Am I in the right? Bad Amazon Marketplace buyer...

Hush

CAGiversary!
So the power adapter for my old D-Link router crapped out a couple of weeks ago but the router itself is fine (I tested it with another adapter). Having had problems with the wifi on the D-Link in the past, I decided it would be a good idea to just get a new router rather than try and find a replacement power adapter. I ended up getting a good cyber Monday deal on a Linksys at Best Buy.

Anyway, getting back to the point of this post I decided to list the D-Link router for a measly ten bucks on Amazon Marketplace just to try and get something out of it. I made sure I noted clearly in the item comments field: "Does not include power supply. Router tested and works fine."

A couple of days later it sells and I promptly ship it to the guy USPS with delivery confirmation. Upon receipt, he immediately leaves me a negative feedback and the following email exchange takes place (I pasted them in order from top to bottom):

-------------- Begin message
---------------------

i didnt recieve a power supply
or a WAn strait thru line which
i shouldve been
notofied of from the
brgging we need to work some thing
out because i want to
return this product.

-------------- End message ------------------------

Hello,

I am sorry about the inconvenience, but if you go and look at the order details, you will see that I noted in the product comments that the power supply was not included when I listed the item. I am willing to work something out, but I will need you to go ahead and withdraw your negative feedback.

Thanks,

Hush

-----

Ok its a deal... Is there a way u can send me the power supply and thw wan line would be nice too

I looked twice and disnt see it until u sent me that paper with it .. i will take off my feedback though thnx
Tony

-----

Tony,

I don't have the power supply, that is why I noted it in the comments and listed the router for only $10.00.

Hush

-----

Yea but that couldve been warned at the beggining ok then ... im going to have to request a return. Just straight up no negative feedback. Or any... Its a win win thing so u could trick someone else jk
Tony

-----

Tony,

Thank you for removing the negative feedback. I have no problem granting you a refund if you want to return the item back to me.

Thanks,

Hush

-----

Thank you. Will i need to go through Amazon to do this? Or could it just be through eachother no complications?thank you

Tony

-----

As long as I receive the item back from you w/ the cd and booklet, I will grant the refund, that is my policy. Do you still have my return address from the package?

Thanks,

Hush

-----

this will include EVERYTHING i paid right. the s&h and can you send me a shipping label please.

Thank You and appreciate your help,

Tony

-----

Tony,

If you re-read the description of the product, I'm sure you'll agree that this item clearly did not include the power supply. For your reference here is the comment that was listed in the item description:

"Comments: Does not include power supply, router tested and works fine."

The item was accurately described in the listing and delivered as such. For this reason I am unable to offer a S&H refund. I will, however, gladly refund the cost of the router upon return in original condition w/ the CD and documentation that was included.

Just so you know, you can probably find a compatible power adapter at RadioShack or other electronics store at a reasonable price.

Please let me know what you'd like to do: return the router for the $10.00 refund or keep the router.

Thank you,

Hush

-----

you still didn't answer the question. your trying to start a whole different thing right now. i asked if i will be refunded the 15.69$ that i paid so i can send it out to you. And FYI, if i was to buy everything you didn't send me, i could buy a good router like a netgear one for the same cost the maintenance on this product is costing me. Until i am notified that i am refunded can you please email me to tell me what happends. If i should send it out or what.

Thank You,

Tony

-----

Tony,

I did answer your question. I said if you return the router (ship it back to me) I will refund the price of the router ($10.00) but I will not be refunding the S&H in this case. That would mean I would be losing money over something that is clearly not my fault. I indicated in the comments that the router DOES NOT INCLUDE THE POWER SUPPLY for a reason, so the person who ordered it would know what they were getting for their money. I am sorry you are not happy but the bottom line is this, you should have read the comments before ordering the router. You have a choice: send the router back to me with the CD and booklet that was included and I will refund you $10.00, or don't.

Thank you,

Hush

-----

END

So what do you guys think? I don't think I should have to offer to eat the shipping costs since the item was described accurately and delivered as such. He did remove his negative feedback comment after the email where he mentions it, which I think is kind of funny because now he won't be able to leave me another negative even if he wanted to (Amazon policy). I love how at the beginning he keeps insisting that I "should have warned him from the beginning" when the fact that the power supply wasn't included was right there in the item listing when he placed the order. It also seems toward the end of our correspondence that he wants me to grant the refund BEFORE he ships the router back, lol. Let me know what you guys think.

[quote name='62t']from my experience people do not read the comment from amazon marketplace[/quote]

That's like not reading the fine details of a contract. IMO the buyer is at fault and you handled the situation fine. People should always inquire about the items they buy, such as what people do here in the forums through PMs.

And who says you can't put a price on stupidity.

You were clearly in the right, he's lucky you're even offering the $10 back.

The internet is a weird place...

Like I was buying a 360 accessory on ebay. I won the auction and I of course went ahead and paid same day. I get an email from the seller like "I'm flat broke and I can't pay to ship out the product yet. If you leave feedback I can receive the money and you can get your item"

So I contact ebay and post the email and the rep suggets that its normal for stuff like this to happen. I was like WHAT???? That just seems like a quick way to scan someone! "Yea, leave me feedback so I can get your money before you have my product..."

Dude went ahead and just canceled the order. Guess he REALLY WAS THAT BROKE!!!

