Am I the only person who DOESN'T care for multiplayer over live/psn ??

xxtheycallmedxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've honestly feel that I tried really hard to be like most of the gamers out there and enjoy multiplayer games.I've tried to like running around the same maps over and over and killing/being killed by random 12 yrs who proceed to curse everyone out (whether there winning or losing) on games like GOW and Saints Row.

I'm the guy who doesnt mind power leveing for hours in games like oblivion,FF,and any of SMT games,but ask me to play GOW online for 10 mins and I'll absolutely refuse.Maybe because I'm not a fan of the majority of multiplayer genres (FPS,Fighter,etc.) and completely suck at ?

Or perhaps its that the multiplayer genre I DO like playing (sports) I tend to play alone (franchise mode,etc.) or with friends that dont act like sore winners/losers when playing a video game? Finally, could it be because of my belief that doing the same thing over and over online in game like halo2(for years) or GOW(for months) for an imaginary "rank" (although I know most people just find it fun) is a waste of time that could be spent playing a rpg with an actual story,ending and feeling of accomplishment after beating it ?

Please keep in mind these are just my opinions and arent meant to knock anyone who likes a certain genre or game.I'm just staying I tried to like what most people do,but feel like I'm in the vast majority of gamers today.

For me,I think it comes to down to being a only child and playing single player games for my whole childhood...then as an adult who can now afford everything needed for multiplayer gaming,I've had more bad experiences than good.I think those were the 2 main factors I dont like multiplayer....

How about you???

I like multiplayer, but I do agree that playing online with random people just isn't as satisfying as playing with people in the same room as you. Most of my multiplayer is done offline, and it's a shame developers seem to be leaning more to online experiences, rather than offline.

I wish more games would be like Warhawk, Gears of War, or Haze in which we are able to split screen and go online at the same time. That way I get the fun of playing with people I know, and I can still enjoy large scale battles that can only be offered online (or with bots).

I've never cared for online gaming. I don't like playing with random people and I don't like large scale battles. Unfortunately more and more games are getting rid of split-screen.

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']Or perhaps its that the multiplayer genre I DO like playing (sports) I tend to play alone (franchise mode,etc.) or with friends that dont act like sore winners/losers when playing a video game? Finally, could it be because of my belief that doing the same thing over and over online in game like halo2(for years) or GOW(for months) for an imaginary "rank" (although I know most people just find it fun) is a waste of time that could be spent playing a rpg with an actual story,ending and feeling of accomplishment after beating it ?

[/quote]

My feelings are quite similar to yours, as I prefer to stay offline for the most part. I'd rather play through a few RPGs, as opposed to attempting a repetitive stress injury from 150 hours of super-competitive Halo 2 madness. I also have no interest in rankings, achievements or anything else of that sort.

However, I do enjoy multiplayer, but would rather spend time with friends playing something like Perfect Dark or Twisted Metal. I tried getting into online multiplayer a few years ago, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as offline.

It's far too competitive for me. I like going online when I'm bored and sometimes you meet cool people. Other times you encounter a member of the super L337 brigade and it's mega annoying.

It depends on the game for me, but Metal Gear Online's the most fun I've ever had online with/against friends in the same room/apartment. I didn't care about whatever rank I got, though the one I did get was for picking up food whenever I got the chance during a game. :lol: I'd imagine that playing with people you know would make it much more appealing than just playing nameless strangers.

What pisses me off are the games that have online play but NO fucking offline co-op. Motorstorm and Tenchu Z.

I never really got into the whole console online thing. But then again, I've owned only a PS2, PS1, and Super Nintendo. I played Madden 04 and TOCA Race Driver 3 online a few times... didn't really find it all that exciting

its all about the people. as you mention 12yos cursing. try the cag nights.
ive played some gow with cags and its been fun, though the brokeness of that game frustrates me so i dont play much. the hostile cag chromehounds clan is some of the very best multiplayer gaming ive ever experienced.
what i dotn understand is your mention of level grinding then not seeing the point of an arbitrary level in an online game. certain games do reward your online level like an rpg.
try some cag nights, most of us are enjoyable and at the very least were not standard online assholes.

edit - as the above poster mentioned. wtf is up with butchering or just taking out offline mp? cod2 for example lets you 4 player split local but single screen lan. thats ridiculous. rant done.

I like online play, but since I play video games occasionally I don't want to pay for it. So, it's a good thing psn is free.

