Am I able to relocate my windows xp key from dell?

hutno

CAGiversary!
Well, I loaned my dell notebook to my sister who took it to college. She recently had a catastrophic harddrive failure and after buying a new harddrive, I need to reinstall windows. Heres where it gets tricky, she removed the lable on the bottom of the computer with the key on it (D'oh). Does anyone know if dell would have the key onfile?

... Very bad move on her part.

I really don't know where else it could be. On the plastic sleeve for the CD?

You should probably call up Dell.

... VERY bad move on her part.

[quote name='Moxio']... Very bad move on her part.

I really don't know where else it could be. On the plastic sleeve for the CD?

You should probably call up Dell.

... VERY bad move on her part.[/QUOTE]

Little sisters, they cause nothing but headaches

Actually you can get out of this...

I had a dell and i decided to do a HD whipe and start over. Well when i did it a computer repair friend of mine said dont bother with dells version of windows... and he handed me a CD for XP with SP2 on it... that saves some downloading time..

And now that puts me where you are. I have windows but i cant use the dell key with it. Well give a quick call to microsoft (quick: see 30+ minutes) and talk to someone in customer service and they will actually give you a new CD key. THey may ask for your old on so just read one from a computer from school or the library.

Give that a try

How about calling Dell and asking?

I wouldn't mention the part where you installed a pirated copy of Windows on the advice of some guy from a messageboard, though.

what its not pirated ... Its the OEM windows disk that repair shops have. So shut it...

And dell cannot do anything.

So install your windows and call microsoft for a new cd key...

You are right. Taking an illegitimate OEM copy of Windows (saves you the time of "downloading" amirite?) then stealing a product key from your school to trick MS into giving you a new activation code is totally legit.

[quote name='Zing']You are right. Taking an illegitimate OEM copy of Windows (saves you the time of "downloading" amirite?) then stealing a product key from your school to trick MS into giving you a new activation code is totally legit.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

What is thebeef with people and having proeblems with pirated windows, some people donthave $dollars to spend on F*cking windows and why should they care MicroSoft is the F*cking richest F*g company in the world and you are whining like a liitle whore aobut it so F**** OFF.

[quote name='Sejad']What is thebeef with people and having proeblems with pirated windows, some people donthave $dollars to spend on F*cking windows and why should they care MicroSoft is the F*cking richest F*g company in the world and you are whining like a liitle whore aobut it so F**** OFF.[/QUOTE]

if ur too poor to buy their program go get f***in linux then, no ones telling u to use windows, ur paying 100 bucks for a program that ur going to use everyday for 4 years, thast more than generous enough considering ur gonna pay 50 bucks for a game that only keeps ur attention span for 30 hours. go get a job

[quote name='Americanpierg']if ur too poor to buy their program go get f***in linux then, no ones telling u to use windows, ur paying 100 bucks for a program that ur going to use everyday for 4 years, thast more than generous enough considering ur gonna pay 50 bucks for a game that only keeps ur attention span for 30 hours. go get a job[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Linux isn't that bad, IMO. I don't play many PC games, so it's not like I couldn't survive with it.

[quote name='Moxio']Linux isn't that bad, IMO. I don't play many PC games, so it's not like I couldn't survive with it.[/QUOTE]

I use Unbuntu as my dsektop system. This is my breakdown:

OS X = Web Development
XP Pro = Gaming
Unbuntu = Everything Else

Though, I guess not everyone has three systems.

Everytime I say that I smile. :bouncy:

[quote name='Sejad']What is thebeef with people and having proeblems with pirated windows, some people donthave $dollars to spend on F*cking windows and why should they care MicroSoft is the F*cking richest F*g company in the world and you are whining like a liitle whore aobut it so F**** OFF.[/QUOTE]

Sigh.

As much as I hate microsoft, no.

Heard about capitalism? Sellers are free to set their prices, buyers can buy, not buy, or negotiate. If you don't want to buy a product for a certain price, it doesn't give you the moral right - or certainly the legal right - to buy it for less (or even make a free copyright-infringing copy).

And nice bit of homophobia there. But I guess that when you can't make a point without swearing...

bread's done
Back