Am I in the wrong for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpaul

CAGiversary!
Hey, guys. I've just done an auction on eBay and I am sorely regretting it. So, I'll get right down to it and see what you guys think.

I recently tried to purchase SSX Tricky for ps2 from an eBay member.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8195751527&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

$4 for SSX Tricky seems like an okay price. Here's the problem: IN ADDITION to the $4.00 to pay him, he charged me $11.45 for s&h.

I'll say it again: $11.45 for s&h.

This seemed outrageous to me. So I've decided not to pay it. I've even told him I'm not paying for this for such a massive s&h fee.

Well, he emailed me back saying he was going to cancel the order, but I still needed to pay him $2.00 to cover his relisting fee. I told him I wasn't even going to do that.

Now, how wrong am I? Are they gonna cancel my account or somethin? I'm prepared to do it. I at LEAST expect negative feedback from him and I will be doing the same. It just seems wrong to be screwed over like this in s&h when he didn't bother to list it in the first place. I assumed a real calculation would've been done based on where he is and where I live. If it was going to be that much I never would've bid.

Whew, I hope this makes sense and isn't too scatterbrained.

Yes, you are. Did you read the auction?

We ship everything USPS. All of our items are shipped in padded envelopes or Priority boxes (skins ship in a sturdy cardboard mailer). Flat rate shipping/handling is $9.95 to a US or Canadian address only. We will not ship these outside of the US or Canada.There will be no combined shipping discounts/invoicing on this item. 3rd Party Insurance is REQUIRED ($1.50) and covers your item during shipping and for up to 30 days after you receive it.

You're part of the reason people hate selling on eBay so much.

Yes, you're wrong for not paying. He listed it in the auction.

I'm willing to bet that had you gone through with the auction, you would then complain that it was CD only with no case or manual.

Sorry, your in the wrong. Regardless of how much someone charges for shipping, you should ALWAYS read the auctions. ALWAYS.

Relax people.

The shipping is indeed outrageous, I wouldn't pay for that either. But if it is indeed listed in there and you missed it, I would float the guy 2 bucks to just be done with it.

Non payers may be why people hate selling on eBay, but people that jack up the s/h to an insane amount are why people hate buying on eBay.

I'm not going to throw needless insults at you, but I would pay the guy his $2 and make sure to read the shipping information from now on. You're not a dumbass and whatever amount of respect I had for Quackzilla (X-Files holla!) has been lowered.

Yeah, the dumbass comment was definitely uncalled for.
As the others say, you should ALWAYS find out the shipping costs before you place a single bid.

Throw the guy $2 for his trouble (and auction fees).

yeah what everyone else said ... AND don't give them a negative feedback, it's clearly not their fault you didn't read the details of the auction. At least they're trying to work with you.

Aye...I think I was a bit hasty. I guess my stupid ass assumed a much lower s&h rate. It is my bad....

maybe i'll fork over that $2.00 after all.

But then at the very least beware of this guy....$10 flat fee, plus insurance

I hate people who make up shipping charges after the auction. I say according to ebay and auction etique you are wrong because you should have asked. But i think morally you should neg him and state why.

Welp, I see I won't be making any friends here for this one. Feel free to continue the verbal abuse, as it WAS dumbshit mistake on my part.

[quote name='Darkpaul']Welp, I see I won't be making any friends here for this one. Feel free to continue the verbal abuse, as it WAS dumbshit mistake on my part.[/QUOTE]

Well, he was asking for it by not putting the shipping and (mandatory) insurance charges in the appropriate box.

I have dealt with Ebay sellers that didn't list their shipping rates (and later demanded $15-$20 shipping for a $10 item). Those are the sellers you really have to watch out for. At least this joker had the courtesy to mention his ridiculous shipping rate up front.

Yeah, I just checked the top bar and saw "contact seller" part, assuming (because I've done MORE than a few auctions where I had to request the final payment fee) that he'd be somewhat reasonable.

[quote name='Darkpaul']Welp, I see I won't be making any friends here for this one. Feel free to continue the verbal abuse, as it WAS dumbshit mistake on my part.[/QUOTE]

honestly what do you expect? Cag used to be not so bad with the peoples flames, now that we entering what i think is the third generation of users coming around its gotten pretty bad, in my eyes.

yes, you did make a mistake. Nobody's perfect, the way he lists his shipping and handling for future reference....i hava rule... if they don't list the s+ h fees at the top of the auction in the description is very very suspecious to me and it's a red flag usually for rip off shipping.

I don't think your legally entitled to pay 2 dollars for a list charge either. Now i could be wrong because i dont have the time rite now to scan over the article, but 2 bucks is outrageous. He'll get reimbursed if the listed item sells again.

I already paid him the $2.00 to get that crap over with. I'm still debating how to leave the feedback, tho. Not that it'd matter, with his 32,000+.

Well, I just think this illustrates a very important rule to follow when shopping on eBay: you must assume that everyone is trying to rip you off. If you go into every auction with this attitude, you will be sure to read every last word on the item page. If you ever have a question about anything (including shipping) ask the seller before you bid on the auction.

[quote name='Darkpaul']I already paid him the $2.00 to get that crap over with. I'm still debating how to leave the feedback, tho. Not that it'd matter, with his 32,000+.[/QUOTE]

I think neutral feedback would be the way to go since the deal didn't go through and it was no fault of the seller's.

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, I just think this illustrates a very important rule to follow when shopping on eBay: you must assume that everyone is trying to rip you off. If you go into every auction with this attitude, you will be sure to read every last word on the item page. If you ever have a question about anything (including shipping) ask the seller before you bid on the auction.[/QUOTE]

lol, but that attitude is "pessamistic" heh.

this is what got me fired from my last job BTW, always assuming the lowest possible answer or denominator is the best one.

