Amazon.com PS3 Slim 120GB Preorder Now Available $299

retail sucks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=pe_24010_12820090_fe_exp_1/

I just received an email about this from Amazon.

PlayStation 3 120 GB purchase limit policy
As you may know, the PlayStation 3 120 GB is in great demand, and there are shortages of this product across the U.S. In an effort to provide as many customers as possible with the opportunity to purchase PlayStation 3 120 GB, we are limiting the total number of PlayStation 3 120 GB units that can be purchased. As a result, each household may only purchase one PlayStation 3 120 GB unit. See additional policy details here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ShirAhava']I don't own a TV with composite hookups so getting a ps2 isn't an option (hdmi or bust!)[/QUOTE]

Bullshit. I have a 2008 Samsung LN46A650 that was priced about $1800, and even that has composite inputs (2 sets actually). My 2008 $2,000 Denon receiver has a crap load of composite inputs as well. You do know that they also make component cables for PS2/3, right?

I jumped on a 80GB bundle at sams today. Came with MLB show 09 and quantum of solace bd. 296.00.

I really do not care for the styling of the newer slim. That coupled with the fact that the current model has proven hardware. Is MLB the show 09 any good?

I'll stay out of the BC discussion - that one's been debated to death. I'm wondering if anybody heard if they added IR to the slim?

While there are few games now that are interesting (new and different to me as a current 360 owner), the BluRay still is a prime selling point and it would be nice to be able to use my Harmony/universal remote without dropping another $60 on an adapter (or $20 on separate remote).

I'm thinking about buying one. But I want to watch the older versions first. They're likely to drop in price and be an even better deal than this (if I buy used that is. But I'm running the risk of getting faulty hardware) But I also really like the new design. I owned the original PS3 for about a month but sold it because none of the games I wanted were coming out for a while. But I thought back then that it was needlessly huge and oddly shaped. Though I will miss the touch sensitive buttons.

I'm a bit worried that more people will accidentally buy a funstation though. They look kind of alike.

[quote name='fatboyjam']I'm wondering if anybody heard if they added IR to the slim? .[/QUOTE]

I would prob sell my MGS4 PS3 if they added IR to this, but it doesn't look like they did based on the photos I've seen.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So MSRP is a deal now? You can pre-order these at a lot of places.[/QUOTE]

Most other stores have tax so that's a deal, say $25 tax in most states & free shipping is a good deal because the average drive to pick it up in store is $5 for a couple gallons of gas.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm a big 360 user and I'm gonna get the PS3 because I like having more toys.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm a big Xbox 360 fan & I've been holding out for a while because of the PS3's pricing but I have no excuse for not picking one up now. Also, I do not care about BC since I own a PS2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pucker']No backwards compatibility = no buy[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Sony seems to have put BC out to pasture, and that's a shame. I'm far more interested in PS2 games than I am in overpriced blurays or a huge HDD that I'll never come close to filling.

Something is behind this decision not to include it anymore.
Perhaps people using games they already own or buying preowned PS2 games or something.

Reminds me of Nintendo in the old days, before they learned their lesson.

Somebody posted about Best Buy offering a 25 dollar gift card with a 250 dollar purchase, but I can't find that now. Anybody have a link to that?

[quote name='evo t rex']Absolutely! Sony seems to have put BC out to pasture, and that's a shame. I'm far more interested in PS2 games than I am in overpriced blurays or a huge HDD that I'll never come close to filling.

Perhaps people using games they already own or buying preowned PS2 games or something.[/QUOTE]

To be frank, Sony isn't going to say it but they're still making a decent amount of money from PS2 hardware sales, and there's a chance that re-introducing BC would cannibalize a good portion of those sales. I want BC as much as the next person, but I could certainly understand why at this point in time Sony has yet to bring back BC.

I do believe it will come at some point, most likely with the introduction of PS2 titles to PSN. But I would imagine until Sony sees a significant drop in PS2 hardware sales, we won't see BC.

[quote name='evo t rex']I'm far more interested in PS2 games than I am in overpriced blurays or a huge HDD that I'll never come close to filling.
[/QUOTE]

I'm far more interested in buying ps3 games for the ps3 I plan on buying this weekend.

[quote name='TheToE']I jumped on a 80GB bundle at sams today. Came with MLB show 09 and quantum of solace bd. 296.00.

I really do not care for the styling of the newer slim. That coupled with the fact that the current model has proven hardware. Is MLB the show 09 any good?[/QUOTE]

MLB 09 the Show is awesome. Great graphics and gameplay and if you have someone to play with its much better. Road to the show is great too though.

