Amazon DotD (11/30) - Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa (PC) - $29.99

It's a MMORPG. I've read that it plays quite differently from the standard MMORPG, so those who don't like the way games like WoW play may want to give this game a shot instead.

That's probably one of the nerdiest names for a game that I've ever heard of. Looks like fun though. Anyone know if there is a monthly fee?

[quote name='PrarieD0G']That's probably one of the nerdiest names for a game that I've ever heard of. Looks like fun though. Anyone know if there is a monthly fee?[/quote]

LOL do you know what a Tabula Rasa is?

[quote name='Trojita']LOL do you know what a Tabula Rasa is?[/quote]

A year ago, no, umm six months ago, yes. But it is a nerdy name and few people will probably get the reference.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']That's probably one of the nerdiest names for a game that I've ever heard of. Looks like fun though. Anyone know if there is a monthly fee?[/quote]

Yes, there is indeed the standard MMO subscription fee

wikipedia claims a tabula rasa is a "clean slate" in latin, meaning that human beings are born with no prior knowledge and that they must learn everything from their environment and surroundings... i'd say the name is more philisophical than nerdy...

I beta tested this and am currently subscribed. Basically here's a summary:

Humans are at war with a alien species. They send you to a distant planet for training. Part of your training is obtaining logos, which are special superhuman abilities that aid you in fighting the aliens which are about 3 times the size of you and randomly appear out of drop ships. After basic training they drop you in and you travel to other planets and such taking on missions. It reminds me of a futuristic guild wars more then WOW. Plus the same company makes this game and the Guild Wars series (also City of Heroes/Villans, AutoAssault, Dungeon Runners).

An example of logos is the lightning ability. I can target an alien with my right mouse button and send lightning out of my hands to shock him and often knock 1/4ths of his hit points out. You can pick professions to train in too.

Very fun game, but also very time consuming. You level much slower in this game then in WOW. Many of the missions entail running around and locating logos shrines to meditate at, or exchanging info to get items in return. Not sure if I'll stay subscribed long term ($15 a month) since I have tons of games piling up. I've played Hellgate London and liked this much better. WOW has a much larger population but I found myself getting totally lost in it. This game has a better pace, but it is also smaller then the WOW world.

[quote name='creeeaature']Richard Garriott did Ultima Online[/quote]

And left EA as EA pillaged the game into hell. With NCSoft, you started up shit creek without a paddle, with EA you lost the paddle halfway down the creek.

This game is bad, I'd seriously avoid it, especially with the fee attached, then again I can't recommend any NCSoft products, most of them use the same engine/systems, and tend to be just re-skins of previous games. Also note its not a real shooter, auto-aiming (targeting) works just as well as manually shooting, and you get no benefit to having any skill aiming, so you might aswel just leave everything with the targeting system. Its just a generic MMO. They took City of Heros and made it SciFi really, just with a lack of customization and exploration.

Also - Enjoy the grindfest.

bread's done
Back