 emails telling me it was but not telling me why. So I sent one back asking why and telling them I will not shop from them again. I know they will be really upset with that. Now I'm glad I still have my preorder with amazon.com

[quote name='Xenogears']Well played B&N, well played...they win the game but lose my money[/QUOTE]

Yeah I may have used that code on another order. I don't feel like calling their customer service to get this fixed. Not sure even if it can be fixed. That was a good code from Visa. I was on a trial membership with them. I sent them an e-mail to cancel the trial membership. I used to shop with them years back but stopped because of problems with their customer service. Now I remember why I stopped shopping with them and went to borders. I usually only buy books anyways.

I love how everyone gets all mad at a company when they cancel price mistake orders. As if it is really going to hurt the business to not fulfill orders at a loss from a bunch of people who sit around all day scrounging the internet for price mistakes.. Just take it for what it is, if you luck out, you luck out, if not, forget about it..

I don't think this qualifies as a price mistake. The fine print stated that the code doesn't work on pre-orders. True, B&N should have their system set up to reject the coupon when it's used on pre-orders, but no one should be terribly surprised when it gets cancelled.

On another note, got my pre-order in on Amazon.

[quote name='tranceFusion']I love how everyone gets all mad at a company when they cancel price mistake orders. As if it is really going to hurt the business to not fulfill orders at a loss from a bunch of people who sit around all day scrounging the internet for price mistakes.. Just take it for what it is, if you luck out, you luck out, if not, forget about it..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Man that's a shady move. I canceled my Amazon preorder, I guess I'll have to place it again.[/QUOTE]

What's shady about it? The terms for the coupon were easily available; if you didn't bother to look at them, that's not B&N's problem.

Given that it's pretty rare for coupons -anywhere- to apply to pre-orders, I'm not really surprised.

It's not "shady" but it's definitely careless. Almost every site of reasonable quality just rejects a coupon if it's not valid. That said it's perfectly reasonable for them to be canceling orders, although it might be a wise customer service move to let people use that coupon again.

If the code wasn't supposed to work on pre-orders then make it not work. The code definitely applied and the order went through. Now it's gone and gobbled up a perfectly good code that I could have used on something else. I've never had compelling reasons to shop there before, now I have compelling reasons never to shop there in the future.

Honestly, I'm wondering whether the problem was in their listing for the Star Wars set rather than in their coupon system. I remember at one point looking at it on their site when the coupon first came up and seeing it it listed as "usually available in 2-5 weeks", which struck me as odd. And didn't someone a few pages ago mention getting an email saying that they would ship as soon as they were able to charge his card? If someone (i.e., a minimum-wage data entry employee) didn't properly flag it in the system as a pre-order item, that would explain the system allowing the coupon for it.

I mean really, mistakes happen, you didn't lose anything, move on. Declaring that you'll never shop there again because of something as little as this is just stupid. If you did that with every retailer that ever screwed something up, you'd quickly run out of places to shop.

[quote name='arcane93']Honestly, I'm wondering whether the problem was in their listing for the Star Wars set rather than in their coupon system. I remember at one point looking at it on their site when the coupon first came up and seeing it it listed as "usually available in 2-5 weeks", which struck me as odd. And didn't someone a few pages ago mention getting an email saying that they would ship as soon as they were able to charge his card? If someone (i.e., a minimum-wage data entry employee) didn't properly flag it in the system as a pre-order item, that would explain the system allowing the coupon for it.

I mean really, mistakes happen, you didn't lose anything, move on. Declaring that you'll never shop there again because of something as little as this is just stupid. If you did that with every retailer that ever screwed something up, you'd quickly run out of places to shop.[/QUOTE]Apparently mine was canceled, sans cancellation email. :whistle2:s

When I ordered mine, it showed up as being available as 2-5 weeks, which is why the coupon was usable and the order went through, since it didn't kick it out as a pre-order item.

I'm going to call them to ask them why my order was canceled and why I didn't get a cancellation email, just to hear what they say. Problem is, their CS is overloaded right now because apparently lots of people were buying Nook and Nook Color e-readers, so they're all busy dealing with those issues.

[quote name='jgiovanni']My order is still live as well.[/QUOTE]Wait until end of the day and I bet you it'll get canceled. If not today, then by the end of the week.

