Always Buy Console PrP's At bestbuy stores....

Ivanhoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just fyi

There are PRP or Product Replacement Plans At bestbuy.

They send you a voucher in the amount you spent Plus Tax Minus the plan price.

300 =29.99
200 = 19.99
149-199 15.99
100-149 = 12.99 (i think)

I have bought 3 Ps2's and have used three of these prps on them.
I bought 2 ps2s and plans when they were 299.99

I then was able to get around 642.00 in a voucher for bestbuy
and bought a new ps2 for 179.99 + another plan for 19.99

Anything can be wrong with your system. Freezing up? Just stoped working? Power surges etc etc.

This is probably something no one buys because a lot of the times they try to pressure u into the sale. In this case. The actual plan is well worth it.

Im doing the same thing for the ps3 and xbx2 in late 05
They are really great because u get the full price of these systems even if they have had a price drop in 2 years that the plan covers you for.

Dont get stuck with a 5 year old pos ps1 (like i had years ago) that hardly ever worked and spent 300 for.

I should add the whole process is pretty easy too.
You talk to a guy on the phone who takes all your info down and asks what the problem is (you can actually make up the problem i dont think they bother actually checking it out)

2 out of the 3 i have done were perfectly fine . i just wanted the voucher.

screw that. if your console breaks just buy a new one, swap the serial numbers, and return the broken one. I have done this with genesis, psx, dreamcast, ps2 and xbox.

[quote name='irc_email']screw that. if your console breaks just buy a new one, swap the serial numbers, and return the broken one. I have done this with genesis, psx, dreamcast, ps2 and xbox.[/quote]

See...that's illegal, though. The first poster's method isn't. He wins.

Ive never had a single problem with any system Ive ever had, besides 2 Disk Read errors on my PS2 and occasional freezing on Morrowind GotY Edition on my Xbox I bought in August.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='irc_email']screw that. if your console breaks just buy a new one, swap the serial numbers, and return the broken one. I have done this with genesis, psx, dreamcast, ps2 and xbox.[/quote]

See...that's illegal, though. The first poster's method isn't. He wins.[/quote]

No question about it, it certainly is illegal. I don't copy music cds, dvds, or games. I don't buy stuff at one store and return it for more credit at another. But I certainly have a will swap a broken console that I have taken care of and spent hundreds of dollars for software and accessories.

or, just buy your console at costco.. i was pleasantly suprised when i took my xbox back (it was getting read errors from it's thompson drive) after over a year.. and the warranty was no longer valid.

they gave me a brand-new bundle.. *plus* $30 (the difference in price from my original purchase, and the shelf price then)

i was amazed, and that's just their policy.. no need to figure out a shady little scam.

i'm a huge costco fan.. i buy any big ticket items there, if i can. i only wish they carried sony wegas.

I believe in PrP's if the technology is still new. Like when the PS2 or the XBOX first came out. But if they have been around for about 6 months to 1 year, don't waste your money. 3 of my friends bought the xbox immediately when they came out. It has those thompson DVD drives. All of them had to replace either the whole xbox or buy a new dvd drive. I bought mine maybe 1 year after they got theirs and it is still kickin'.

And since the technology is still new, it will be expensive. And by the time the item breaks down, the price might have dropped a bit, so just like the what the author said, get the voucher and get a new one for a fraction of the original price. i.e. PS2 and XBOX

Im doing the same thing for the ps3 and xbx2 in late 05
They are really great because u get the full price of these systems even if they have had a price drop in 2 years that the plan covers you for.

I know I will not be one to hurry up and get a new system at release. I am happy with my Xbox at this time, and have to many games yet to beat. With so many more new titles comming out, I will just add to my unbeaten collection. I don't see my-self getting a new systen until 2007 if the new consoles are releaded in 2005.

Even with older systems like the now 179 xboxes and ps2's

Get the prp and redeem it 2 weeks before ps3 and xbx3 release dates.

The bestbuy Prp's are 2 years .

My brother bought a xbox day 1 and it broke down 2 months later
MS wanted 179 to fix it.

He exchanged it at EB for a brand new system only because he is friends with the people there and they let him exchange it so he lucked out.

even my 5 year old ps1 "worked" but u had to play it upside down or on its side.

Before that i have never had problems with my systems.

But then again i think its due to DRE's now that these systems are now cd/dvd players.

Its well worth it. a lot of times i see people buying systems and no one bothers to talk to them about it.
It may seem like they are trying to push the sale of them (they are actually)

But they get no commision and its WORTH it. Unlike the computer PsP's which i wouldnt pay 10cents for since i know all about computers.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']My brother bought a xbox day 1 and it broke down 2 months later
MS wanted 179 to fix it.[/quote]

What happened to the warranty? Did he open it up and try and fix it himself??

