Amazon 02/26/12 DOTD - LOTR EE BD set - $49.49

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Amazon will have the LOTR EE BD on their DOTD for today, 02/26/12, though the price hasn't been set yet.

FYI for anyone that missed it on BB.com or Walmart.com deals.

I'll set this as a wiki post, so if someone sees the price before I do, please update the thread.

Listed as $49.49

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I saw it at $49.49 a few minutes ago which is certainly a nice price but I was lucky enough to get it for $34.99 before Walmart.com went OOS

Yeah its $49.49 now when you click on item even though it says "coming soon" on link from email. After missing out on both Walmart and Best Buy sales yesterday I was stoked to see this now, and right when I was headed to bed... glad I saw the email or it would of been another sux to be me moment like this morning when I was up when it was posted but didnt check here til after both were OOS.

[quote name='shrike4242']Amazon will have the LOTR EE BD on their DOTD for today, 02/26/12, though the price hasn't been set yet.

FYI for anyone that missed it on BB.com or Walmart.com deals.

I'll set this as a wiki post, so if someone sees the price before I do, please update the thread.

Listed as $49.49[/QUOTE]

Can't believe I'm the only one who hates that each movie is split onto two discs. Even p Jackson doesn't like it.

[quote name='IRHari']Can't believe I'm the only one who hates that each movie is split onto two discs. Even p Jackson doesn't like it.[/QUOTE]

They're each 4+ hours and look fantastic on blu. I'm willing to overlook a 30 second gap and having to change the discs. They did a pretty good job of finding a natural place to split it anyway.

[quote name='IRHari']Can't believe I'm the only one who hates that each movie is split onto two discs. Even p Jackson doesn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Wait, for real? Every movie is split in two? You need to switch discs in the middle? That is the craziest thing I've heard in quite some time.

[quote name='houdinilogic']They're each 4+ hours and look fantastic on blu. I'm willing to overlook a 30 second gap and having to change the discs. They did a pretty good job of finding a natural place to split it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Is it really just a 30 second gap or does the player force you through 5 minutes of previews? haha

But yeah, would have bought if it was the Walmart price....

[quote name='SDC']Wait, for real? Every movie is split in two? You need to switch discs in the middle? That is the craziest thing I've heard in quite some time.[/QUOTE]

Would you rather it be compressed to one disc and have a shittier transfer and worse audio?

[quote name='ssjmichael']Would you rather it be compressed to one disc and have a shittier transfer and worse audio?[/QUOTE]

It's not that it could be "compressed" or degraded somehow by putting it on one BD-50... the only reason that it's on 2 discs is that it was already mastered in 2 parts for the EE DVD and lazy New Line didn't want to pay for a remaster.

There would be no step down in quality by putting it on a single 50, this is just laziness.

[quote name='zenintrude']It's not that it could be "compressed" or degraded somehow by putting it on one BD-50... the only reason that it's on 2 discs is that it was already mastered in 2 parts for the EE DVD and lazy New Line didn't want to pay for a remaster.

There would be no step down in quality by putting it on a single 50, this is just laziness.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a source to confirm that they just used the same masters they did for the EE DVD?

[quote name='houdinilogic']They're each 4+ hours and look fantastic on blu. I'm willing to overlook a 30 second gap and having to change the discs. They did a pretty good job of finding a natural place to split it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Return of the king is the only EE that might not be able to fit, as it's around 250 minutes.

You have to factor in the audio tracks too (many not found on the DVD versions like DTS-HD Master 6.1), which can take up a good amount of data too. Each disc has about 30+ gigs of data on them so I really don't see how they could fit on one disc. I don't buy the reasoning that it's because they just used the Masters they made when they released the DVD's considering the improvements from that version and the fact that I've read various places that say these were remastered versions of the films. Of course if you have a source that proves otherwise then by all means provide it.

Yeah in order to fit it on one disc, they would have to reduce the bitrate of the video stream, which would in turn compromise the quality. I would be interested in seeing evidence to the contrary.

But it's all moot to me because since I play blu-rays on my TV via my computer, I just rip both discs to the HD and play from there. No pause between the parts then :).

Its not the length of the movie that is forcing it to be 2 disc, its the fact that each movie has the movie + 4 full length commentary tracks each.

Dont know for sure but werent later dvd releases of the trilogy on 1 disc? The ones that had reg and extended cuts but gutted alot of the other bonus material from extended editions.

bread's done
Back