[quote name='shrike4242']Apparently mine was canceled, sans cancellation email. :whistle2:s
[/QUOTE]Checked my order after I read this and it was the same deal. Canceled order with no email. Okay then!

[quote name='javeryh']I just checked - I'm still OK... now all I have to do is make myself mental and check 3 times a day for 9 months...[/QUOTE]Pretty much, yes.

[quote name='arcane93']Honestly, I'm wondering whether the problem was in their listing for the Star Wars set rather than in their coupon system. I remember at one point looking at it on their site when the coupon first came up and seeing it it listed as "usually available in 2-5 weeks", which struck me as odd. And didn't someone a few pages ago mention getting an email saying that they would ship as soon as they were able to charge his card? If someone (i.e., a minimum-wage data entry employee) didn't properly flag it in the system as a pre-order item, that would explain the system allowing the coupon for it.

I mean really, mistakes happen, you didn't lose anything, move on. Declaring that you'll never shop there again because of something as little as this is just stupid. If you did that with every retailer that ever screwed something up, you'd quickly run out of places to shop.[/QUOTE]What's stupid about deciding where you want to spend your money due to the experience you've had with them? This is the first sale they've had that has compelled me to try and spend money with them and it was screwed up. If they want my money in the future they will have to have some kind of killer deal to make up for this.

My order is still not cancelled. And it shows that the estimated shipping will be on 1/14, lol.
I'll bet once it gets to 1/14, it will be cancelled.

Oh, look, B&N did send me a cancellation email:

[FONT=verdana, arial][quote name='BN.com email']We apologize, but despite our efforts, we weren't able to fulfill some or all of the items in your order, as noted below. These items have been canceled from your order. [/quote]

:rofl:

Really, that's what they could come up with? I'm calling them for certain now and would love to know how they're going to explain this one.

EDIT: I called them and the rep was beyond useless. He didn't know why the order was canceled and when I asked him why an order was canceled for an item that wasn't available yet, though was still available for pre-order, he said he didn't know either.

The only thing he said is that someone at their corporate office made the decision to cancel the order, though when I asked why it was such a blatantly false reason, he said he didn't know.

I fired their corporate office and asked them why they listed such an incorrect reason to the cancellation. We'll see what I get in response.
[/FONT]

[quote name='shrike4242'][FONT=verdana, arial]Really, that's what they could come up with?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Sounds like a generic automated response for when they're unable to fill an order, probably not something that someone actually wrote specifically for your case.

From that message, it almost sounds like something somewhere in their system still thinks that this is already out . . . In which case, if they tried to order it for immediate delivery, they wouldn't be able to get it, and if it was processed by an automated system (or an unintelligent employee) it would get flagged as unavailable. Maybe because you ordered back when they were still saying "2 to 5 weeks", it got stuck on being able to deliver it in that timeframe?

[quote name='arcane93']Sounds like a generic automated response for when they're unable to fill an order, probably not something that someone actually wrote specifically for your case.

From that message, it almost sounds like something somewhere in their system still thinks that this is already out . . . In which case, if they tried to order it for immediate delivery, they wouldn't be able to get it, and if it was processed by an automated system (or an unintelligent employee) it would get flagged as unavailable. Maybe because you ordered back when they were still saying "2 to 5 weeks", it got stuck on being able to deliver it in that timeframe?[/QUOTE]I kmow why it's been canceled, which is likely due to the coupon used on the order, though that's not what was claimed in the message. And if their CS desk doesn't know why it was canceled, then that's a bigger issue that they're that clueless.

If they just indicated it was the coupon code that was why it was canceled, I wouldn't have reason to complain to them. The fact that their cancellation email doesn't mention it, nor does their CS desk know why it was canceled, that's a completely different issue. I have some issue with them being idiotic and just coming out with the truth.

