Alleged Wii/Zelda info from EGM(including pricing), Update: info removed from website

Ikohn4ever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Reliable NeoGAF poster koam has apparently grabbed ahold of the latest EGM, which spills the beans on some great Wii details - but this IS the Internet, so as usual, please take the news with a gigantic grain of salt. You know the drill by now. The general recap of the information said, however is:

$249 Price tag
Virtual Console (we knew this)
3d Controlle (we knew this)
ALWAYS online (console is always online, even when OFF)
Built in speaker on the controller
-No improved graphics on Virtual Console (as in, they aren’t redoing the models, doesn’t talk about framerates and such).
-TG16 will have it’s 1st party games out at launch, 3rd party will come later as demand increases.
-Estimated prices for the VC are “a few dollars for NES, $5 for SNES and $10 for N64″
-VC games are pro-scan enabled.
-$250 “seems appropriate”
-More 3rd party exclusives than the Cube

Zelda information:

-Zelda is 80% complete, delay was for graphic tweaks, wii functions and because they want the game to be measured on a scale of 1 to 120 instead of 1 to 100.
-NO SWINGING THE CONTROLLER for the sword, you just press a button. There are some cases where you will swing though. Reason = you’ll get tired too fast
-Controller does sound effects
-Widescreen on the REV only!
-Navi is only when you play on the REV.
-Something with online is planned but no battle mode.
-More dungeons than OOT already
-More items too

http://4colorrebellion.com/

the site is pretty reliable, i dont know what to think with 250 price tag, seems a lil high

EDIT:Well they removed it from their site, not sure what that means could have been an egm thing or it was fake

[quote name='rabbitt']How is $250 too high? The 360 is $400.[/QUOTE]

The 360 is way more powerful and has full HD capablilies. Also the core is only $300.

$250 is perfect price point I think, it's fair. I mean, did you really expect the Revolution cost around the DS's original price range? Like the Rabbitt said the Xbox 360 is $400, and the PS3 might be more than that.

Anyway, some really good news in there. Widescreen support, cheap VC games, progressive scan, more 3rd party exclusives, Zelda's going to be awesome. Also, the other great news, Dragon Quest, more Square games. I'm very excited!

If this thing is $250, does it come with a memory card or have some kind of save device built in? Otherwise this is only $50 cheaper than a core 360. Seems high if I'm going to have to buy a memory card as well.

[quote name='shipwreck']If this thing is $250, does it come with a memory card or have some kind of save device built in? Otherwise this is only $50 cheaper than a core 360. Seems high if I'm going to have to buy a memory card as well.[/quote]

That was my point... A $50 difference between a 360 and a Wii isn't going to make the Wii a huge seller. If they come in at $200 or less it could make a difference but there are so many unknowns - how many controllers will it ship with? Will a game come loaded in the flash memory? Will there be a pack-in?

I really think they might hit $150 for a bare bones system. It is supposedly not that much different than the Gamecube and they are going to be selling those for $70.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']$250 is perfect price point I think, it's fair. I mean, did you really expect the Revolution cost around the DS's original price range? Like the Rabbitt said the Xbox 360 is $400, and the PS3 might be more than that.

Anyway, some really good news in there. Widescreen support, cheap VC games, progressive scan, more 3rd party exclusives, Zelda's going to be awesome. Also, the other great news, Dragon Quest, more Square games. I'm very excited![/QUOTE]
The $400 360 is the one that gives you HD cables and a game save storage device. So it isn't really fair to compare that to the Wii because the Wii won't be HD-compatible and it doesn't seem as if the $250 will include a memory card for game saves. The core $300 360 system is a much more fair comparison.

[quote name='shipwreck']If this thing is $250, does it come with a memory card or have some kind of save device built in? Otherwise this is only $50 cheaper than a core 360. Seems high if I'm going to have to buy a memory card as well.[/QUOTE]

But if you get a core 360, you'll need a memory card for that, and aren't those $40? So technically, a core is $340, unless you never want to save your game.

I thought it's been confirmed since E3 2005 that the Wii will come with 512MB of built in flash ram (with slots for optional expansion).

