All these good movies I've never seen... Suggest more.

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
I've got chills. This movie is haunting, its brutal, its amazing. Screw symbolism, metaphor, screw humor. This movie just chills you to the depths of your soul. It cuts you deep. It hurts. Holy crap. Go see it now, rent it, steal it... whatever. You've gotta see this movie.

EDIT (the night after): The awesome movies keep on coming. I saw Boondock Saints exactly 24 hours after Requiem for a Dream. Craziness. such good damn movies. I wanna be a Catholic hitman when I grow up.

So recommend some more good movies I probably haven't seen. I'm already planning on seeing Being John Malkovich... I've seen all of Quentin's work (and love it for the most part...) Whatelse is there...

I saw it in theaters based on reviews. It was amazing, but even after buying the DVD I can't bring myself to watch it again. It's simply way too depressing.

Dumbass MPAA wanted to give it a NC17. They released it unrated. This should have been mandatory viewing for all high schoolers, especially in urban areas where drug is a serious problem.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']it's kinda overrated I watched it with a chick I slept with a couple years ago[/quote]

I agree definately overrated. By the way, Is'nt beastiality a punishable crime in your state? :D

[quote name='snotknocker']By the way, Is'nt beastiality a punishable crime in your state? :D[/quote]

Between a horse and a chick? Probably not. ;)

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']it's kinda overrated I watched it with a chick I slept with a couple years ago[/quote]

Were you drugged up?

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='snotknocker']By the way, Is'nt beastiality a punishable crime in your state? :D[/quote]

Between a horse and a chick? Probably not. ;)[/quote]

It's Michigan, so long as they kept it in the upper peninsula.

[quote name='godhatesjustyou']Memento is really good.[/quote]

You are correct. That is a great movie. Damn Carrie Ann Moss. Gotta remember... gotta remember....

This isn't directed at any CAGs, this is just a rant:

Maybe it's the film geek in me, but I hate it when people act like Tarantino is a god. His movies are entertaining, I'll give him that. But they aren't really "Cinema".

I was guilty of this also before i started watching movies, but everything he does has been done BETTER by other Directors in the past. History of Cinema should be a required class in high school so people don't confuse "Popcorn Movie" Directors with real artists.

Okay, so I've got Kids and Trainspotting. I've already seen American Beauty. Oh yeah... gotta see Snatch... I've already seen Lock Stock and two smoking barrels.

kaji: I in no way think the man is a "god" of cinema. His movies just have a sense of style and slickness that I enjoy.

EDIT: And Suicide Kings. So...
Snatch
Kids
Trainspotting
Suicide Kings

Anything foreign? I loved City of God and Hero... so I have no aversion to subtitles. I've gotta see some of the Kitano Takeshi movies (first up is going to be Zatoitchi) Whic for some odd reason reminds me. Amelie... gotta see that movie too...

[quote name='pumbaa']Okay, so I've got Kids and Trainspotting. I've already seen American Beauty. Oh yeah... gotta see Snatch... I've already seen Lock Stock and two smoking barrels.

kaji: I in no way think the man is a "god" of cinema. His movies just have a sense of style and slickness that I enjoy.

Snatch
Kids
Trainspotting
Suicide Kings

Anything foreign? I loved City of God and Hero... so I have no aversion to subtitles. I've gotta see some of the Kitano Takeshi movies (first up is going to be Zatoitchi) Whic for some odd reason reminds me. Amelie... gotta see that movie too...[/quote]

If you liked Hero, you might like House of Flying Daggers

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='pumbaa']Okay, so I've got Kids and Trainspotting. I've already seen American Beauty. Oh yeah... gotta see Snatch... I've already seen Lock Stock and two smoking barrels.

Snatch
Kids
Trainspotting
Suicide Kings

Anything foreign? I loved City of God and Hero... so I have no aversion to subtitles. I've gotta see some of the Kitano Takeshi movies (first up is going to be Zatoitchi) Whic for some odd reason reminds me. Amelie... gotta see that movie too...[/quote]

If you liked Hero, you might like House of Flying Daggers[/quote]

But I hated Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon... so which one is that closer to?

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='pumbaa']Okay, so I've got Kids and Trainspotting. I've already seen American Beauty. Oh yeah... gotta see Snatch... I've already seen Lock Stock and two smoking barrels.

Snatch
Kids
Trainspotting
Suicide Kings

If you liked Hero, you might like House of Flying Daggers[/quote]

But I hated Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon... so which one is that closer to?[/quote]

I haven't seen Hero, but the friend I saw I House of Flying Daggers with saw them both and said they were similar. I loved Crouching Tiger and didn't like House of Flying Daggers all that much, so that might help?

If you liked "being john malcovich" you should watch "adaptation" and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind". I also recommend "clockwork orange" (favorite movie all time).

Searching for Bobby Fischer

Not at all like most of what's been mentioned so far, but still just a really great movie.

Butterfly Effect is a must-see movie imo. That one will really stick with you. I'd also recommend Dark City as something that's really different - film noire/sci-fi.

I didn't like Kids that much.

I'd recommend anything directed by David Fincher and David Cronenberg. Both are dark, visual directors whose styles bear some resemblence to Darren Aranofsky, who directed Requiem.

Fincher:
Alien 3
Se7en
The Game
Fight Club
Panic Room (this one didn't do much for me)

Cronenberg (he's done a ton, I recommend these):
Naked Lunch
Dead Ringers
eXistenZ
The Dead Zone
M. Butterfly
Spider
Scanners
Videodrome

[quote name='Danimal']Searching for Bobby Fischer

Not at all like most of what's been mentioned so far, but still just a really great movie.[/quote]

I could not agree more. Great movie.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Please tell me you've seen Fight Club...[/quote]

GOD yes... I mean seriously...

[quote name='argyle']Butterfly Effect is a must-see movie imo. That one will really stick with you. I'd also recommend Dark City as something that's really different - film noire/sci-fi.[/quote]

Yeah, just watch the director's cut, not the theatrical version. Much better.

I'm not sure why Butterfly Effect got such poor reviews. I thought it was a great flick, definitely something you will remember. I've only seen the "Director's Cut" on DVD, and from what I've read, the ending is totally different from the original release.

Memento, though it may have already been mentioned.

The Seven Samurai. Good God that is a great movie. A clasic really. Hence it's Critereon Collection status.

[quote name='davidmt']I'm not sure why Butterfly Effect got such poor reviews. I thought it was a great flick, definitely something you will remember. I've only seen the "Director's Cut" on DVD, and from what I've read, the ending is totally different from the original release.[/quote]

Yes, the theatrical release has everything work out just fine, and everyone goes on about their lives. They actually had quite a few ways they could've gone with the ending, but for the theatrical cut, they wanted the "safe" ending. Oy.

Maria Full of Grace was good if subtitles are okay. I recently saw Garden State, and really liked it. I'd also reccomend Killing Zoe, Another Day in Paradise (in the same vein as Requiem but maybe not as depressing), and City of the Lost Children is also good.

bread's done
Back