I like it more with friends. Playing online and listening to a bunch of whiney kids gets old after about 2 minutes.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It depends on the game for me, but Metal Gear Online's the most fun I've ever had online with/against friends in the same room/apartment. I didn't care about whatever rank I got, though the one I did get was for picking up food whenever I got the chance during a game. :lol: I'd imagine that playing with people you know would make it much more appealing than just playing nameless strangers.[/quote]

MGO was really the only online game that I played dozens of hours. It's a shame they had to put it down.

One thing I do have to say, though, is that when you play sports games like me, online play is a significant factor in my purchases. Madden would be dead to me every single year if not for online. I would not have bought FNR3 if not for the existence of online (although it's laggy as heck on PS2) because I still haven't even gotten knocked down in my career that has been set on hard from the beginning.

Sure you get your fair share of douches, but then you get that game for the ages that you simply cannot experience with the AI. Of my friends that actually play sports games, most can't offer the type of challenge that online play does.

I do love co-op and I think it is sorely underutilized. I know the second will have it, but think about how much more awesome Mercenaries would've been with a buddy.

As far as online generally goes though, it's hit or miss. Find some friends or just build up your buddy list with similar players. I think you just gotta go into it with the right mentality- you're playing simply to have fun. Forget about the rank, forget about the stats, ingore the jerks, and have fun.

Online multiplayer is totally integral to the gaming experience. Until, of course, you try it and realise that the online player pool is plagued with the biggest dildos you'll ever see, then it's talked about in snarky, cuntrag, posts on gaming messageboards when people need something to bitch about.

Until, of course, Nintendo does something to ignore it or not put huge focus on it, then it's totally integral to the gaming experience again.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only gamer who doesnt care for online multiplayer,and that people relate as to why I dislike it.I'm also not understanding why game developers are thinking people dont have siblings/friends over and would want split screen/off-line co-op mode.
I guess its a sign of the times where people are mostly people games with friends/randoms online rather than with a people in the same room.

I'll have to look into the "cag nights" I seen mentioned a few times when Two Worlds (x360) comes out.Thats proably one of the few games I'll play online.

Also, Paz9x : In regards to lv grinding/power lving,etc. I meant I dont mind doing it when its necessary for advancement to get pass a certain boss,mission or something of that nature.Other than mmorpgs,I'm not familar with online games rewarding your rank/level,although that would make more sense to me as to why people take it so seriously.

Imo though,fps multiplayers and mmorpgs that never end dont compete with a great rpg because its too time consuming and you dont get to interact with a story thats unfolding as you go along,and ultimately rewards you with a conclusion for your hours of play.

I felt FFx had one of the most dramatic and unforgettable endings in gaming history and personally cannot equate the safisfaction I got from completing that with anything I've done in an online game.I'm sure alot of people felt that way when they beat RAM on insane via co-op online which is something that I wasn't interested in doing.

So I guess the type of genre you like also plays a BIG factor in whether you game online or not.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It depends on the game for me, but Metal Gear Online's the most fun I've ever had online with/against friends in the same room/apartment. I didn't care about whatever rank I got, though the one I did get was for picking up food whenever I got the chance during a game. :lol: I'd imagine that playing with people you know would make it much more appealing than just playing nameless strangers.[/quote]

That was online heaven for me. I agree it is, depends on who you play with. Even if I were to play with a bunch of CAGs they would still be a bunch of strangers to me, not random but still strangers. When I'm new to a group or whatever, I'm generally the quiet guy so that kills any fun I would have. Now if I play with a bunch of my friends or even one friend, whether they're across the country or in the same room, I have more fun.

I remember playing MGO and me and my bud would shoot each other before each match while waiting for people or during the match we would mine the shit out of a map and talk about it afterwards. That was great fun. I tried playing Halo 2, but not knowing anybody really killed the fun out of it. Well that and the childish live players with their cursing and teabagging.

No you're not the only one. I'm a 75% singleplayer and 25% multiplayer guy. Multiplayer is still lame on consoles despite superior features, it's more the players. Live pisses me off the most just because I run into so many homeboys and fratboys, regardless of race you can't talk to them about any game because most likely they'll never have heard of it and will respond with "yo is that like Halo?". Other favourites are "hey you play madden?" and " you play vegas?". Even with the leet kiddies on the PC, whenever I go on Live it makes me go running back to the PC crowd.

OP, no you're not the only one. I've been paying for LIVE since a year or two after it's launch and rarely use it (but I keep paying for it). I'm more of a single player gamer. Give me a great single player experience and I'm very happy. If it weren't for Halo 3 coming out this year I possibly wouldn't have renewed.

