Am I going blind?

pepsiguy_2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (97%)
It started about a week ago, when there was a spot in my eye where I couldn't see at all very much. It was like a really, really big "floater" (it was also numb). (When you look into the light and then look away and there's some shit still there). However, that went away and I thought all was fine. 

Over the past few days, my "side" vision has been getting worse and I can almost no longer make out what is beside me/isn't right infront of me. It's not totally blurry, but I can't read words and stuff. However, it seems to be getting progressively worse and my eyes have been hurting like a bitch ALOT. My left eye is worse than my right eye. I can put my fingers on my eye/lids and feel a pulse and that's usually where the pain si. It feels different than a regular headache in the eye.

I have been on the computer alot in the past month. School is almost finished  and I've just become a "PC Gamer". 

I called the nearest 2 optometrists and the closest date I can get an eye exam is TUESDAY! Which I think I will be blind by then.

I turned down brightness/contrast on all my devices.

Anyway, I think there are multiple things that may have been happening to me and I did some research

1) I've been having blood flow problems in my leg and such. They disappeared and a day later this eye thing started. Read that a blood clot could cause blindness if it goes to your brain.

2) Usher Syndrome

3) The gel that the retina uses to connect to other parts of the eye is watering down.

Anyone else got any ideas or experienced anything like this? I'd rather have glasses than go blind.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you stop using the computer so damn much, and do some exercising for a change.  I don't really know what's going on, but so far your health problems are related to sitting down a lot and looking at a computer screen (possibly in a dark room) alot.

How about you stop using the computer so damn much, and do some exercising for a change. I don't really know what's going on, but so far your health problems are related to sitting down a lot and looking at a computer screen (possibly in a dark room) alot.
About two weeks ago I started doing something called 'DDP Yoga' for 30-mins to an hour a day. I think it helped my blood flow problems, but yeah I need to get out more.

I've been applying for jobs like crazy and no one is hiring me :(

How about you stop using the computer so damn much, and do some exercising for a change. I don't really know what's going on, but so far your health problems are related to sitting down a lot and looking at a computer screen (possibly in a dark room) alot.
What is your evidence? Sitting down itself does not cause eye problems, and neither does looking at a screen (your eyes can be strained from looking at a screen, but that does not cause actual eye damage).

Definitely get in as soon as you can. It may not be as serious as you think, but better safe than sorry. The vision in one of my eyes has been getting more blurry over the past few years, and I've been worried about it going completely. I might have to wait a little longer to get it checked out again, though.

Last edited:
Keep us updated, as this has happened to me before. The only difference is I work on a computer, so I really have no way around using a computer during work hours. I also stay pretty active (I've completed the Insanity workout program before), but I wouldn't call myself a gymrat by any means.

For me it started with both eyes starting to go blurry..sort of like when you look at bright light and look away (kind of hazy and unable to really focus on anything), then followed by these excruciating headaches around the temple area. I was always prone to migraines, but never experienced any headaches like these before. Those started very rarely, but then more and more frequent. Then after a while, one of my eyes would have that 'floater' just like you described, and the other eye would be fine. I went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong, so I'm not sure what was going on. It went away on its own after a while.

I will probably have to go again soon though since the issues just recently started up again. The difference this time is I don't really get the blurriness in both eyes followed by the migraines much at all. But my left eye has that big annoying floater that doesn't go away.

Lay off the hand to gland combat for a while.

This is what happens when you spend all your time shaking white hot coconuts from the veiny love tree !!

Keep us updated, as this has happened to me before. The only difference is I work on a computer, so I really have no way around using a computer during work hours. I also stay pretty active (I've completed the Insanity workout program before), but I wouldn't call myself a gymrat by any means.

For me it started with both eyes starting to go blurry..sort of like when you look at bright light and look away (kind of hazy and unable to really focus on anything), then followed by these excruciating headaches around the temple area. I was always prone to migraines, but never experienced any headaches like these before. Those started very rarely, but then more and more frequent. Then after a while, one of my eyes would have that 'floater' just like you described, and the other eye would be fine. I went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong, so I'm not sure what was going on. It went away on its own after a while.