The prp deal is pretty good for some items at Best Buy, including systems and controllers. The PRPs are good for 2 years and are $29.99 for X-Box and PS2 and only $9.99 for Gamecube and Game Boy Advance. Controller PRPs are $5.99. Some Best Buys (including the one I work at) will take your product back in-store and give you the voucher. They don't even expect them. I have to sell these things, and believe me, we get no compensation for selling them.

[quote name='bfg9k'][quote name='Ivanhoe']My brother bought a xbox day 1 and it broke down 2 months later
MS wanted 179 to fix it.[/quote]

What happened to the warranty? Did he open it up and try and fix it himself??[/quote]

sounds iffy to me, too. i've also heard many horror stories about people thinking they'd be covered by best buy's psp, but when it comes down to it, they have a ton of loopholes. check out http://www.bestbuysux.org/

also, keep in mind Ivanhoe is a best buy employee.

.... unless im wrong, you guys are missing the point.

But prp... "Say" you have a busted ps2/xbox/cube, get voucher in mail to buy "another" p/x/c...right?

only thing that i could see being a problem, is if you need to actually send the unit back

No idea. Like i said it was his. I think the actual problem was the harddrive or somthing. But that was one of the first tims i heard of xboxs having any problems unlike the daily problems about ps2's and dre's. (which sony actually fixes for free now dunno if they did back then or not)

I had bought my ps2's before i worked there.
We actually pay about 50% of the actual cost of a prp price.
So i would only have to pay about 15bucks for a 299 ps2 prp. instead of the 29.99.

Either way it is well worth it. Im only posting this because i just called today to take advantage of my prp on my new ps2 online pack ps2.
I dont ever use it for online. and i want the new dvd+-r/rw ps2 as well.

So im going to just replace it with a new model one without the network adapter.

Didnt see any posts about it here so figured id post.
As i do see tons of people say no to Psp's (service plans) Which i admit i wouldnt pay for them either. they are a waste of money in Most cases and the employees are just trying to make the sale (usually at my store they have daily rewards for top psp seller. free 50-100 dollars, sometimes more)

But KEEP YOUR RECEIPT.
I had a prp on my gamecube i bought it for 149.99 months ago and i wanted to get my voucher but i couldnt find the receipt (which has the PrP #) And without that i was screwed. :(

The voucher is Store credit .
You can use it on ANYTHING in the store No exp date.

Busted or not. Still works.

ok...what im trying to say....

Buy ps2. Get prp.

8 months later you call and say its got dre's all the time.

do they ask you to send that broken one and THEN send you the voucher...OR do you keep your "broken" ps2 and get the voucher as well?

they mail u out a prepaid postage and a sticker with a rma number.

You pack up your ps2 and ship it out.

out of all the people i work with and friends who have done this multiple times there has never been a case of them actually checking and trying to return u your same ps2 "fixed" .

The whole purpse of the plan is for Replacement not servicing.
I.e PrP product replacement plan compared to PsP product service plan

They do sell them for lots of other things too.

Sounds like a good deal for a PC then...Buy a nice PC system, 1.5 years later, send it back, get a voucher, and go out and get a newer PC system with the voucher...free upgrade.

[quote name='irc_email']
No question about it, it certainly is illegal. I don't copy music cds, dvds, or games. I don't buy stuff at one store and return it for more credit at another. But I certainly have a will swap a broken console that I have taken care of and spent hundreds of dollars for software and accessories.[/quote]

You do realize that talking about illegal activities is not allowed on this site right? You're new, but CheapyD doesn't want this to be "How I scammed/stole/ripped off" Gamer.

So basically what you are saying is you should do this when the console is new because eventually when the price drops you get the full original value of the console back as a voucher?

Yea its much bettter when the console just comes out
a 299 ps2 drops to 199 within 2 years
you get 321ish back and buy a new ps2 (or anything u want )

If you bought a ps2 today for 179 its still a good deal to buy the prp because youll get your money back as long as u redeem your plan within 2years then u spendd that 179+tax on anything u want.

I know most people dont bother with buying extra plans. But PrP's are different.

EB has the same type of thing. My brother bought a prp on his GBA-sp but im not sure whats all involved in there plan.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']So basically what you are saying is you should do this when the console is new because eventually when the price drops you get the full original value of the console back as a voucher?[/quote]

If your console breaks, yes.