I mean really, mistakes happen, you didn't lose anything, move on. Declaring that you'll never shop there again because of something as little as this is just stupid. If you did that with every retailer that ever screwed something up, you'd quickly run out of places to shop.[/QUOTE]

This would have been the first thing I bought from them. So even if this was to have shipped chances are would have been the last unless some deal came that was better than Amazon. For me I 90% of the time say that just to see if they will do anything to try and keep me as a customer. The other 10% of the time it was chances are a one time deal anyway.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']What's stupid about deciding where you want to spend your money due to the experience you've had with them? This is the first sale they've had that has compelled me to try and spend money with them and it was screwed up. If they want my money in the future they will have to have some kind of killer deal to make up for this.[/QUOTE]

The point is that B&N knows lots of first timers likely went for this, but they're first timers like you (and me) that are only ordering from B&N because it's a crazy deal, and probably won't order from B&N until the next crazy deal (on which they would also be losing money). So they're not "losing a valuable customer" if they piss you off since you weren't going to be a valuable (i.e. repeat) customer anyway, you'd only be back for the next huge discount, and in the meantime you'll do your "regular" shopping at Amazon or wherever else you normally buy.

So if you decide to sit on the sidelines the next time one of these deals comes along, it's no loss to B&N. More likely than not shoppers like you (and me) will be back to order again the next time something like this happens, and we'll hope they don't cancel it then!

[quote name='dfo']The point is that B&N knows lots of first timers likely went for this, but they're first timers like you (and me) that are only ordering from B&N because it's a crazy deal, and probably won't order from B&N until the next crazy deal (on which they would also be losing money). So they're not "losing a valuable customer" if they piss you off since you weren't going to be a valuable (i.e. repeat) customer anyway, you'd only be back for the next huge discount, and in the meantime you'll do your "regular" shopping at Amazon or wherever else you normally buy.

So if you decide to sit on the sidelines the next time one of these deals comes along, it's no loss to B&N. More likely than not shoppers like you (and me) will be back to order again the next time something like this happens, and we'll hope they don't cancel it then![/QUOTE]

This is 100% accurate.

[quote name='ZForce915']This is 100% accurate.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in the primarily B&M days I would get irate if a store would have something mismarked or advertise a sale price and then try to not honor it. To me, that's false advertising.

These days, we have CAG and slickdeals and a whole crapload of people sitting around just waiting for someone to slip up, and then hundreds or thousands of people pounce. That isn't really fair to a business trying to survive. People shouldn't have a sense of entitlement to be given bulk handouts from an obvious mistake that only takes an instant to spread around the globe.

So if you decide to sit on the sidelines the next time one of these deals comes along, it's no loss to B&N. More likely than not shoppers like you (and me) will be back to order again the next time something like this happens, and we'll hope they don't cancel it then!

I completely agree. Pricing errors happen, there are hungry consumers who lurk around Slick Deals and elsewhere now ready to pounce on any deal (real or unintended) that happens, so when the plug gets pulled, it's no skin off my back. Took a few minutes or less to order, then it's canceled -- no big deal really. I'll be ready to pull the trigger again, and hopefully the next time it'll work. I think ultimately I've made off a lot better than been frustrated by the "deals" I've been involved with, so a cancellation at a major retailer isn't going to be nearly enough to stop me from jumping in the next time, fingers crossed that it'll work out!

I agree 100%.

I mean yeah, it sucks to have order's canceled, and it sucks that the customer service is apparently clueless.

But mistakes happen, and in this case the coupon is clearly not eligible from the fine print. So they aren't screwing anyone. They just dropped the ball by not having the system disallow the coupon on a pre-order, and from not having a good customer service response from a PR standpoint.

Today's environment really sucks for businesses. I'd hate to be someone who's livelihood depended on selling products to customers in today's market with sites like this and Slickdeals etc. and all the entitlement many consumers feel to have some right to buy things from stores at prices that are probably a loss to them etc.

I mean I like a good deal as much as the next guy. But I don't expect companies to honor price mistakes, coupons that the system allowed that clearly aren't eligible from the fine print etc.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']If the code wasn't supposed to work on pre-orders then make it not work. The code definitely applied and the order went through. Now it's gone and gobbled up a perfectly good code that I could have used on something else. I've never had compelling reasons to shop there before, now I have compelling reasons never to shop there in the future.[/QUOTE]

If was your fault for not reading the fine print man. Honestly, people never read fine print, EUA, TOS, etc. (I almost never do myself) and you could be signing your life away. And you want to fault them for your negligence in reading? :lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']I agree 100%.

I mean yeah, it sucks to have order's canceled, and it sucks that the customer service is apparently clueless.

But mistakes happen, and in this case the coupon is clearly not eligible from the fine print. So they aren't screwing anyone. They just dropped the ball by not having the system disallow the coupon on a pre-order, and from not having a good customer service response from a PR standpoint.

