Am I being too stubborn?

Heyricochet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Ok heres the deal, I bought an item off ebay where I won the auction first bid at 99 cents, and then his shipping calculator said ~4.90. So I'm like cool, sounds fine. Then I get an invoice from him thats for 8.90. I'm like wha? Turns out he added 3 dollars for "shipping insurance" that wasn't specified in the auction. He emails me and says that hes losing money after shipping so he added the insurance and hes "only making a 2 dollar profit" I email him back and say that I'm sorry hes not making much money, but that isn't my fault and I'm not paying for something not specified in the auction terms. He emails me back and says fine, hes reporting me to ebay.

Now, how is ebay with stuff like this? If I say hes trying to overcharge me will they agree with him or with me? Or will they just give it to the first person who complains.

Heres the auction btw, yes I know I buy stupid stuff. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8186218305&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

If he's trying to charge you for something that wasn't specified in the auction then eBay will side with you. Shipping insurance was not offered, he has no grounds to file a complaint.

If its not stated in the action that hes requiring shipping insurance, then I don't think he can tack it on withour your oking it... If he said hes adding it because hes not making enough money... let him report it. He'll hang himself.

:rofl: I wanted one of those when I was little.

Heh. I actually bought one off supermariomelee, and I thought the one I was getting from him was a different model because he said I needed 4AAAs and vidgame.net said it only needed 2AAAs so I figured I'd get this one cause it was the one I wanted. Of course since I'm not patient, I get it the day after and its the one I wanted. Doh! Anyone want to buy an r-zone off me? I can have this guy ship it straight too you once I get this all fixed. :D

[quote name='zionoverfire']Nail the guy's ass to the wall, I hate people who try to add extra charges because they were to dump to realize what shipping would cost.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - he's adding on charges for no reason. Just tell him that if he wanted to sell it at a higher price, he should have started the bidding price lower or put a reserve on it. Tough luck it didn't go for more.

Thanks guys, I just wanted people who have experience with reporting auctions opinions. (Ouch, the bad grammar in that sentence hurts me, but I can't think of a better way to write it. School week done + friday night = brain no work good.

Definitely save the emails to forward to Ebay. According to what I've heard people around here say, shipping costs are only allowed to cover shipping. If he admitted to upping the shipping cost to put more money in his pocket, Ebay's gonna nail him cuz that takes away their money :D

I think if it's only a difference of $2 and you really want the item. just pay the extra $2. it simplifies things and that's worth more than $2 for me.

Like everyone else said, nail him. No where in his auction does he state insurance, or it being available for purchase, or that it is required with purchase. It's his problem that he is losing money. You should not be made to pay for his mistake just because he's not making a profit.

[quote name='maxflight']I think if it's only a difference of $2 and you really want the item. just pay the extra $2. it simplifies things and that's worth more than $2 for me.[/QUOTE]

max, i think youre very wrong. its not about the $2. its about the point of it all. that guys trying to rip someone off and should be hung out.

The shipping caluclator allows a seller to add handling fees to the shipping, so if he had
wanted to charge another $3, he should have added $3 to the calcualtion (in top of regular shipping fees). It's his fault for not doing that, so I think as the buyer, you are not being stubborn and the seller is being unfair.

Also, the seller was stupid to think they would get any decent amount of money for what is a failed and unpopular portable system. I have the SuperScreen one myself (only bought it because it was $4.xx at Toys R Us) and if I tried to sell it, I couldn't even imagine getting more than $1 or $2.

I just read the first post, but I would be pretty pissed for someone to charge me extra from what it states in the auction. That's his fault for listing at .99 cents, and putting to low of a cost on shipping if he wanted to do something like that.

[quote name='maxflight']I think if it's only a difference of $2 and you really want the item. just pay the extra $2. it simplifies things and that's worth more than $2 for me.[/QUOTE]

It's two bucks versus:

Satisfaction for being in the right, getting the item/ or your money back, moral superiority and the chance to put this assclown in his proper place. Oh yeah, and the chance to brag about it online.