Also outside of having Multipllayer (still filled with annoying people depending on the community) what other benefits do gold members get? Pretty much nothing.

Multiplayer games I've played that made LIVE worth owning for that period of time:
Star Wars Battlefront
Halo 2
Chromehounds
PGR3
^ Those are the games I played a LOT of. LIVE Halo is more torture for me than fun but I love the online leaderboards and the party system. I've played some other games also but the ones above I have probably put as much time into the multiplayer as I have the single player if not more.

I've absolutely LOVED playing certain games online.

Halo 2 with the good old Halo 2 crew (haven't played with them for a loooong time *nostalgic sigh*), Ghost Recon 2 with... the old GR2 crew *nostalgic sigh*, StarCraft 2 with mah buddies, Gears of War with Dutch and crew, Rainbow Six Vegas with the SIX crew.

I love online gaming, I just haven't really been getting back into it for a while, due to time constraints.

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']Imo though,fps multiplayers and mmorpgs that never end dont compete with a great rpg because its too time consuming and you dont get to interact with a story thats unfolding as you go along,and ultimately rewards you with a conclusion for your hours of play.[/quote]The one thing I have to disagree with you on and give HUGE props to online multiplayer is any form of TEAM PLAY on a FPS. Again this comes down to playing with the right people. Playing SOCOM, Chromehounds and even Halo with a group of people that are working as a team is a pleasure that is just not found in a single player experience. I guess I shouldn't just limit it to FPS's and just say TEAMWORK in general. But I'm very 'team minded' so it right in my groove. Which is just another reason I don't play much online.

The time it takes to find some good like minded people like yourself usually takes a while. Then you want to play with that group because everyone 'get it.' Now you all have to find a night of the week/weekend where you can all get togethor which isn't always very consistent. Before you know it people start trickling out of that game and into another game that you may or may not like/may or may not have planned to purchase. Sometimes I'll just buy a game because most of my friends have it that way I can get some use out of online multi. However that has only ever last a brief and in some cases non-existent period of time.

EDIT:
Every time I mention team I also wanted to mention strategy/gameplan.

I am fairly new to online gaming. I just moved to an area with high speed internet. So far, it has been fairly enjoyable. I do think it would be more fun with friends...though I don't really know many people w/ a 360. So...it has been me and the 12 year olds...I just turn the volume down.

On a similar note...anyone feel free to add me to their buddy list.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I just turn the volume down.[/quote]I just game with my headset unplugged. Well until those dolts voices started coming out of my speakers (can you change that?). Now I just leave the headset plugged in and don't wear it. *SIGH*

No I don't think you are OP, I'm fairly new to gaming on Live and it's really fun if you have a room full of decent people or you're co-oping through something with a friend.

I spend the majority of my gaming time flying solo, so I still want a game to have a great single-player experience first and foremost, and a solid multiplayer experience is a bonus.

Like you, I like RPGs and don't much care for FPSes... I like fighting and sports (baseball) games, but I'm not very good at them. Because of this, the only online games I play (on Live) are RPGs... PSO and PSU. These are RPGs, and are fully capable of being played single player, but also have a great co-op multiplayer component (PSO also being co-op on a single system)... which is the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. Sure, you still get the people who devote their lives to the game, but since it's co-op, that benefits you as well.

That said, a lot of times I just want to chill out with a single-player offline game.

[quote name='xxtheycallmedxx']I'm glad to see I'm not the only gamer who doesnt care for online multiplayer,and that people relate as to why I dislike it.I'm also not understanding why game developers are thinking people dont have siblings/friends over and would want split screen/off-line co-op mode.[/quote]

Every time co-op is brought up with a developer, you're sure to see a torrent of pathetic excuses as to why more games don't have it:

First it's too hard to test for (nevermind that people don't care if it's perfect, and it's ultimately not harder to test than a reasonably complex SP game)

Second, not many people want it (nevermind that everyone wants it, OR that the minority is apparently enought to drive the graphics race but not co-op)

Third, OMG like, bandwidth of physics objects is huge (nevermind that no one gives a shit about physics, yet you're still pushing hard for those)

3b OMG it's like, impossible to have world physics match up one each machine when handled clientside (nevermind that no one's doing anything game-altering with physics of that nature to begin with)

This is the way that every single conversation about co-op has gone with a dev. It's actually a great way to see just how much of a talentless hack someone can be while still pretending to have "experience". Imagine an olympic hurdles runner, who instead of taking hit hurdles as a cue to jump earlier, took them as a cue to run into them faster as surely that's the proper way to a better time. That's pretty much 90% of the devs out there. And this is what their thought process is like. You'll get any number of reasons why more people don't do co-op, and not a single fucking one of them will actually be practical.