Today's environment really sucks for businesses. I'd hate to be someone who's livelihood depended on selling products to customers in today's market with sites like this and Slickdeals etc. and all the entitlement many consumers feel to have some right to buy things from stores at prices that are probably a loss to them etc.

I mean I like a good deal as much as the next guy. But I don't expect companies to honor price mistakes, coupons that the system allowed that clearly aren't eligible from the fine print etc.[/QUOTE]I know why my orders and the other orders were canceled. That's something I can figure out, though when their CS is more than clueless to why and just passes it off as a "duh, we don't know", it doesn't help their CS look competent for fixing issues when there is a real problem that needs their assistance.

If they had explained why in their cancellation emails, that would be the end of my conversation with them. And that's why I fired off an email to them, since they didn't give me an explanation to why it was canceled, and I'd like to them to explain why that was the case.

I know it's not going to get my order reinstated, though I think it'll go a way's to fixing an obvious "we're clueless, go talk to our corporate office" mentality they're showing in this situation.

Oh I know. Like I said, it sucks that the CS is clueless. They definitely lose some PR points over that.

I just think some over-react by swearing off shopping from them in the future over having an order canceled.

Now if you want to swear off ordering them because CS is clueless, that's more legit as it doesn't inspire confidence that they'll be helpful if you have issues in the future with an order not showing up, or being damaged, or needing returned etc. Which is why it's so bad from a PR standpoint.

I just hate when people jump all over companies for canceling orders after pricing mistakes etc.--so I wasn't directed at you as you've only complained about the CS being clueless.

My order is still alive apparently, but I wont be shocked if its canceled like many others here.

Edit: canceled

So I am going to go ahead and say that I am in the clear...my estimated ship date (Jan. 14) came and went, and my order still says Not Yet Shipped. I think that they would have had time to recognize and cancel it if they were going to at this point. (Knock on wood), but hopefully they don't notice and keep my order alive!

[quote name='shrike4242'][FONT=verdana, arial]I fired their corporate office and asked them why they listed such an incorrect reason to the cancellation. We'll see what I get in response. [/FONT]
[/QUOTE]

Oh how I wanted this to be more than just a typo, lol. They actually sent me two cancelation emails haha, as if one wasn't enough. IMO it's bad form to cancel an order without a valid explanation (mine was a form letter for when they cannot obtain a backordered item). And yes it isn't their fault (aka they covered their ass in the fine print that no one save the vocal Internet minority actually takes the time to read), but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled with how they handle these sort of things. No need to blow a gasket over it of course, but it does make me remember why Amazon gets most of my online business.

I sent an email and have yet to hear anything about it. I don't see them sending an email telling me why it was canceled.

[quote name='Wargamer']If was your fault for not reading the fine print man. Honestly, people never read fine print, EUA, TOS, etc. (I almost never do myself) and you could be signing your life away. And you want to fault them for your negligence in reading? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I can't recall having a coupon code actually go through for an ineligible item, then having it unceremoniously canceled never to been seen again, with any other site I've ever shopped with. Pretty much anything else I had to say on the subject has already been covered in the past couple of pages.

The poor handling of this situation is what has really soured them for me. And while this provides compelling reason for me not to buy from them, I'm still a CAG. I'm willing to swallow my pride if there is a good deal to be had. Heck I'll still go into Best Buy or Gamestop for a deal, regardless of how earnestly they seem to try to make me never want to spend money there in the future.

I don't get it. Is it coming out sooner or later?
Wasn't the date early late Aug. / Sept. and now Amazon is celebrating a delay by sending me an email? Those jerks.

I'm not canceling my order or swearing off never buying from Amazon again, I just find it weird that they seem proud and are gloating this date now.

Maybe it all boils down to me feeling a little too good tonight and everything else is acting like they want to ruin my night. Phooey on that! Ain't never gonna knock me down!

But I get back up again.

Shit.

Drunk-posting after drunk-checking-my-email. Fun!

I just received an email from Amazon stating my order has been upgraded to RDD free of charge and to expect it on 9/27/11.

I was sent an email telling me the estimated arrival date is october 3 to october 7 for my order. So not to far off from the day it comes out. Wont be able to watch them till the weekend anyway.

bread's done
Back