When you work in a hick town, how can you not?

[quote name='shipwreck']I think neutral feedback would be the way to go since the deal didn't go through and it was no fault of the seller's.[/QUOTE]
I agree here - I'd either leave neutral feedback or none at all. Besides, if you give him a negative, he'll likely return the favor.

[quote name='shipwreck']Well, I just think this illustrates a very important rule to follow when shopping on eBay: you must assume that everyone is trying to rip you off. If you go into every auction with this attitude, you will be sure to read every last word on the item page. If you ever have a question about anything (including shipping) ask the seller before you bid on the auction.[/QUOTE]

Good advice.

Well, I guess I learned a few things from this crappy experience:
1. eBay sellers will fuck you over if you allow it.
2. Slowing down will help alleviate stupid behavior (like mine). Plus you last longer....wait, that's not for eBay.
3. I can ALWAYS count on CAGs to IMMEDIATELY find my flaws, faults and foibles. And verbal assaults. I can't forget verbal assaults.

[quote name='Darkpaul']Well, I guess I learned a few things from this crappy experience:
1. eBay sellers will fuck you over if you allow it.
2. Slowing down will help alleviate stupid behavior (like mine). Plus you last longer....wait, that's not for eBay.
3. I can ALWAYS count on CAGs to IMMEDIATELY find my flaws, faults and foibles. And verbal assaults. I can't forget verbal assaults.[/QUOTE]

Well, I like that you used the word "foibles". That's a positive.

[quote name='Darkpaul']Aye...I think I was a bit hasty. I guess my stupid ass assumed a much lower s&h rate. It is my bad....

maybe i'll fork over that $2.00 after all.

But then at the very least beware of this guy....$10 flat fee, plus insurance[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just read the entire description next time. The best thing to do is not buy or bid on items from sellers that charge ridiculous amounts for shipping, such as this seller. Almost every big game seller on eBay overcharges on shipping. I'd buy from individuals who aren't out to rip you and/or eBay off by evading fees.

You're both in the wrong; him for overcharging (which is against ebay policy too) and you for bidding without reading carefully.

I don't get why he is charging a $2 relisting fee, ebay lets you relist for free if an item doesn't sell once or if a buyer backs out.

[quote name='Darkpaul']
3. I can ALWAYS count on CAGs to IMMEDIATELY find my flaws, faults and foibles. And verbal assaults. I can't forget verbal assaults.[/QUOTE]

When you start grouping everyone together, then eventually everyone could be against you. Try to let it go..not everyone has been an ass to you. Most people that have posted have just given you their honest opinion without insulting. Just ignore the people that are pricks and respond to the people that are being decent.

Yep, you're in the wrong. His S+H charge is indeed excessive, but it was specified in the listing.

(I didn't read any replies before posting this...)

Okay, read the replies. If you do anything other than leave him + FB or no feedback at all, you may end up with another - FB on your record. IMO he'd be justified to leave you one. If I were you I'd just skip leaving feedback on this one and be thankful the seller let you out of your obligation.

I'm sure you'll do this from now on, but never bid on anything unless the listing clearly states the S+H charges (either via flat fee or with a calculator) I tend to skip auctions that don't use eBay's shipping section to list these fees as it's a big pain in the ass to find them buried in the listing and those sellers tend to be the ones with massive boiler plate sections. I assume anyone not putting a S+H amount will gouge. That's not 100% accurate, but it definitely happens.

Does ebay have a way to block certain sellars? I would prefer not to even see auctions from companies that are profitting from selling.

[quote name='Indiana']Does ebay have a way to block certain sellars? I would prefer not to even see auctions from companies that are profitting from selling.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but you can make S+H one of the columns in a search result. Then you can easily not click on any listings that have excessive shipping or 'unspecified'. That's what I generally do and it saves a ton of time.

[quote name='Darkpaul']I already paid him the $2.00 to get that crap over with. I'm still debating how to leave the feedback, tho. Not that it'd matter, with his 32,000+.[/QUOTE]

Just don't leave any, just let it go man, let it go

you should pay for the game as that is the right thing to do, it said the shipping price very clearly in the auction, lots of people give you a good price on bin and rape you on shipping you've got to pay attention, if you ask me it was a good lesson.

Well, shipping cost is always part of the game, how do you know how much it will cost the seller to ship stuff. Most people overcharge a bit to cover the trip to the post office, packaging materials(not cheap) and their own time.

Possibly not this seller, but think of someone might have to drive many miles to get to a post office.

People should always care about the "TOTAL" price, including the bidding price, shipping price, the required insurance cost and payment cost. That's right, if seller does not take paypal and use bidpay, there is a money order fee and stuff. Also, some causal seller might ask for 4% more if pay by paypal credit card as that's what paypal charges causal seller for.

Of course, Do NOT bid until you're ok with the term.

As for the settlement $2 is not bad, as they probably not going to file non-paying bidder against you, so it is a complete lost on their part. If I were the seller, I wouldn't let you go for $2 as it is just a waste of time for both of us including the other bidders that was trying to win.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I don't get why he is charging a $2 relisting fee, ebay lets you relist for free if an item doesn't sell once or if a buyer backs out.[/QUOTE]

But you have to go through the whole non paying bidder process (to get back the final value fee), since it wasn't the sellers fault he shouldn't have to go through the trouble.

[quote name='TheRaven']When you start grouping everyone together, then eventually everyone could be against you. Try to let it go..not everyone has been an ass to you. Most people that have posted have just given you their honest opinion without insulting. Just ignore the people that are pricks and respond to the people that are being decent.[/QUOTE]

A bit of a joke there, Raven. Try not to take it too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back