Amazon: Burnout Paradise [360] $39.99

Is Amazon officially charging tax on NYS residents...I know when I ordered on Monday it said "may be subject to tax" which lead me to be believe that the court would grant their request for at least a preliminary injunction.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Is Amazon officially charging tax on NYS residents...I know when I ordered on Monday it said "may be subject to tax" which lead me to be believe that the court would grant their request for at least a preliminary injunction.[/quote]

Yup, starting yesterday

[quote name='jacknicklson']Yup, starting yesterday[/QUOTE]

Wow, thats going to put a damper on amazon business. I heard the same is going to happen in CT, our governor wants sales tax on all internet items.

Free shipping is nice, but no tax is another reason I've always ordered from Amazon. Saves me a good $3+ normally.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Yup, starting yesterday[/QUOTE]

Wow, I hadn't heard of this. What about NJ? Is this a state-by-state thing?

[quote name='Haggar']Wow, I hadn't heard of this. What about NJ? Is this a state-by-state thing?[/quote]

Not yet, but I can almost guarantee it is in the works.

its a great game, i just saw that i've put in 60+ hours into it, still haven't found all the events, and only have about 64% of the game complete...

[quote name='ivanctorres']Is Amazon officially charging tax on NYS residents...I know when I ordered on Monday it said "may be subject to tax" which lead me to be believe that the court would grant their request for at least a preliminary injunction.[/quote]

Believe so......lame!!

Go Blue!!

I really loved playing this online with my buddies (the challenges are a hoot) and at $40, it's a steal in my opinion.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Not yet, but I can almost guarantee it is in the works.[/quote]

I think the fools in Trenton have enough good sense not to waste everyone's time with such a tax code change with the hanging threat of a Federal court declaring the law unconstitutional.

The whole reason states don't levy taxes on most e-commerce businesses is because of Federal interstate commerce rules. Traditionally, you only pay taxes for an e-commerce purchase when the seller has operations in your state. New York is claiming that Amazon's affiliates may be located in New York state and therefore the company is subject to collecting tax. However, the affiliates are not in fact owned or operated by Amazon giving Amazon IMO a strong leg in court. However, if the courts rule in favor of New York, the danger of this law is the possibility that it could be applied to eBay.

Anyway, Burnout Paradise is a hot game that I've had my eye on. Sadly however, I have GTA IV to play instead. Had they lowered the price the week GTA was released -- as I had hoped -- I'd have held off on buying GTA. Of course that Wal-Mart GTA deal was too hot to pass up anyway. Come to think of it old Wally didn't charge me NJ state tax on that purchase!

[quote name='bigscoot4269']much cheaper on gamefly if u dont mind it being used[/quote]
eGGZACKLEE!!!

[quote name='bobphone']Used is gross, kids.[/QUOTE]

I know. Homeless people buy used games.

I never buy used stuff. Ever. It just grosses me out.

[quote name='Haggar']I know. Homeless people buy used games.

I never buy used stuff. Ever. It just grosses me out.[/quote]

I don't buy it because half the time it doesn't work, but I don't get to the scratched part until way later on. Plus, if you get something used from gamestop, it's 10% less than new (which could be easily matched with a best buy 10% off coupon) and you know they gave some kid like $3 for it, buffed off the pizza stains, and pawned it off to the next lucky customer for $35.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wow, thats going to put a damper on amazon business. I heard the same is going to happen in CT, our governor wants sales tax on all internet items.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but you know what the upshot is?

People shop locally because there's no point in shopping online anymore!

Then, when the court rules against the tax because it violates the interstate commerce clause, if it's kept quiet enough, maybe people keep the business local.

bread's done
Back