Amazing Spider-Man (July 3rd) - Out Now! May contain Spoilers (use spoiler tags)

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']
Actually, I do know some people who would think of freakin' Topher from That 70s Show. Like I mentioned, Ultimate Eddie wasn't like 616 Eddie. A good amount of people I know aren't really comic book fans or people who watch Marvel animated shows so they don't know about the more original Eddie. They got into the books later in life like the introduction of Ultimate series and The New 52. Both to help bring in a new audience.

Also since you're talking about Vemon, if I were to tell my more comic fan friends about Spider-Man villians and Vemon, they are probably gonna be thinking about Flash Thompson Vemon. Also as Vemon, he's not a huge guy either and very slender like Topher. None of them are gonna think "oh, Eddie Vemon?" since he's not relevent to being Vemon anymore. This is not counting Anti-Vemon.[/QUOTE]

I think you're taking this light discussion a bit too seriously. Pulling out all kinds of references about this Venom and that alternate Venom and "how about this version or that version". :rofl: I think of Venom as being a bigger guy, apparently you think he looks a guy who should be playing the drums in the school band. Difference of thought process.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Saw this with my two young sons. I was disappointed in this version, I just can't place my finger on it. Didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Cause that guy who played him in this movie was cockier than Toby in SM3.

Honestly I felt like beating the shit out of him, cutting his hair and banging Gwen in the ass.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I think you're taking this light discussion a bit too seriously. Pulling out all kinds of references about this Venom and that alternate Venom and "how about this version or that version". :rofl: I think of Venom as being a bigger guy, apparently you think he looks a guy who should be playing the drums in the school band. Difference of thought process.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I was just making points cause when I read your comments, they seem more like fact on what Venom should be. I understand you didn't like how Venom turned out in the movies, but it's a different universe. There really is no right or wrong in a sense.

I was just saying that when you mentioned asking people about Venom, they would say the one you're thinking of. Thing is not everyone will see the same one. You argue other people's statements. I was just pointing out certain things.

If I were to accept this movie, then I would say this is one of many dimensions in the marvel universe...or an alternate timeline.

I'm surprised some people were complaining about Gwen Stacy. She was Peter Parker's first love in the comic book and she was killed by the Green Goblin. So the movie kept true to its comics roots in that regard. I wasn't too happy how they cast Aunt Mae or Uncle Ben though (No disrespect to Sally Field and Martin Sheen); I thought the original Uncle Ben and Aunt Mae were better. I don't get the whole mysterious parents dissapearing backstory though.

Mary Jane didn't appear as a love interest until the 80's comic books. She was always with Flash Thompson, the jock in the beginning.

Couple of points about the movie:
1. I also kinda want to see Spiderman helping ordinary citizens; There wasn't enough of that. In the comic book, the people of New York were secretly rooting for him even though he gets bad press from the Daily Bugle.

2. The Lizard looked awful. Why did they make his face look human? They should have completely turned him into a Lizard. He looks like a bad CG creation.

Anyways.. I thought the movie was decent but not mind blowing. At least it partially erased the memory of Spiderman 3 - Which I will go so far to say that that was one of the worst movie experiences I have ever had in the last 10 years..

[quote name='GUNNM']Meh just came back disappointing movie. Venom needs to be in the second movie or they better re-boot this shit so that he's in the first movie![/QUOTE]

lol do u know ANYTHING about the Venom character? If they rebooted yet again and had him as the villain it would be even worse than spiderman 3......

now if they want to do anything with venom, which im sure sony will, they will prob do a black suit only movie with a villian like shocker, hobgoblin, etc and introduce venom at the very end for a sequel.

then with the next movie, have them fight a bunch and end with carnage for the inevitable team up.

They would have to do a Maxium Carnage sort of story if they do Carnage as its one of the best storylines he's in as well as best known.....

so you want Venom AND done right? Your waiting for a couple more movies man.....

[quote name='ITDEFX']Cause that guy who played him in this movie was cockier than Toby in SM3.

Honestly I felt like beating the shit out of him, cutting his hair and banging Gwen in the ass.[/QUOTE]
You do know spiderman is INCREDIBLY cocky in the comics right? Annoyingly so sometimes, sometimes he is the asshole of the group that everyone puts up with cause he is a valuable asset. Hence why personalities like his and Wolverines clash so well.........

I really don't want Venom personally unless they kept it to one movie. I'd rather they use villains that haven't been used yet.

[quote name='Xevious']I'm surprised some people were complaining about Gwen Stacy. She was Peter Parker's first love in the comic book and she was killed by the Green Goblin. So the movie kept true to its comics roots in that regard.
[/QUOTE]

Some people would argue this. I like to think that Goblin killed her though.

I agree that the lizard didn't look right. Everyone bitches about CG despite the advancements over the decades.

Gwen creates a cure just like that? WTH???

So I given the fact that Connors still has some lizard in him (post credit scene), does it mean that the people who were gassed by him at the end might still have that Lizard stuff in them as well? or because Connors took too much of that stuff?