[quote name='Roufuss']But if you get a core 360, you'll need a memory card for that, and aren't those $40? So technically, a core is $340, unless you never want to save your game.[/QUOTE]

That's why I was asking if the Wii comes with something to save your games for that $250. If it does, the price isn't terrible, but if you need to buy a memory card, that's getting up there in price.

I thought it's been confirmed since E3 2005 that the Wii will come with 512MB of built in flash ram (with slots for optional expansion).

Okay, if that's true, the $250 isn't too bad. Now if Joe Consumer will actually be able to tell the difference between a $250 Wii and a $300 Xbox 360 Core, that will be the question.

The numbers all go to 12. Look, right across the board, 12, 12, 12 and...

Well, it's two better, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your games. Where can you go from there? Where?

[quote name='botticus']"$250 seems appropriate"?[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above, this was just speculative. Even tomorrow, I wouldn't hold your breath for a price announcement. They probably just think "Well, I'd pay $250 for this". Nintendo didn't drop that bomb yet, not to EGM or anyone else.

It's disappointing, though, that Metroid Prime 3 won't be at launch. I guess I'll have to make due with the two other blockbuster franchises plus Zelda's Wii capabilities...

[quote name='shipwreck']Okay, if that's true, the $250 isn't too bad. Now if Joe Consumer will actually be able to tell the difference between a $250 Wii and a $300 Xbox 360 Core, that will be the question.[/QUOTE]

That is true. Nintendo mentioned that there would be 512 MB of memory built into the console, with 1 or 2 (don't remember precisely) expansion ports for additional SD memory.

I call bs on the pricepoint. I wasn't expecting it to be $100. That'd be less than the DS and could do a lot more. Nintendo aren't idiots. I also didn't expect it at $150 though that would've been nice because it would be an easy pricepoint where people could pick that up and a couple of games rather than the 360 or the ps3. I had expected a $200 pricepoint for the innovations and the virual console.

I would expect this to be a type of viral marketing where they 'advertise' the price and then at E3, they unveil it to be $200.

I seem to remember that nintendo has never launched a console at more or less than 199$.
So i too call speculative bs on EGM. I usually read EGM for laughs.

cause it sucks...

If true, takes a lot of steam out of the Wii frentzy. I was really looking forward to this system and working on it, but $250 is definitely a bit high for a system running on slightly upgraded GCN graphics. Think about, a GCN is what 99 now, so a 150 upgrade, even with all the R&D and the controller is a bit high. I was also hoping for instant free VC games. WOuld have been an instant selller for me. Also, swinging the controller in Zelda was the entire point. Who cares if it makes you tired. DDR makes me tired, but I still play the hell out of it. Swinging a fucking controller like a sword would have just been cool.

I hope the price isn't $249. They should be able to make money with the online service, so why jack the price $49 higher than it needs to be. If this turns out to be true, I'll stick with my $99 Cube and my $99 PS2 until they drop it.

$250 for a console with specs similar to the Xbox 1 is way too much $150-200 would be much better.
If it was $250 with an extra controller and a game, it wouldn't be that bad.

Perhaps that rumor floating around that if you bought 4-5 games you would get a system might have some truth to it. It would definitely work out in this case and I could see that as a feasable option to buying the system. As it stands now, though, this price is just a bit too high to merit a purchase.

Like everyone, I don't like the idea of a $249 price tag. I don't think that's accurate, if Nintendo's new philosophy is to broaden gaming and attract non-gamers, that price point would go completely against it.

The prices for the virtual console seem pretty fair to me, that's less than you'd pay in most cases trying to find them in a store.

"Built in speaker on the controller"

That seems like an interesting idea. I guess we'll find out if it's true. If it is, that could have some interesting possibilities perhaps. I don't know, seems a little strange to me, but who knows.

A $200 price point would be excellent for them. Being able to say they're 1/3 the cost of PS3 and 1/2 of an xbox would be a big selling point.

Frankly, I call bullshit on the whole thing. Unless the TIME article was horribly written, he was sword fighting in Zelda. Unless by sword fighting he meant button-pressing.
Now I’m Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish.

And anything over $200 will sadly make me wait, unless it has all the extras (second controller w/ nunchuk, GC shell, etc) so it's pretty much $250 for everything you need to start gaming.

bread's done
Back