[quote name='xhonzi']So... how much for an IR adapter?[/QUOTE]

The Nyko one is somewhere between $10-15... I forget but it isnt that expensive. The problem is just that you cant have a "Power" button via IR. The IR thing isn't a big deal to me anymore but I can def. see how it bugs people.

What Was the Amazon deal,? Trade $75 of games, get an extra $75 credit towards the purchase of videogame hardware

So that $299.99 No Tax Free Shipping - $75 - 75, thats a $150 PS3.

I love the No Tax part that saves me $20 right there.

On second though I may hold off on buying the SLIM PS3, because, What you will see in 2 weeks is when Retailers start seeing all of these PS3 FATS they bought from Sony, Not selling because the Slim is nicer and right next to it is, retailers Bundling a game of your choice, with the FAT PS3.

which may come nicely now that MAdden 10, Batman, and Uncharted 2.

[quote name='Master Ninja']On second though I may hold off on buying the SLIM PS3, because, What you will see in 2 weeks is when Retailers start seeing all of these PS3 FATS they bought from Sony, Not selling because the Slim is nicer and right next to it is, retailers Bundling a game of your choice, with the FAT PS3.

which may come nicely now that MAdden 10, Batman, and Uncharted 2.[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that theory. Most b&m retailers are already sold out of ps3 phats.

[quote name='evo t rex']Absolutely! Sony seems to have put BC out to pasture, and that's a shame. I'm far more interested in PS2 games than I am in overpriced blurays or a huge HDD that I'll never come close to filling.
[/QUOTE]

Then buy a PS2 and shut the fuck up. Does every PS3 has to be trolled by idiots?

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Then buy a PS2 and shut the fuck up. Does every PS3 has to be trolled by idiots?[/QUOTE]
360 fanboys are feeling the pressure so they have to make up new excuses why the ps3 isn't for them. :roll:

Most people I know (including me) that have a bc ps3 don't even use it to play ps2 game any longer.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']To be frank, Sony isn't going to say it but they're still making a decent amount of money from PS2 hardware sales, and there's a chance that re-introducing BC would cannibalize a good portion of those sales. I want BC as much as the next person, but I could certainly understand why at this point in time Sony has yet to bring back BC.

I do believe it will come at some point, most likely with the introduction of PS2 titles to PSN. But I would imagine until Sony sees a significant drop in PS2 hardware sales, we won't see BC.[/QUOTE]

For shame, you brought logic to the internet.

BC would kill the Ps2 and Sony is not ready to do that yet. When they are, BC will come back in the form of software emulation. But then people will bitch about software emulation and whine for the hardware from gen1 PS3's.

Perhaps people using games they already own or buying preowned PS2 games or something.

Reminds me of Nintendo in the old days, before they learned their lesson.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but this has to be the dumbest thing I've read today. So you'd want Sony to put BC in the PS3 just so you can play PS2 games? If you don't care about Blu-ray movies, hard drive space, or PS3 games, why don't you just buy a PS2 for $99......?

The reason I WANT BC is because there are still old games like Jax and Daxter (which I've recently beaten on my ps2) that I missed on out. Another reason is that in the event that my PS2 (6 years and running) dies, my ENTIRE PS2 collection will go to waste because I'm not going to want to spend $99 for a new PS2. Another reason is that it's way more convenient and saves space to have one console that can do it all. I still don't understand why Sony just doesn't make PS2 BC an optional download that people can buy off the PS store. It would make everyone happy and there would be no need for this discussion.

I mean believe or not, there are still people in the world who can play old ps2 games and still play next gen games. There are going to be a lot of people interested in the God of War franchise when the buzz goes up before the release of the third one in March. People who are new will probably want to go back and play the older ones as they were great and so they can follow the story.

[quote name='Pucker']No backwards compatibility = no buy[/QUOTE]

Backwards compatibility (hardware emulation) takes huge resources from the CPU even when not in use. This is the same reason that the XBox 360 removed all hardware emulation from their consoles. The new version PS3 will be faster and more capable than the fat, shiny models.

I hear the release date is September 3rd for the Slim.

[quote name='indieinsd']For shame, you brought logic to the internet.

BC would kill the Ps2 and Sony is not ready to do that yet. When they are, BC will come back in the form of software emulation. But then people will bitch about software emulation and whine for the hardware from gen1 PS3's.[/QUOTE]
Sony's business logic sometimes defies me. If you don't want to phase out a console, why release it's successor at all? :wall:

[quote name='mdmola']I'm sorry but this has to be the dumbest thing I've read today. So you'd want Sony to put BC in the PS3 just so you can play PS2 games? If you don't care about Blu-ray movies, hard drive space, or PS3 games, why don't you just buy a PS2 for $99......?

