Amazon DotD 9/28 Nier PS3/360 $27.99

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Hmmm, I'm very tempted by this price, what you guys think?[/QUOTE]

Whenever Nier is brought up, I can't not think about this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

In all seriousness, it turns out the guy was fishing in the wrong spot, despite the map showing him where he needed to go. So it was partially his fault, but still- that's something major that was overlooked. Except for that I've heard it's fairly decent, but I think it'll drop lower.

Got this the last time it was DotD, but I would've definitely paid full price for this game. At $27.99, this game definitely shouldn't be ignored.

Yeah, very tempted but I think I'll be able to get it for $20 sooner or later - and in the mean time I have plenty of other games to play ;).

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Whenever Nier is brought up, I can't not think about this.

In all seriousness, it turns out the guy was fishing in the wrong spot, despite the map showing him where he needed to go. So it was partially his fault, but still- that's something major that was overlooked. Except for that I've heard it's fairly decent, but I think it'll drop lower.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm definitely gonna get this game, I'm just wondering if it's likely to drop any farther any time soon. Maybe I'll just wait till Black Friday.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Nah, I'm definitely gonna get this game, I'm just wondering if it's likely to drop any farther any time soon. Maybe I'll just wait till Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

It was $10 used on Amazon during a GoHastings glitch about a month ago, and a lot of people got in on it then. And while it was a glitch, they clearly didn't have any problem filling out the majority of Nier orders, while they shipped out much fewer of Yakuza 3.

At this point, I'd just wait for... Like... Fable 3, unless you're dying to kill the wait with something.

Yeesh. That $6.99 price from Gohastings last August must have been a price-mistake after all. They're selling them for nearly thirty now.

[quote name='sadboy']Yeesh. That $6.99 price from Gohastings last August must have been a price-mistake after all. They're selling them for nearly thirty now.[/QUOTE]

You mean this august? and yeah, it was obviously a price mistake. Sucks I didn't get to exploit it. damn el hoardo's.

[quote name='doodofdoods']You mean this august? and yeah, it was obviously a price mistake. Sucks I didn't get to exploit it. damn el hoardo's.[/QUOTE]
Well, it was unclear at the time, because of the fact they restocked a number of times and didn't change the price. People were speculating they were just clearing stock or whatever. Beyond that, they were selling Dead of Rights and Yakuza as well for a similar price.

Damn I'm tempted but I think I'm going to pass. Too big a backlog and it'll probably be at least this price if not lower for some time.
I haven't even started Demon's Souls yet. Thanks anyway OP.

Ordered a copy, will be here by Thursday. I've had my eye on this game for a while, and even though some reviews are a little harsh, most actually have positive things to say about the game, and almost every single one states how emotional this game get you.

I would wait for it to be lower unless you love really strange games/stories. The graphics are very Ps2 like except for the bosses and some cut scenes. Not a bad game, but not really very good either in my opinion. Just one of those "meh" games that may appeal to a few.

Very tempted, loved it when I rented it. I'll mull over it for the moment.

But despite the graphics looking like an HD-ified PS2 game, Nier has alot of heart and soul put into it. And the music especially is beautiful.

Despite the bad reviews, this game surprised me. I bought it simply to see the story as I did with Drakengard, and was going to just plow through the gameplay. However I actually found myself liking the gameplay a lot more than I thought I would, it's really fun actually. Besides fishing and farming, which btw you only need to fish once and don't have to farm at all (unless you are a completionist) I do not see any reason not to get this game now.

This game really surprised me. The main character wasn't your typical whiny JRPG character, the story wasn't half bad, and it was just plain creative.

And about the fishing - Once you start fishing in the right spot, if you fail a couple of times, it just gives you the damn fish. I never successfully caught a fish and was still able to finish the game. It's like they knew it sucked.

Just a quick snipit of a review

Nier is ugly and it can get really repetitive, forcing players to backtrack multiple times across familiar locations. But for every frustration I encountered in Nier, there were surprising gameplay twists, unsettling aesthetics and intriguing characters to meet. The ideas that Nier was built on are extremely solid -- the execution just falls short.

If you're still the type to rent or borrow a game and you have a free weekend, you can get through Nier in about 20 hours or so. I'd say it's worth it, despite the game's faults -- especially when you consider the endearing cast contained within.

I got this a while ago for 20 new on ebay and it was worth every penny. My only complaint is the main characters face is so ugly it might be distracting.

Question about trading in. I am wanting to trade my copy of MW2 in. The problem is that it has two holes in the plastic and coverart. (Don't ask how this happened haha). I can change the case out easily enough. The coverart I can't though, will this game be accepted?

I picked this up for $25 a couple weeks back during the "buy Halo Reach and get $25 coupon + $25 off another game" sale by picking Nier as my other game, and I thought it was worth it. If you're interested in playing a weird ass game, I would say go for it.

Strong points of the game are definitely the endearing characters (who have good voice acting as well, especially Weiss, the floating book) and the intriguing story. Also, one of the first things I noticed was that the music in this game is absolutely gorgeous. There are a lot of weird gameplay twists as well - the game likes to do a lot of weird perspective shifts and it will sometimes seem like a bullet hell game, for example. There are some other things I could mention but don't want to ruin.

On the flip side, it's not a great looking game, and the combat can get very mashy sometimes - it's definitely an action RPG, emphasis on the action part. You get a pretty decent array of magic, but I found myself going back to 2 or 3 of them over and over again. I like the way the enemies look, but I really wish there had been more than 3 or 4 enemy types. I will say that there are a LOT of bosses in this game, and most of them are pretty unique, which makes up for the lack of enemy variety.

There are a lot of sidequests and weapon upgrading you can do (which requires you to gather materials), but it can get repetitive, so I recommend spreading all that throughout the main story, rather than doing it all at once.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Whenever Nier is brought up, I can't not think about this.

In all seriousness, it turns out the guy was fishing in the wrong spot, despite the map showing him where he needed to go. So it was partially his fault, but still- that's something major that was overlooked. Except for that I've heard it's fairly decent, but I think it'll drop lower.[/QUOTE]

Funny I did that exact same thing and wasted a good hour of my life doing it. The game as a whole is OK... that's all I can really say about it. It's a bit weird, funky, fairly tedious... In a lot of way's it's FF12 without a party and without the great story.

What's the difficulty like in this game? I usually play games more for the story than difficulty -- just wondering if I would have an easy enough time beating the game.

[quote name='Dysheekie']What's the difficulty like in this game? I usually play games more for the story than difficulty -- just wondering if I would have an easy enough time beating the game.[/QUOTE]
There is an easy setting. I played it on this just to see the story and beat the game in about 12 hours and did not come close to dying.

Wait for $20 price point hopefully around Black Friday. It's from Square-Enix, so there will be plenty and easy to find down the road.

Definitely a sleeper hit in my book and a game that I'll remember for a long time to come.

Mostly due to the story, characters and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack.

Also it's very much worth nothing that there's one particular ending in the game(it has multiple) that should win an award in creativity and impact.

It's not an easy game to get into but once you delve in to the game and not get sidetracked by a plethora sidequests, I think you might be pleasantly surprised at how thoroughly enjoyable this game is.

Just bought it. I've been on the look out for a good deal on this game for a while now and I just had to pick it up now, especially since i still had $20 credit from the Amazon Reach preorder. Can't wait to start this :)

bread's done
Back