Okay the Xbox warranty sucks as it is only 90 days. But I still do not understand why the first guy didn't get it fixed for free since he only had it for 60 days. The Nintendo factory warranty is 1 year! That is why Best Buys warranty is so cheap. Nintendo will fix it for free for 1 year! I got the dreaded DRE 11 months after getting mine at launch. Nintendo paid for shipping and everything. I was quite impressed by their service. I do not own the PS2 so I cannot comment on that. My impression is warranties are nothing but a cash cow for the business. It is designed to strike fear in the consumer because it is going to break! When in reality only a small fraction of the systems actually have problems. If there is a huge number of problems then the company gets sued or they fix them all for free.

The plans also cover anything that could go wrong with the controller that comes with the system. It covers anything that's included in the box.

Yup and instead of getting a "fixed" gamecube you could of gotten a brand new one instead. With 100 bucks extra due to price drop from 199 to 99.99

My brothers xbox may have been 3 months old. Im not 100% on the date.
I just know it wasnt to long after the retail launch and him calling ms and being pissed.

The EB hooked him up.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Yup and instead of getting a "fixed" gamecube you could of gotten a brand new one instead. With 100 bucks extra due to price drop from 199 to 99.99

My brothers xbox may have been 3 months old. Im not 100% on the date.
I just know it wasnt to long after the retail launch and him calling ms and being pissed.

The EB hooked him up.[/quote]

^^^Actually they fixed "my" gamecube and shipped it back within the week. So, I got the same system back. Plus I did not have to pay $20 or $30 for warranty plan. And shipping and all those other costs. You can debate this all day but basically Best Buy sells the product replacement plan because it makes them profit! Mailing a working system to be replaced just to make money is a scam and I expect Best Buy will return your working system in the future and charge YOU for the shipping and time wasted.

there is no shipping costs involved. they send u a prepaid postage stamp.
You do have to put the ps2 in a box though.

Every ps2 i have played has frozen up at least 1 time on me during a game or a save.

Thats all that has to happen to be replaced.

Me personally dont consider my ps2 broken if it freezes up sometimes.
But the plan does. And thats what counts.

Yes the prp and psp is all profit to bestbuy. and that doesnt change anything about the great deal a prp is.

[quote name='moleque']or, just buy your console at costco.. i was pleasantly suprised when i took my xbox back (it was getting read errors from it's thompson drive) after over a year.. and the warranty was no longer valid.

they gave me a brand-new bundle.. *plus* $30 (the difference in price from my original purchase, and the shelf price then)

i was amazed, and that's just their policy.. no need to figure out a shady little scam.

i'm a huge costco fan.. i buy any big ticket items there, if i can. i only wish they carried sony wegas.[/quote]

I agree. Costco's return policy blows away the crap you get when you try to take something back at Best Buy or Target, for example. Perhaps it's because you have to buy a membership just to get in there, so there's less scammers.

[quote name='Indiana']Okay the Xbox warranty sucks as it is only 90 days. But I still do not understand why the first guy didn't get it fixed for free since he only had it for 60 days. The Nintendo factory warranty is 1 year! That is why Best Buys warranty is so cheap. Nintendo will fix it for free for 1 year! I got the dreaded DRE 11 months after getting mine at launch. Nintendo paid for shipping and everything. I was quite impressed by their service. I do not own the PS2 so I cannot comment on that. My impression is warranties are nothing but a cash cow for the business. It is designed to strike fear in the consumer because it is going to break! When in reality only a small fraction of the systems actually have problems. If there is a huge number of problems then the company gets sued or they fix them all for free.[/quote]

This just shows why Nintendo's customer service is the best. To wit...

Warranties
GameCube/GBA/GBA SP - 12 months
PS2 - 3 months
Xbox - 3 months

Just FYI when Sega was still in the hardware business their warranty lasted 6 months.

Nintendo fixed my original Game Boy well after the warranty expired for free. Nintendo still offers on their website to repair their older "dead" systems, and also sells replacement parts for those. Nintendo quickly mailed out a replacement Zelda Collector's disc to me when the first one didn't arrive in a month. Nintendo's customer service is great from my experience.

Sounds good to me, but I have one question:
How do you know that you're buying a PRP? Does it say somewhere on a slip that you have to fill out? It seems too easy for a dumb employee to sell you a PSP on accident (or purpose).

The brochure Says Performance service plan
OR Product Replacement plan.

They cant sell u a psp on consoles anyways. It wont ring up at the cahsier that way.

Each item either has a prp or psp for it. But not both.

All game consoles are Prp only.

Cpu's for example are PsP only (rip off imo)
Tv's are Psp only (rip off unless your getting a really expensive tv)

Best Buy makes money on product replacement plans because people forget they've bought them. They had to raise the prices on them a while ago because the company was losing money on them.

TRU offers buyer protection plans(and tries forcing everyone to get them), but has anyone actually tried and seen if they are as good? They cover games too if you scratch or break the disk you get a replacement. I'm wary about any of the plans, though, since there are always so many exclusions.

bread's done
Back