Im a little odd in that Im a huge fan of single player games, except for first person shooters. I LOVE FPS games, but only online. I cant bear to play thru the single player or story mode of a FPS. I buy FPS games purely for the online. I have Gears and Vegas and I havent beaten the single player mode for either, but I go online with these titles all the time.

Like others have said, online is fantastic when you have friends with you, or at least people who arent retarded. The reward you get from utilizing online strategy and teamwork just cant be found in single player.

But thats the good end of the spectrum. You can also jump onto a public server with a bunch of a-holes and have a horrible online experience. And online gaming is NOT noob friendly. If your not already good at killing real people, prepare for alot of frustration. But its a learning curve thats worth suffering thru imo. Once you get decent, even if you find a server full of jerks, you can just play your game and let your score do the trash talking.

I come from the PC world and have played more than my fair share of FPS's (from Quake1->Battlefield2) and MMORPG's (EverQuest, FFXI, EQ2, Guild Wars, WoW) online.

Lately I've been catching up on console games, and realized I have little to no desire to play them online. I can attribute this to two things:
1. Most of my local friends still stick to PC gaming
2. The types of games I play on consoles is different than the PC games I play. FPS/MMORPG on the PC vs RPGs/Platformers/Puzzle games/Wii party games on consoles

So while I would say I don't care about multiplayer over Live/PSN at the moment, I can understand the draw of it and could see myself utilizing it more in the future.

I tend not to like multiplayer myself just because of the nature of most of the people that play online. I love the competition online, but it seems the majority of the people take winning way too seriously. I mean, I get pissed if I lose, but cheating, cheesing and doing other dumb stuff just to keep a record in tact gets old.

When you play a good straight up game online, it just about beats any single player mode, but it seems hard to to find it unless a bunch of your friends are on.

If I could play multiplayer, I probably would like it. I dont even have 56k, I have nothing...its lame out here in the country, dont ever move there.

I'm 75% single player and 25% multi player. I enjoy a good multi player game with people I know or people I sorta know from a gaming forum that wont be fucking retards online. The 12 year old to 15/16 year olds acting "gangsta" or throwing fits and cussing like morons ruin the online experience. If you have a few cool people to play with online it makes it so much better.

I'm in the camp that prefers multiplayer in the same room. I'm waiting patiently for somebody to make a racing game with a 4-player split-screen arena mode that's as fun as Rush 2049. And no, I don't like Twisted Metal.

My biggest complaint about XBL (and I imagine PSN although I've never used it yet) is the way that you're obligated to use your headphones and ingame chat.

Dumbass, we're racing in cars around a track, what the fuck do I have to talk about? If I win, great, if I lose, oh well.

I've been kicked out of a couple lobbies in Forza 2 just because I didn't have a headset plugged in, who fucking cares? Dorks.

When I buy a game, I buy it for the single player aspect. If it has multiplayer then I consider it a bonus. I do love co-op though.

[quote name='Halo05']My biggest complaint about XBL (and I imagine PSN although I've never used it yet) is the way that you're obligated to use your headphones and ingame chat.

Dumbass, we're racing in cars around a track, what the fuck do I have to talk about? If I win, great, if I lose, oh well.

I've been kicked out of a couple lobbies in Forza 2 just because I didn't have a headset plugged in, who fucking cares? Dorks.[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me on first online foray with the 360 in Burnout Revenge. I didn't even have the damn headset unpacked at the time :lol:. That kind of soured me on Live for a few weeks. But since then I've gotten into CAG games (Chromehounds and XBLA stuff) and it has been great. And I even talk occasionally which I really thought I wouldn't do :lol:.

XBLA really makes online gaming fun though - more so than I thought it would be. And I'm about to jump into online gaming with the Wii with Mario Strikers. In that case (unlike the 360 where it is all CAG on my friends list), I actually know someone in the neighborhood we can play with (2-on-2, me and my son against him and his - the kids are in the same class). And my brother-in-law has one (though no wireless internet yet). Plus there's lots of CAGs waiting for that game and I hope to play against them as well.

Ive actually had some good experiences in the last week with Rainbow Six Vegas. Actually meeting people who know how to play but arent assholes, and dont sound like 12 year old girls that curse 24/7.

And they dont even mind my special olympics like grenade throwing skills. ;)

For me it kind of depends:

Online games are a great way for me to have unofficial visitation with my kids.
I'm usually pretty close to them in skill level. It works out well.