There should have been a nod to Danny Elfman's theme.......even Chris Young manage to honor that in Spiderman 3. I got the score yesterday from amazon... meh...god damn you James Horner!

so at what point does Norman and Harry enter the picture? or for that matter MJ? We need a foxy red head for her...

[quote name='whoknows']I really don't want Venom personally unless they kept it to one movie. I'd rather they use villains that haven't been used yet.[/QUOTE]

Next villain should be Kraven.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']Some people would argue this. I like to think that Goblin killed her though.[/QUOTE]

As long as Norman didnt sex her up like he did in the comics. Theres something I wish never happened...

[quote name='Erad30']Next villain should be Kraven.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't mind this. He's a pretty realistic enemy. They could probably work pretty well without going all wacky.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I want to see the black cat .[/QUOTE]
Black Cat is featured in the ASM game. Her character is somewhat built up so they wouldn't have to work hard to introduce her into a movie. Of course, they probably have to talk about her a little for people who pass on the games like non gamers.
[quote name='4thHorseman']As long as Norman didnt sex her up like he did in the comics. Theres something I wish never happened...[/QUOTE]

Ughh....I hated this so much. It makes no sense to me. It's whatever. I try to pretend the Goblin twins are not real either.

I know it is off topic but does anyone know if the monthly digital plan with Marvel works on Android phones? I'm tempted to pay the 60 a year to read the older comics but would rather read them on my phone or a tablet. Reading this thread has me wanting to read the older comics.. I guess I can track down the essentials.

5x2TOJDcvkyhvhXc9QRhrg2.jpg

Finally saw it today. I enjoyed it. First half of the movie kind of left me wanting more, but by the end I felt like I got more. It felt a little cheesy at times, but that mostly boils down to Spidey's sense of humor. The action scenes were awesome and I loved the atmosphere of the movies, especially the sewer fight and the end scene. Definitely prefer Garfield and Stone over McGuire and Dunst though, by far.

I really enjoyed it, so I'd give it about a solid 8/10. Avengers, for me, was an easy 10/10 and I'm hoping Dark Knight Rises manages to be that good as well.

With the Vampire craze going on since Twilight I'm surprised they haven't included Morbius by now.

[quote name='sendme']I know it is off topic but does anyone know if the monthly digital plan with Marvel works on Android phones? I'm tempted to pay the 60 a year to read the older comics but would rather read them on my phone or a tablet. Reading this thread has me wanting to read the older comics.. I guess I can track down the essentials.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not. That's the only thing that's held me back from getting the subscription too. Comixology is running on 99 cent sale on the first 70 issues of Ultimate Spider Man though if you want to get your Spider Man fix on your phone/tablet.

Back on topic, I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I've seen the first movie, but I think this one is probably as good or a little better than that.

[quote name='Clak']With the Vampire craze going on since Twilight I'm surprised they haven't included Morbius by now.[/QUOTE]

Well this is a reboot. I'm sure it's always smart to start with a villian that is known. Better for Lizard cause people are aware of Connar because of the original trilogy. Though in the ASM game, Morbius is mentioned by name. I know it's a game, but it does take place after the movie. That and there are series that share conntinuty story between films/games/books. Though they could easily just change their mind and not share the story of the game when/if they make part 2.

I enjoyed this one much more than the first movie. The first one always seemed a little Power Rangers-ish, particularly during any fight scene. This one isn't perfect either, but better than the first.

Okay, they have a new spidey. Great. Now, Sony, fox and Disney need to work their crap out so Wolverine and Spidey get in Avengers 2. just work out a fair contract and pay character rights(% of profits?) for just one movie.

[quote name='Mid Boss']Unfortunately not. That's the only thing that's held me back from getting the subscription too. Comixology is running on 99 cent sale on the first 70 issues of Ultimate Spider Man though if you want to get your Spider Man fix on your phone/tablet.

Back on topic, I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I've seen the first movie, but I think this one is probably as good or a little better than that.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it would work. I will check out that Comixology.

[quote name='6er']Okay, they have a new spidey. Great. Now, Sony, fox and Disney need to work their crap out so Wolverine and Spidey get in Avengers 2. just work out a fair contract and pay character rights(% of profits?) for just one movie.[/QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that was being talked about. I'm just not sure how Spidey would work in The Avengers.

[quote name='Clak']With the Vampire craze going on since Twilight I'm surprised they haven't included Morbius by now.[/QUOTE]

The current story in the Amazing Spider-Man comic deals with Lizard and Morbius. I don't know what Connors' fate is in this movie, but they could use it as a basis for the sequel possibly.

Saw this today, I enjoyed it but the original first 2 were far and away better. Goblin and Ock were so much better than the Lizard. I had a tough time getting over Lizard's face, he looked unbelievably stupid.