I wouldn't stand for that crap as a buyer. Total BS.

I'd have given him a chance to live up to his end, but since he wants to be a dick about it, report his ass to eBay now.

If he starts a NPB report on you, you may want to go ahead and pay what you should owe to him so he can't follow through with it.

Keep us updated on this, I hope eBay has some sort of process to prevent this sort of crap.

Interesting that a seller with such low feedback collects sales tax from his home state as well. Can't really prove anything, but it would seem to me this dope might have thought, hey I can make an extra 9% off some of my auctions!

To report him go here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_us/_base/index.html

Choose
Problem with other members
Problem with Seller
Seller Asked for Additional Fees after Auction Ended

Now that you refused insurance he may break it before sending then claim it was broken in the mail. Watch out! Assholes at the beginning of a transaction are assholes at the end of it.

Thanks wubb, I used the link and reported his ass.
For anyone curious heres the email exchange we had, its all in replies so it actually starts at the bottom. The first email is missing but it basically said: "Hey, this wasn't in the auction, whats the deal?" in nice terms.
(Names have been omitted to protect the guilty from CAGs :D)

Fine I'll file a compaint with ebay if your going to fuss about 2
dollars. Have a nice day.

-----Original Message-----
To: Jerkoff
Sent: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:05:22 -0400
Subject: Re: Tiger R-zone

Well sorry, but that wasn't under the terms of the auction. If you'd
like to cancel the transaction entirely go right ahead but you did not
specify insurance in the auction.

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thursday, April 21, 2005 6:19 pm
Subject: Re: Tiger R-zone

> shipping the item is more than i charged you altogether for it. I
> will be
> making a profit of $2. boy was that sale worth it.
>

So I agree that you shouldn't pay the extra money. If the seller files a NPB, what do you do then? I know there is a dispute area where you can write up the problem, but it seems easy for the seller to simply say the buyer didn't pay. Will eBay look at that stuff?

[quote name='davidmt']So I agree that you shouldn't pay the extra money. If the seller files a NPB, what do you do then? I know there is a dispute area where you can write up the problem, but it seems easy for the seller to simply say the buyer didn't pay. Will eBay look at that stuff?[/QUOTE]

Well first off paying the amount due in the auction will prevent this, but during the NPB process ebay gives you the chance to pay for the item, exactly as laid out in the auction, so none of this extra $3 BS. Furthermore if he reports the emails to ebay he shouldn't have a problem, one this ebay doesn't tolerate is screwing buyers with extra charges.

Does the jackass realize that HE is the one making the fuss over $2.

Good job not letting him intimidate you into just paying the extra couple bucks. I hope eBay comes down hard on this guy.

The really nice thing is that he pretty much flat out admits in the e-mail chain that the extra 'insurance' charge is bogus to cover him for such a low auction closing amount. Dumbass.

Hell you even give him an out and say if he wants to just cancel it altogether you're fine with that.

Guy finally realized that he was going to lose and I never received a response to my seller overcharged thing that I filed, but I got a mutual cancel from him and he said this "Since we did not complete this transaction can I file a report with ebay sayiing we mutally decided NOT to complete this transaction. This doesn't look bad on either of us, I just want my money back for listing the item. If you do this, I will leave you a great feedback."

So I'm happy and hes happy and I got my stupid purchase cancelled. Sorry joevan, but just follow ebay for a bit and you should be able to pick one up for 5 bucks on ebay too.

I love updates :)

And he's right that it won't look bad on you (as in you won't get a NPB strike).

He truly deserves a neg FB for pulling this crap, but I can understand if you don't want to mess up your perfect feedback by pinging him with one. (He'd almost certainly retaliate.)

He does deserve a neg, but I'm not going to just cause I wanted this cancelled anyway since I bought the same thing that I had, so it just proved a way to save my 5 bucks the hard way. And I'm not leaving him feedback unless he leaves me feedback first anyway cause I don't trust him.

bread's done
Back