Playing random people is kind of hit or miss. It's no fun to play someone who completely skunks you - you know where you never had a chance of even really playing the game. No time to even learn what you did wrong.

Playing someone else who just doesn't have the skill you have can kill it, too.

Cheaters kill it. Great - you can hack something and ruin the game for me.

Drop-outs kill it. I know this sometimes just happens but there are those times when you'll be playing the random person and they'll just drop out because they know they aren't going to win. I'll play to the end even if I know I'm going to lose.

Investment kills it for me too (this is the big one). There are those games that come around and that people start playing and by the time you realize everyone else is playing it there's just no way you'll ever catch up to their skill level before the game-hype dies down (you'll become skilled just as no one else wants to play any longer).

I do like the idea of playing against other people (even random ones) - just in that it adds the human element/competition to the game. Those things above get in the way, though.

[quote name='Halo05']My biggest complaint about XBL (and I imagine PSN although I've never used it yet) is the way that you're obligated to use your headphones and ingame chat.

I've been kicked out of a couple lobbies in Forza 2 just because I didn't have a headset plugged in, who fucking cares? Dorks.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I hate that. IMO the only situation in which one should be somewhat "obligated" to use the headset is in a team-based game/mode. But other than that, who cares? Well, obviously a lot of idiots do. But dammit, most of the time I'm gonna want to kick back and blast some music, instead of keeping everything down so I can start conversations with random gamers. Especially if I'm playing something where I'm jumping from game to game at a rather quick pace, or if I just plan on playing for a few minutes. I'm I plan on being in a specific room for a while though, I tend to use the headset.

[quote name='CAG 79']When I buy a game, I buy it for the single player aspect. If it has multiplayer then I consider it a bonus. I do love co-op though.[/QUOTE]This reminds me of how pleasantly surprised I was with Burnout 3. I had a blast with the single player and the offline multiplayer. Then MONTHS later I finally tried the game online, and I was amazed at the online Road Rage mode. It shared the same name as on of the single player modes, but it played like a totally different game! Online Road Rage is still some of the most fun I've had on XBL to date.

So that's one of the best examples of online multiplayer IMO. You totally load up the single-player/offline game, and then - in addition to just bringing the normal muliplayer modes into an online environment - you use the online mode to offer up an entirely different, unique experience!

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']I'm 75% single player and 25% multi player. I enjoy a good multi player game with people I know or people I sorta know from a gaming forum that wont be fucking retards online. The 12 year old to 15/16 year olds acting "gangsta" or throwing fits and cussing like morons ruin the online experience. If you have a few cool people to play with online it makes it so much better.[/QUOTE]I feel the same way. Lately, I've been playing online more, but that's because I've been trying a little harder to get friends to play (along with dropping a forum which never wants to play online).

As awesome as Warhawk sounds, I still wished it had an offline campaign mode or something, because that's probably what I'd play most (I'll probably suck too bad at Warhawk, so no one would want me in a clan).
[quote name='Thongsy']That was online heaven for me. I agree it is, depends on who you play with. Even if I were to play with a bunch of CAGs they would still be a bunch of strangers to me, not random but still strangers. When I'm new to a group or whatever, I'm generally the quiet guy so that kills any fun I would have. Now if I play with a bunch of my friends or even one friend, whether they're across the country or in the same room, I have more fun.

I remember playing MGO and me and my bud would shoot each other before each match while waiting for people or during the match we would mine the shit out of a map and talk about it afterwards. That was great fun. I tried playing Halo 2, but not knowing anybody really killed the fun out of it. Well that and the childish live players with their cursing and teabagging.[/QUOTE]
I understand. I'm kind of shy and quiet around those I don't know (unless I'm with members at a forum I like).

Online multiplayer is pretty much the main thing keeping me playing games at all. The only games that I will buy that don't have a robust online mode are mostly the occasional Nintendo developed game.

I do enjoy most of my time playing games online....the majority of my really good friends/family live at least 3 hours away from me. So it is fun to jump into a game with the majority of the players being one of my groomsmen.

i guess it really just depends on the mood that i am in.
I do love playing through single player games.
But i like to have a fun or competitive online experience.

Take MGS4 for example...Im' looking forward to the single player.
But a good online mode will help that game do that much better.
7 outta 10 times ill choose to play a multiplayer game then to go through a single player campaign, but it's just a preference.

Online isn't a make it or break it deal for me with games since I enjoy single player games more, but once in awhile going online and playing is nice to do if you can find decent people to play with.

bread's done
Back