Am I being a bitch to my neighbors?

You know, it is hard to go talk to the people that annoy you at apartments because you have to actually live around these people in the future. You can't act like a big jerk because then they hate you and make your life miserable and all of their allies in the building will hate you too. Bad times. So I let the manager take care of it.

The walls at my apartment are actually pretty good as I have never even heard my next door neighbors doing anything and they never have complained to me in the year and a half I have lived here.

And then an asshole moved into apartment #10. They play their music extremely loud. So loud that I feel the floor shaking and I'm two doors down from them. You can hear their music from the laundry building 100 yards away. I'm talking LOUD. People in this building yell at them. People in the apartment complex next door yell at them. And they never stop. On Saturday they were doing it at 1:30 A.M.

So I looked in the tenant handbook I got when I moved in. Complaints have to be submitted to the manager in writing so they have an official record if they need to kick the offenders out. I sent the letter on Friday, they should be getting it today, and hopefully they make a visit or a phone call to #10 and make them knock it off. I'm honestly hoping it continues just so they'll get kicked out and better people move in.

I know this doesn't really apply to your issue, OP, but I needed somewhere to vent.

[quote name='Apossum']you don't have to use real egg cartons-- there's foam padding called "egg crate" that mimics the egg carton shape and does a better job of soundproofing.

and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying tons of eggs.

so, buy a ton of it, write up some instructions on what to do with it, and drop it off at your neighbors place. ;)[/QUOTE]

I thought of "egg crate" too, but wasn't sure if that would work as well. Glad to see it does, and it is cheaper and much more adaptable to hanging than cartons.

[quote name='NoRain']My neighbor used to do that to me all the time in college. I just invited them in one day and asked them if they thought my tv was at an unresonable level. They quickly learned that the walls were thin and it wasn't me being unreasonably loud and left me alone. I suggest inviting them and showing them that you aren't holding the speakers up to the wall or have it louder then voice level then maybe just MAYBE they'll leave you alone and learn to deal with it instead of complaining daily.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, is there a reason you couldn’t talk to your neighbor like an adult? The quoted poster is making a very reasonable suggestion here that puts the onus on the neighbor to identify your supposed bad behavior rather than you guessing what it will take to get them to leave you alone.

[quote name='Strell']I have egg crate on my walls.

For having sex on.

Er.

For having sex on.

For having sex on.

F*ck.[/QUOTE]

What you cant have sex standing up? You either need to lift some weights or get a skinner woman. I hold my woman up all of the time, and the egg crates pad the wall so she doesnt get any plaster burn.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Indeed, is there a reason you couldn’t talk to your neighbor like an adult? The quoted poster is making a very reasonable suggestion here that puts the onus on the neighbor to identify your supposed bad behavior rather than you guessing what it will take to get them to leave you alone.[/QUOTE]

see I couldn't do that.....i don't want my neighbors knowing what type of equipment I have because one day I might find it missing and my neighbors who apparently can hear through my walls will pretend they didn't hear anything during the robbery.
:(

[quote name='GF_Eric']You know, it is hard to go talk to the people that annoy you at apartments because you have to actually live around these people in the future. You can't act like a big jerk because then they hate you and make your life miserable and all of their allies in the building will hate you too. Bad times. So I let the manager take care of it.

The walls at my apartment are actually pretty good as I have never even heard my next door neighbors doing anything and they never have complained to me in the year and a half I have lived here.

And then an asshole moved into apartment #10. They play their music extremely loud. So loud that I feel the floor shaking and I'm two doors down from them. You can hear their music from the laundry building 100 yards away. I'm talking LOUD. People in this building yell at them. People in the apartment complex next door yell at them. And they never stop. On Saturday they were doing it at 1:30 A.M.

So I looked in the tenant handbook I got when I moved in. Complaints have to be submitted to the manager in writing so they have an official record if they need to kick the offenders out. I sent the letter on Friday, they should be getting it today, and hopefully they make a visit or a phone call to #10 and make them knock it off. I'm honestly hoping it continues just so they'll get kicked out and better people move in.

I know this doesn't really apply to your issue, OP, but I needed somewhere to vent.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried calling the cops? Many places have noise ordinances. Just hold the phone up while the music is playing and tell the cop on the phone 'That's from my neighbors right now - through my wall.' If you have called the cops and they won't help you... That really sucks.

I had problems with my upstairs neighbor. they would play the same song over and over again at all times of the day/night. at 130 in the morning? Same song. Looped to infinity. After about a week of this I was going to report them but it stopped suddenly. I guess the neighbor drugoverdosed and was in critical condition... sad but true.

I used to could hear them fighting and crying and screaming at all hours too. It would freak me ouot sometimes when they would take their battles into the hallway. im pretty skittish as it and that would just disturb me greatly. that and having the cops around all the time.
and this isnt a ghetto area at all. :( ew.

It really sounds like it's your neighbors who are the ones being assholes. Honestly, who the hell knocks on their walls at all hours? Seriously, if they have a problem with you, they need to talk to you directly to your face and try to work it out.

While I don't know if your neighbors are scary-psycho, I think even the cops would tell you to try talking to them in a civilized manner first to see if you guys can work out your differences and come to some reasonable conclusion. And if there's a reason not to talk to them in person, maybe get a buddy or two to go with you just so you aren't alone.

:lol: I have the same problem. I hate having a handyman over while I'm at work because of the thousands of dollars of electronics and games... They could take 3-4 and I wouldn't notice for months.

[quote name='ITDEFX']see I couldn't do that.....i don't want my neighbors knowing what type of equipment I have because one day I might find it missing and my neighbors who apparently can hear through my walls will pretend they didn't hear anything during the robbery.
:([/quote]

yes! you are a total bitch! you blew out my ear drums for blasting that classical music!!!!:p j/k

in all seriousness, no. if it was me i would not give a rat's ass until 10pm because they can call the cops on you after 10pm. at least you don't have neighbors who would slash your car tires for parking on the side of the street that is in front of their house. those fuckers slashed my new car tires for parking there.

[quote name='dude2003']yes! you are a total bitch! you blew out my ear drums for blasting that classical music!!!!:p j/k

in all seriousness, no. if it was me i would not give a rat's ass until 10pm because they can call the cops on you after 10pm. at least you don't have neighbors who would slash your car tires for parking on the side of the street that is in front of their house. those fuckers slashed my new car tires for parking there.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Btw who's the chick in your avatar?

Put speakers against the wall and play some music on max. :) lol Now, it's one thing to knock at night but another to knock all the time. If they want peaceful, they should move out to the country or something.

Shit, if this was happening to me I'd put my 1,000 watt speaker system on max for twenty minutes (or until the wall falls apart, which ever is sooner). After that they wouldn't complain as much when I listen to music on the PC.

[quote name='Kayden']:lol: I have the same problem. I hate having a handyman over while I'm at work because of the thousands of dollars of electronics and games... They could take 3-4 and I wouldn't notice for months.[/QUOTE]

true, i never trusted that handy man who would never come to fix my apartment because one he would never come on the day he said he would (I would miss class because of this) and second, he would do a shit job when he did come.

It takes more energy for them to continously knock on your door, so let them do it. Hopefully they get tired before you get too annoyed.

bread's done
Back