Am I doing something wrong with setting up my N64?

Mr Snarp Snarps

CAGiversary!
Ok both of my N64s have no sound or picture when I plug them in. One looks like it's in very good condition btw. I have the yellow and white plugs in my TV only. Shouldn't that be enough?
Do N64s not work on Philips TVs? btw I have the white and yellow in right, I use the same cord for my PS2, PS1 and Gamecube and I use the same two slots on the front of my TV as well so those are not the problems.

Also a little off topic, are N64 controllers really worth about $10 each like Amazon prices claim? I have about 10 right now....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow is video, white is an audio (red is other audio). Make sure you don't have the yellow and white mixed up. You can plug red into white, and audio will still work.

Also, make sure you're using your TV input ports, not output.

I had the same problem, it may be the games. Take a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it and rub it on the contacts to clean them off. That at least worked for me.

The front A/V ports don't work on my television either; I had to buy an RF modulator and hook it to the back.

I've had one of those multi-AV adapters for at least a couple of years now for the exact same reason, Indigo. I was repeatedly plugging and unplugging my PS2 early last gen whenever I'd take it up a buddies' house and I burnt out or broke the ports on the front of my tv.:cry:

Thankfully for me I had never really used the ports on the back of my tv, so I was able to plug the multi AV thing into that and just leave it there since then. Of course, I've been plugging/unplugging stuff from the ports on the back of the adapter every so often now.:bomb:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've had one of those multi-AV adapters for at least a couple of years now for the exact same reason, Indigo. I was repeatedly plugging and unplugging my PS2 early last gen whenever I'd take it up a buddies' house and I burnt out or broke the ports on the front of my tv.:cry:

Thankfully for me I had never really used the ports on the back of my tv, so I was able to plug the multi AV thing into that and just leave it there since then. Of course, I've been plugging/unplugging stuff from the ports on the back of the adapter every so often now.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Most wise of you IATCG, though I wonder if the adapter you use is different from the one in my set-up?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWS2102W-17-Moduator-Converter/dp/B000IJEZI6

It's kind of funny since I used to use a dead (and rather heavy VCR) purely for the A/V ports, but with this gizmo I was able to save the coaxial cord running from the antennae port to the VCR and simply plug it into the modulator instead. Since I have a cord I can sit the modulator box right next to the tv for easy frontal access to the A/V ports.

Do you use an older television? I'm still running on a Symphonic tube tv that was a Best Buy return :cool:

Thanks guys but I have the white and yellow in right, I use the same cord for my PS2, PS1 and Gamecube and I use the same two slots on the front of my TV. Do I need to have a game in the N64 for it to work? If thats the case then maybe the N64s game slot thingy is dirty. How do I clean that? Q tip and 91% alcohol?

I am guessing you tried a different A/V cable right? Could be the cable is bad.

Did you try that A/V cable on a different TV? Could be the A/V ports on the TV are bad.

I take it the other systems work fine on that TV, might be your N64 itself.

Also, is this one of those multi-system cables? Where one end is the traditional yellow/white/red and the other is two or more plugs (one for N64/SNES/GCN, one for PS2/PS1/PS3, one for something else).

[quote name='Mr Snarp Snarps']Thanks guys but I have the white and yellow in right, I use the same cord for my PS2, PS1 and Gamecube and I use the same two slots on the front of my TV. Do I need to have a game in the N64 for it to work? If thats the case then maybe the N64s game slot thingy is dirty. How do I clean that? Q tip and 91% alcohol?[/QUOTE]

Here's an idea, do you have either A) a jumper pak, or B) a memory expansion pak in the n64's happy place?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories#Jumper_Pak

The system requires the Jumper Pak when the Expansion Pak is not present or else there will be no picture on the TV screen.
Another thing is that if you have a memory expansion pak inserted and hold down the start button while the system powers on, it should take you to some sort of memory management screen...no game cartridge required!

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Most wise of you IATCG, though I wonder if the adapter you use is different from the one in my set-up?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWS2102W-17-Moduator-Converter/dp/B000IJEZI6

It's kind of funny since I used to use a dead (and rather heavy VCR) purely for the A/V ports, but with this gizmo I was able to save the coaxial cord running from the antennae port to the VCR and simply plug it into the modulator instead. Since I have a cord I can sit the modulator box right next to the tv for easy frontal access to the A/V ports.

Do you use an older television? I'm still running on a Symphonic tube tv that was a Best Buy return :cool:[/QUOTE]
I have my PStwo I got from Target for $50 on my Panasonic 20" SDtv I've had since God knows when and most likely I'll test this combo NES/Genesis I got from the one Salvation Army store on it as well.

I think I got my switch from a closing Movie Gallery for $3-4. It looks similar in design to THIS one, except there's no PS2 multitap built into it:

http://www.amazon.com/Intec-2fV-Selector-Multi-2dTap-Playstation-2/dp/B0007Q1IMQ

It's just a big rectangular box looking thing really. But it definitely serves it's purpose.;)

Yes to everything AnotherPoorGamer.
Also thank you Indigostreetlight, I will try that.

edit, still not working and I think it is an expan

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back