I will probably have to go again soon though since the issues just recently started up again. The difference this time is I don't really get the blurriness in both eyes followed by the migraines much at all. But my left eye has that big annoying floater that doesn't go away.
Migraines can cause temporary blindness, called Ocular Migraines. I've been getting migraines since I was in 5th grade, but earlier this year I finally had one of the blind spots appear. Mine wasn't as bad as some people experience, it just started as a small bright spot right in the center of my vision and made reading difficult. It still freaked me out until I looked into it and then the headache part hit. That sounds like what you had, but the OP's situation sounds much worse. Normally Ocular Migraines only last an hour or so, and his symptoms have been going on days now.

I'm pretty reserved when it comes to ER visits, but this sounds pretty serious if you already have blood flow problems. I wouldn't wait.

Your problem definitely sounds serious, I think you should go to the hospital right away.

When I was about 19 I went through a 2 month period where I would have migraines but oddly enough, they only affected my vision, I didn't get the headaches or any pain at all.  What would happen is I would get what looks like a bright spot in my eyes like you get if you stare at a light or the sun, but it would start off as a small spot and spread to half both my eyes.  It didn't last very long, maybe 30 minutes.  Sometimes numbness would follow in the half of my body that was affected by the blind spot, my left most of the time I believe.  One time I even lost the ability to speak or read clearly.  I would speak complete gibberish and I could not read at all.  That time my mom drove me to the hospital and I had a catscan.  It was diagnosed as a migraine and after that I never had one that extreme again.  I only got migraines a few more times and since then, about 9 years ago, I haven't had one.  Very odd and pretty scary.

But again, go to the hospital.

For me, the headaches feel like they are actually inside the eye. It's hard to describe, but it feels a lot different than regular headaches around the eye area. Sometimes it even feels like my eyes are drying up (but they aren't because I don't start to blink alot or anything.) Also, when this happens is also feels like one eye is more dominant than the other (some cases can be either eye). Today I didn't have any "eye headaches" (except slight slivers of pain) and my vision wasn't as bad as it has been. Yesterday, I also noticed tears slipping out from the corners of my painful eye.

I tried to do a crappy mockup in Photoshop but it's impossible to replicate my situation...

3Bq6iWB.jpg

Migraines can cause temporary blindness, called Ocular Migraines. I've been getting migraines since I was in 5th grade, but earlier this year I finally had one of the blind spots appear. Mine wasn't as bad as some people experience, it just started as a small bright spot right in the center of my vision and made reading difficult. It still freaked me out until I looked into it and then the headache part hit. That sounds like what you had, but the OP's situation sounds much worse. Normally Ocular Migraines only last an hour or so, and his symptoms have been going on days now.

I'm pretty reserved when it comes to ER visits, but this sounds pretty serious if you already have blood flow problems. I wouldn't wait.
Thank you for this info. I've very rarely have headaches feel like they were actually in my head, and whenever I had migraines the past few years my eyes would be very blurry or struggling to read. I was never scared back then because I could easily link the migraine to the vision loss so I don't think that's what this is, but very helpful info indeed.

Are you masturbating alot? I hear that causes blindness?
*Holds up incredibly hairy hand*

I think those are just myths...

Seriously though, OP. I would really recommend getting it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

So what did they say? Hopefully it wasn't serious.
Unfortunately I had to reschedule to tomorrow because the Service center closed early and I couldn't renew my Health Card (fucking Canada).

Anyway, does anyone here have diabetes or high blood pressure problems, etc? I think that's what I have. Eating too much bad food, etc.

EDIT: I have come to the conclusion that something is terribly wrong with my body as a whole as just opposed to my vision. Today it struck me really hard. Head pains, dizzyness, drowsyness, sickness. Going to the doctor as soon as I can.

Well, be happy that you won't be denied health care because of "preexisting conditions" or pain in the butt insurance companies down here. Not to mention that some states won't give the poor health care in order to stick it to the federal government.

Yeah, you really need to see a doctor to see what your options are, and exercise is likely a likely one.

bread's done
Back