[quote name='moon_knight']The lizard needed a snout[/QUOTE]

It's like when they were designing him they were about to give him a snout since his mouth is super wide but then stopped for some reason. Or the animator forgot to pull his face out.

I can't imagine him with the crocodile face talking looking anything but stupid. Maybe it could have looked okay, but I doubt it.

He would have needed to never talk if they went that route IMO.

[quote name='whoknows']I can't imagine him with the crocodile face talking looking anything but stupid. Maybe it could have looked okay, but I doubt it.

He would have needed to never talk if they went that route IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost positive that the Lizard was never portrayed anywhere with a stupid flat face, comic or cartoon, there would be no reason for him to not look right talking.

Good thing it's the movie, and not the comic or cartoon. Sometimes change is needed, and in this case I think it was. Imagine a crocodile talking, how can that not look silly? If they weren't going for a semi-realistic look then maybe they could have made it work sort of, but I can't imaging anyone being able to take it seriously.

[quote name='sendme']
I thought I read somewhere that was being talked about. I'm just not sure how Spidey would work in The Avengers.[/QUOTE]

I feel it could work. Would be cool IF they could get him in there. They could easily get in a story of him and Tony working together to make his entrance more believable.

They should just say fuck it and do the Iron Spider, that would at least give Spidey a reason for being in the movie.

I really enjoyed this movie. I think it was better than any previous Spiderman movie.

Sure there were tons of faults in the movie (bad overall plot, lots of plot holes, stupid costume, etc) but it was a pretty good package overall. I really like the way they had spiderman move and they were able to keep the CGI to a minimum. I loved the fight scenes in the movie; they were a bit short, but very well done.

I am not saying I hated the movie but it did not bowl me over. I saw the 1st Spiderman (Rami) the Friday it came out and that movie blew me away. I just think Rami did a much better job with the origin story. Garfield's Spidey was too much angst...he was a smart ass but in a sort of dickish way. I will give the series a 2nd go but for me it was too soon for the reboot.

The only cool thing this movie did was give spider man spider moves. Like using webbing to feel if something was coming or quickly wrapping the croc in webbing like a spider does before it eats it. Its amazing how every super hero can make a costume just by buying a wet suit through a magazine btw.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Garfield's Spidey was too much angst...he was a smart ass but in a sort of dickish way[/QUOTE]

But that is what Spider-Man is. He's somewhat of a smartass dick, but sarcastic enough to not seem hated. It's one thing I didn't like about Toby's Spidey.

[quote name='Rock_Dash3X']But that is what Spider-Man is. He's somewhat of a smartass dick, but sarcastic enough to not seem hated. It's one thing I didn't like about Toby's Spidey.[/QUOTE]

It just may be Garfield then. I was just not sold on him. I thought Emma Stone was the best in the movie. She was a more believable romantic interest for Spidey than Kristen Dunst was.

When it comes down to it I thought this movie was good but just not that different from the 1st movie. Yeah the mood was darker and it felt more grounded in reality but I still feel like the previous trilogy is "my Spiderman" for this time period (for better or worse). I can see this trilogy getting better (and much darker) but I cannot stop comparing which is a problem.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am not saying I hated the movie but it did not bowl me over. I saw the 1st Spiderman (Rami) the Friday it came out and that movie blew me away. I just think Rami did a much better job with the origin story. Garfield's Spidey was too much angst...he was a smart ass but in a sort of dickish way. I will give the series a 2nd go but for me it was too soon for the reboot.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you pal!

I truly wonder what would have happened if Nolan directed this movie.

I'm sure its been mentioned already, but in an effort to stay spoiler-free, I haven't been following this thread. What's the verdict on the 3D? Is it worth it? I normally wouldn't care, but I'm wondering if 3D web swinging is any good.

[quote name='cancerman1120']It just may be Garfield then. I was just not sold on him. I thought Emma Stone was the best in the movie. She was a more believable romantic interest for Spidey than Kristen Dunst was.
[/QUOTE]

Probably. Not really sold on him either. I mean, as Spider-Man sure whatever. But as Peter idk. Something about him just puts me off for some reason.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I'm sure its been mentioned already, but in an effort to stay spoiler-free, I haven't been following this thread. What's the verdict on the 3D? Is it worth it? I normally wouldn't care, but I'm wondering if 3D web swinging is any good.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Sony went back and redid the first 3 in 3d... It's NOT WORTH IT in 3d.

I think the reason a lot of us think its great but not awesome is because we saw the first three. This movie really didn't need to be made.

What, is there even a 5% chance that ASM 2 will be better than SM2?

[quote name='6er']I think the reason a lot of us think its great but not awesome is because we saw the first three. This movie really didn't need to be made.

What, is there even a 5% chance that ASM 2 will be better than SM2?[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I kept hoping to have that feeling of amazement and it was just not there. I mean the CGI and stunts were top notch but I felt like I had already experienced it. Parker becoming Spidey that is.

Also agree, they are going to have to really take the 2nd ASM somewhere special to top SM2.

bread's done
Back