Sometimes people are really fucking stupid. Definitely don't refund him the shipping, if he doesn't take the $10 back then fuck him, it's his fault.

It's people like this that make me hesitant to deal with Ebay/Amazon.com Marketplace, etc. The guy has the grammar of a 7 year old, and probably a similar IQ. Tell him you're withdrawing the refund offer because of his stupidity. You're absolutely in the right, and much nicer than I would have been in this situation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537736

Just point him towards that, making sure to point out the line that goes "Shipping and handling charges for returning Marketplace items are borne by the buyer."

Also, according to that link, since he's returning the product as unwanted, (since the product arrived in the condition arrived), even if you offered a refund, seems you'd be within your rights to knock off a buck or two for "restocking". Then again, I'm no Amazon expert, I'm just going off what's on the site.

Well, according to Amazon, it doesn't really matter what you put in the comments section. When it comes to disputes, they'll almost always side with the buyer. Be glad that he's probably too dumb to know how to file an A-to-z claim.

He removed his negative feedback and you got your money? Sounds to me like you're doing him a favor by offering to refund the $10. And, yeah, it sounds like he wants the refund before he sends out the product - there's no way in hell I'd do that!

@joshythegreat18, that's my feeling too. There's a bunch of stuff I'd like to sell on ebay and Amazon, but I really don't want to deal with people like this. It'd cut into my gaming time :p

Only question I'd have is if they have some sort of 'Condition' attribute for their items and what you listed this as.

Once I listed an Xbox 360 console only and specified this in the comments. Buyer complained about this when she got the product and Amazon made me give her a refund and she kept the console too.

[quote name='jd302426']Once I listed an Xbox 360 console only and specified this in the comments. Buyer complained about this when she got the product and Amazon made me give her a refund and she kept the console too.[/quote]

I'd tell Amazon to fuck itself.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']this sucks man, i've been in this kind of situation...the buyer will win if they file a claim...just dont lead him onto looking in that direction[/QUOTE]

I doubt it'll go that far, the guy seems to be scared that I'm going to leave him negative feedback, which he apparently thinks will be of some dire consequence.

p.s. Why did my topic get moved to Shopping/Bragging Rights?

Amazon's policy unfortunately is to ALWAYS side with the buyer. Furthermore, they don't take into account what you put in the comments field, they INSIST the item must match what's on the product description page EXACTLY, or the buyer can not only request a refund, and Amazon will deduct the money from your account immediately, but the buyer is NOT required to even return the item!!! So be very careful when selling on Amazon, I've had this happen once already and they have told me then reserve the right to refuse me from selling on Amazon if I don't agree with this policy.

The seller really has no recourse except to use delivery confirmation and hope they sell enough to cover occasional losses from people that take advantage of this.

I have been in the same position recently with a purchase of a Blu Ray disc on ebay. I bid quickly on it failing to see the comments section. The transaction went through smoothly and when I received the disc it was in a generic DVD case. I was a little shocked, but went back to the auction and sure as hell the comment indicated the lack of the blu ray case.

I cut my loses and ordered up some blu ray cases and all is well. It is idiotic that the buyer or company (ebay or amazon) should expect something aside from what is well and properly documented on the listing.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Email the guy back and ask him if he goes by the name "slidecage" on internet forums.[/QUOTE]

/endthread

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Email the guy back and ask him if he goes by the name "slidecage" on internet forums.[/QUOTE]

Could you guys elaborate on this a little more?

[quote name='salt_peanuts']Amazon's policy unfortunately is to ALWAYS side with the buyer. Furthermore, they don't take into account what you put in the comments field, they INSIST the item must match what's on the product description page EXACTLY, or the buyer can not only request a refund, and Amazon will deduct the money from your account immediately, but the buyer is NOT required to even return the item!!! So be very careful when selling on Amazon, I've had this happen once already and they have told me then reserve the right to refuse me from selling on Amazon if I don't agree with this policy.

The seller really has no recourse except to use delivery confirmation and hope they sell enough to cover occasional losses from people that take advantage of this.[/quote]

When a site gets down to bullshit like this I refuse to do any selling on it ... ebay is gonna be next I can feel it.

Welcome to amazon...

Granted, I don't sell, but I've ran into some problems. I bought a factory sealed copy of Hell Comes To Frogtown for dirt cheap and ended up with a bootleg that lets you "STRAT" the movie. I didnt bother complaining because chances are, I don't think it was the seller's fault and the movie plays fine. Oh, and I got it on free amazon gift certs I get from time to time.

I also had to get amazon to refund a dude on another copy of that movie that the guy never sent... or even bothered responding to the two-three emails I sent him regarding it. Luckily, amazon refunded it within an hour after I sent them the response and noted the lack of response. (Guy before refunded mine within a day apologizing that he ran out).

I also read all the comments and the feedback. It's ridiculous when people leave negative feedback on stuff like that and don't take it down and the seller has to respond to it. Moreso than the fact that they don't take the time to read the auction fully. I don't care if I'm buying a used DVD or VHS for a penny and $2.98 shipping, I still read the auction.

[quote name='Hush']Could you guys elaborate on this a little more?[/quote]

Search slidecages' posts? Look at how his posts are worded.

Your in the right at the very least for offering a refund at the very least. But people online are stupid and choose not to read anything. Which should come to no suprise to most.

bread's done
Back