am I the only one that hates Super Smash Brothers Brawl?

cheapbrass

CAGiversary!
I bought this game about 6 months ago....and can't seem to get into it (played 2-3 hours total). Even when i am playing with a group of friends, I find this game to be just a random button masher.

Anyone else hate this game? I don't get what everyone else sees in it?

i think the fact that you just mashed buttons is why you didn't enjoy the game. if you played with skill with other skilled players it can be a frustrating game, which can get very competitive and it becomes a good game. its all about competition. yea, the game makes it easy to mash buttons, but thats no fun.

I thought this thread was a comparison, IE hates Brawl over Melee.

No, SSB in 10 years has never been a button masher, although like some fighting games (Soul Calibur anyone?) you can mash buttons and do alright, at least until you find someone you really knows what they're doing.

SSBM>SSB>SSBB

Melee improved upon SSB in almost every way. Only thing bad was some new stages weren't as good as some older ones, and some characters were nerfed. (to be expected)

SSBB is way too easy for a n00b to play. I'm not good at Melee, but I recognize the skill it takes for someone to be good at Melee. Brawl is so ridiculously floaty and n00b friendly it takes the fun out of the game. Sure, I can beat my friends consistently, but I don't feel like I earn those wins. Instead of making a good multiplayer, they wasted their time making an okay at best single player, leading to a half-assed multiplayer.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just button mashing when the stage is too small and there are too many players. Try using a larger stage (Temple, New Pork City, or a custom stage) when there are a lot of players. And if you put items on, there's a lot of different strategies that can add to the gameplay.

Hello flame bait thread. Wtf is the point of this, you come into a forum where the nboys are pretty damn vocal about their enjoyment of the system and talk shit about one of their top games.

Just because all you do is button mash does not mean that is how the game is ment to played. Hell anyone who just mashes in any fighter sucks, its not the game its you. Once more, it's not the game it's you.

Now do I hate it, nope, but I hate the lag online so haven't touched it in months.

I would have never thought to call a super smash bros game a button masher. I can't imagine that working out too well for you. You mash B, you'll probably be using a projectile attack of some sort that has terrible delay. If you mash A, you'll be executing a very simple combo that, for many characters, will not get you a kill. If you mash block, you'll get thrown, if you mash taunt, you are awesome. If you mash start, people punch you in the face.

I'll have to chime in and say I don't like the brawl part of it all that much. Now, granted, I grew up on Street Fighter II, so I guess I'm just used to that style of combos and fighting. I liked Killer Instinct as well, but never got into Mortal Kombat or some of the others. I don't know what it is about brawl, but I've just never found the right way to fight, and I don't care too much to read threads to figure it out.

So mostly, I just play it when my 5/6 year old asks. From that standpoint, he and his friends love it. They can set the computer to skill level 1 and have a 50/50 shot of mashing buttons and beating them.

I kind of like the story mode - I'd rather play that with him than 10 boring matches in a row.

So I think it's a well designed game in that it has a lot of variety in the various modes of play and the wide range of difficulty levels that it's a worthwhile purchase. I just find that it's not very intuitive in terms of how to improve your skills without picking up a player's guide or doing research in forums.

You are definitely not alone! It's not at all about the complexity of the game for me...it's the way it plays. I can't stand the floaty-ness of it. I hate the way all the characters move...it drives me bat shit crazy. I hate the way the characters fall off the screen. I don't like the constant respawning. I feel as though none of the attacks hold any real weight and all of the hits feel super artificial. It's not even just the fighting...the single player adventure mode annoys the hell out of me when my character is floating all over the fucking place like a moron. This is from the same company that brought me Super Mario Bros. with stop on a dime tight ass controls? Ugh. I wouldn't call it a button masher though. I realize there is a way to play like any fighter.

THIS IS SOLELY MY OPINION but the game is not at all for me.

I have to agree with alot of folks here -- I grew up with the SF2 crowd and the hype this series always had behind it intrigued me enough to pick up SSBB for the Wii. I just don't see the appeal to it. For all the praise that it gets, there seems to be a fairly large population that just doesn't really "get" it. Count me as one of them.

[quote name='JDMxB']I have to agree with alot of folks here -- I grew up with the SF2 crowd and the hype this series always had behind it intrigued me enough to pick up SSBB for the Wii. I just don't see the appeal to it. For all the praise that it gets, there seems to be a fairly large population that just doesn't really "get" it. Count me as one of them.[/QUOTE]

Ditto except I grew up on MK (not a big fan of fighting games)

[quote name='LostRoad']Hello flame bait thread. Wtf is the point of this, you come into a forum where the nboys are pretty damn vocal about their enjoyment of the system and talk shit about one of their top games.[/QUOTE]

+1, every game has its fans and critics, but to specifically come into a Nintendo board and talk smack about it is basically troll baiting.

I have no idea what people see in SSBB. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has played a classic fighting game could feel this game has any strategy. "Button masher" is putting it lightly.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']+1, every game has its fans and critics, but to specifically come into a Nintendo board and talk smack about it is basically troll baiting.[/QUOTE]

Except most people have responded agreeing with him.

It's fun, it may not be as good as Melee or as fresh as the original, but it's still a good time. Everyone has different taste, so you will sometimes find you dislike things that others like!

You're probably not the only one. I personally didn't hate it, but I liked Melee a lot more. Brawl's ridiculous/pointless story mode made me wish they had spent more time creating more character's and levels, or better tweaking online play.

Also, this game is not a button masher. To say that is ignorant. You cannot win by just mashing buttons, and the fact that the game includes items makes it more fun than most fighting games in my opinion. Then again Smash Bros. is not a traditional fighter and if you are expecting that you should probably look elsewhere.

I don't hate it, but I borrowed from a friend, had fun for 2 fights, then felt "meh", then returned it to him to get my copy of Geometry Wars: Galaxies back :p.

i completely disagree with the OP. I like Brawl. I'll admit it's probably my least favorite of the three. I too go Melee>64>Brawl but I do like Brawl. I don't know why you think you're alone in your smash hate. People have been hating smash since Melee. I mean are you curious to know if you're also the only person who doesn't 'get' Halo? Protip: you're not. Lots of people hate Smash. I think SOME of these people are justified I think a majority of them are hating just to hate. There's a small minority who just shouldn't be opening their mouths about a game they don't even know.

You're welcome to your opinion but as a fighting game all you really need is a core set of moves (take soul caliburs Vert, Horiz, Kick and Throw) that can be executed and cross countered and you have a decent game. If in Smash these moves are easier to perform then it just becomes a mind game of which one will your opponent throw out.

Anyway while I digress I wish to emphasize that you are not a unique special snowflake. You need to stop thinking that you're different from everyone else, that your opinion is yours becaue noone else has it. Bye and we'll see you in the "Does anyone one else find Ninja Gaiden Sigma difficult?" thread

I usually hesitate to pick MOST characters in Brawl because the word "spam" instantly comes into my head. That's why I use ZSS!

I own the game and as I started to play the game pretty much every day, I started to play less whenever I started to get all of the hidden characters and when I completed Adventure mode. Even challenging myself to play Classic mode with higher difficulty started to get old. Now I pretty much play whenever my friends nag me to play against each other.

bread's done
Back