Amazon 09/14/11 DOTD - The Pacific (DVD - $31.49 / BD - $38.99) Dead

This is the cheapest this set has ever been IIRC.

It might go lower during BF, but if you don't want to chance it or wait, then now is as good a time as any.

this is definitely an excellent series and well worth the price. it sorta has a different feeling from band of brothers though. BoB focused on easy company as a whole, but the pacific tends to concentrate on 3-5 characters. and for those who might care, HBO is bundling the BoB set with the pacific along with some new special features for the holiday season.

[quote name='masterchief2291']this is definitely an excellent series and well worth the price. it sorta has a different feeling from band of brothers though. BoB focused on easy company as a whole, but the pacific tends to concentrate on 3-5 characters. and for those who might care, HBO is bundling the BoB set with the pacific along with some new special features for the holiday season.[/QUOTE]

As someone that owns neither but is interested in both, I'll wait it out for this new edition. Thanks for the info.

On the fence for the blu-ray version but I think the dvd version is much cheaper online at places like half.com. ($16.43 plus shipping)

Definitely thinking about it, I checked Best Buy and they have it for $70! Any actions scenes/violence or? I'm definitely interested in blind buying this.

I wouldn't buy this personally, since it doesn't hold a candle to Band of Brothers. Rental maybe, but not worth owning.

[quote name='Jodou']I wouldn't buy this personally, since it doesn't hold a candle to Band of Brothers. Rental maybe, but not worth owning.[/QUOTE]

I personally disagree. The Pacific delves more into the characters than Band of Brother ever did and for the better. I can see how many would like this better than BOB. Personally the war in the Pacific is not talked about enough and in many ways was much more brutal than the one in Europe. And this does an excellent job of showing that. To me this is a must own!

minor historical spoiler:
For crying out loud it tells the story of a guy who won the Medal of Honor twice!!!

Sold. This is a blind buy for me since I've yet to watch anything more than the first episode (which came with the BoB blu). I've been waiting on a good deal for this for a while.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Extra 20% off with Amazon Visa and coupon code "sep20off".[/QUOTE]

damn, forgot all about that. Sitll not sure if I want to use it on this though. I hate that it can only be used once (well per account but I'm not making others).

[quote name='ssjmichael']Even if you think BoB is superior, that in no way makes The Pacific bad, or not worth owning either.[/QUOTE]

I own both on bluray now (BoB showed up from GoHastings yesterday), and can say without hesitation that they are both excellent on their own merits. If you liked BoB enough to own it, The Pacific should be in your collection right next to it.

Finally! I been waiting for a 50% off sale or more on the Blu-ray version. I love HBO shows, but they overprice their sets and are only worth buying when Best Buy or someone has their annual 50% off HBO sets.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']The Pacific delves more into the characters than Band of Brother ever did and for the better.[/QUOTE]
And that's the problem, these characters just plain aren't interesting. The series focuses on Lucky and at some point it just turns into a love story, losing focus on the war. The other problem is the guys are all split up for the most part, only crossing paths here and there. This is why Band of Brothers is superior, because character development is told through just putting them together and the story writes itself.

BTW, I kept waiting for Speilberg to give the Jurassic Park kid a toy T-Rex or at least some easter egg in there somewhere lol.

I'm with Jodou I thought the series was good but in no way even close to BoB. I wanted to like it as much but it just didn't hold my attention the way BoB does.

On another note the audio alone on the Blu-rays for both of these series is totally amazing. If you have the setup you have to go Blu they're truly incredible.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I personally disagree. The Pacific delves more into the characters than Band of Brother ever did and for the better. I can see how many would like this better than BOB. Personally the war in the Pacific is not talked about enough and in many ways was much more brutal than the one in Europe. And this does an excellent job of showing that. To me this is a must own! [/QUOTE]

I would say The Pacific focuses on three characters (including giving one a fictional love story for an episode). The supporting cast is mostly interchangeable because they're not that well developed making it really easy to forget their names, especially with a fractured narrative. It could've been much stronger if they made Sydney the third character instead of Basilone because he was the link between Eugene and Bob.

I still enjoyed The Pacific, but there was never really a sense of what they were trying to accomplish.

[quote name='Jodou']And that's the problem, these characters just plain aren't interesting. The series focuses on Lucky and at some point it just turns into a love story, losing focus on the war. The other problem is the guys are all split up for the most part, only crossing paths here and there. This is why Band of Brothers is superior, because character development is told through just putting them together and the story writes itself.

BTW, I kept waiting for Speilberg to give the Jurassic Park kid a toy T-Rex or at least some easter egg in there somewhere lol.[/QUOTE]

While I respect your opinion I couldn't disagree more. While it does follow several characters I thought it moved through the different stories effortlessly. I thought the "love" story(s) were well placed personally. It wasn't just Band of Brothers it was hey we're all brothers but there is a whole world out there too even with a war going on. And for those that haven't seen it there was plenty of war in this you ain't buying no romantic comedy.

Nice. Quick question. I have a $5 Amazon Kindle gift card, can that be used on anything on Amazon besides Kindle books? Thanks.

Just throwing this out there. On Amazon.co.uk you can preorder a box set of Band of Brothers and The Pacific bluray, region free for the total usd price of $52.77. It's released Nov 7th.

[quote name='CarltonBanks85']Just throwing this out there. On Amazon.co.uk you can preorder a box set of Band of Brothers and The Pacific bluray, region free for the total usd price of $52.77. It's released Nov 7th.[/QUOTE]

Just ordered this one - thanks for letting us know - the US version is a bit over 130 so this kind of works itself out to be a better deal - perhaps not the exact same set, but both series in Hd for 53, not too shabby... Unless Im missing something here? Now what to do with my gold box Pacific set that I just recently ordered. Craigslist...

Thanks again, Carlton...who knew, years after your career as a Will Smith punching bag, you'd be able to help us little folk out... ;)

Goddammit, I want this. I'm going to have to wait a couple more years for this to drop in price. I'm not going to watch it anytime soon because I watched it on HBOHD (which I'm sure the Blu-ray version blows out of the water).

If you like Band of Brothers or any HBO programming, and you haven't watched The Pacific, you need to buy it.

bread's done
Back