The reason I WANT BC is because there are still old games like Jax and Daxter (which I've recently beaten on my ps2) that I missed on out. Another reason is that in the event that my PS2 (6 years and running) dies, my ENTIRE PS2 collection will go to waste because I'm not going to want to spend $99 for a new PS2. Another reason is that it's way more convenient and saves space to have one console that can do it all. I still don't understand why Sony just doesn't make PS2 BC an optional download that people can buy off the PS store. It would make everyone happy and there would be no need for this discussion.

I mean believe or not, there are still people in the world who can play old ps2 games and still play next gen games. There are going to be a lot of people interested in the God of War franchise when the buzz goes up before the release of the third one in March. People who are new will probably want to go back and play the older ones as they were great and so they can follow the story.[/QUOTE]

No reason to think Sony won't announce something at TGS, or a ps2 download service similar to what the 360 has. That being said, I have a bc ps3 and it was well worth the $500 I paid.

[quote name='leehom']

Most people I know (including me) that have a bc ps3 don't even use it to play ps2 game any longer.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those people who don't use the BC. The ps2 games look like crap on a big screen, especially my 50" Samsung. So i just keep it hooked up in my bedroom to a CRT. All this talk about BC is ridiculous. Some could say they want to save space but seriously, is the ps2 slim all that large to take up a hefty amount of space in a entertainment room? There's always a complaint about something. You can't have your cake......

[quote name='leehom']360 fanboys are feeling the pressure so they have to make up new excuses why the ps3 isn't for them. :roll:

Most people I know (including me) that have a bc ps3 don't even use it to play ps2 game any longer.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!! I myself have BC and I rarely ever use that option. I'm all about TODAY'S GAME!!! PS2 games are so BACK IN THE PAST!

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Sony's business logic sometimes defies me. If you don't want to phase out a console, why release it's successor at all? :wall:[/QUOTE]

Why the hell would they settle for one source of revenue when they can have two? Sounds like better business logic to me.

[quote name='alivetilldawn']No reason to think Sony won't announce something at TGS, or a ps2 download service similar to what the 360 has. That being said, I have a bc ps3 and it was well worth the $500 I paid.[/QUOTE]

I don't want a damn PS2 download service. I want PS2 BC software that I can AT LEAST pay for myself. Do you understand that there are people who have 60+ PS2 games in their collection or there are people who would be willing to buy hard copies of PS2 games to experience older franchises before they play the PS3 versions of them?

If Sony charged $80 for an PS2 BC software (that's good) on the PS Store, don't you think that they could easily profit off that?

Even if they spent millions on R&D to get the emulation right, they could easily make a nice profit margin on it.

Consider this, there are 24 million PS3 owners world wide.

I can guarantee that 1 million people world wide would pay for the optional BC. That's 1/24. I don't know the figures that have older PS3s with BC, but lets say 12 million have PS3s with no BC. That's 1/12 people who would want to pay for it.

1 000 000 x $80 = $80 000 000

[quote name='mdmola']I'm sorry but this has to be the dumbest thing I've read today. So you'd want Sony to put BC in the PS3 just so you can play PS2 games? If you don't care about Blu-ray movies, hard drive space, or PS3 games, why don't you just buy a PS2 for $99......?

I mean believe or not, there are still people in the world who can play old ps2 games and still play next gen games. There are going to be a lot of people interested in the God of War franchise when the buzz goes up before the release of the third one in March. People who are new will probably want to go back and play the older ones as they were great and so they can follow the story.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree with everything said here.

[quote name='Kandal']AMEN!!! I myself have BC and I rarely ever use that option. I'm all about TODAY'S GAME!!! PS2 games are so BACK IN THE PAST![/QUOTE]

That's fine, but it's not all about you and what you personally want. If Sony offered BC as a purchase then it would satisfy both parties..

I was at Sam's Club tonight and they had 1 MLB 09/Quantum of Solace bundle left for $296, so I snagged it. I had planned on buying a slim, but getting the fat gets me a free game and movie. Plus I think the fat systems will hold their value down the road due to them no longer being available.

[quote name='Master Ninja']On second though I may hold off on buying the SLIM PS3, because, What you will see in 2 weeks is when Retailers start seeing all of these PS3 FATS they bought from Sony, Not selling because the Slim is nicer and right next to it is, retailers Bundling a game of your choice, with the FAT PS3.

which may come nicely now that MAdden 10, Batman, and Uncharted 2.[/QUOTE]

In my area the fat is already near impossible to find. None of the Wal-Mart stores in my area have any. Best Buy had only 1 80GB system when I was there a couple of days ago. Sam's Club near me had one bundle left and that's it, which I bought.

[quote name='chuckywang']Well, I just bought the slim with my $75 Amazon systems code. Somebody please tell me I made the right decision ....[/QUOTE]
If I had the $75 off a console code I would have done the exact same thing.

[quote name='M_Rated']Most other stores have tax so that's a deal, say $25 tax in most states & free shipping is a good deal because the average drive to pick it up in store is $5 for a couple gallons of gas.[/QUOTE]

Hear that, CAGs? Everything Amazon sells with no tax and/or free shipping is a deal! I gots to get to postin! (Apologies to Cheapy if I clog up CAG with a few thousand threads...).

A couple of gallons of gas to go to the store? Either you live in BFE, or you need to hurry up and take advantage of Cash for Clunkers... :)

[quote name='indieinsd']BC would kill the Ps2 and Sony is not ready to do that yet.[/QUOTE]

Because the demographic buying the PS2 these days (lower income, young families watching expenses) for $99 is so price insensitive they would readily shelve that plan and fork over another $200 for a PS3, plus $20-30 more for each PS3 game, plus $10-25 more for each Blu-ray movie - if only the PS3 had BC...

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has been quoted as saying: "the only way to kill the PS2 business is to stop supporting it." Or maybe to sell a BC PS3 for $129. But not $300.

Still no ship date listed. Now I'm starting to wonder why if gamestop has listed theirs as shipping next week. Maybe Amazon isn't since they dint know If they'll have enough on release to fill all the orders? I can't imagine as big as they are that they would get them later than kmart and gamestop.

well guys in response to all these crying posts about no bc i only have one thing to say. YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY THE SYSTEM WITH BC AND CHOSE NOT TO, THAT IS YOUR OWN MISTAKE.

I got a 20 gb at launch and yes, it did cost me way more than the current system. But I have BC and you are at the mercy of Sony. anyways stop complaining like little girls. seriously itll be out in a firmware update sooner than later.

[quote name='rs600cubed']Still no ship date listed. Now I'm starting to wonder why if gamestop has listed theirs as shipping next week. Maybe Amazon isn't since they dint know If they'll have enough on release to fill all the orders? I can't imagine as big as they are that they would get them later than kmart and gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Yea it's starting to bother me that amazon hasn't listed a ship date yet; by all accounts the latest should be Sep 1st so how does amazon not know when it is shipping.

Ya I was hoping knowing them in the past it would ship today or Monday to arrive Monday or Tuesday with the one day shipping I got.

To all the BC fans - with the new $100 price cut, the price of used PS3's should go down as well. In the next month, used PS3's with BC could probably be had for $200 - $250.

[quote name='etschell']well guys in response to all these crying posts about no bc i only have one thing to say. YOU HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY THE SYSTEM WITH BC AND CHOSE NOT TO, THAT IS YOUR OWN MISTAKE.

I got a 20 gb at launch and yes, it did cost me way more than the current system. But I have BC and you are at the mercy of Sony. anyways stop complaining like little girls. seriously itll be out in a firmware update sooner than later.[/QUOTE]

I know you don't care because you already have BC (so do I btw) but BC is NEVER coming back to the PS3. Here's a link to the article where Sony states that fact.

[quote name='ikaden']I know you don't care because you already have BC (so do I btw) but BC is NEVER coming back to the PS3. Here's a link to the article where Sony states that fact.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't believe it. Sony is going to say what works for them right now and then, and isn't going to announce a future feature until it is ready to be released. Sony has denied nearly everything that has seen an eventual release, and I would assume the same of BC. We already know Sony has patents on software emulation of the PS2 so it's only a matter of time until it is released.

Do you guys really believe every thing you hear, especially when PR is concerned?

[quote name='ikaden']I know you don't care because you already have BC (so do I btw) but BC is NEVER coming back to the PS3. Here's a link to the article where Sony states that fact.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean anything. Sony also said rumble was the past and would never happen for PS3. I'm sure Sony haters can come up with more examples.

Companies change their business strategies all the time. I can easily see a situation where Sony would release a BC emu update for the PS3 once PS2 sales dry up... if that ever happens, lol.

[quote name='Puffa469']That doesn't mean anything. Sony also said rumble was the past and would never happen for PS3. I'm sure Sony haters can come up with more examples.

Companies change their business strategies all the time. I can easily see a situation where Sony would release a BC emu update for the PS3 once PS2 sales dry up... if that ever happens, lol.[/QUOTE]

Sony has lied to everyone a lot in the past years so it's possible they could be lying again. I think people are being a little naive to think Sony will release a firmware to allow them to play their old PS2 games on their PS3 with software emulation. If anything happens with PS2 emulation it will be that you will have to buy your games again on PSN.

bread's done
Back